FMS Community Thread Episode VIII: Disneyland

tenthreeleader

Yours truly done gone and locked the old thread after merging it with a non-story post and accidentally renaming it. 

This is truly the height of lunacy, but at least it gives us a new community thread.

Have at it.

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Disneyland reference is a hackneyed reference to Disney buying the Star Wars franchise. If you have a better idea and would like to rename the thread, which si something I evidently am not capable of doing, have at it.

Carry on.

The forum's falling apart, everything's broken, and now 10-3 does this. The apocalypse is truly upon us. :(

On the plus side... new community thread. The last one started six years ago, so it's about time we had a new one, to be honest. :)

Thoughts gentlemen on the two incidents on Sunday. Grealish getting punched by a fan and Smalling getting shovedby a fan

What if any punishment should the clubs get. 

Alan Shearer says points deductions and games behind closed doors.

For me the Smalling incident should be nothing but a hefty fine. However the Grealish one should be a couple of games behind closed doors and a suspended points deduction. 

There should be severe punishments for Birmingham over the Grealish incident. A heavy fine, at least one game behind closed doors, a suspended points deduction, and a lifetime ban from attending any football matches in England for the thug involved.

Regarding Smalling, there should also be a significant fine coming to Arsenal. Yes, it was nowhere near as bad as the Grealish incident, but that's no excuse for not taking any kind of action.

There was also an incident in Scotland involving the Rangers captain and a Hibs fan on Friday, let's not forget. These acts need to be nipped in the bud quickly by the authorities, otherwise the next one could be truly horrifying.

THe only difference between Grealish and Smalling is Smalling didn't get punched so strictly speaking both punishments should be the same as he could have been punched just as easily.

Also raises the question of how close should the first row of seats be to the pitch being throw ins with run ups start there often.

I've been a member of the SI community since 2008 and have been posting actively since 2013. Over the last few days, I have seriously thought about quitting the forums altogether.

Once I have completed "An Impossible Man" (probably next month), I think I'll be done. FMS is a great little community, but the rest of the forums are doing my head in. Between you and me, there are too many self-centred, self-entitled, hyperbolic cry-babies posting nowadays, and I just can't be bothered with it anymore.

I'm sorry if this just comes across as a bit of a rant, but that's honestly how I feel right about now.

Edited by CFuller

50 minutes ago, CFuller said:

I could stop by every now and then to see how y'all are doing, but maybe a long-term break might be better for my overall wellbeing.

Sometimes a long term break is good for people. If you do permanently stop writing on the forum it will be shame but I understand where you come from.

I myself tend not to go out of this forum about from the odd look into FMCU and the Editor section. I have noticed that their are quite a few "Snowflakes"  who get offended by anyone who doesn't agree with their point of view.

Hopefully you don't stop writing permanently 

Feel free to PM me anytime mate

11 minutes ago, mark wilson27 said:

Sometimes a long term break is good for people. If you do permanently stop writing on the forum it will be shame but I understand where you come from.

I myself tend not to go out of this forum about from the odd look into FMCU and the Editor section. I have noticed that their are quite a few "Snowflakes"  who get offended by anyone who doesn't agree with their point of view.

Hopefully you don't stop writing permanently 

Feel free to PM me anytime mate

I strongly dislike the term "snowflakes", but I understand what you're saying. What makes it even worse is that I'm reacting to those users, which I perhaps wouldn't have done if I had been in a better 'place' physically, mentally and emotionally. These past few weeks have been very difficult for so many reasons.

After "An Impossible Man", I have no further stories planned outside of my blog, so I would hardly be posting at all aside from in this thread and in other writers' story threads. And having written on FMS for close to five years, I honestly feel burnt out.

Il y a 3 heures, mark wilson27 a dit :

Gentlemen I'm at the stage of my sign up that i need some new players. I've added some of the older forum members that have been here before but could do with quite a few more

Am I an old player or a new one? :ackter::lol::lol:  If I,m the former, nothing to do since already signed in, if the latter well...  sign me up sir!

2 hours ago, Rien102 said:

Am I an old player or a new one? :ackter::lol::lol:  If I,m the former, nothing to do since already signed in, if the latter well...  sign me up sir!

Your player is  still going strong just need some creative names etc so it can carry on. Feel free to send loads through. BenArsenal has sent quite a few through for example

And a week after losing at Rennes, Arsenal fight back to reach the Quarter Finals (just like we did against BATE). How am I not surprised? :D

Now watch us get stuffed by Valencia in the next round, because obviously.

1 hour ago, BenArsenal said:

Not sure if we have any New Zealanders on here, but today's events have just sickened me to the bone.

Same here. And as horrific as this was, I just hope it doesn't end up spiraling into something even worse.

