FMS Community Thread Episode VIII: Disneyland

tenthreeleader

1 minute ago, CFuller said:

By that phrase, I mean that that quite a few people (and not necessarily Chelsea fans) seemed to equate 'spending a lot of money on good young players' to 'doing great business'. But of course, that's not always the case, and it will take time for those players to gel.

Chelsea's transfer spending has been quite top-heavy, especially when you look at who you've got in midfield and attack already. Chilwell aside, none of your defensive recruitments convince me. Thiago Silva's a great centre-back but has probably come into the PL too late, Malang Sarr's probably not ready, and would Mendy really be an upgrade on Kepa? I doubt it.

So yeah, I can understand why you might not be so optimistic.

Depending on how much we spent on Mendy (it's not a done deal yet?) if he kicks Kepa up the ass and makes him play like a number 1 then I will be happy. The company line is Thiago Silva will provide an experienced head for our younger defenders (however we loaned out Ethan Ampadu rather than keep him around). Plus statistically Silva is what we need to improve, he passes out well from the back and he is a dominant force defensively in the air (an area we really struggled last season). But that is taking stats from a dominant team in the French top division (no disrespect) and applying them directly to the Premier League, so we will have to see.

Realistically I think Chelsea and PSG have a decent behind the scenes relationship, as we swapped David Luiz enough times.... That is why I think we went for Silva.

But I agree we are seriously top heavy.

Giroud, Abraham, Werner, (batman until he went out on loan)

Mount, Pulisic, Havertz, Ziyech, Hudson-Odoi, Barkley, Kovacic, Kante, Jorginho, and Gilmour if he gets given any  game time.

I think we will play 3 at the back, 3-5-2 gives us the chance to play Kante and two more attack minded players with him in midfield, but restricts our attacking wide choices.

3-4-3 gives us an attacking wide player on each side, but means we only can pick 2 central midfielders from our huge crop...

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So happy to see new faces and some old friends here ... time to update you on what I've been up to.

FM 20 has allowed me to take an extended break from writing while I do two things: 1) study for my Master of Fine Arts degree in creative writing and 2) play some games and see where a save takes me.

I've been playing with Lisburn Distillery in Northern Ireland and it's allowed me to return to my FM roots (I'm LLM at heart, I guess), and try to build with a part-time club. I do plan to write about this and I do plan to post it. Until my course work is done, though, I can't say how regularly it will be posted -- but I'm trying out some of the new things I've learned and hope you all like the result.

how are you finding the degree? As it was suggested to me years ago (a course on writing fiction) I enquired but I didn't like the feedback I received (about what the course entailed) as it left me feeling it would make what I wrote generic, or not really my own.

Edited by Mandy42

Well, this is a two-year project. I've got a required number of credit hours to pass before I get the designation. My first class was a course on the creative process -- how writers become creative and how we stimulate our brains -- and it was amazing. I did some of my very best work in that course and I can't wait to put some of these theories into practice.

Basics of Fiction this term for me, which is sort of like falling off a cliff by comparison. 

On 21/09/2020 at 19:18, mark wilson27 said:

Living the dream mate,hows yourself 

That's great.

I'm alright. Hanging in there. You guys probably have it worse than me over in the UK with all the nonsense that's been going on about lockdowns and etc, so I guess I'm not too bad.

For those of you that havent read the Voting thread you have till Thursday 1ast October Midnight BST.....For the first time in quite a few years  all catergories are very close including the Hall of Fame so there is all to play for.

@spined_wurm, @LucMaugham, @OspreyJ, @Millerman, @sherm, @fat Lion1, @Diego Imposta, @gavrenwick, @1magine, @he_2 and @tenthreeleader you all have the chance to win but need to vote...

Good luck guys

Thanks Mark. I won’t be voting as I haven’t made the time to read any stories this season. Enjoying a stint at Leyton Orient in FM20 but don’t feel the need to write it up. I look forward to the results as a jump-off point, though. Between that and FM21 maybe I’ll find the inspiration. 

On 30/09/2020 at 00:00, mark wilson27 said:

Whilst on topic of the FMS Awards could do with some ideas of humorous places to hold the awards.

Plus I know a few years back one of the forum members did a FMS Awards betting thread,feel free to set one up.

Donald Trumps Accountant's office, if you can find it... just like his taxes 

On 29/09/2020 at 18:00, mark wilson27 said:

Whilst on topic of the FMS Awards could do with some ideas of humorous places to hold the awards.

Plus I know a few years back one of the forum members did a FMS Awards betting thread,feel free to set one up.

Well, let's see here.

1) Joe Biden's basement

2) CDC's Secret Underground COVID bunker

3) Mar-A-Lago Entertainment and Convention Center

4) The Boris Johnson School of Hairstyling and COVID Prevention

On 03/10/2020 at 12:13, CFuller said:

It would be very typically Arsenal if our fans obsessed for MONTHS on social media about signing Thomas Partey... and then he joined Chelsea in the final days of the transfer window.

What's seeming increasingly likely is that we end up with Elneny being our 'like a new signing' of the summer, and while Gabriel and Willian are nice, we carry on to January with next to no creativity in central midfield. The sooner the club can rid itself of some huge and unnecessary wage packets - Ozil, Kolasinac, Mustafi, Sokratis, Luiz presumably at the end of the season - the soon we can stop missing out on targets that actually address the issues in the squad, eg. Auoar. Arteta has been brilliant at playing to the team's strengths since coming in, but there's no denying it's quite a limited side as it stands and he needs some serious backing, especially after convincing Auba to stick around.

On a more positive note, the pandemic means I'm actually going to be able to attend the awards ceremony tonight, which may be a first. Looking forward to joining you all there!

I feel the same way about our midfield. For years, it felt like we didn't have enough steel in there; now we have the substance (to a point) but not the creativity.

I'll probably stop by the awards ceremony as usual, though I'm not nominated for anything and (regrettably) did not vote. Ijist haven't been as active on FMS as I used to be, due partly to me focussing on my blog... but maybe that will change soon.

After two years, I'm starting to think that the blog's not really going where I feel like it could be. My longer match-by-match posts don't really attract or hold much of a blogging audience. I've never been one for quick season updates like most of the top bloggers; I've always been a storyteller first and foremost.

Earlier this year, I spent months working on an FM17 blog story about a Counties Championship where the top English players represented their home counties. I'm very happy with how that turned out, and I'm sure it would have done well on here, but it just didn't attract any real interest in blog form.

It's times like these when I've wondered... what is the point? Why did I go into blogging when I would probably have been better off just sticking to FMS? Sure, my potential audience is much smaller yet more appreciative, and I can post in my own time instead of feeling pressured to keep to a schedule. After all, this is just a hobby for me, not a job.

So yeah... sorry if I'm coming across badly. I'm just at a crossroads when it comes to my FM storywriting and thinking about where to go next.

8 minutes ago, CFuller said:

Earlier this year, I spent months working on an FM17 blog story about a Counties Championship where the top English players represented their home counties. I'm very happy with how that turned out, and I'm sure it would have done well on here, but it just didn't attract any real interest in blog form.

I'm definitely going to be giving that a read. I followed your blog through the FM19 cycle, but forgot to pick it back up again after a couple of months away from things. That sounds genuinely interesting.

I know what you mean about the medium dilemma though - it does feel like we're shrinking on here despite the quality being high, compared to FMCU (which has a place, don't get me wrong) where a few screenshots will get hundreds of views and anyone with a narrative racks up thousands. I'm still convinced FMS is the best place for my work (and by far the most forgiving!) but I can understand you asking the question.

1 hour ago, CFuller said:

I feel the same way about our midfield. For years, it felt like we didn't have enough steel in there; now we have the substance (to a point) but not the creativity.

I'll probably stop by the awards ceremony as usual, though I'm not nominated for anything and (regrettably) did not vote. Ijist haven't been as active on FMS as I used to be, due partly to me focussing on my blog... but maybe that will change soon.

After two years, I'm starting to think that the blog's not really going where I feel like it could be. My longer match-by-match posts don't really attract or hold much of a blogging audience. I've never been one for quick season updates like most of the top bloggers; I've always been a storyteller first and foremost.

It's times like these when I've wondered... what is the point? Why did I go into blogging when I would probably have been better off just sticking to FMS? Sure, my potential audience is much smaller yet more appreciative, and I can post in my own time instead of feeling pressured to keep to a schedule. After all, this is just a hobby for me, not a job.

So yeah... sorry if I'm coming across badly. I'm just at a crossroads when it comes to my FM storywriting and thinking about where to go next.

Do what makes you comfortable mate. I follow your stuff, but know that FMS is a community that's always welcoming, especially for good writers like you.

Chris, this is advice you didn't ask for, but you're surely talented enough to post in more than one place. Obviously you'd be a marvelous fit back here but follow your heart because it's that part of you that keeps you writing.

So, I've been spending an awful lot of time in recent weeks doing play-by-play of local u-19 matches (high school level here in the States) and I'm starting to realize what a snob watching the European game has made me.

Nearly everybody here plays a direct 4-3-3 and too many teams and players play with an "American mentality". They also want to hug the touchlines and play the entire width of the field and most teams don't have players with sufficient wing skills to make games more than a touchline festival. 

I saw a game last week where the teams competently played 3-5-2 and 4-2-3-1 and I nearly jumped for joy. One of the best girls' teams in my state played a rearguard action against the top-ranked team in the state and made it work for 70 minutes. It was beautiful tactical football to watch, stroke and counter-stroke, even if the skill level wasn't at a hugely high standard. More than a few games, though, have made me want to get back to FM20.

I'm absolutely heartbroken.

We moved house on Friday, and when taking a break from painting a wall earlier I saw this article. Chinnor isn't a big place, and when I saw the ages of the family involved my heart sank. A call to their local church office confirmed my worst fears.

I know and love the Powells - Zoe was one of my wife's best friends at university, and we've stayed close despite them moving to the other end of the country. Josh is a real larger-than-life, gentle giant of a man - doting dad, leads the local Scout group, belts out bass in a gospel choir, always tinkering with something. Zoe was a really talented young woman - our house is full of her paintings and drawings - who was quiet, kind, and tireless in lovingly looking after the four children. Phoebe and Simeon were hilarious, full of energy and creativity and yet knowing perfectly how to push the other's buttons. Amelia was the explorer, always asking questions and noticing things an adult never would. And Penelope, the youngest is growing into a bubbling personality, her confidence growing by the day.

Having spent a good portion of the day ringing around friends here in Sheffield delivering the awful news, I'm absolutely broken.

It hurts to know we're never seeing them again, never having the kids run rings round us, pile on us when we visit or get upset about not winning a board game. It hurts to imagine Josh leaving hospital (we pray), distraught at having lost his family and having to bring up Penelope alone, having to figure out this lesser version of life without the woman he married at 16. It hurts to think of little Penny, confused and upset at being torn away from everything she knows and learning that Mummy isn't coming back. It hurts that this has happened just months after they narrowly escaped a house fire and were rebuilding their lives. It hurts to know that the four of them had so much to offer the world, and they'll never had the chance.

Sorry if this is an unusual message for me to post, but putting something down in words after today's news has been a real help. I'm a man of faith, but prayers are just tears at the moment. At the very least, I hope it explains why I might not be particularly active over the next few days.

Edited by EvilDave
BBC have added names now, so have I.

Sorry to hear that EvilDave. Heard about it on the radio on the way home last night and your description of her makes it even more tragic.

Where abouts in Sheffield are you? Sounds like we are going into the very high tier soon. That will be two holidays this ruined for me this year because of this damn pandemic :seagull:

Thanks Salkster, I appreciate that. Their house was always in a state of welcoming, happy chaos, and she was the calm glue that held it all together. It's still surreal seeing their faces on various news pages but the initial shock is starting to clear, which is helping.

We've just this weekend made this short move from Norfolk Park to Heeley, how about you? I'd be surprised if we weren't locked down further given everyone else nearby is heading that way, although I haven't heard anything yet. Any chance you get can there and 'accidentally' get locked on holiday?!

so sorry to hear your news Evildave. 

