tenthreeleader

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

So, one week to the new season. Time for some predictions, and for us to look stupid come season end...

1) Man City
If Haaland gets firing, then the rest will simply have no chance of catching City. Unfortunately.

2) Liverpool
Liverpool will try their darndest though. I think Darwin Nunez will do well, but it won't quite be enough

3) Chelsea
A summer of revolution at the Bridge. They've actually recruited well, although they still need some numbers in defence. Will consolidate their place as the 3rd best team

4) Arsenal
Very hopeful of course! I think much will depend on G. Jesus and how much he can fire us to glory. That said, while I think he's good, I have a feeling he's no Henry or Aubameyang

5) Man Utd
The Ten Hag era should bring about some improvement, although maybe not quite enough to challenge the front runners too much.

6) Tottenham
Honestly, I think 4th to 6th will be close. I remain hopeful that Spurs will revert to being, well, Spurs, and Conte decides he's had enough and walks away, leaving Spurs to implode.

7) Newcastle
The new Man City, eventually. I don't think they will break into the elite quite yet, and it will take a couple of seasons more before they can truly challenge.

8) Aston Villa
Gerrard seems to be doing quite well as manager, and Villa have strengthened quite well. May challenge for Europe 

9) West Ham
They have another crack at Europe after last season's heroics, albeit in a 'lesser' competition this time. But could that be too much for the Hammers?

10) Wolves
I don't quite agree with the Jorge Mendes project, but they undeniably have quality. Should do better with what they have.

11) Brighton
A decent manager with a pretty reasonably good quality squad. They have no right to do this well but they seem to have gotten the right formula that works for them

12) Brentford
A novel approach with smart recruiting and a maverick manager. Brentford are a nice feel good story and deserve success.

13) Crystal Palace
Vieira has done quite well in his first season managing in the Premier League, on relatively limited resources too. Mid-table is about right for them.

14) Southampton
Not bad enough to be relegated, not good enough to achieve major success. Saints will just plug along through mid-table mediocrity. 

15) Leicester
They seem to have stagnated somewhat, and in this league stagnation means going backwards. Could find themselves overtaken by hungrier upstart teams.

16) Leeds
I want them to be higher, and they have actually bought well (Aaronson is actually a pretty decent player). But all depends on how well Marsch gets the best out of his squad.

17) Everton 
Lampard appears to have a harder time than Gerrard at this managing business. They really should do much better.

18) Nottingham Forest
Welcome back. Nice to see you. But honestly I think the quality of the teams in the Premier League outside the top half are kinda even, and the relegation race could be tight.

19) Bournemouth
I feel they just lack that little bit of quality over Forest, and that might cost them in a close race.

20) Fulham
Because that's just what they do, ya? Say hi to Norwich on the way down.

My 2022/2023 Premier League predictions:

1. Liverpool - So close to an unbelievable quadruple last season, and I reckon they'll deny City a Premier League hat-trick this year. The naysayers may think otherwise, but I think Nunez is a magnificent addition to this Reds attack.

2. Manchester City - Haaland is a frightening signing, but I don't think he'll be quite the unstoppable force many people reckon he'll be. And if this is Pep's final season, he may well go all-out on Ol' Big Ears and pay less attention to the league.

3. Chelsea - New owner, no Lukaku, and Tuchel has free rein to build exactly the squad he wants. Sterling is a magnificent signing who should pull the Blues much closer to his old clubs, if not quite overtake them.

4. Arsenal - I'm just as hopeful as you are, Ben! The youngest squad in the league has HUGE potential, and with a bit more creativity coming from Vieira II, I'm looking forward to some swashbuckling football.

5. Manchester United - Rome wasn't built in a day, and the Old Trafford empire won't be rebuilt in a season. Eric 10 Hague still needs to fix a defence that currently consists of De Gea, a Rafa Varane impersonator, and a load of garbage.

6. Tottenham Hotspur - In spite of Son and Kane, Spuds hit a rough patch just before Qatar. Conte gets into a row with Levy over transfer budgets and storms back to Italy, leaving new manager Marco Silva to pick up the pieces.

