The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

feel a bit sorry for the lad as he did want to move to us

although it's maybe a karma thing to West Ham, or maybe he was destined to join us with this injury and they intervened to save us from it icon_cool.gif

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Hairy Coo:

I have been very reliably informed we have finally agreed a deal with rangers, around £1.85M, and naisy will be a rangers player by saturday.

£1.5M up front with add-ons and a sell-on clause.

What we should have offered at the start tbf.

Very pleased with that if that's the case.

Originally posted by Gary Toner:

We're too slow in midfield and I would get lynched on FF for this but Ferguson is the main reason. I agree over the concern on JCD's temprement it may be a weakness for him as I can see him being targetted alot early in games.

No chance you'd get lynched on FF for that - I've been saying the same about Ferguson since Thomson arrived.

Btw, since I've been touring Europe and haven't been keeping up to date, when is the home leg of the CL qualifier?

Smith was interviewed after the Falkirk game and staated categorically that they had withdrawn the offer for Naismith and were not proceeding with it- got quite shirty when pushed by the reporter so something has happened in the last 24 hours.

Not really sure where Naismith would have fitted in and where he would have been in the pecking order of strikers at the club, so perhaps it might be for the better.

So what's the early prediction for our game next weekend?

Most importantly how are those tickets going and where's good to eat and drink if you are staying in a hotel 20 minutes from Ibrox?

Guest sav112

Harry Ramsden's Glasgow

251 Paisley Rd

just walk till just about under the Kingston bridge!

Slap up fish hits the spot before the footie, there is also a few other places to eat at the Quay opposite like Frankie & Bennys plus Mc’D’s

Btw, since I've been touring Europe and haven't been keeping up to date, when is the home leg of the CL qualifier?

Tuesday 31st July

had a look on some live sport website and it says that Chelsea/Rangers TV are showing Rangers V Chelsea live next Saturday, anyone know if this is true or not? Ajax game on Tuesday will probably appear on the station the next day though, can't see that being live

Originally posted by Walrus:

Most importantly how are those tickets going and where's good to eat and drink if you are staying in a hotel 20 minutes from Ibrox?

We'll be a week or 2 ahead of you guys in preparation so that might even things out a wee bit. I'd expect a reasonably close friendly game. Not sure how competitive it will be because we have a very important match 3 days later.

Tickets can now be bought for the individual Chelsea match so I'd expect it to be a near sell out. In saying that some people may prefer to keep their money for our CL qualifier on the Tuesday.

Where is your hotel? Mr Singh's is a great Indian and they do football specials on a Saturday - the owner is a big Rangers fan so he'll make you chaps feel most welcome.

http://www.mistersinghsindia.com/

Originally posted by Frankie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Walrus:

We'll be a week or 2 ahead of you guys in preparation so that might even things out a wee bit. I'd expect a reasonably close friendly game. Not sure how competitive it will be because we have a very important match 3 days later.

Tickets can now be bought for the individual Chelsea match so I'd expect it to be a near sell out. In saying that some people may prefer to keep their money for our CL qualifier on the Tuesday.

Where is your hotel? Mr Singh's is a great Indian and they do football specials on a Saturday - the owner is a big Rangers fan so he'll make you chaps feel most welcome.

http://www.mistersinghsindia.com/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well my cousin's booked a travellodge or something whihc is 20 minutes walk from the ground. So fcuk knows to be honest!

Smith reported last night as stating that there would be no further signings before the deadline for player registration for the CL and that he was happy with the current squad. The only numerical weakness I can see is at right back to cover for Hutton but feel there is a creative weakness in midfield unless Buffel reinvents himself.

Originally posted by Walrus:

Well my cousin's booked a travellodge or something whihc is 20 minutes walk from the ground. So fcuk knows to be honest!

Ah, that's the one at the East end of Paisley Road West under the Kingston Bridge. It is about a 20min walk from the ground.

The Harry Ramsdens shout above may be the best one in that case although there is a retail park across the road with a couple of other places.

icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Andy "Muzza" Murray:

Guys,

How long would it take me to get from the Airport to Ibrox? I'm thinking about going up for the CL game but can only really take a half day off work.