Also, Marca decided it would be a good idea to post the whole video recorded by the murderer. Their website has been summarily removed from my bookmarks and my browser history and I'll do my best to never again visit it. And nothing of value was lost.

On 11/03/2019 at 23:17, CFuller said:

I've been a member of the SI community since 2008 and have been posting actively since 2013. Over the last few days, I have seriously thought about quitting the forums altogether.

Once I have completed "An Impossible Man" (probably next month), I think I'll be done. FMS is a great little community, but the rest of the forums are doing my head in. Between you and me, there are too many self-centred, self-entitled, hyperbolic cry-babies posting nowadays, and I just can't be bothered with it anymore.

I'm sorry if this just comes across as a bit of a rant, but that's honestly how I feel right about now.

No, I feel exactly the same way as you, I don't use the other forums. They're very clique-y and unwelcoming. You don't have to say anything wrong to suddenly get jumped on by a dozen people who know each other 'defending' who you replied to with mockery, GIFs and personal attacks. Even if you reply normally, even saying sorry for the upset, "I agree" or "I accept that but...", suddenly a mod comes in with "I'm keeping my eye on this, you're clearly looking for a fight" mischeviously fanning the flames (or do nothing and say "we have a level of banter").

Then the original guy you replied to sees all this wreckage, the moderator baiting, buddies 'defending' him, and says "Guys, what did he say wrong? Anyway, I'm a big boy."

I just made a rare and inoffensive thread in the general discussions forum and had the feeling it was a terrible idea because I knew what would happen. Probably not a normal feeling for posters to feel on a major game's official forum. (It hasn't gone bad yet though.)

I think I recall a sticky by Miles Jacobson from years ago saying this had got out of hand and it was time to put a stop to it. I guess this site will always have this reputation. Certainly it did a fine job giving me and you that perception independently.

• 2 weeks later...

I was playing FIFA 17's story mode and that game has the most realistic AI ever...

The final game is the cup final against your ex-friend and hated rivals. The stage is set for you to become a hero and score the winning goal in a big happy ending.

Except I was a Man Utd player, which meant Zlatan was on my team. So of course Zlatan scores a hat trick and steals my thunder. :lol:

I don't play much FIFA these days (aside from the late-90s titles from time to time), so I've not played through The Journey myself. However, from what I've seen, the next couple of years will be... let's say rather hectic for Alex Hunter.

Spoiler

In other words, he makes Zlatan's career look like Ryan Giggs'. :D

• 2 weeks later...

The annual chokejob is fully underway for the 5th season in a row for Brighton. A point now is as good as 3 points pre-April. Have to hope Cardiff, like previous years with our rivals, are bigger chokers, but they don't look it. Brighton were my favourites to go down between the 2 teams after Cardiff's Chelsea match, and it's got far worse since. Cardiff have the slightly easier run-in too.

Also Jermaine Jenas is laughable saying Solskjaer shouldn't have been made manager now and it was an emotional decision... not least because before PSG he said he didn't even need to beat PSG as he'd already proven he should get the job. Him and his BBC colleagues' contemptuous sigh/scoff when answering a question is like a tick too. An annoying one.

24 minutes ago, git2thachoppa said:

Also Jermaine Jenas is laughable saying Solskjaer shouldn't have been made manager now and it was an emotional decision... not least because before PSG he said he didn't even need to beat PSG as he'd already proven he should get the job. Him and his BBC colleagues' contemptuous sigh/scoff when answering a question is like a tick too. An annoying one.

Until recently, I had Jermaine Jenas down as an inoffensive, middle-of-the-road pundit who never had anything meaningful to say. Now I can see he's even worse than that.

Even in a corporation that also employs Alan Shearer and Martin Keown, I don't think I can find a less insightful pundit.

1 hour ago, CFuller said:

Until recently, I had Jermaine Jenas down as an inoffensive, middle-of-the-road pundit who never had anything meaningful to say. Now I can see he's even worse than that.

Even in a corporation that also employs Alan Shearer and Martin Keown, I don't think I can find a less insightful pundit.

Mark Lawrenson, Adrian Chiles, Ian Wright and Robbie Savage are personalities in a dull lifeless void. They're always the ones others find annoying but I'd rather them than Shearer and co. (or worse: the Townsend and Earle era).

Can you figure out this mystery player?

Steve Caldwell said: "...Walter Smith was brilliant at that. When he first took over [Scotland], he took us away to Manchester for three or four days together and spoke for two hours. It was one of the best team talks I'd ever heard. He spoke about everything from turning up, from training, to dealing with the media, to how we should behave, how we should play, when he'd pick the team. He said that if anyone didn't buy into it, or think they could do it, they should chap on his door and let him know. Only one player said he couldn't commit."

So who was the player that was presumably frozen out of the Scottish national team after 2004?

