The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the bigger question here is, how did Kanuas lose to this team? icon_biggrin.gif

they should have been hammered and if Boyd's chance in the first minute had went in, it probably would have happened - instead it turned into two jam goals and bookings from a card happy referee

Hutton's red was right, but that ref is the sort I don't like to see, stopping the game all the time and handing out cards like it's Christmas

although saying that, we should secure the tie next week, unless Zeta find an aimbot to finish off their chances, nearly every chance they had was ending up in the stand or out for a throw-in icon_biggrin.gif

Dunno, I didn't think we were that bad, it's not as if Zeta were ever going to score, think McGregor possibly had one reasonable save to make.

The Hutton sending off was very harsh imo. Patterson said something about the referee evening it up when that Zeta player was looking for a penalty after the Novo incident but mibbe the Novo incident was evening out a rather harsh card.

Cuellar I like a lot and think he will do well, Papac was decent, Ferguson and Hemdani were solid but as people have pointed out there is a lack of creativity there. McCulloch played well enough without being brilliant and Darcheville will get a few goals this season for sure. Not a brilliant performance by any means, but how often have we seen sides play well and lose so I'll take playing way below par and still winning. Goals a goal, who cares how they come, this isn't gymnastics you don't get extra points for style.

Charlie Adam was pish. Kris Boyd should have been taken off after that disgraceful miss and was probably coming off soon enough anyway. Novo was his usual self, works hard at times but lacks quality really, decent squad player nothing more.

Of course people will say if that, if this, but at the end of the day, we won, bottom line and I'll take it. Famous last words, but I can't see us lose 3-0 in wherever it is Zeta play.

Everyone pouncing on the fact we never won 5-0. So what? Had Boyd stuck the ball in the back of the net after ten seconds, we might have. They sat in, we (eventually) battered our way through. Performance we have to expect from a team that has so many new faces. Confidence, familiarity and match fitness will all improve over the coming weeks. Plenty still to be positive about. Let's just allow the other side to dismiss us after one competitive match that we won. icon_biggrin.gif

I didn't see the game and from what I've heard it was nothing special but it's a win, a clean sheet and from everything so far this season you can't help get the feeling we're going to stop giving away so many wanky soft goals and that in itself will make a world of difference

I suppose if we'd been offered 2-0 before the game we probably would have took it.

Started each half very brightly and it was alays going to be tough against a team sitting in an playing on the counter. Ferguson was playing too deep and was too over-elaborate in possession. However, the work-rate of JCD, McCulloch and Novo eventually cut them open - even if both goals were very scrappy.

I actually didn't think the second goal was a foul by Novo. I thought he did very well to put himself into that area and stand his ground. First goal was David Weir's but JCD did well to challenge the goalie.

On a more negative note, I was very disappointed with how easily Zeta cut right through the middle of us time after time. Same happened last year quite often and we won't get away with that against better opposition.

However, it's the first game of the season while they are well into their's and it's a handy lead ahead of next Tuesday. We should have more than enough to hold onto it.

icon_smile.gif

Charlie Adam and Lee McCulloch cannot be the first choice wide midfielders this season for Rangers. Neither of them has the pace, the ability to cross a ball or lead quick counter attacks. I'd have no problems with Adam being left on the bench. He slowed the attack down time and time again last night when a pacier player (Beasley, Novo, Burke) would have went direct and ran at their man.

All in all a very average performance. Cuellar looks a great signing, finally a centre half who can attack the ball in the air, JCD looked strong and powerful and should be an very good addition and I was happy with McCulloch.

Boyd and Adam were rotten. 2 billy big times who better get the finger out this season as their now is players who can come in a replace them.

Looking back now, 2-0 was the absolute minimum result that would be acceptable against this level of opposition. Lets hope that got the poor perfornace out of the way before meeting better teams.

The defnce was acceptable altho lacked attacking menace. Huttons dismissal was so stupid that it beggars belief, especially with no other DR cover in the squad! Cuellar, as others have said looked solid although there wwere a number of times where the centre of the back four looked very fragile when someone ran straight at them.

The midfield lacked creativity and this was one area of worry for the season- strangeley they looked better after going down to 10 men. Adam had a shocker and needs to contribute more than just free kicks. McCulloch was OK and JCD ran hard and will be successful at domestic level. If Boyd had scored at the start they would have scored 5 or 6 but he needs to keep his chin up and remember that McCoist missed loads as well but still scored plenty. Novo tried hard as always but his first touch let him down time and time again and will never now be anything other than a squad player.

If they come through the next 2 away games unscathed then that should instill some confidence altho there is more danger IMO from ICT

• SI Staff

I didn't get to see the game, but I had a drunken e-mail from my faither berating the team and saying it's worse than when Eck was in charge icon_biggrin.gif

I think he might be overreacting a little as usual!

Guest sav112
Originally posted by Ter:

I'd give the drunken e-mail some Validity – We should have played better, thee is a few players that look like they just don’t have a brain at times…..you foul a player so ffs don’t go back in heavy two seconds later………..

Adam was passing fantastically well, I mean I think he hit the same seat three times in the stand…..

I still think we suffer from the same problem. There is no plan off attack its like

“ok I’ve got the ball what will I do nowâ€

Not one creative player out there! Plus it’s like there is a rule you cant go into the box with the ball!!!! Some one show them Gazza running with his chest out With that “your not stopping me this is in the netâ€

Early days all the same.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/k/kilmarnock/6926175.stm

Celtic close in on Naismith deal

Celtic are close to agreeing a fee with Kilmarnock for striker Steven Naismith, BBC Sport understands.

The Rugby Park club previously said that it would take around £2m to secure the 21-year-old's signature.

But the champions are thought to want assurances that Naismith wants a move to Celtic Park before a fee is agreed.

Kilmarnock have turned down four bids from Rangers for Naismith and Walter Smith has said he has withdrawn his interest in pursuing the player.

The Scotland international submitted a written transfer request after becoming frustrated with the long-running transfer saga.

Hearts and Hibernian are also believed to have made contact with Kilmarnock about the player.

Naismith, who scored 19 goals for Kilmarnock last season, has said he would prefer to join Rangers, the club he supported as a boy.

However, he has not ruled out playing for their traditional rivals, Celtic.

Originally posted by Ter:

I didn't get to see the game, but I had a drunken e-mail from my faither berating the team and saying it's worse than when Eck was in charge icon_biggrin.gif

Think he's very much overreacting, quite a lot of people are. We actually passed the ball about quite well at times, there was a lot to be pleased about. The main problem was getting decent balls into the area - I think it was Pat Nevin said you don't need the wingers pumping the ball in from deep, the full backs can do that and it was noticeable that Novo made more runs to the byeline when he came on. Its easy to blame the strikers - mainly because on the face of it Boyd had three simple chances that he fluffed - but they didn't quite get the service.

I've seen a lot of European ties - especially at this stage of the season - where we have played a hell of a lot worse, and a lot where we have played a hell of a lot better - and lost.

On the signings front, no doubt Whittaker is a good acquisition, but where is all this money suddenly coming from?

Archived