FMS Community Thread Episode VIII: Disneyland

tenthreeleader

40 minutes ago, CFuller said:

I'm particularly annoyed that they've taken away the timebar in the name of "realism". I can understand why you wouldn't have this available to you during a match for realism's sake - but then again, 'pausing' the game to make tactical changes isn't technically realistic either.

However, you also don't get to see a timebar (or even any kind of text match report) for previous matches. You can still view goals and other notable events on demand, but viewing any other match highlights (for example, if you want to analyse some chances your team missed) is a nightmarish chore.

As an FM story writer, it's going to make covering my matches in any kind of depth much more difficult. If you want to write any stories on FM21, then you'll probably have to make huge changes to how you write stories. If you're thinking of writing a 10-3 style epic, then you might as well forget it.

I just copy the text from the report.

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, CFuller said:

I'm particularly annoyed that they've taken away the timebar in the name of "realism". I can understand why you wouldn't have this available to you during a match for realism's sake - but then again, 'pausing' the game to make tactical changes isn't technically realistic either.

However, you also don't get to see a timebar (or even any kind of text match report) for previous matches. You can still view goals and other notable events on demand, but viewing any other match highlights (for example, if you want to analyse some chances your team missed) is a nightmarish chore.

As an FM story writer, it's going to make covering my matches in any kind of depth much more difficult. If you want to write any stories on FM21, then you'll probably have to make huge changes to how you write stories. If you're thinking of writing a 10-3 style epic, then you might as well forget it.

is it possible to compile match reports on players who are playing at your club? Because I can compile match reports on players I have on loan, and these reports come with a highlights package of that players involvement in said game.

I watch my games on extended highlights, and anything that isn't shown on the pitch, if I click on the visualiser it allows me to "view highlight" for something my players or the opposition did. Though I only noticed this during an actual game I haven't tried to go back and do it on a historical match.

Overall I like it, most of the changes that annoy me are from an update / thread based annoyance and not a game play one. I like the realism of the majority of the new  meetings lay out. Where the information is spread around the screen and it means I have to go looking for it like I would in real life, rather than it just being there in a list at the end of a team talk. On the pitch, the ME feels much better, I'm playing a high pressing style and I am yet to see two or more of my players go charging after the same player to demonstrate "pressing". Players engage more with long balls and headers, trying to make interceptions. So when they make mistakes, it makes more sense why the opponent got into the position they did, rather than it looking like the ball pinballed off 2-3 players before just happening to fall at the feet of their striker. 

I've only posted 1200 words of a story so far, but I thought this might be of interest to a literary orientated football forum. Rashford, aside from tackling childhood hunger, is setting up a reading club for kids, to help them escape their worries.

Fresh from his free school meal campaign, Marcus Rashford has launched a book club to help children experience the escapism of reading.

The Manchester United player has teamed up with Macmillan Children's Books (MCB) in an effort to promote reading and literacy to children across all socio-economic backgrounds.

He said he wishes he had been given the chance to read earlier in life, adding his family prioritised food over books when it came to budgeting.

https://news.sky.com/story/marcus-rashford-launches-book-club-so-children-can-experience-escapism-of-reading-12134410

The guy is already doing wonders, and he's gone even further with this.

• 4 weeks later...

HIya, and thanks (genuinely) to the mod who closed my thread for directing me over here. I figured there was something like this, but couldn't find it readily. 

I am, or was, spurzgrrl, from back in the 2003-2005 era, and wondered if anyone is still around from then. I decided to reprise a save I did on this board recently, and got curious whether it still existed (it does). No harm or offence taken if you don't remember me, this is just idle curiosity and nostalgia posting. :)

I can be reached on Twitter at OldLadyPlays too. It's nice to be back, I look forward to reading some of your work. :)

10 minutes ago, OldLadyPlays said:

HIya, and thanks (genuinely) to the mod who closed my thread for directing me over here. I figured there was something like this, but couldn't find it readily. 

I am, or was, spurzgrrl, from back in the 2003-2005 era, and wondered if anyone is still around from then. I decided to reprise a save I did on this board recently, and got curious whether it still existed (it does). No harm or offence taken if you don't remember me, this is just idle curiosity and nostalgia posting. :)

I can be reached on Twitter at OldLadyPlays too. It's nice to be back, I look forward to reading some of your work. :)

Very welcome. Thanks for taking it in the spirit it was intended. And again, welcome back (genuinely), look forward to reading your reprise here too :)

26 minutes ago, OldLadyPlays said:

You also won a FMS Award in 2004 for Best Story Title   forThen Senseless Ilium...With Flaming Top, Stoops To His Base...With a Hideous Crash

looking forward to more work from you

Just now, mark wilson27 said:

You also won a FMS Award in 2004 for Best Story Title   forThen Senseless Ilium...With Flaming Top, Stoops To His Base...With a Hideous Crash

looking forward to more work from you

And by random chance, that's the save I'm reprising, though this time on YouTube, and with a much less impressive name. Thank you for the welcome. :)

On 15/12/2020 at 12:53, OldLadyPlays said:

welcome back :) i'm relatively new blood here, so unfortunately no I don't know you. However that does present me with the fabulous opportunity of getting to know you!

looking forward to reading your work.

