dafuge's FM09 challenge

Ok no problem, I'll just test the game until your thread comes out, but don't be too late :D

Thanks for the warning!

In FM09 it was all about speed. Fast players are the key. Scout/trial as many as you can. The list is filled with freebies.

• Replies 19.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
btw how do you determine which teams are eligible for promotion and how do you find out their reputation?

Just curious :)

The teams are in the leagues immediately below the BSN/BSS and their reputation can be found in the pre-game editor that comes with the game.

FC United of Manchester - Barclays Premier League - 2021/22

League Table

League Positions Graph

Our 107 game unbeaten run came to an end at the hands of Spurs mid-season, but that didn’t stop us claiming our 7th straight Premier League title

Community Shield – A comfortable game

European Super Cup – A relatively easy game and good win to kickstart our season.

Club World Cup – Why do the others bother? 2 big wins, Brennan grabbing a hat-trick in both as we clinched our 5th successive CWC Title

Carling Cup – We had an easier draw this year, which helped us to said through the rounds with ease before pipping Arsenal in the final! :)

FA Cup – We were completely dominant against an out of sorts Chelsea team

UEFA Champions League We sailed through to the final with no fuss. The Final itself was a tight affair, Brennan broke the deadlock with his 105th goal of the season and Carr sealed the trophy with a 35 yard stunner! :D

Transfers– Ryan McIntosh was the only acquisition this year and came in to rotate with Puckett

Finances We continue to make a large profit due to selling out the stadium every match.

Information Overview, Facilities, Scouting &Affiliates

Squad – This is the year where the golden generation, or the majority of them, peaked, so the look of this may change dramatically in the future as they start to age and retire :(

Squad Profiles:

Andy Murray – Nowhere near the first team all season

Paddy Pitcher – Superb all season long, will have the World Cup to look forward to

Remy Riou – Got nearer the team this year, but didn’t make an appearance as Pitcher was on top of his game

Cyprien Papon – A decent season, although very error prone at times. Attributes rising though

Alexander Cuellar – He’s 31 now, but he’s still a fantastic player!

Steve Foster – Played just 3 games due to a severe injury in October that kept him out until the start of May

Robert Neumann – Our star centre back is still going strong, even at 32

Zhang Jian Hardly any games due to Neumann, Roche and Davies performing magnificently all year long.

Kevin Roche – He’s turned into a fantastic partner for Neumann, and will be one of the first names on the team sheet for years to come

Marvin Davies – Attributes rising thanks to a storming breakthrough season

David Vrba – Almost 30, but still ripping the opposition defence’s to pieces!

Jordan Stead – He’s really starting to look like a suitable replacement for Vrba

John Puckett – Just sensational, possibly his best year ever

Fernando – Going to be shipped out soon, just not good enough anymore

Stuart McGoldrick – A decent amount of games, put appearances limited by injury

Ryan McIntosh – Signed in January and made an instant impact

Ali Kvarnlof The Finnish sensation was back to his brilliant best this year

Sam Carr Exceptional all season long

Ryan Ford – Injury curtailed his season by around 3 months

Harry Parsons – Not going to be good enough to reach the first team, now rated as having the potential to be a good Championship centre mid

Stewart Leach – Injuries plagued his season, but still managed to play well when he appeared

Armand Demanage Just wow. Best season yet, and he’s got a couple more years at his peak yet!

Max Morrison Played a bit part role, stepping in when I needed to rest Demanage

Michael Potts The legend turned 30, managed to keep up his record of scoring in every season with us, and decided that he’s going to become a coach! :D

Michael Thuller – Hardly any games at all, now 4th in the pecking order behind Smith, Beckford and Brennan!

Liam Smith – He came through my academy at the start of the season and had a sensational first year, already rated as a Leading Championship/Decent Premier League player!

Marc Beckford – What a season, scoring over 35 in the same side as Brennan is an amazing feat

Bernard Brennan – The Irish CSE Forum legend broke the 100 goal barrier for the 2nd season in succession, smashing in a ludicrous 105 goals at an average of 1.54 goals a game. He’ll easily get 1,000 at this rate, and he’s still got a few more years at his peak yet!

