Corner Cheat?

I fail to see how this can be classed as a cheat, to be honest.

It's not exactly tweaking the game engine to allow my defenders to score.

It just so happens that it allows my players to score from corners.

Does that mean that Greece cheated to win Euro '04, because all of their goals were set pieces?

No.

Anyway, It got Richard Dunne to score 6 in 5 for me, but 3 of them were in game which I got beaten, and all 6 have been away fixtures. He always misses at home.

I tried this and the first game I tried it in I scored from a corner. I have now scored 2 goals from corners in 4 games. I know it's not a lot but before I scored the first goal from a corner I hadn't scored from a corner all season.

you are all basing it on real world rules, the fact is, if set up the right way the engine cant handle it and lots of corners are scored, the real world is handled by an engine its real, the game is trying to replicate the real world, but it goes wrong.

what about these super tactic with the arrows flying everywhere? they arent based on football tactics, they are based on the rules of the engine, i dont want to learn how to get round the rules of the engine i was to play a football managing sim.

I actually used this for a couple of seasons with Spurs ages ago, before I read about it here. I was initially happy at finding a good set piece routine, but then Ledley King ending the season top scorer with 30 odd goals kind of destroyed the immersion and imagination that is required to turn FM from a glorified spreadsheet into one of the greatest games ever.

As someone said above, if you're happy to exploit flaws in the match engine (which, let's be fair, does an amazing job in trying to simulate a very complex situation, and is more than allowed the odd quirk) then you're happy when playing the game so all is good. Personally, I wasn't, so I stopped doing it.

I use this since the A.I does, but never get anywhere near 30 goals, my top scoring centre back has 11 for the season and 3 of them were non-corner goals. Without using these instructions though my centre backs will score roughly two goals a season from corners....since I watch EVERY A.I team use this exploit I don't consider me using it exploititive.

Wow - there's a lot of misinformation in this thread.

The corner cheat is, essentially, put one or two guys with tremendous jumping and heading (often DC, possibly ST) in the box. Also give all of your other players instructions which keep them out of the box. Finally, set your corner taker to send the ball into the six.

The AI fails to adequately mark this - too many players head out of the box to mark your other players. That leaves your tallest players in one-on-one situations which they win fairly frequently - enough that they can lead the league in scoring.

The assertion "the AI is doing it" is absolutely FALSE - the AI is not ever using that specific arrangement.

. . .

There are perfectly reasonable corner-kick arrangements which do not rise to the level of "cheat".

Personally, I have three strong headers on: Near Post Flick, Challenge GK, Stand on Back Post. I have a striker on Attack Near Post, another player on Attack Far Post, and a midfielder Outside Area. Counting the corner taker, that makes 7 players involved in my corner by design.

Of the other three outfield players, I usually have Stay Back or Back If Needed, depending on how aggressive my formation is. My default approach is 1 Stay Back, 2 Back If Needed. Against the 4-2-4, protecting a lead, I stop sending my DC's forward and go to 3 Stay Back, 1 Back if Needed, removing the "Attack Far Post" player from the attacking setup.

My taker is set to "Mixed".

Result?

Last season, I led my league in goals from corners .. by exactly one goal. My first-choice DC scored six, and my second-choice DC scored two (oddly enough, in the same match).

Perfectly reasonable .. good enough that it feels like I'm gaining an advantage by clever corner strategy, but not good enough that I feel like I'm taking advantage of the AI.

Wow - there's a lot of misinformation in this thread.

The corner cheat is, essentially, put one or two guys with tremendous jumping and heading (often DC, possibly ST) in the box. Also give all of your other players instructions which keep them out of the box. Finally, set your corner taker to send the ball into the six.

The AI fails to adequately mark this - too many players head out of the box to mark your other players. That leaves your tallest players in one-on-one situations which they win fairly frequently - enough that they can lead the league in scoring.

The assertion "the AI is doing it" is absolutely FALSE - the AI is not ever using that specific arrangement.

. . .

There are perfectly reasonable corner-kick arrangements which do not rise to the level of "cheat".

Personally, I have three strong headers on: Near Post Flick, Challenge GK, Stand on Back Post. I have a striker on Attack Near Post, another player on Attack Far Post, and a midfielder Outside Area. Counting the corner taker, that makes 7 players involved in my corner by design.

Of the other three outfield players, I usually have Stay Back or Back If Needed, depending on how aggressive my formation is. My default approach is 1 Stay Back, 2 Back If Needed. Against the 4-2-4, protecting a lead, I stop sending my DC's forward and go to 3 Stay Back, 1 Back if Needed, removing the "Attack Far Post" player from the attacking setup.