Well guys its now time for the Annual 15-1 wilson story....So those who wants to have their name in just let me know either by PM or on here.

Also whether you want it as an international one or club.. 

If a club we need which country

If International which region

Cheers Guys

Count me in Mark, always up for a humiliating early exit. International throws up a potentially longer game with a much bigger top-to-bottom disparity of expectations (England expected to win everything vs San Marino expected to keep existing, for example) - I'd be curious to see that this time. If we stay domestic, maybe the madness that is Australia?

22 hours ago, mark wilson27 said:

Well guys its now time for the Annual 15-1 wilson story....So those who wants to have their name in just let me know either by PM or on here.

Also whether you want it as an international one or club.. 

If a club we need which country

If International which region

Cheers Guys

Why not. I vote International, maybe somewhere with high activity like Central America/Caribbean?

So its going to be an International 15-1 this time and based in Africa...

So far we have

mark wilson27, Dalbeider, Neilhoskins, EvilDave and BenArsenal

Going to be looking at starting it around the New Year so if anyone else wants in just let me know and I'll add you in

On 28/12/2020 at 20:51, mark wilson27 said:

So its going to be an International 15-1 this time and based in Africa...

So far we have

mark wilson27, Dalbeider, Neilhoskins, EvilDave and BenArsenal

Going to be looking at starting it around the New Year so if anyone else wants in just let me know and I'll add you in

Anymore takers for this little project ?

Evening to all FMSers. Hope you're all keeping well in these testing times?

I haven't been around much lately due to a number of issues, mainly having very little time on my hands, a dodgy laptop and some family troubles, but having just received purchase of a new laptop, I thought I'd pop my head in the door

Interesting little anecdote I thought you'd all find amusing too. So I'm a little bit basic when it comes to computers, and can use them for the most basic of things. Having mentioned this to a friend of mine who works in IT, and in passing mention I had lost my long term FM2020 save (something you'll all realise is heartbreaking), he proceeded to spend 20 minutes on the phone to me explaining how to transfer it from my old laptop, which I luckily still have, to my new one, through Steam

He also guided me through how to download Championship Manager 01/02 for free onto my laptop as a playable game. As one of my favourite ever version's, this made me indelibly happy

So while counting myself lucky that I'm still working through the pandemic, I also have both my long term save and CM01/02 to look forward to

Hopefully I can get back to writing soon but in the meantime, I hope everyone is staying safe

Sherm

I know the feeling about Laptops, mine seems to be getting slower and slower with every game. I have a good back up of stories though but struggling to find motivation at the moment to write.

Will be looking forward to reading some of your work when you post it.

As for favourite games CM01/02 is up their with mine, but the favourite is definately FM07,. However cant play it on my laptop

I was always a fan of FM07, and 05 too. Apparently though they don't work on modern laptops!? Something to do with windows 10 I believe?

I've earmarked a Lisbon lions challenge for 01/02 (always a favourite of mine) and one called 'When in Rome' that has been recommended to me that sounded interesting. And, as always, a lower league save. Carlisle were always a favourite team to play with on 01/02 with a young core of Johnny Allan, Mike Jack and John Hore to build around if I remember rightly, but it was tough the first couple of years

Yeah, Windows 10 is very troublesome when it comes to older games, especially those from around the mid-2000s.

If you wanted to run an older FM on Windows 10, your best bet would probably be to try Compatibility Mode. I managed to get some of the old Championship Manager games working fine on W10 using this, and the FM07 demo as well (though that was a few years ago). It can take quite a bit of 'trial and error', and even then, there's no guarantee anything will work.

Edited by CFuller

Maybe I'll give it a go, thanks for that

I'm currently happy to have 01/02 available though, and I'm sure there's hours of fun to be had with it. Just a shame I can't get old games back on there

One of my favorite ever games was a 20+ year game on 01/02, started with Boston United, ended up with Newcastle and then England. Cherno Samba was still knocking around at 36 or so aswell at that point. Fun times

I've still got a hard drive with a lot of my old CM saves on it, including my first World Cup win with England on CM99/00. I tried to transfer the data over to my new computer about five years ago, but... it didn't go great. I've been meaning to send it off to a data recovery service for some time now and was hoping to actually do it some time this winter. Obviously, that job's really not a priority right now, so I'm having to put it off again.

Anyway... CM01/02. It's not my favourite game by any means, but I'm thinking of starting a new long-term save on it later this year, and maybe even writing a story based on it. Watch this space. ;)

I'd also recommend checking out the champman0102 forums, if you haven't already. They have loads of patches, data updates and whatnot... and even their own story section.:D

Yeah my friend pointed me in their direction for the patches. He said he always used 3.9.68 because of the super Greeks but I was always an ODB kinda guy

I still remember some of the players from that game too. Cherno Samba of course, Mark Kerr was a must for any midfield (and ideal on a Lisbon lions save) and Ibrahim Said were three particular favourite players of mine

I also loved finding hidden gems. I remember signing a young Mike Williamson from Torquay before he was of Newcastle Fame and he was a brilliant defender for me!