Aims for Next Year and the Future

· Find some players capable of replacing the ageing “Golden Generation”

· Expand the Stadium

· Retain the World Cup this summer with England

Awards:

CWC Best Player

World Footballer of the Year

World Player of the Year

World Team of the Year

European Golden Boot

European Footballer of the Year

European Striker of the Year

European Defender of the Year

European Midfielder of the Year

Champions League Best Player

Champions League Dream Team

Champions League Golden Boot

EPL Manager of the Year

EPL Team of the Year

EPL Top Scorer

English Footballer of the Year

English Players’ Player of the Year

Career Overview

Season       Division                     Position      Achievements                                 
2009/10     |Blue Square North           |1st          |BSN Champions
2010/11     |Blue Square Premier         |1st          |BSP Champions
2011/12     |League 2                    |5th          |Lost in Playoff Final, FA Cup Semi-Finalists
2012/13     |League 2                    |1st          |L2 Title
2013/14     |League 1                    |1st          |L1 Title
2014/15     |Championship                |3rd          |Playoff Winners, FA Cup Finalists 
2015/16     |English Premier Division    |1st          |FA Cup Winners, EPL Title
2016/17     |English Premier Division    |1st          |EPL Title, CL Winners, CS Winners
2017/18     |English Premier Division    |1st          |EPL Title, CL Winners, CS Winners, Super Cup Winners, FA Cup Winners, LC Winners, CWC Winners
2018/19     |English Premier Division    |1st          |EPL Title, CL Winners, CS Winners, Super Cup Winners, FA Cup Winners, CWC Winners
2019/20     |English Premier Division    |1st          |EPL Title, CL Winners, CS Winners, CWC Winners
2020/21     |English Premier Division    |1st          |EPL Title, CL Winners, CS Winners, Super Cup Winners, FA Cup Winners, LC Winners, CWC Winners
2021/22     |English Premier Division    |1st          |EPL Title, CL Winners, CS Winners, Super Cup Winners, FA Cup Winners, LC Winners, CWC Winners

Brennan played every game?!

Not quite, he missed 1 cup replay.

As he's very well developed, i keep his training intensity quite low compared to the others in order to make sure that he is fit for most matches when they are 3-4 days apart. I also rest him and pull him out of training when needed.

He's also picks up very few injuries, which is key to our success :thup:

That is a fantastic season. It baffles me that Brennan is only valued at £18 million. I would have thought he would be the most expensive player on the game.

You lot make me so jealous. I still have not completed this

It is very low tbh, but i don't care! :D

How have you been getting on recently anyway, been a couple of months since you last posted in here.

I have won the Champions League twice and finished in the top 3 of the Premiership for the last 6 years but never won it. I am having one last season to try and win it. If I do I will do a mega update to show every season in an overview

I have to say, I have been really unimpressed by the FM10 demo. I actually uninstalled it 2 days after downloading it. I believe that this was due to the new layout/skin, which I absolutely hate so much. I've pre-ordered regardless and hopefully the 'fm09-esque skin' that you can apparently get via activating with steam is good enough for my liking. I will no doubt be back in Billericay for more lower league action in the coming weeks/months though!

I have to say, I have been really unimpressed by the FM10 demo. I actually uninstalled it 2 days after downloading it. I believe that this was due to the new layout/skin, which I absolutely hate so much. I've pre-ordered regardless and hopefully the 'fm09-esque skin' that you can apparently get via activating with steam is good enough for my liking. I will no doubt be back in Billericay for more lower league action in the coming weeks/months though!

I'm quite surprised by that, I love the new skin and find going back to FM09 very difficult. Saying that though, there are always going to be people who do not like the new skins and this one is fairly revolutionary.

From what I've heard, the FM09 style skin is identical to the old FM09 skin, so if you liked that then you should be fine.

I'm quite surprised by that, I love the new skin and find going back to FM09 very difficult. Saying that though, there are always going to be people who do not like the new skins and this one is fairly revolutionary.

From what I've heard, the FM09 style skin is identical to the old FM09 skin, so if you liked that then you should be fine.

This is how I thought the skin should have been for the last couple of versions. However it has taken me a while to get used to it.