My taker is set to "Mixed".

Result?

Last season, I led my league in goals from corners .. by exactly one goal. My first-choice DC scored six, and my second-choice DC scored two (oddly enough, in the same match).

Perfectly reasonable .. good enough that it feels like I'm gaining an advantage by clever corner strategy, but not good enough that I feel like I'm taking advantage of the AI.

Why not have a man come short too?

In reality, I think a man should always come short, as it tends to draw 2 defenders out. Even if you never use the short option, it adds more (2 less defenders in the box) than it subtracts (your shortest attacker out the box)...

Of course, when they realise you don't use the short man anyway and don't throw two men out... That's when to use him ;-)

I think when people say cheat, they mean that they are using some kind of loophole in the ME that

allows them to gain a unfair advantage on the AI. Yes sure, setting it up the corner cheat isnt really

cheating and yes definately alot of people discover the tactic themselves and dont realise it is a cheat,

however do you really want to win the treble with Man United because you outsmarted the AI and had

Vidic score 50 goals in one season, 47 off corners? Is that why you play the game? Is that why you buy

the game? Then I would suggest you buy FIFA Manager whatever and stop playing Football Manager

because you people are disgraceful and are destroying the reputation of the game. This also applies to

people who reload when they lose etc. Who is with me!!!

Then I would suggest you buy FIFA Manager whatever and stop playing Football Manager

because you people are disgraceful and are destroying the reputation of the game. This also applies to

I'm with you my friend! LOL

Then I would suggest you buy FIFA Manager whatever and stop playing Football Manager

I think calling me "disgraceful" is a bit heavy tbh.

I don't see how I am destroying the reputation of FM? :confused:

Aren't I free to use whichever tactic/set-piece set-up I see fit?

Are Kimz tactics (and others like it) "disgraceful"? Or just very good? They exploit weaknesses in the ME too.

The only people who I would call "disgraceful" are the people who don't pay for a legit game.

Saving and reloading is something I never do, but as far as I'm concerned, anyone else can do this as much as they want and win everything. If it makes them happy. I wouldn't call them "disgraceful" either. It's THEIR GAME TO DO WITH AS THEY WISH.

I think calling me "disgraceful" is a bit heavy tbh.

I don't see how I am destroying the reputation of FM? :confused:

Aren't I free to use whichever tactic/set-piece set-up I see fit?

Are Kimz tactics (and others like it) "disgraceful"? Or just very good? They exploit weaknesses in the ME too.

The only people who I would call "disgraceful" are the people who don't pay for a legit game.

Saving and reloading is something I never do, but as far as I'm concerned, anyone else can do this as much as they want and win everything. If it makes them happy. I wouldn't call them "disgraceful" either. It's THEIR GAME TO DO WITH AS THEY WISH.

Touche... I just thought it would be good to sound a little forceful to stress my point. Most definately

its your game, you can play it in whichever manner you want. I just hope you can sleep at night with

a clear conscious knowing you have just cheated a innocent AI ME who has done all it can to provide

you with as much enjoyment as possible. I would almost call this AI rape!!!

Haha sorry I'm kidding obvoiusly... Yeah sup to you how you play, I guess I'm just a more skillful manager

then you HAHA... I'm just being a jerk!!!

its your game, you can play it in whichever manner you want. I just hope you can sleep at night with

a clear conscious knowing you have just cheated a innocent AI ME who has done all it can to provide

Haha sorry I'm kidding obvoiusly...

Does that mean the crusade is over Samsung?? Damn, I was all set too :(

Does that mean the crusade is over Samsung?? Damn, I was all set too :(

Even though the crusade didnt last long I will always cherish the time we shared together and I feel as if

"the two of us could be come friends" and i have a "high opinion of you" ^^ HAHA

Even though the crusade didnt last long I will always cherish the time we shared together and I feel as if

"the two of us could be come friends" and i have a "high opinion of you" ^^ HAHA

LOL Steady on with the 'friends' bit though - that's how rumours start! The lads would never let me in the dressing room!!

Touche... I just thought it would be good to sound a little forceful to stress my point. Most definately

Haha sorry I'm kidding obvoiusly... Yeah sup to you how you play, I guess I'm just a more skillful manager

then you HAHA... I'm just being a jerk!!!

"AI Rape" :D

• 4 weeks later...
Hey, what about Rpry Delaps throw ins then.. are they an irl bug? ;)

by the way, is it:

challenge gk + attack near corner

or

challenge gk + near post flick on?

The former.

But that's FM08, mind. In 09 I haven't scored from a corner in 7 matches so far.

• 1 year later...

Archived