7. Brighton & Hove Albion - The kings of xG, led by a man who looks like he should be fronting The National. With consistently solid recruitment and an exciting brand of football, they could well be the 'best of the rest'.

8. Newcastle United - aka Al-Ittihad Tyneside. The Magpies have been reinvigorated by Nice Guy Eddie, but building a Geordie revolution will take time, and a simple push for European football should be the aim.

9. Aston Villa - The adventures of Stevie G and his dirty (Polish right-back Matty) Cash. Money talks in the Premier League, but Villa's emerging crop of young talents should start to flourish pretty soon.

10. West Ham United - The Hammers are very hit and miss in transfers; there's a Benrahma for every Soucek. Another lengthy run in Europe could jeopardise their hopes of cracking the top six.

11. Leicester City - I reckon this is the season when the Foxes lose faith in Rodgers. Far too fragile at the back, hopeless at set-pieces, but their biggest long-term dilemma, it's... how to replace Rebekah Vardy's husband.

12. Wolverhampton Wanderers - Hey, remember when we all thought Jorge Mendes would take Wolves into the Champions League? That dream will keep slipping away if they keep relying on Jimenez to score all their goals.

13. Crystal Palace - I'll hold my hands up; appointing Vieira I to rebuild Roy Hodgson's team was a masterstroke. Paddy's boys are exciting and dynamic, even if Zaha has the biggest ego in Croydon.

14. Southampton - Hasenhuttl got tired of losing 9-0 every season, so his new party trick is to sign top youngsters from Big Six teams. Yet another pointless season meandering in mid-table beckons.

15. Everton - After signing Dele Alli and Salomon Rondon, I thought Everton were serious contenders to win the Championship! No, but seriously, Lampard's got a big ask managing this bunch of overpaid, overrated numpties.

16. Leeds United - Bielsa's kicked the bucket, and the Leeds fans already hate their new coach because he isn't Bielsa. It doesn't bode well for an increasingly dysfunctional team now reeling from losing Super Kalvin Phillips.

17. Fulham - After going up and down more often than the Vengaboys in the late 90s, it's about time Fulham settled back into the PL. With Mitrovic in peak form and a productive supporting cast, Silva's boys might just do it.

18. Nottingham Forest - The last time Forest graced the top flight, I was 9 years old. Steve Cooper may be a top manager, but it's so tough at the bottom that I fear the Tricky Trees will eventually be cut down to size.

19. Brentford - The Moneyball Gang were magnificent at times last season, but second season syndrome will hit them hard. Ivan Toney's social media antics off the pitch won't help matters on it either.

20. AFC Bournemouth - Too good for the EFL, not good enough for the PL - but enough about Scott Parker's managerial skills! I'm afraid this will be "Bournemouth in the Premier League 2: Electric Boogaloo".

Edited by CFuller

1. Liverpool - I think they want it more. Having missed out two years in a row, plus their stars aren't getting any younger. Have added well in Nunez and Diaz. 

2. Manchester City - Haaland scored 55 Premier league goals in his first season at City on my current FM save. And City finished second. While that isn't definitive of anything. He's an untested commodity, and certainly wouldn't be the first striker to tear up other divisions and not produce the goods in the Premier league. That's before you add in the questions about Guardiola's tenure and what he still wants to win during that time.

3. Arsenal - Awesome recruitment, and just a squad that seems much more on the same page. Plus they look absolutely lethal on the counter.

4. Newcastle Utd - Was pointed out to me that in the second half of the season. Newcastle's form was the second best in the league. I see no reason why that shouldn't lift them at least this high. The problem has always been the "passionate" crowd at St James. If they start well, that will become a very scary place for teams to travel too. 

5. Chelsea - I don't see it. Being able to build his own squad is one thing. But it isn't going to happen all at once. Tuchel just doesn't seem willing or interested in getting the best out of what he has at the moment. Lukaku wasn't a flop at any other club, so something about the atmosphere or coaching at the Bridge created the situation. Plus, if Sterling is Tuchel's idea of a good player. Then in my view we are in trouble. He's the single most over rated footballer EVER! He won't produce anywhere near as well outside of Guardiola's system. 