FC United Career Overview

Season 1 - League and Transfers

Season 2 - League and Transfers

Season 3 - League and Transfers

Season 4 - League and Transfers

Season 5 - League and Transfers

Season 6 - League and Transfers

Season 7 - League and Transfers

Season 8 - League and Transfers

Season 9 - League and Transfers

Season 10 - League and Transfers

Season 11 - League and Transfers

Season 12 - League and Transfers

Season 13 - League and Transfers

Season 14 - League and Transfers

Season 15 - League and Transfers

Season 16 - League and Transfers and Champions League

Season 17 - League and Transfers

Season 18 - League and Transfers and Champions League

Season 19 - League and Transfers

Season 20 - League and Transfers

Challenge Complete :D

If you want any other screenshots just ask :thup:

YNWALFC:

Saw that Man utd became a bit of a yo yo club by the end. Whats their story? eg when did Sir Alex leave/key players etc. Also Newcastle won a few championships did they get a tycoon takeover?

Yeap Newcastle got a Tycoon takeover. They still seem to have millions to spend just now but most of it seems to be wasted on last seasons performance. They have won the Premiership 7 times since 2017 and the Champions League 5 times since 2018

As for Man U, Sir Alex left in 2011, Roberto Mancini was there untill 2014 and he won the League Cup twice, Gary Neville took over from him but he was sacked 6 months later and replaced with Roy Keane. He was their for 6 years and won a FA Cup and then Iain Holloway took over in 2021 who was there for 3 years but did nothing apart from appoint and reappoint captains. After he left Mike Newell took charge but he only lasted for 1 year. Paul Jewell took over from him and immediatley got them relegated so he was sacked in 2026, Mike Phelan was the next man in, He got them promoted back to the premiership and then relegated again so he resigned. Leroy Rosenior is now in charge and lost in the playoffs last season, David Gill left a chairman last season and a consortium took over the club.

There main problem was that they never bought anybody and when they did the players were not replacements for the ones they had sold. Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez all stayed untill the end of their careers and tbh if it was not for them I think they would have been relegated a long time before. After they all left that is when they really started to struggle

Thanks everyone for your comments

I hated the new skin at first, though having used it for the last couple of months I find it hard to go back to the FM09 skin.

On another note this is the first time I've had the actual game before the challenge has started, it feels weird having to wait for everyone else :)

I hated the new skin at first, though having used it for the last couple of months I find it hard to go back to the FM09 skin.

Same here. For a while I was playing both games and it is very difficult to switch between the two.

On another note this is the first time I've had the actual game before the challenge has started, it feels weird having to wait for everyone else :)

As soon as the patch is released we can kick off, I'm sure we can hold on for another couple of days :D

So with the game released and installed I can now go into a bit more detail about the new starting options. On starting a new game you can now retain players by:

Nation Based

Nationality

Top division clubs

Top clubs

Cont. Reputation

Nat. Reputation

Current International Players.

You can select them by Nation, Region or Continent.

Though the game doesn't have the ability to retain the challenge players without using an edt file again.

Though it does have a new feature - when a team is promoted into a playable league the game will generate players for it if it doesn't have any.

Which brings the question of do we still retain the real players for the challenge teams or do we let the computer generate players for them on promotion?

In addition do we retain any extra players to make things more competive in Europe?

I've run some quick tests to see how many players the game generates with different settings:

Small 9,000

Medium 12,000

Large 15,000

Default + Players from Top Euro clubs

Small 12000

Medium 15000

Large 18000

Default + Players from Top world clubs

Small 12000

Medium 15000

Large 18000

Retain Challenge Players

Small 12,000

Medium 15,000

Large 18,000

Retain Challenge Players + Players from Top Euro clubs

Small 14,000

Medium 17,000

Large 20,000

Retain Challenge Players + Players from Top world clubs

Small 15,000

Medium 18,000

Large 21,000

- So increasing the database size on it's own adds 3,000 players.

- Retaining all the challenge players adds 3,000 players.

- Retaining players from the top clubs in the world adds 3,000 players - adding Europe on it's own is 3,000, adding non-europeans only seems to add 1,000 with the challenge players.

- Retaining both the challenge players and players from top clubs from the world adds 6,000 players.

I like having the challenge players retained, on the flip side I guess if squads are generated when a team is promoted we will see different players in each save.

Does retaining players from top world clubs affect the regeneration of youth in the future?

