Will the DRM on FM 09 stop you from buying the game?

Will the DRM on FM 09 stop you from buying the game?  

1,279 members have voted

1. 1. Will the DRM on FM 09 stop you from buying the game?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
tbf to Si, despite some people claiming the opposite, i still see not one reputable pre release forum/website showing a scene release of FM09 anywhere, so they are likely happy with the piracy issue

there were two separate attempts but both are totally botched. For some reason that makes me extremely happy. :)

Wrong guys. There is a working release out now, has been for a good few hours now. Looking at some of the coments no one has had problems so far and alot of comments are laughing at the state of this whole activation issues.

nope there isn't, it's bugged to hell and people will find that out pretty soon.

Wrong guys. There is a working release out now, has been for a good few hours now. Looking at some of the coments no one has had problems so far and alot of comments are laughing at the state of this whole activation issues.

edit, it would appear a group has released a semi working version, i guess a full working crack isn't far off

double edit : the release was nuked as the crack doesnt work

so SI win day 1

edit, it would appear a group has released a semi working version, i guess a full working crack isn't far off

double edit : the release was nuked as the crack doesnt work

so SI win day 1

Even if they don't crack it today or tomorrow, they'll probably do it very soon. And the game will get pirated and today after all the fuss, SI had just lost customers.

well the DRM is a smash hit on Amazon.

i haven't tried it yet. all i see are the CD version and i am waiting for either a download or a Bangkok release.

however, if i keep reading that the installation isn't working i'll probably wait until that is sorted anyway.

Haha that is classic, just like spore.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronic-Arts-Spore-Mac-DVD/dp/B000FN7K2S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1226730436&sr=1-1

But the point is that the DRM may be actually recouping sales from those that'd normally pirate it but don't want to wait. I don't think that too many people are refusing to buy cause of DRM - forums are IMO not an even vaguely accurate sample of a userbase.

but if Amazon are any indication, many people who went ahead and bought the game are so upset by DRM that they won't be buying FM 2010.

this is still anecdotal evidence of course, but unlike this website, the one star reviews on amazon (i think it's averaging a little over one star, largely because of DRM related problems) are quite likely to hurt sales. i'm sure i'm not the only one who thinks twice before buying a one-star-rated product on amazon.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Who'd have thought that DRM would cause customers to suffer upset? I never saw this coming - lol.

I'm so disappointed that I decided not to buy it ;)

Nice one Sega / SI, a perfect demonstration on how to p*** of customers. I haven't felt this happy in quite some time.

anyone reckon they will learn from this debacle ?

Yes. Next year they will use the same DRM, but with an added guarantee that this time they'll be ready to handle all the activations. Then at release day everything will go to hell as always :D

The problem with DRM is that pirates will always pirate, and if they can't get a certain game, then they'll find something else to download. That's why it's so much more important to try and take good care of your loyal customers than to try and stop the pirates, since that probably won't increase sales anyway.

Naturally a game developer has to do something to protect their games (if nothing else they probably have to show that they are not just giving the game away) but it has to be done in a way that never in any way inconvenience the loyal customers.

And that's why DRM doesn't work.

By the way, still no answers to the questions I’ve been asking SEGA/SI about the things that don't make sense in their explanation of the DRM. Guess it'll never be answered.

Who'd have thought that DRM would cause customers to suffer upset? I never saw this coming - lol.

Nice one Sega / SI, a perfect demonstration on how to p*** of customers. I haven't felt this happy in quite some time.

You must not get out much then?

Quite true actually. To be honest, I have very little sympathy for SI/Sega at the moment. I have to wonder how they are thinking in this situation. I don't argue that they don't have the right to "protect" their product, but what is more important in their eyes? Customers or piracy? It seems they put in more effort on anti-piracy than their customers and potential customers. They are on a very thin line after this debacle, and time will tell just how much this mess has hurt them in the future.

You didn't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out they were gonna land in all kinds of mess on release day with the activation. I doubt they will learn however, they will likely just try something even more extreme next year. Even the more simple crackers have bypassed the activation part and even if the game isn't working to 100% because of the triggers put in it will eventually, in a day or two. It's pretty much exactly like last year, except it didn't show up a couple of days before release. But seriously, I doubt they managed to convert those that wasn't gonna buy it cause of piracy but rather loosing legit customers and many thinking of buying it but probably won't now after this mess.

Yes!!! I'm playing the demo after missing FM for a few years and starting to get the bug again but after reading the problems on here and Amazon I think I will give it a miss. When I buy a game I expect it to work out of the box. In my opinion the music and film industry has more problems with piracy than games yet when I buy a DVD or CD I DO NOT have to connect to the internet or phone for an activitian number. SHOCKING treatment of costumers.

So was anyone but the pirates winners in this sad DRM-adventure? Was it good for the paying customers? Hardly. From what I´ve seen from forums all over the world, most customers have been ****ed in a way that I´ve never before seen in the world of gaming. That includes Big Rigs and Counter Strike 1.6. Was it good for SI? SI has a large army of fanboys (including myself) who keeps crawling back despite disappointments like this (CM 4, anyone?), but I find it hard to imagine they will win over any new customers this year.

I really hope some kind of lesson was learned from all this, so it wasn´t all for nothing.

Personally I really FEAR for SI future and think the DRM/ACTIVATION fiasco was rather too risky for them to have taken. Why did they not consider if it blew up in there face.

Why I worry unlike EA they can just brush it off and dust down and carry on they are BIG enough company to do that. An error like this could kill SI they only have one game release and if that bombs hence why this DRM/ACTIVATION gamble was too big for SI to take. I dont want to have SI go under and the thought of no FM10- 11 12 13 etc. I cannot understand why the gamble was made yes do inhouse trials for future versions but they should never used DRM/ACTIVATION it as a public in its current state.