6. Tottenham Hotspur - Money and optimism will propel Newcastle into the top 4. Spurs have neither. The fact they aren't as woeful as Man Utd is what will keep them in the top 6

7. Manchester Utd - Best of the rest never seemed so enjoyable to write as when I'm putting it next to Man Utd. They can't fix their problems in a season

8. Brighton & Hove Albion  - They aren't the best team in the league. But they have a clear identity and brand of football. Which will do them well this season.

9. Crystal Palace  - Why not, other than Zaha is a huge pain in the backside. They look good enough to do better than average.

10. West Ham United - Europe will be more of a hinderance than a help.

11. Fulham - Mitrovic has proven to be a handful at this level. His partnership with Wilson should keep them up. People's underestimation of them might carry them this high.

12. Leicester City - Brendon Rogers. Only positive he has. He's not Steven Gerrard.

13. Brentford - I honestly couldn't remember which team I'd missed out. And ended up deciding I wanted to put Brentford here. Lets move on

14. Southampton  - A club once lauded for its recruitment style and talent production. Seems to have abandoned that model completely. And faded to mid table mediocracy along with it

15. Nottingham Forest - I hope they can make a fist of staying up. Its as simple as  that

16. Aston Villa - More a hope than anything else. Due to my utter dislike for Gerrard. And the slim basis that youth, however talented, is fragile. 

17. Wolverhampton Wanderers - The problem with one trick ponies is. Once everyone knows the trick, then they can neutralise it. Stop Jimenez, stop Wolves. Only the truly horrible exploits of the three teams below will stop them from being relegated. 

18. Everton - They were in a relegation fight last year. They will be in one again this year. Losing 4 - 0 to some MLS also ran team in pre season is a damning indication of how far this team has fallen.

19. Leeds - If you're willing to sack the first manager in 25 years to get you back into the top flight. Then nobody is safe. The second there is blood in the water. Leeds will implode. Oh yeah, and they lost their best player as well

20. AFC Bournemouth - Eddie Howe worked wonders for Bournemouth, but Scott Parker is a woeful imitation. I don't see them staying up.  

1st Liverpool - Obvious bias but I think we've been lacking a number 9 for a while and the squad look hungry after last season.

2nc City - Will be close I reckon and Haaland may take a bit to fit in. Think it's a mistake selling Sterling and Jesus.

3rd Chelsea - Still got a good squad but lack a 20 goal a season striker.

4th Spurs - Have spent well but Spurs will be Spurs

5th Arsenal - Look to have spent well again but Europa League football will take it's toll.

6th Newcastle - Did well 2nd half of last season and no European football will be key for them.

7th Man Utd - A lack of signings is bizarre and Ronnie doesn't want to be there.

8th Villa - Maybe a bit of bias to Stevie but he looks like he's building a good team.

9th West Ham - Always the overachievers wwith Moyes, it will only last so long.

10th Wolves - Always seem to overachieve.

11th-17th Take your pick from none below.

18th Brentford - Always one that has second season blues.

19th Forest - Reckon these and Bournemouth will be a toss up to be the whipping boys.

20th Bournemouth - See above.

I'm putting my neck out that Derby's lowest points record will go this season.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 05/08/2022 at 18:41, salkster2102 said:

2nc City - Will be close I reckon and Haaland may take a bit to fit in. Think it's a mistake selling Sterling and Jesus.

Famous last words. :D

In FM related news, felt I had to share my Latvian sides first win in the Champions League, a big moment, but also the come back of all come backs. 

image.thumb.png.df349ce306ce499b95faf92943533c03.png

5 hours ago, gavrenwick said:

Famous last words. :D

In FM related news, felt I had to share my Latvian sides first win in the Champions League, a big moment, but also the come back of all come backs. 

image.thumb.png.df349ce306ce499b95faf92943533c03.png

Now that's a classic, vintage Atleti meltdown. FM showing peak realism once again. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

Just wanted to post to make everyone aware that far later than usual, and without the stalwart that holds proceedings together, but with the help of his guidance, voting has begun for the '22 version of the FMS Awards. All voting has a New Year's Eve deadline, with a projected date for the event in January 2023.

