The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

Although it goes against my better nature as a Celtic fan, i hope you guys do well this season, both in Europe and domestic.

It's no fun having no real challenge.

Anyway, well played with the Chelsea result and I hope youse do well this season. Despite whatever history our clubs have, it's always nice to see a Scottish club do well in Europe.

Actually, please provide a good challenge though. I hate having to sit through a crap match, knowing that even if we dont win, the league is still ours.

Here's to an good, interesting season icon14.gif

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if both teams are consistent as Celtic have been in the last few years and we haven't, I can't see why this season couldn't be an exciting title race

with Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts providing support as well icon14.gif although I won't be saying that after the first game when Caley probably beat us icon14.gif

Yeah, as much as I like winning the league, it's boring having it having it wrapped up too early, without no real challenge from anyone.

Domestic Scottish football as a whole needs more challenge. I just wish Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen etc could be more consistent.

Last day drama ftw. icon_smile.gif

Guest sav112

Must say I’d take winning on the last day everytime, it was brilliant and that was a good Celtic side compared to the Celtic of the last few season which I still consider a poor side, Rangers were disorganised and had a Manager who lets face it thought that improving fitness and discipline meant ****ing off the established players and bringing light weights last season.

Walter knows the Score as was seen when he arrived, I would not be surprised if Sebo went on and done well under him. Plus As Barry has said it’s a pleasure going into training and Ally and McDowall might prove to be a master stroke.

Walter must love Murray Park icon14.gif, make a difference to come back and have one of the best training complexes in Britain in place.

Guest sav112

Didn’t think I’d see Amaruso and Gough and the guy out of layer cake playing football but I can

Alan Ball Memorial game –Skyone!

i dont see the point in getting cousin if we are going to keep our existing forwards. we have got enough numbers, especially if walter insists on having one up front a lot, surely they wont get enough games and just get rusty.

obviously novo can play on the wing and if we managed to get naismith he could perform a similar role but a creative midfielder really should be our target.

the transfer price was probably a mil over the odds but i would hate to think that missing out on scott brown could damage our season

Originally posted by underwater sunlight:

i dont see the point in getting cousin if we are going to keep our existing forwards. we have got enough numbers, especially if walter insists on having one up front a lot, surely they wont get enough games and just get rusty.

obviously novo can play on the wing and if we managed to get naismith he could perform a similar role but a creative midfielder really should be our target.

the transfer price was probably a mil over the odds but i would hate to think that missing out on scott brown could damage our season

Totally agree with this. There shouldn't be any more forwards coming unless some are leaving.

• SI Staff

Maybe Walter sees Buffel as being the man to play in 'the hole' doing all the creative stuff behind the striker(s) and with (hopefully) Ferguson supporting that with surging runs forward it could work.

But I have my doubts as Buffel has had plenty of chances to impress, although he has been stuck out wide maybe a bit too much. Would be interesting to see him get another chance, especially with hard workers like McCulloch who will take the pressure off players like Buffel.

Originally posted by underwater sunlight:

The main thing different Cousin looks like adding to the frontline is height. Doubt we'll go with just one up front against most of the SPL dross.

Buffel has all the talent he just doesn't show it enough, as Ter says though maybe with some harder working players it will allow him to flourish a bit more.

We need someone with that little bit of class where they can make something out of nothing when its really needed, like Gazza and Laudrup used to.

Apparently our debt trebled to £15m last year. We really need to get into the vhampions league this year.

I can't see why we're interested in this Cousins guy. If we were going to sign a striker surely a younger one would be more beneficial. The Whittaker move is a bargain though. WP Smith icon14.gif

read the price for Cousin was £1.5m as well, surely better just buying Naismith and just giving over the money wanted by Killie to get someone who will strength the team

Cousin is an unknown quantity, but Naismith will surely improve us and we all know what's capable of

Originally posted by Sam Spade:

dunno why anyone is excited by whittaker; cannot defend and wouldn't get a game ahead of hutton so why pay ~2m for him

He's young, Scottish and has alot of potential. Of course he won't get ahead of Hutton but I think the plan will be to use him playing ahead of Hutton or even behind him. The chances are Burkey's just moved down the pecking order. icon_wink.gif

well i guess but wouldn't he be behind burke and mcculloch?

McCulloch will play Left side midfield and Whittaker Right side. Burke is too inconsistent in my opinion. I think Beasley will start on the bench. Whats gonna happen to Iain Murray though?

• SI Staff

well i guess but wouldn't he be behind burke and mcculloch?

Burke has been poor for a long time now. He was good in the Champions League a couple of years ago but he's had nowhere near that level of performance since then. He played quite well when he got the last 10 mins against Chelsea at the weekend though.

We used to have the problem of not enough quality to come in and not a lot of competition for places but now there is at least one other player who can play in a position so there is going to be some good competition for places this season.

Nobody has their position safe. Probably not even Barry Ferguson tbh, or have I taken that too far? icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by lovenkrands01:

Whats gonna happen to Iain Murray though?

Dental school.

Whittaker's better than Burke surely. Certainly less of luxury against the cloggers we'll be playing week to week.

I really like the sound of Whittaker and Hutton on the right. Both are good going forward and will interchange nicely on that flank.

With McCulloch/Beasley on the left side and 2 up front that will enable us to play a more orthodox 4-4-2 which can be changed to a 4-2-3-1 for the more difficult games.

Quite happy with the way things are progressing but tonight will tell us exactly how we're doing. We need a good win the set us up for the start of the season.

icon_smile.gif

no surprises then, team I expected

was looking at FF earlier and a pdf file from UEFA (some newsletter) just shows how much we really do need to make the CL groups this year:

UEFA money allocations for 06/07

Galatasaray made €13m last year, reached the group stages and didn't really do a lot it seems - no mentions of gate receipts either so I guess that adds to the money pot

Celtic got to the 1st Knockout stage and made €15.6m and that's not counting the gate receipts - AC Milan won the thing and got €39.5m (without gates)

comparing Newcastle and Rangers who got to the same point in the UEFA Cup and got €450k for their trouble icon_redface.gif Sevilla won the thing and only got €6m - some teams in the CL groups made double that and didn't get through icon_biggrin.gif

actually quite an eyeopener for a lot of European teams, not just us

Originally posted by Obi-Wan Kenobi:

Apart from his headed effort, Adam has been god awful so far.

are you surprised? icon_biggrin.gif apart from his FK taking, his passing and crossing are abysmal

Archived