Edited by sherm

55 minutes ago, sherm said:

I was always a fan of FM07, and 05 too. Apparently though they don't work on modern laptops!? Something to do with windows 10 I believe?

I've earmarked a Lisbon lions challenge for 01/02 (always a favourite of mine) and one called 'When in Rome' that has been recommended to me that sounded interesting. And, as always, a lower league save. Carlisle were always a favourite team to play with on 01/02 with a young core of Johnny Allan, Mike Jack and John Hore to build around if I remember rightly, but it was tough the first couple of years

Does CM01/02 work on a Windows 10 then?

I'm not technically minded with laptops

Yeah you can download it for free (I used the FM scout website) but you then have to download a program (the name escapes me) that's creates a virtual hard drive on your system that allows you to play it - possibly virtual iso, something like that?

If you go into FM scout and get the link it gives you full instructions. Took me about 10 minutes with my friends help on a video call

Not sure if there's other available versions though

6 hours ago, sherm said:

Yeah you can download it for free (I used the FM scout website) but you then have to download a program (the name escapes me) that's creates a virtual hard drive on your system that allows you to play it - possibly virtual iso, something like that?

I don't think you even need to do that on Windows 10. You can just download the file, right-click on it, and then click Mount on the menu.

mark wilson27, Dalbeider, Neilhoskins, EvilDave , salkster2102, CFuller, Celtic_1967, Gavrenwick, Bagpuss, Mandy42, Affo, Sherm, Drogba11CFC and BenArsenal

We have fourteen now...Does anyone else want to join. COuld do with a few more to make it interesting 

I'll be in Mr. Wilson.

Hello all. Hope everyone is well?

Ive been thinking about an old story that I really enjoyed writing but never finished recently. If I wanted Jumping Through Hoops to be unachieved and re-opened would that be possible please? I'm not certain I do want it just yet, but interested in the possibility.

30 minutes ago, Celtic_1967 said:

I'll be in Mr. Wilson.

Hello all. Hope everyone is well?

Ive been thinking about an old story that I really enjoyed writing but never finished recently. If I wanted Jumping Through Hoops to be unachieved and re-opened would that be possible please? I'm not certain I do want it just yet, but interested in the possibility.

Well hello and glad to see you back here, for however long you will be .

Its good to have you in as the original winner it wouldnt be the same...

I will look at seeing if I can opening your story, depends how long ago it was as quite a few stories have been put in archive

Quick update @Celtic_1967I just looked at the FMS Archives and it wont let me add to it as it says its been archived. I will however ask in the MODS room if their is anyway of opening this. If not the only other way os to copy and paste each post but that could be abit of a ball ache

20 hours ago, mark wilson27 said:

Well hello and glad to see you back here, for however long you will be .

Its good to have you in as the original winner it wouldnt be the same...

I will look at seeing if I can opening your story, depends how long ago it was as quite a few stories have been put in archive

I'm always hanging around. I might be around a bit more if I can coax myself into finishing JTH.

20 hours ago, mark wilson27 said:

Quick update @Celtic_1967I just looked at the FMS Archives and it wont let me add to it as it says its been archived. I will however ask in the MODS room if their is anyway of opening this. If not the only other way os to copy and paste each post but that could be abit of a ball ache

A repost wouldn't be the end of the world, don't go to any extra effort. If I need to repost it I will. :thup:

3 hours ago, Celtic_1967 said:

A repost wouldn't be the end of the world, don't go to any extra effort. If I need to repost it I will. :thup:

At the moment noone has replied to the question I asked in the MOD room. Personally I reckon it would have to be a repost. 

On 08/01/2021 at 13:54, Celtic_1967 said:

That's fine Mark. Appreciate you checking for me.

just to let you know, Neil Brock has got back to me and it looks like he is going to be able to unarchive (If thats even a word) your story, so hold fire on reposting for the time being mate

Hello all you old timers returning, here's another one. I don't check in here anywhere near as much as I should (or would like to). Hope you're all keeping well in these strange times.

@mark wilson27if you need more for the 15-1, stick me in, always a good laugh (and might encourage me to return!).

1 hour ago, WLKRAS said:

Hello all you old timers returning, here's another one. I don't check in here anywhere near as much as I should (or would like to). Hope you're all keeping well in these strange times.

@mark wilson27if you need more for the 15-1, stick me in, always a good laugh (and might encourage me to return!).

I'm not too bad mate. The story database has started so unfortunately I wont be able to add you. However I can add you in any further ones if you want mate. I will be getting a new laptop soon as this one I've got is dying a death very slowly hahaha

1 minute ago, mark wilson27 said:

I'm not too bad mate. The story database has started so unfortunately I wont be able to add you. However I can add you in any further ones if you want mate. I will be getting a new laptop soon as this one I've got is dying a death very slowly hahaha

No worries :thup: