FMS Community Thread Episode VIII: Disneyland

tenthreeleader

Just to let you know, I will be setting up the Fantasy football league once I get internet set up at me new flat.   Also the deadline for the Hall of Fame vote is nearly over and Ive only had one other person vote apart from me

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, mark wilson27 said:

Just to let you know, I will be setting up the Fantasy football league once I get internet set up at me new flat.   Also the deadline for the Hall of Fame vote is nearly over and Ive only had one other person vote apart from me

Apologies for leaving this until the last possible minute - a new job and mad few months have meant I've not been around nearly as much as I'd have liked, but I'm hopeful that changes in the near future even if writing time is somewhat diminished. I've claimed my votes in the thread.

23 minutes ago, EvilDave said:

Apologies for leaving this until the last possible minute - a new job and mad few months have meant I've not been around nearly as much as I'd have liked, but I'm hopeful that changes in the near future even if writing time is somewhat diminished. I've claimed my votes in the thread.

Votes received and counted thankyou sir

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Man, this place has really died on its a*se hasn't it? :(

Anyway, the new season is upon us again. We used to do this every year so I'd thought I'll try to inject some life back here again with our annual Premier League predictions. Always a good laugh to see how much we get wrong at the end of the season...:lol:

1. Manchester City - If they get Kane then they'll be essentially unstoppable. But even if they don't, they're still a formidable force. Short of a major catastrophe, hard to see them relinquishing their crown really.

2. Chelsea - Seems to be everybody's second favourite. If Lukaku gets firing then I reckon Chelsea can run City pretty close. Tuchel is a canny manager, and he'll pull off some good results. Hopefully they'll give City something to think about.

3. Manchester United - Ugh. Hard to admit it, but they've done pretty well with their transfer business. Sancho is an excellent get, and Varane brings plenty of quality to the backline. Probably won't get close to the top two but will be comfortably top four.

4. Liverpool - Arguably hard done by with injuries last season, and yet still managed to finish third. With Van Dijk back they should be more solid, but they've not really progressed elsewhere otherwise. Should still be top four though.

5. Arsenal - No European games should hopefully be an advantage, but that's only in theory, and God knows how Arsenal can have the ability to really screw things up. Still, I live in hope. Haha. Could finish anywhere from top four to mid-table.

6. Tottenham Hotspur - Best case scenario is if they lose Kane on transfer deadline day and have no time to get a replacement, heh heh heh. But in all seriousness, Spurs are a team in transition, and it'll be interesting to see how they recover from the era of Jose

7. Leicester City - Will the Brendan Rodgers bubble burst? Hard to say. Honestly if there's any team right now that has the capability to truly disrupt the Big Six, then the Foxes are it. Seventh for now but I won't be surprised if they end up higher.

8. Leeds United - Bielsa and Leeds did well in their first season back, and I think they'll do well to build on that and consolidate their position in the top flight. From there they can begin to progress upwards. Slowly and steady does it.

9. Aston Villa - Much will depend on how Villa reinvest their Grealish money (Ings is a solid purchase though), but I reckon they'll do well enough to challenge for an upper mid-table position. Europe will be a bit of a stretch, but they'll give more than a few big teams problems.

10. Everton - Benitez is a good manager, and can often get a team to perform greater than the sum of its parts. But he's obviously unpopular, and it remains to be seen what effect that will have on the team

11. West Ham United - Last season was arguably brilliant, but was it a one-off, or can Moyes bring the Hammers to new heights? I'm thinking the former, and that West Ham will soon settle back into their natural position of mid-table

12. Wolverhampton Wanderers - A season of change for Wolves, with Nuno now gone. The team has quality, and if everything clicks together then they have the potential to really finish much higher. Much will depend on how Lage gets on, and also their luck with injuries (which have been bad).

13. Brentford - They're obviously a bit of an unknown, but I'd want them to do well, if only for the novelty value. If they make it into Europe it'll be hella entertaining, but I doubt that'll happen so it'll just be mid-table for the Bees then.

14. Burnley - They've done well to consolidate their top flight status, and I expect much of the same from Dyche's team. Mid-table and clear of a relegation dogfight should count as a success for the Clarets.

15. Newcastle United - It's hard to be positive with this team, what with all the drama surrounding them. Newcastle should really aim for higher, but in recent times they've mostly flattered to deceive. They really need new owners and a better manager to progress.

16. Southampton - Things don't look good on the south coast. They've lost their main scorer Ings, and apparently Vestergaard is on his way too. If they don't strengthen significantly I could see a season of pain for the Saints.

17. Brighton & Hove Albion - They couldn't score goals for toffee last season, and I can't see how things will improve this time round. They'll struggle, and might just survive on the incompetence of others, but equally I can also see them going down.

18. Crystal Palace - As much as I like Patrick Vieira, there's just too much upheaval at Palace this season, and it'll be very hard to get some team cohesion together. They'll go down, but I hope Vieira sticks around, if only to gain some valuable managerial experience.

19. Norwich City - Norwich will probably give a right go at it, but I reckon they'll just fall short. Pukki should get some goals, but I doubt his ability as a top quality striker for the top flight. The Championship is his level.

20. Watford - I think they'll put up a valiant fight, but I can't see them having the quality to stay up to be honest. With trigger-happy owners at the helm, Xisco might not last beyond the first patch of bad form, and then things will spiral from that point on.

Edited by BenArsenal

Yep, even by recent standards, FMS feels a bit like a ghost town now. In truth, I hardly venture to this little community at all nowadays, but I really don't know where we go from here. :(

Here are my 2021/2022 Premier League predictions. I haven't really found the time to put together a proper run-down of each team, but here goes...

1. Chelsea - Lukaku is the final piece that fits together a fantastic team with the manager to match.
  2. Manchester City - After 11 years of hurt, the Champions League will be Pep's main focus.
  3. Liverpool - They'll be right up there with the title challengers again if Virgil stays fit.
  4. Manchester United - Lethal in attack, but tactically questionable and defensively flimsy... as usual.
  5. Leicester City - How To Throw Away A Champions League Place: Season 3.
  6. Arsenal - With no European football, we need Arteta to deliver some improvement.
  7. Aston Villa - No Grealish, but they have invested the money very wisely and will challenge for Europe.
  8. Tottenham Hotspur - If Kane leaves (and I think they will), the cockerel is stuffed.
  9. Leeds United - Bielsa-ball will keep Leeds comfortably mid-table once again.
  10. Everton - Rafa has to win the boo boys over quickly, but I don't think he lasts the season.
  11. Wolverhampton Wanderers - "Olá, forro de prata, e no meio da mesa você vai agora, baby."
  12. West Ham United - Last season was great, but Europe will really expose this team's weaknesses.
  13. Brighton & Hove Albion - We had 5.7xG and lost 1-0; SORT IT OUT SI! :mad:
  14. Burnley - I mean... duh. It's Burnley.
  15. Southampton - Who are the inconsistent Saints going to lose 9-0 against this season?
  16. Watford - Overachieve, hit a slump, sack manager, hit form again, survive, repeat.
  17. Norwich City - An attractive team who can show that nice guys don't finish last.
  18. Newcastle United - The Geordie Army are so restless over Ashley that even Joe Willock won't save them.
  19. Brentford - Plucky underdogs will freshen up the Premier League, but only for nine months.
  20. Crystal Palace - New manager + new vision + virtually new team = a disaster waiting to happen.

On 13/08/2021 at 17:11, BenArsenal said:

Man, this place has really died on its a*se hasn't it? :(

Trust me your not the only one that has noticed. I know this time of year is pretty quiet but this year has been dire...Not sure what can be done

I'm not sure either, but it'll be a shame if this place disappears.

Are people no longer interested in FM now? But I still see stories getting updated every now and then, so there's definitely some visitors and activity still.

On 16/08/2021 at 13:28, BenArsenal said:

Are people no longer interested in FM now? But I still see stories getting updated every now and then, so there's definitely some visitors and activity still.

I barely even touch FM these days. I tend to get bored after playing a season now. Mostly because I don't get much time for gaming these days. 

On 18/08/2021 at 23:51, salkster2102 said:

I barely even touch FM these days. I tend to get bored after playing a season now. Mostly because I don't get much time for gaming these days. 

Me too actually. I've actually bought the mobile version for playing on the phone, but the experience just isn't quite the same. 