Huge thanks to @mark wilson27 for his help in me getting organised to any degree at all. I always knew there was a fair bit of work behind getting the Awards done, but absolutely underestimated exactly how much work it takes.

Quick links to all stories in all categories will be added as soon as possible to make life easier when voting.

1 hour ago, neilhoskins77 said:

Hi everyone.

Just wanted to post to make everyone aware that far later than usual, and without the stalwart that holds proceedings together, but with the help of his guidance, voting has begun for the '22 version of the FMS Awards. All voting has a New Year's Eve deadline, with a projected date for the event in January 2023.

Huge thanks to @mark wilson27 for his help in me getting organised to any degree at all. I always knew there was a fair bit of work behind getting the Awards done, but absolutely underestimated exactly how much work it takes.

Quick links to all stories in all categories will be added as soon as possible to make life easier when voting.

No problem at all mate, anytime

On 17/11/2022 at 13:38, BenArsenal said:

I'm guessing this year's award ceremony might take place in, oh I dunno, Qatar? :p

I thought we'd have it in Vegas, and use up all the booze they're no longer going to use in Doha? ;-)

7 hours ago, BenArsenal said:

Anyway, the World Cup is almost upon us, at a rather bizarre period of November.

Anybody watching? Anybody boycotting?

I'm boycotting, and also wondering whether I'll ever watch another England international game ever again.

I'd long since decided that I wouldn't be having anything to do with Qatar when the first reports of worker deaths were covered in the news years ago. The recent Netflix documentary regarding FIFA corruption has solidified that resolve just in time for the tournament to begin.

I've always had a love, dislike relationship with international football. The mixing of footballing cultures (namely the ones where deceiving the referee is seen as an acceptable side of the sport.) There's only so much "Italian dark art" football I can cope with. 

But while I might not have always enjoyed what I saw on the pitch, the drama and spectacle was still beautiful in its own right.

But there is nothing left of the beautiful game about the Qatar tournament. The corruption, the worker deaths. Death threats for whistle blowers.

Which brings me to England in the future, whose only response I've heard to the question "are you going to the world cup" was a rather cowardly "Its too late to do anything about it now." Which is utter crap, I've not turned up to plenty of things I was expected to go to. And those decisions have always been last minute. 

They're willing to stand up to FIFA over having poppies on their team kits every year in November, as a show of respect to the war dead. But people who've actually died in their life time? Who died making the actual stadiums they're going to kick a ball about in. Nope, not interested.

Its just pathetic. 

• 2 weeks later...

Remember guys theirs around a month left to vote in the FMS awards and Hall of Fame. Every vote counts, plus if you are down for an award you will need to vote. Dont be that person that misses out on an award because you didnt vote

Chaps,

I recently got myself a new laptop, and I'm thinking of getting back into FM.

However, the last FM I've played in earnest was FM17. I am of the understanding that the FM of today is a vastly different animal from 5 years ago.

What should I be expecting?

On 06/12/2022 at 13:18, BenArsenal said:

Chaps,

I recently got myself a new laptop, and I'm thinking of getting back into FM.

However, the last FM I've played in earnest was FM17. I am of the understanding that the FM of today is a vastly different animal from 5 years ago.

What should I be expecting?

The 3d game enjoy gets tweaked slightly every year. I'd say playing FM22 that its definitely moving in the right direction and seems closer and closer to actual football. 

I haven't noticed any of the things that used to drive me nuts about the game engine. Such as a defender under no challenge making a headed clearance straight to an opponent. 

Or two or more players aimlessly chasing the same opposition player I'm guessing "pressing" them? But in reality not doing much of anything.

Off the pitch, they've put considerably focus on transfer deadline day and an end of season highlights reel.

More day to day stuff they've added xG and other stats and created an "analysis centre" which on the face of it is rather generic. But you can get some useful information out of it if you put the time in to tailor it to your needs.

Then the completely useless fluff like social media style updates from fans pre and post game. Which is basically "generic statement" with random player inserted and I wish I could turn off completely. 

21 minutes ago, BenArsenal said:

Yeah, based on seeing Mr @CFuller's Twitter feed I gather there are some issues with the match engine...