I do think there is a massive panick from SI at what damage its done.

I sensed it when Miles came on trying to plea to us who would not buy saying it was not SPORE like. I am glad I have not bought it but if hear that SI might go under I will BUY it but not play it. I dont want SI to go bust so my protest against DRM will wane if hear such possible bad news.

YES I hope they learn from this BIG TIME. I had my fears come true when heared it would be manual based keycode which humans would read and enter. I big recipe for disaster was looming I could predict this was going to end in tears.

Why oh why was there no safe guards on codes not easy to read. The activation was so 1990's method which got ditched yonks ago by many as it was fraught with danger.

the protection company tried to be clever try please those has no internet with a system which really only works effectively with online internet access. Likely this was a mandate by SI/SEGA a system which online/ofline could register and does not need a disk.

Realistically it was too much of risk although if the codes had certain combinations deleted it might have worked. Still there is always HUMAN error trying to type codes and that is why it was a mistake. Although online downloaded software works as an email is sent with the code which can be copy and paste.

I think in future the game should have DISK protection for those who dont have internet simply phone activation was the issue and cannot be pleased without making a problem.

If people wish to run without disk then the system should be automatic with a code on the disk which can be activated online. AN email sent to the user which is then copy and paste.

I just cant see any method which could work for people with no internet to work without a disk which would be simple, clear and have little chance of errors.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bump this thread after 10 days, but I've just had to reinstall FM09 after installing some more RAM managed to take out my Vista install.

Assuming the re-install would have used up an activation I've just checked the deactivation site (http://deactivation.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/) and it appears the reinstall hasn't used up an activation, according to that site I have only activated once on the 14/11, not yesterday. (though using the american dating system on the site not helpful).

This brings up a couple of comments/questions:

- FM09 is installed to a different partition than Vista on my computer, however it wouldn't let me run the game without re-installing (some complaint about directx).

- Running the uninstall file from the uninstall folder did ask me if I wanted to de-activate I said yes, but it didn't appear to do anything as the site shows it's still active and the file didn't uninstall the game, possibly due to the new Vista install not having a record of it being installed.

I take it what happened when I re-installed and re-activated is that the server decided it was the same computer (even with 2 more sticks of RAM and a new install of Vista) and re-activated the game rather than use up a second activation? - Confirmation of that would be nice.

Or else the website just doesn't update straight away.

I would click the de-activate button to see what happens, but I've got enough stuff to re-install now as it is.

I take it what happened when I re-installed and re-activated is that the server decided it was the same computer (even with 2 more sticks of RAM and a new install of Vista) and re-activated the game rather than use up a second activation? - Confirmation of that would be nice.

I would click the de-activate button to see what happens, but I've got enough stuff to re-install now as it is.

We have always been told that we could install the game on 5 different computers at the same time. So it would make sense that the second install on the same computer doesn't cost you another one of your 5 installs.

If you ever get the time to try out that site, then I would love to hear whether your installed game really does stop working, if you choose to de-activate it from another computer. That's what we have been told, but it would go against the fact that we have also been told that the game only contacts the license servers during install.

The biggest problem for me is that securom sends personal information from my computer, how can i know for sure that in the future they won't steal my credit card account and bank account password?

It may seem stupid, but anyone is coruptable. I mean who would suspect a "legal" copy protection firm to steal personal info right?

Let's not forget, with situations like this theres usually some fine print in that huge agreement you click which then waivers it and lets them pass on what they like. Let's not forget this information does sell so any information collected during the registration process could be sold on by SI/SEGA or any activation party etc. Not corruptable if theres a little waiver signed in to access your internet cache etc and to be honest, I can see at some point that information being used by a party as part of the process if things carry on like this, theres already the situation for in-game advertising so data harvesting may not be far behind.

So was anyone but the pirates winners in this sad DRM-adventure? Was it good for the paying customers? Hardly. From what I´ve seen from forums all over the world, most customers have been ****ed in a way that I´ve never before seen in the world of gaming. That includes Big Rigs and Counter Strike 1.6. Was it good for SI? SI has a large army of fanboys (including myself) who keeps crawling back despite disappointments like this (CM 4, anyone?), but I find it hard to imagine they will win over any new customers this year.

I really hope some kind of lesson was learned from all this, so it wasn´t all for nothing.

my experience with this forum is that whatever issue, however insignificant, there will be posters who cry about it as if their life has been entirely ruined. this, however, is different in that *nobody* is satisified with it, and some people who don't normally whine about things are possibly giving up FM.

as for i think drm's a bad idea and i'm glad i'm on a mac, although they'll probably come after us soon enough.

Let's not forget, with situations like this theres usually some fine print in that huge agreement you click which then waivers it and lets them pass on what they like. Let's not forget this information does sell so any information collected during the registration process could be sold on by SI/SEGA or any activation party etc. Not corruptable if theres a little waiver signed in to access your internet cache etc and to be honest, I can see at some point that information being used by a party as part of the process if things carry on like this, theres already the situation for in-game advertising so data harvesting may not be far behind.

It would be illegal for them to sell on your data without your express permission. And these systems (electronic communications, etc), usually need to have an opt IN mechanism, as opposed to an opt OUT mechanism.

It would be illegal for them to sell on your data without your express permission. And these systems (electronic communications, etc), usually need to have an opt IN mechanism, as opposed to an opt OUT mechanism.

yes, just like all the data that the game's DRM collects on installation that is used to get a feedback of players' computers? did anybody agree on that? did anybody chech the mark to send that information? not only it is not an opt IN, its not even an opt OUT. its a no choice.

Archived