Hi guys. I'm gonna do Mark's job for him a little bit here. But if you can, do please vote in the FMS Awards. I know it's been a lot quieter around these parts, but there are some genuinely great stories in contention and I hope we can do them justice by rewarding them for their efforts.

Edited by BenArsenal

Financially, I don't get it. It smacks of the Glazers and Edwood Woodwood going, "Uh-oh, the customers still want us out. Let's buy them a shiny (not-so-)new Ronaldo at them and hope it pacifies them for another year." :D

But even as a rival fan, I'm actually pretty excited about this. Ronaldo's return will make United even more fun to watch, even if it turns out to be Manchester's worst second coming since... well... Second Coming. I'm looking forward to them scoring 4 goals every game (and sometimes conceding 5 :p), though I'm quite scared about them giving Arsenal the Old Trafford hammering we're due every 10 years. :(

But I love how, in less than 24 hours, the football world has moved from "Ronaldo is definitely joining City HERE WE GO" to "Ronaldo is back at United". This is why you shouldn't believe any transfer stories until you actually see the player on the pitch playing for their new club.

It wouldn't have sat right seeing Cristiano in a Manchester City shirt. To me, it would have destroyed the idea that loyalty still exists in elite professional football.

As a rival fan I'm disgusted to see Ronnie back 😂 but really it's probably what United need to challenge for the title now. They've bought extremely smartly this window and upgraded where they needed to. All the pressure on Olé now.

Such a crazy transfer window in general. Chelsea and united have upgraded where they needed to. Liverpool got their centre backs back. This could be one hell of a title fight potentially.

The FMS Archives have been updated guys

Also remember you have around a month remaining to vote for the FMS Awards. I know its still awhile but we have had only two voters so far. Remember if you want your story to win you must vote otherwise it becomes ineligible

Cheers Mark

On 16/08/2021 at 13:28, BenArsenal said:

I know I’m waiting for the new version to try spark my interest again. Though I’ve had the year from hell in my personal / work life.

Divorce, buying a new house, snowed under with pregnant women with covid related complications at work. Hopefully the new version will coincide nicely with internet at the new house. Plus actually having time to sit down and add to some of my stories / write new ones would be a big bonus. Plus getting time to vote in the awards! 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, hope you're keeping well. I'm sad to say I don't visit here often enough, but I rarely touch FM these days and am even less inclined to write about it.

Maybe the bug will return one day, but writing in general has been a struggle for me for a few years now, think life is just too busy and hectic to concentrate on it on an evening after work, cause all I wanna do is just turn off my brain and chill haha.

As for why this place is dead, I think in part it has been the game itself to blame. It needs way more interaction, which is great for immersion in the game, but not so great for letting your imagination run wild about what goes on at the club around the happenings in game. Also, I think streaming has killed the story telling genre as a whole, because why write about it, if you can show it?

Anyway, just my two cents worth. As I said, hope you're all keeping well, glad to see some familiar faces still kicking about :)

To be honest WLKRAS, im pretty much in the same boat as you. Life has taken over from FM. Looking at my last save it says I last loaded the game in May. I have still quite abit of my career story to write and same with the other stories. 

Like you said streaming seems to be the main form of story telling at the moment or like they do in FMC. 

The game is very in depth now since the days of FM07 (My favourite).  But thats why I mainly play the FM Touch version more as I can pretty much whip a season out in a day or so

We'll have to see how this part of the fourm goes over the next year

I generally tend to agree too. I haven't bought an FM since 19, and haven't played in months, nor have had a serious career game in a long while.

That said, I came across a mobile game app called Soccer Manager (yeah no **** :lol:) which functions much the same as FM but doesn't have the same level of depth, detail or realism, which makes it quite good for an easy casual play.

Like, sometimes you just want something that's relatively straightforward to play out of the box, and not have to spend hours setting up your tactics each time.

I'm in a similar spot. My most serious FMing came as a student, then I was fortunate enough to work part-time for a number of years. Now I'm married and working full-time, plus trying to take care of my physical health a bit more than in the past, I just don't have the time to sink into a good long save, let alone write about one.

That doesn't mean it won't ever change, and I do enjoy keeping up with what others are up to here and on FMCU, but I suspect your theories that the rise of the streamer/YouTuber is pulling people away from here is at least part accurate. Which is a shame, because I don't find FM to really work in that format and would much rather read a good yarn!

To paraphrase The Buggles, video killed the Football Manager fanfiction star. Streamers and YouTubers are all the rage these days, and I can't imagine there are that many people interested in reading text-only FM stories nowadays, let alone writing them.

I drifted away from these parts a couple of years ago to focus on blogging, but even that has a small audience. And to be honest, as time has gone on, I've lost my enjoyment for writing.

The match-by-match style of writing you often see here just doesn't get very far in the FM blogging scene, and I've reduced my posts to half-season updates, which takes away a lot of the story element. To me, it's like reading an abridged version of Harry Potter, with only the bits where he plays Quidditch or fights Voldemort. Once FM21 is done, I think I'll knock the blog on the head - or at least put it on ice.

I don't think I'll ever write another FM story on the same scale as "An Impossible Man" or my FM13 series... but at the same time, I'm not quite finished with writing. I've been working on something new for a while now, and hopefully I'll be ready to share it pretty soon. ;)

On 24/09/2021 at 17:46, BenArsenal said:

I generally tend to agree too. I haven't bought an FM since 19, and haven't played in months, nor have had a serious career game in a long while.

That said, I came across a mobile game app called Soccer Manager (yeah no **** :lol:) which functions much the same as FM but doesn't have the same level of depth, detail or realism, which makes it quite good for an easy casual play.

Like, sometimes you just want something that's relatively straightforward to play out of the box, and not have to spend hours setting up your tactics each time.

I played the Soccer Manager multiplayer game for many years, before they started focussing on their new single-player game (which I actually did some beta testing for back in 2014/15).

That game's come a long way in recent years, and SM21 is the most enjoyable yet... but it's basically a knock-off Football Manager for the more casual player who wants a cheaper alternative. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, of course.

On 26/09/2021 at 12:42, CFuller said:

To paraphrase The Buggles, video killed the Football Manager fanfiction star. Streamers and YouTubers are all the rage these days, and I can't imagine there are that many people interested in reading text-only FM stories nowadays, let alone writing them.

I drifted away from these parts a couple of years ago to focus on blogging, but even that has a small audience. And to be honest, as time has gone on, I've lost my enjoyment for writing.

The match-by-match style of writing you often see here just doesn't get very far in the FM blogging scene, and I've reduced my posts to half-season updates, which takes away a lot of the story element. To me, it's like reading an abridged version of Harry Potter, with only the bits where he plays Quidditch or fights Voldemort. Once FM21 is done, I think I'll knock the blog on the head - or at least put it on ice.

I don't think I'll ever write another FM story on the same scale as "An Impossible Man" or my FM13 series... but at the same time, I'm not quite finished with writing. I've been working on something new for a while now, and hopefully I'll be ready to share it pretty soon. ;)

I blog about cycling. Professional races and my own escapades on the bike. I get interaction on discord servers from readers as I make predictions and suggest how the race might unfold. I get praise when I get it right. And ribbed when I get it badly wrong. Which makes it fun to do. Plus I'm writing about something I'm passionate about.

But even with that. Real life impedes my ability to do it as much as I would like. I either need to accept that this is always going to be the case. Or find a way to monetize it so that it allows me the time to spend on it.

Which unfortunately means that for what is basically a hobby. In writing football manager based fiction. It feels the real life squeeze and there is little or nothing to be done about it.

Though for the record I can't stand streaming / video based pretty much anything. Maybe its the reinforcement of what they want you to do. IE: "Like or subscribe in the comments." If I like it, or I have something to say. I would do that naturally. Much like, if I want a meal deal at subway. I will ask for one. Being asked by every member of staff along the line just grates on me.

20 hours ago, mark wilson27 said:

With the votes counted and the winners ready to recieve their awards we just need a venue. Can any of you fine lot come up with a venue for us to play out this award ceremony

Cristiano Ronaldo's Holiday Inn Hotel Room. Manchester

On 29/09/2021 at 19:43, mark wilson27 said:

With the votes counted and the winners ready to recieve their awards we just need a venue. Can any of you fine lot come up with a venue for us to play out this award ceremony

Jerry Seinfeld's Apartment

How's it going? My first post in about 5 years. Might be longer. Still some of the same names cranking out stories, I see. Very impressive how you guys have kept this place going so long. 

Haven't had FM since about 2012. Been feeling the itch again recently though. Don't have a laptop anymore or would probably take the plunge. 

2 hours ago, ScottleeSV said:

How's it going? My first post in about 5 years. Might be longer. Still some of the same names cranking out stories, I see. Very impressive how you guys have kept this place going so long. 

Haven't had FM since about 2012. Been feeling the itch again recently though. Don't have a laptop anymore or would probably take the plunge. 

get this man a laptop!

12 hours ago, ScottleeSV said:

You know, they have FM on Mobile now...:lol:

This was a strange time for me to log back in-

I will throw my hat in with almost everything others have said already - video posts are all the rage these days.. adulthood severely impacts the ability to be creative and find time to post.. those and all the other factors mentioned make it harder than it looks to publish the kind of serial, epic stories that I think we all enjoy… and those of you that have been so successful doing so over so many years should understand you really do have a special gift that people like myself truly appreciate.

For me It is nice to see many familiar faces here still - I am bad at communicating emotion in person and probably even worse online… Interpersonal skills are definitely not my strength.. but while I was posting my one mildly successful story here years ago I found the people in this forum to be some of the most genuine, friendly and supportive people I have ever come across.. You are all welcoming, entertaining, and funny… basically what I feel an online community should be and I was very happy to be a small part of it.

Personally, my life has entered another chapter- my gaming/writing time completely disappeared when I remarried and moved.  Now however, things have settled into a nice routine and my wife and stepdaughter have acquired a horse (yes... a freaking horse...) which keeps them busy and gives me some free time- which leads to me being here posting again so, no guarantees, but I am hoping to contribute again soon.

In the meantime I see some interesting stories on here that I’m excited to dive into!

Sorry for the short novel… I do tend to be overly wordy... might be why I like it here!

Cheers all!

Glad to see that both Everton and the US Men's National Team are doing well so far for the most part. I wasn't exactly thrilled that we went for Rafa, as I wanted Galtier instead. That being said, Rafa seems to like being back on Merseyside, and Townsend and Gray have to be some of the best signings of the window when taking into account costs and production so far. 

As for the US, we've looked good in qualifying, and despite some reservations I have about Berhalter being the best choice to work with a potential Golden Generation, I love the depth we have. It's not just Pulisic, Renya, Dest, and McKinnie, but Ricardo Pepi might be the most exciting player of the bunch. The guy is 18, but he's looked composed for both FC Dallas and the US in the final round of CONCACAF qualifiers. I hope Everton can beat a bunch of other clubs to his signature in the next transfer window. 

25 minutes ago, salkster2102 said:

Not heard of Ted Lasso but I rather enjoyed Squid Game.

Squid Games was pretty damn good, someone told me to watch Alice in Borderland if you liked Squid Games..So that'll be my next port of call

On 19/10/2021 at 17:22, mark wilson27 said:

Squid Games was pretty damn good, someone told me to watch Alice in Borderland if you liked Squid Games..So that'll be my next port of call

I watched Squid Game. And I was ok with it until the last couple of episodes. It felt like it just fell flat. Especially the last episode. More of a season two trailer than a series one finale. Also not the sort of actions I would have expected from the character having watched him for X number of episodes to that point

On 24/10/2021 at 18:45, BenArsenal said:

Well then...

As an Arsenal fan who've witnessed 6-1 and 8-2 thrashings at Old Trafford, I have to admit, it was quite pleasing to see the boot on the other foot...

There can't be many more nails to go into Ole's coffin? 

I mean Varane was brought in to pretty much finish off that defence? Didn't look anywhere near finished! 

As a Liverpool fan I'm not going to lie, that game was incredibly enjoyable. Not just for the scoreline but for how easy it seemed to be and to be able to take the foot off the gas the second half. I certainly don't expect to see that again.

Problem I think United have is last season they finished second which papered over the cracks. Chelsea were poor until Tuchel came in and Liverpool had so many injuries. It was a poor league last year compared to recent times. 

They've done well as a counter attacking team in certain games but to win competitions they need to be a proactive team like all the rest of the big teams are. I don't see this group of players being capable of doing that. They tried against Liverpool and got picked off far too easily. It will be a long season for them if Olé stays at the wheel.

• 2 weeks later...