Just curious. :lol:

il y a 5 minutes, mark wilson27 a dit :

untitled.thumb.png.f5009fdc6834beff655ea9daa43686e6.png

First time I've seen this on FM

Got it with my super Egyptian striker in my Villa story, he came out during the third season, he was 20 at the time.  Was probably even more of an event since he was Egyptian you know?  I personnally like the general idea of this implmentation.

It was interesting to read and watch some of the coverage of Everton's thumping of United last weekend. I realize that United is a very popular club and that there are a lot of talking points surrounding them , but anyone who has been watching Everton recently would not have been surprised. We still have a chance of getting into the Europa League, and we are the last team to take points off Liverpool, and kept a clean sheet at home against United, Chelsea, Arsenal, and Liverpool. There is no doubt in my mind that Marco Silva has done a great job of instilling his personality, and it looks like we have a set team and style of playing each week. 

1 hour ago, efcfan said:

It was interesting to read and watch some of the coverage of Everton's thumping of United last weekend. I realize that United is a very popular club and that there are a lot of talking points surrounding them , but anyone who has been watching Everton recently would not have been surprised. We still have a chance of getting into the Europa League, and we are the last team to take points off Liverpool, and kept a clean sheet at home against United, Chelsea, Arsenal, and Liverpool. There is no doubt in my mind that Marco Silva has done a great job of instilling his personality, and it looks like we have a set team and style of playing each week. 

The win wasn't surprising, it was winning 4-0.

But we're fully moving back into the old days of big scorelines and thrashings now defending isn't much of a thing any more. Even if they wanted to 'properly' defend, attackers just touch the ball to the side and dive to the ground as if they've been knocked out and it's a legal penalty because there was slight contact.

Romford FC - my hometown club - were relegated this afternoon. :(

They've been in the Isthmian League Division 1 North (in the 8th tier) for a decade and have never been much better than mid-table. Not having a ground of their own or any money to pay players eventually caught up with the Boro, who've been battling relegation for the last few seasons.

They pulled off a great escape last season, and they battled bravely from a difficult position this time around... but they left it just too late. Relegated on goal difference.

So Romford will be back in the 9th tier next season, in the Essex Senior League. Hopefully in 12 months time, I'll have something more positive to write about, especially if the Boro can get their hands on Big Duncan Greenwood. :D

Edited by CFuller
Added a bit more.

2 hours ago, CFuller said:

Romford FC - my hometown club - were relegated this afternoon. :(

They've been in the Isthmian League Division 1 North (in the 8th tier) for a decade and have never been much better than mid-table. Not having a ground of their own or any money to pay players eventually caught up with the Boro, who've been battling relegation for the last few seasons.

They pulled off a great escape last season, and they battled bravely from a difficult position this time around... but they left it just too late. Relegated on goal difference.

So Romford will be back in the 9th tier next season, in the Essex Senior League. Hopefully in 12 months time, I'll have something more positive to write about, especially if the Boro can get their hands on Big Duncan Greenwood. :D

Have you ever managed them in FM?

My hometown club is Worthing but they're so low down I couldn't really follow them online or manage them. I guess I could nowadays with the wonders of technology.

5 minutes ago, git2thachoppa said:

My hometown club is Worthing but they're so low down I couldn't really follow them online or manage them. I guess I could nowadays with the wonders of technology.

Welcome to Romford one of the best stories on here. Was lost/damaged during the forum migration but CFuller linked in this copy.

My local side Matlock Town had a dire end to the season. We didnt get relegated but our form from the start of 2019 has been nothing short of pathetic. One of the two wins we got was due to a club folding 

1 minute ago, git2thachoppa said:

Yes, I have. I've even written about it here! (Big Dunc was one of my star strikers.)

I never really achieved what I wanted to with Romford the first time round, getting stuck in the Conference South before moving on to pastures new. I will probably give them another shot in a future FM (likely FM21, as I've got other saves planned before then) and hopefully take them into the EFL.

3 minutes ago, mark wilson27 said:

Welcome to Romford one of the best stories on here. Was lost/damaged during the forum migration but CFuller linked in this copy.

My local side Matlock Town had a dire end to the season. We didnt get relegated but our form from the start of 2019 has been nothing short of pathetic. One of the two wins we got was due to a club folding 

I linked to the original forum thread, but thanks for providing the PDF link as well.

North Ferriby was the club that went bust, wasn't it? It's never nice when that happens, especially when it's over a debt that's so pitifully small in relative terms.

Thankfully, Romford's situation isn't so dire. The chairman's realistic about what the club can and can't pay, especially as they groundshare and have not played any home games in Romford since circa 2001. That's arguably what's holding them back. The club has got planning permission for a new stadium, but they need to raise funds to continue the project.