I was going to go with a large database, challenge teams file and players from top clubs from each continent. This gave me a database of around 20000. The thinking behind this is it will make things better in the long term game, for when we are able to scout abroad. Nothing really needs to be changed in the short term since the scouting is limited.

For people who want smaller setups I was going to offer the choice of a smaller database and not loading all the top players.

What I don't want is people setting it up however they want, I thought 20000 was a reasonable limit.

I was going to go with a large database, challenge teams file and players from top clubs from each continent. This gave me a database of around 20000. The thinking behind this is it will make things better in the long term game, for when we are able to scout abroad. Nothing really needs to be changed in the short term since the scouting is limited.

For people who want smaller setups I was going to offer the choice of a smaller database and not loading all the top players.

What I don't want is people setting it up however they want, I thought 20000 was a reasonable limit.

If possible, it'd be great if you could include enough international players that there should be a wider variety of nationalities being generated, and a wider range of potential international jobs available.

Also... how come people have got the game early? It's not the 30th yet.

Excuse my ignorance but how do you load top players from top clubs. I thought you could only add other players by adding additional nations.

It is a feature of the new game. If any of you have it, try going to database size - custom while setting up a new game, you can see the options there.

I found the white skin awful but switching to the black version really smoothed things for me. I like the new feel of it, although I cannot find anything :D

If possible, it'd be great if you could include enough international players that there should be a wider variety of nationalities being generated, and a wider range of potential international jobs available.

Also... how come people have got the game early? It's not the 30th yet.

This should widen the range of nationalities but it will favour the larger nations since most of the top clubs are more likely to have their players in their squads. To open up all of the smaller nations we would have to go for really big databases with a lot more players, which isn't fun for those of us who want to play the game in the long term.

Quite a few people have received their game in the post early, a few retailers dispatched them earlier than they should have to beat the postal strike. Since the patch is due for release on Friday, hopefully no one will miss out by not being able to start yet.

I found the white skin awful but switching to the black version really smoothed things for me. I like the new feel of it, although I cannot find anything :D

It does take a bit of getting used to but after a while you should find it easy enough to use.

Once you've got used to it, try going back, you'll be lost :D

It does take a bit of getting used to but after a while you should find it easy enough to use.

Once you've got used to it, try going back, you'll be lost :D

I haven't played FM10 enough to get lost in FM09 :cool: I'm still playing the Chippenham save, mostly because I don't want to start a new game in FM10 before I get my hands on the full version.

Can anyone who already has the game maybe post the club reputations of the teams involved in the upcoming challenge just so people (i.e me :D) have an idea of what teams are likely to be easy and which hard.

i was thinking about maybe giving it a miss at the start but i've reconsidered and am thinking of maybe taking merthyr all the way this time. it was a real shame totton fell at the final hurdle last season and so are not available although didcot is a possible if not too low

This should widen the range of nationalities but it will favour the larger nations since most of the top clubs are more likely to have their players in their squads. To open up all of the smaller nations we would have to go for really big databases with a lot more players, which isn't fun for those of us who want to play the game in the long term.

Quite a few people have received their game in the post early, a few retailers dispatched them earlier than they should have to beat the postal strike. Since the patch is due for release on Friday, hopefully no one will miss out by not being able to start yet.

Well, what are the numbers like if you just retain the international players for European national teams?

yeah, the fact that I kept getting lost was what did it for me. I kept trying to find the squad page then the reserve/u18 bit and got confused. I'll be fine with the fm09 style skin though :D

There's a FM09 style skin included in the final package? Screenshot please :)

Well, what are the numbers like if you just retain the international players for European national teams?

Adding all current European National players adds another 3,000 players - I've just tested that and it only generates full internationals, the only U21/U19 players it generates are ones who have already been capped by the full side, so I have no idea if that will make more nationals be generated in the future or not?

Hitchin Town- 2014/2015 - Championship

Championship - 11th

FA Cup - 3rd Round: Leyton Orient 1-1 Hitchin

3rd Round Replay: Hitchin 1-2 Leyton Orient

League Cup: 1st Round: Hitchin 3-1 Crystal Palace

2nd Round: Leicester 3-1 Hitchin

Notes: 1) Reach the Playoffs

2) Sign a quality attacking left midfielder

3) Expand the stadium from the current 4000 capacity (700 seated)

Archived