I was coming on here to explain my own recent absence (also due to a car crash). but nothing like the one you described. 

Reading how tragic it could have been, reminds me how lucky I am to have walked away.

I hope at the very least Josh can do the same. 

20 hours ago, EvilDave said:

Thanks Salkster, I appreciate that. Their house was always in a state of welcoming, happy chaos, and she was the calm glue that held it all together. It's still surreal seeing their faces on various news pages but the initial shock is starting to clear, which is helping.

We've just this weekend made this short move from Norfolk Park to Heeley, how about you? I'd be surprised if we weren't locked down further given everyone else nearby is heading that way, although I haven't heard anything yet. Any chance you get can there and 'accidentally' get locked on holiday?!

I live in Stocksbridge so the other side of Sheffield to you. I'd certainly love to go down early but I don't go down till the 6th November. Planning on proposing to my girlfriend then so i'm really hoping we can go. Think there was only 10 cases in Stocksbridge last week so in the grand scheme of it all, i'll be pretty p**sed if all the students driving it up in Sheffield ruin my plans. Though in fairness to the students it was pure madness bringing them back, Herding them all in small lecture theatres and small flats with communal bathrooms. Was only one way the covid infection was going when they all went back to uni. I'm sure the tuition and rent fees students have to pay had nothing to do with why the government wanted them back instead of learning at home online :rolleyes:

Edited by salkster2102

• 2 weeks later...

In my FM20 story, I've managed to guide Chelsea to the Champions League Final. Now, I like to depict the CL anthem before CL games in my story, and I'm looking to replicate the special version that usually gets played before the final. Should I use Andrea Bocelli (Cardiff 2017), 2Cellos (Kiev 2018) or Asturia Girls (Madrid 2019)? Which one would be most suitable for Saint Petersburg?

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/11/2020 at 15:51, mark wilson27 said:

So you dont wear a suit and tie when the club your managing reaches a final...

As I only wore my wedding suit once, then got divorced 7 months later. I'd wear it if I got to a final! 

Just got to get to a final...

Actually be good getting back on the computer! Been suffering this last month. Car crash, followed by my operation, followed by an infection. You'd think not working for almost 6 weeks would have given me loads of time to write and play. But its taken everything to get out of bed day to day, can about make my football predictions (not very well!) and that's it. 

Hopefully I'm finally turning a corner ready for the beta / full FM21 release! 

Hope everyone else is doing alright.

1 hour ago, salkster2102 said:

Anyone got the new BETA? Like the improvements to the ME and the new emotion gestures. Really don't like the conditions being in colours though I much prefer making decisions from figures.

Ive had a quick scoot round it and so far it seems ok...When I get some time I will have to start up a save and see where it takes me

The ME looks much smoother and more realistic, and the game itself runs much quicker. In many areas, it's a big improvement on FM20.

Unfortunately, I have major issues with the UI and the in-game experience, many of which have been outlined by other users here:

Completely agree with that rant the UI is a major disappointment for me in the matches. I quite like everything off the pitch except having to constantly change players training intensity manually just about every day to go with the physios advice. Always found selling players for maximum value to be hard but that's just a general issue I have with all FM games.

Off the pitch I'm quite happy with the feel of the game and the improvements to the speed of it. If I could I'd combine the off field and UI with fm20 and the ME with fm21. It feels to me with the UI that SI have tried to fix something that isn't broken.

I'm particularly annoyed that they've taken away the timebar in the name of "realism". I can understand why you wouldn't have this available to you during a match for realism's sake - but then again, 'pausing' the game to make tactical changes isn't technically realistic either.

However, you also don't get to see a timebar (or even any kind of text match report) for previous matches. You can still view goals and other notable events on demand, but viewing any other match highlights (for example, if you want to analyse some chances your team missed) is a nightmarish chore.

As an FM story writer, it's going to make covering my matches in any kind of depth much more difficult. If you want to write any stories on FM21, then you'll probably have to make huge changes to how you write stories. If you're thinking of writing a 10-3 style epic, then you might as well forget it.