The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

Furman fit as Gers eye new faces

Rangers teenager Dean Furman has vowed to force his way into Walter Smith's first-team plans after putting his injury woes behind him.

Rangers teenager Dean Furman has vowed to force his way into Walter Smith's first-team plans after putting his injury woes behind him.

The South African midfielder, 19, has been out of action since captaining the Under-19s to victory over Celtic in the SFA Youth Cup final at the end of April.

The former Chelsea youth player has since undergone surgery to repair a torn knee cartilage and is determined to make an impact in the season ahead.

Furman was previous boss Paul Le Guen's first signing 12 months ago and he is also confident of impressing current boss Smith.

He told the club's official website: "It's been six weeks since I had my op and now it's important for me to get back into training.

"It's been a slow process and I haven't kicked a ball since the final but I hope to be back in training a couple of weeks into the pre-season.

"Obviously, it's based on performances and whoever the manager likes but I'd certainly hope to be involved in the first-team this season.

"It would be great to be a part of the full squad again."

There is likely to be competition for places in most positions next season, with Smith expected to make several new signings in the coming days.

Smith's main target is apparently Bordeaux's Julien Faubert, 23, who has been capped once for France and may cost around £4.3million.

The French club are reluctant to part with Faubert, who can play in defence and midfield, but his agents claim he is keen on a move to Glasgow and Rangers have reportedly formally notified Bordeaux of their interest.

New Light Blues signings Alan Gow and Kirk Broadfoot were recruited after both signed pre-contract agreements in January, and the next Scottish club Smith looks set to plunder is Kilmarnock for Steven Naismith.

Rangers have already had an offer of £450,000 rejected but may be prepared to meet Killie's valuation of the SPFA Young Player of the Year - believed to be in the region of £1.5million - in a bid to have the striker on board for pre-season training.

Wigan's Lee McCulloch is another target and talks with the Scotland international should take place over the next couple of days.

Previous boss Paul Jewell refused to sanction a move in January but his successor Chris Hutchings is likely to let the player go if the price is right, meaning Gers will have to pay £2million for his services.

I thought he was going to be a decent player when Le Guen signed him so will be interesting to see how he gets on this season.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as much as I like Sebo and would love to see him do well at Ibrox, Boyd and Darcheville will probably be the front two next year

Boyd can't play the one upfront role but he pretty much guarantees at least 25 goals a season and it's goals that win games, not performances

we could win every game next year by one goal like Celtic were doing in most last year, playing unattractive football and I think most would be happy, goals win games and titles icon14.gif

we all remember the great football we played under Advocaat but that was when we had a good midfield, pretty much now we don't have good movement to perform and win games 6-0 like we used to do - although that's also due to the other SPL clubs improving like Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen

• SI Staff

Jings! Not too happy if we get McCulloch to be honest, especially at that price.

What do you think of McCulloch anyway batch as you probably see more of him than all of us?

I've just posted this on another forum where a Gers fan asked my opinion on him -

He's hard as nails never say die. Wins everything in the air but will never score loads, not even in the SPL. No skill at all though.

Last season he wasnt much kop. Didnt seem his heart was in it after January - i wonder why icon_rolleyes.gif

Local paper tonight (and it's usually bang on with transfer stuff) says he'll be gone for £2.5m in the next week or so. Thats good business on our part i feel he is on the wane now.

Originally posted by batch:

Wigan Observer this week, and it's usually spot on with transfer talk, says that McCullouch will finally join you for £2.5m in the next week.

Ughhh, I just seen this. Gutted icon_frown.gif ffs David & Walter, spend half that on Naismith instead and put the rest to someone else!

McCulloch is crap and I am not happy that we are signing him.

Faubert wont come. We wont be able to afford him and we never put in a bid anyway. We may be interested but it stinks of a ploy to sell more season tickets.

Gers fail with new Naismith bid

Rangers have had a second offer for Scotland striker Steven Naismith turned down by Kilmarnock.

BBC Sport understands that Rangers offered £700,000, half to be paid immediately, with the rest to follow in a year's time.

Kilmarnock, who had rejected a £400,000 bid, would have benefited further from add-ons for goals and appearances.

But the Ayrshire club dismissed those outright and are thought to be holding out for £1.5m for the 20-year-old.

Kilmarnock chairman Michael Johston has kept manager Jim Jefferies informed of developments.

And Jefferies told The Herald: "Rangers have made an improved offer, but it was still not near our valuation.

"There has been talk of more than £1m with add-ons, but it was not in that area.

"It was an increase on their last bid but not substantial enough for Kilmarnock to consider acceptable.

"It was also structured with half up front and half in a year's time.

"It's up to Rangers what happens next. We have always said that unless we receive a bid that we consider acceptable then Steven will stay with Kilmarnock for next season.

"If the right money is put forward then it will be up to Steven what he does."

Naismith, who had a trial with Arsenal last season, has also been tracked by Celtic and several English clubs, with Bristol City going public with their interest.

But the striker, who made his Scotland debut against the Faroe Islands last month, would prefer to remain in his homeland at this stage of his career.

And he has stressed that he would rather stay at Rugby Park than be signed by one of the Old Firm clubs as a squad player.

He scored 19 goals last season and Rangers would like to re-unite him up front with former Kilmarnock team-mate Kris Boyd.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/k/kilmarnock/6243628.stm

oh dear oh dear :herman:icon_biggrin.gif

for half a million or something he wouldn't be too bad but £2.5m is a joke.

Also looking at the way Walter used McCulloch for Scotland we better get ready for a season watching Hutton under orders to punt long high balls into the left side of the box for McCulloch to occasionally win.

Originally posted by Frankie:

Svensson has signed for Caen...

im disappointed with that tbh.

he was showing signs of being a quality signing, and although ehiogu and weir done a good job, they will need to be rotated with the games we will have this season, in europe, the cups, and the league.

we'd better get the webster deal sorted out, otherwise we run the risk of being short at the back.

2.5 is steep for mcculloch as well. id happily pay £1.5m for him, as he would do a job, but it stinks that we are scrimping over naismith, but are apparently willing to pay that much for the big man.

• SI Staff
Svensson has signed for Caen...

Hopefully we got some cash for him and it wasn't yet another free transfer.

Probably best for him to go. He so wasn't suited to the "pump it" style of the SPL.

Saw Beasley's miss in the Gold Cup Final in the paper yesterday, they were comparing it to that memorable miss from Van Vossen. I haven't seen enough of him to know how good a player he is, would be nice to think he might have the same sort of impact as Claudio Reyna, different players obviously.

As for Smith, should be number 2 most of the season. Good to see another Scottish signing though.

a bit miffed that we got rid of Svensson as I still reckon there was a lot of potential in him, Beasley is a strange one - not going to say too much until I've seen him play in a Gers shirt and in our league with the SPL hackers, potentially a good signing with his pace though

although I expect Walter thinks that Ugo and Weir can play for another 10 years, so that's the decision behind Svensson - we will need to get Webster now then as I don't fancy having Ugo anywhere near that defence

Archived