In any case I've just bought FM23 and am giving it a go. So far so good...

Yeah, I really didn't like the original FM23 match engine. Sweeper keepers would charge out of their areas like madmen, defenders would often dally on the ball or squander possession in dangerous positions, they would attempt completely unnecessary headers... and so often, I saw players completely ignore obvious passes and allow an opponent to run like Marcell Jacobs and instantly take the ball. :mad:

There's been a major update since then, which apparently fixes most of these issues (though passing rates seem to be unrealistically high, like they were on FM22). I've not had the chance to test this out for myself, though, as my computer's been having major stability issues.

I should have a new PC by around Christmas, but I'm not sure if I'll start a new save. If the new ME isn't any better, and AI squad-building is still an issue long-term, I might just go back to FM22.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to swing past and wish you all a Merry Christmas and make my usual request to Santa for Avril Lavigne for Christmas. Although he hasn't delivered in any of the last 20 years... miserable bastard (no not you 10-3)

I hope you all have a lovely time whatever you're doing. 

• 2 weeks later...

Morning everyone,

FMS Awards night will be held on Sunday 29th January, exact start time to be decided but expect an evening event. Of course, the location of the event is as always a closely guarded secret…..

On 12/01/2023 at 10:36, neilhoskins77 said:

Morning everyone,

FMS Awards night will be held on Sunday 29th January, exact start time to be decided but expect an evening event. Of course, the location of the event is as always a closely guarded secret…..

its at my house... only chance I have of ensuring I get an award. By handing out fakes and keeping the real ones for myself! 

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, mark wilson27 said:

Right lads, I've finally got myself FM23, which means its time for my usual 15-1 type story..

So guys who's interested,

If your interested let me know a random country we can do that is available in FM23

Italy? least then I can gorge myself on red wine and pizza when I'm the first to get sacked.

Or Mexico, same reason, just burritos and tequila 

If we want sheer numbers, Argentina has 28 teams in the Primera Division (top flight) and 37(!) in the National (second division)

Or Spain, with their extremely convoluted Segunda Federecion (fourth tier), with 5 groups of 20 teams each.

• 4 months later...

If anyone wants, drop in to the Skinning section of the forums. Some guys there are doing some wonderful work with a generator that applies realistic faces to regens. But some other guys have also been using Midjourney AI to make player photos too. Some examples below :) makes the difference to me as I enjoy playing with realistic faces too. But I do reckon it also adds to the life of the players for storyline purposes. Worth a look if graphic improving is your thing :) 

image.png.74749c7b8eea3c45fe027880a9598009.png

image.png.23f40eb060bc9461bfc3ca4d2ef48203.png

image.png.658d7467d20eaec7307fd99a77c4694a.png

• 3 weeks later...

Love that, Gav. I just started using AI to generate photos for characters in my new story and have questions. I'm curious to know how the AI works and plays with FM -- does it generate random pictures or do you need to enter the data for each individual player and save to a separate folder?

1 hour ago, tenthreeleader said:

Love that, Gav. I just started using AI to generate photos for characters in my new story and have questions. I'm curious to know how the AI works and plays with FM -- does it generate random pictures or do you need to enter the data for each individual player and save to a separate folder?

At the moment they are using a program called NewGan (co-created I believe by popular FM streamer Zealand and co) . To begin with, all the player pictures that are downloaded/created by the user are put into relevant ethnic folders (South American, South east Asian, Caucasian etc etc etc). Then, NewGan uses an ingame search filter that picks up all the newgen players and assigns them a picture, at random, from within the correct ethnicity folder. For the most part, I've seen a complete match of ethnic and racial skin tones and nationalities. It isn't perfect, but it works. There are guides on YouTube on how to get NewGan to function, and then in Skinning Hideout on here is the facepacks by a gent called robterrace. 

Other than that, you would have to collate/create all the pictures you want to use and create an XML config file to attach them to each unique player ID to get them in. 

I think I've described that as best I can - it took me a few attempts to get it going but now I do it every youth intake day for my own club, and then once more six months later ish for other countries intakes. And help is aplenty. :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Less than a week to go before the new season. Guess it's time for our usual (bad) predictions. Just take a look at mine for last season and you'll have an idea...