Normally it would take about 10-15mins but there are roadworks around there. If you're taking a half-day and catching a flight about 3pm, you would still have plenty time. 60mins for the flight, 20mins baggage (if you take any!) and 30mins max in a taxi to ground. Loads of time.

Prestwick would be a bit tighter and I wouldn't fancy the journey back after the game.

• SI Staff
Prestwick would be a bit tighter and I wouldn't fancy the journey back after the game.

It's quite easy to get back that way. The best route (I've found) is to walk to the SECC and get a train into Central then get the Ayr train to Prestwick. That's the way I usually go, although I get a different train from Central icon_wink.gif

I suspect that last night's team wont be far from what Smith thinks is the strongest 11:

McGregor

Hutton, Cuellar, Weir and Papac.

McCulloch, Ferguson, Hemdani and Adam.

Boyd and Darcheville.

Assuming that no further signings are imminent, what is the opinion of the strongest 11 to start the season with ?

Decent performance last night if lacking in a little bit of creativity (as if we didn't know).

We are looking a reasonably solid unit though and with the addition of another 2 or 3 players there's no doubt we have an improved squad. Does it genuinely have the quality to challenge for honours? The proof will be in the pudding...!

Early signs regarding Cuellar, JCD and McCulloch are encouraging. Beasley wasn't as effective but he will give us much-needed depth on the left-hand wing.

icon14.gif

Originally posted by FrazT:

I suspect that last night's team wont be far from what Smith thinks is the strongest 11:

McGregor

Hutton, Cuellar, Weir and Papac.

McCulloch, Ferguson, Hemdani and Adam.

Boyd and Darcheville.

Assuming that no further signings are imminent, what is the opinion of the strongest 11 to start the season with ?

My opinion is that Weir annoys the hell out of me for some reason possible the lack of pace. But we do have Webster to fill in so its not that bad.

then there is the usual questions over Ferguson just have to wait and see to be honest.

Hemdani is quality though icon_smile.gif

• SI Staff
My opinion is that Weir annoys the hell out of me for some reason possible the lack of pace. But we do have Webster to fill in so its not that bad.

Weir was excellent last season. I'm guessing big Carlos will deal with the pacy players

I was exremely dubious about Weir when he came but have to admit that he did bring stability to a defence that should have been tight, but clearly wasn't. He is not anything like a long term solution and will proobably be given less playing time this year, but merits his place as long as there is a pacy DC beside him. With Webster, Broadfoot and Ugo ( as a last resort ) as cover, this shouldnt be a problem area- still concerned about cover for Hutton though.

Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">still concerned about cover for Hutton though

Apparently Whittaker is signing on August 1st. That's the latest rumour doing the rounds. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is ggod to hear- I hope that this is a rumour that has some substance, unlike lots of others!

Originally posted by Gary Toner:

Didn't realise last night that the guy Kennedy for Ajax was CM legend Kennedy Bakircioglu \o/

Along with thousands of others he was a "must-buy" for me in earlier CM versions ( was it 99 or 01-02?)- never could pronounce his second name so no wonder he became Kennedy!

Zeta coming to town next week. They nearly blew it to Hearts after going 3-0 down in the first 20 minutes of the 2nd leg, but pulled one back before half time and scored just before injury time in the 2nd half to prevent extra time.

Have to admit i'm a bit nervous about this tie, we all know Walter's record at this stage in the past has been horrid. I'd like to think we have enough quality to stuff these guys 3 or 4 nothing at Ibrox, but we'll see.

good to see Sionko hopefully going, only time I've seen him play was the first half of the Motherwell game at the start of the season and maybe the first half of the Aberdeen game before Christmas icon14.gif

good riddance and especially if we get a fee icon14.gif

had a look on some live sport website and it says that Chelsea/Rangers TV are showing Rangers V Chelsea live next Saturday, anyone know if this is true or not? Ajax game on Tuesday will probably appear on the station the next day though, can't see that being live

noticed nobody has mentioned this, the game is live on Rangers/Chelsea TV tomorrow at 3pm - build up from 2.30 icon14.gif

Archived