Anyway:

1) Arsenal
Very hopeful of course, but I choose to believe. We've bought well in Rice and Timber, and if our forward line gets firing then all bets are off. Hope it doesn't come back to bite me though...

2) Man City
Of course, one can never rule out Pep and Machine Haaland. I reckon they'll push us close, but no one has done four in a row and I think their streak ends here.

3) Newcastle
The Saudi dollars will really start to make a difference as Newcastle consolidate their Champions League money and status. The time is now for them to be considered serious contenders

4) Man Utd
Despite the turmoil of last season, Ten Hag managed to drag Man U over the line into the top 4. Should probably do better with a settled team, but competition is tough

5) Chelsea
Poch can work wonders, but there's quite a lot of upheaval at the Bridge so they may just fall short

6) Liverpool
Feels like they're on the decline, albeit slowly. Having lost a number of key players, there could be tough times ahead for Klopp and co.

7) Aston Villa
Have a shrewd system in place now with Emery and Monchi. Won't quite break into the elite, but more than capable of getting big results

8) Brighton
I like the cut of their jib, but how they juggle European football with playing in the league would be the litmus test

9) Brentford
Very progressive, and outside challengers for a European place. I want them to do well

10) Tottenham
The fun times are over, especially if Kane leaves as expected. Ange will give it a good go, but Spurs will be Spurs. From here on in they will drop out of the big time

11) Burnley
Have transformed into Man City Lite. Will upset a few big boys, and be the best of the promoted bunch

12) Fulham
Much will depend on the status of Mitrovic and Marco Silva, and whether they end up having their heads turned by the Saudi dollars. If both of them leave, then Fulham will be in big trouble.

13) Wolves
Another season of mid-table meh for Team Mendes. The departure of Neves leaves a big hole.

14) Crystal Palace
Uncle Woy will lead Palace to relative safety, but if he can unleash the powers of Eze and Olise in the absence of Zaha, then the Eagles could very well soar much higher.

15) Bournemouth
Iraola seems like an interesting appointment, but remains a relative unknown novice. Will be intriguing to see how he does.

16) Everton
Dyche will attempt to make his mark on the Toffees, but they still lack quality and are a shambles in the boardroom. Will struggle again, but might not need last day heroics this time round

17) West Ham
Winning a European trophy is great and all, but losing Rice is a big blow, and the Hammers could struggle in the aftermath

18) Nottingham Forest
Creditable effort last time round, but things will be tougher for them this season

19) Sheffield Utd
Haven't really got the quality to stay up I reckon, but then again the same was said the last time they got promoted, and they surprised everyone

20) Luton
Brave little Luton will give it their best shot, and it will be a valiant effort, but sadly I don't think they will have enough

It is a worrying sign of how inactive this thread has become that I can view last season's predictions on the same page as this season's. :( Anyway, here are my inevitably rubbish predictions for the 2023/2024 Premier League...

1. Manchester City - Some big names have gone, but Pep and his L'Oreal advert robot will continue to crush all opposition and win a fourth straight Premier League. The question is how much fire they have left in them, now they've finally got the big one.

2. Manchester United - Erik will lead United to their next Premier League title... just not this year. Hojlund is basically Haaland's Danish non-union equivalent, but Fernandes as captain and Onana in goal are just asking for some spectacular meltdowns.

3. Arsenal - I wish I shared your optimism, Ben. We'll be much more solid with Rice and Timber for sure, and I wouldn't be surprised if they turn challengers into champions, but I worry about a repeat of last season's collapse.

4. Liverpool - Jurgen's got a brand new midfield, though his defence still needs a bit of TLC, and Nunez still needs to recapture his best form. I reckon my old FM21 hero Dominik Szoboszlai can boss the PL and fire the Reds back into the top four.

5. Aston Villa - I'm so pleased that Emery's now getting the credit he deserves for taking Villa into Europe. With Monchi's clever recruitment and some exciting young talents, I can see them challenging for the ECL - and pushing for the top four.

6. Newcastle United - Season 3 of the Black & White Sportswashing Show on Amazon Prime, starring Eddie Howe and JASON TINDALL. With opponents figuring out their defence, and the CL serving as a distraction, I think they'll take a step back.

7. Chelsea - Chelsea will have a very strong team... in 2031, when Lampard is in his seventh spell as caretaker. For now, Pochettino's shifted out most of the dead wood and his exciting football should improve the Blues, in spite of bumbling Boehly.

8. Tottenham Hotspur - Note that I'm making this prediction on the assumption that they keep Harry Kane for one more year. If he goes, Aussie Ange will need to work miracles to stop the Spuds from slipping into mid-table mediocrity.

9. Brighton & Hove Albion - Bobby De Z's team are doing a fine job on the pitch, and the recruitment staff are doing even better off it. I don't think they have the depth to sustain another top-six finish and compete in Europe, but I hope they give it a go.

10. Brentford - I like Tommy Frank's buzzing Bees, who are on the up, and a constant menace to the top teams. That said, Ivan Toney will be a big loss early on (insert 15-minute rant about British football's toxic relationship with gambling here).

11. Burnley - The team that makes Sky Sports go "ohmygod, we love Burnley now, Vincent Kompany is so great, isn't he". The classy Clarets played some great stuff in the Championship, to be fair, and they can ruffle even more feathers in the PL.

12. West Ham United - West Ham have won a trophy, in Europe, with David Moyes as manager... go figure. I don't think Moyes lasts the full season, but even without Rice, I think the Irons have too much quality to be in any real danger.

13. Crystal Palace - I swear Roy Hodgson has had more comebacks than Cher! Expect another season safely in mid-table from the exciting and youthful Eagles, who've finally realised that they don't need Zaha the sulker anymore.

14. Fulham - Honestly, I've no idea where Fulham could finish, but I doubt it'll be in the top half again. Penalty-hating hothead Mitrovic has had his head turned, and if/when Silva is lured away by a bigger club, the Cottagers could crumble.

15. Everton - With strikers who are either injury-prone or allergic to goals, and a toxic fan-board relationship, I feel like Everton NEED to be relegated. Unfortunately, I think Sir Sean Dyche is too competent to put the Toffees in trouble again.

16. AFC Bournemouth - The Globalisation of the Dorset Cherries is underway, with a new American owner and Spanish manager. It'll take a bit of time for things to gel with Iraola, but I'm interested to see how Justin Kluivert (son of Patrick) does in the PL.

17. Nottingham Forest - Despite signing every player that Chelsea hadn't yet bought, Forest's team was somehow cohesive enough to stay up. Cooper's motley crew will probably stumble to survival again, with some help from their Midlands rivals.

18. Wolverhampton Wanderers - Everything has gone wrong at Wolves: the money's gone, Neves has gone, now Lopetegui has gone. The 2020 Europa League challengers may well be back in League One again by 2026.

19. Sheffield United - I thought the Blades might be sharp enough to stay up... until they sold Ndiaye to Marseille. They still have Greece's George Baldock at right-back, but this season could well end in tragedy.

20. Luton Town - Luton went from non-league to Premier League faster than my "House of Flying Daggers" team did. :D Ross Barkley is a huge signing for the valiant Hatters, but even finishing 19th would be a miracle, let alone 17th.

Edited by CFuller

It is quite a big deal here in England, to put it lightly. The women's game has exploded over the last few years, especially since we won the Euros, and more and more people are hoping/expecting we can go all the way in the World Cup too. The matches have all been shown live on BBC and ITV for the first time, whereas before, they'd usually be hidden away on Eurosport or the minor BBC channels.

It certainly makes a change from 25 years ago, when Sky Sports treated the women's FA Cup like a novelty - a source of comedy even. (To be fair, this was in the Keys and Gray era.)

With women's competitions coming to FM25, I'm already looking forward to starting my first save with Arsenal in the WSL.

9 hours ago, tenthreeleader said:

Also, just out of curiosity, what has the reaction been where you all are to the WWC? 

There's some interest but overall fairly muted, despite the fact that all the matches are available free-to-watch (something extremely rare around these parts. Usually have to pay to watch major tournaments). Personally I've tried to watch highlights of as many games as I can though.