^ but with most games, system requirements come as soon as its available for pre-order. It's just SI and a handful of others that release system requirements shortly before the game is shipped.

I know its easy to cancel the pre-order, but for people who have older machines (i'm not in this bracket) it puts pressure on them to spend money on a new/upgrading their machine just for the game, which again, is morally low.

There are more people than you think out there that buy new machines or upgrades just for one game.

No on is forcing anyone to preorder. If people don't feel comfortable, then they don't have to. And no one is forcing people to upgrade their systems either.

I think you're over reacting here.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No on is forcing anyone to preorder. If people don't feel comfortable, then they don't have to. And no one is forcing people to upgrade their systems either.

I think you're over reacting here.

I'm not saying its morally bankrupt and they should be punished or anything like that :D I'm just saying, it does add a sense of pressure to someone if they find out, once they've pre-ordered it and are looking forward a great deal to the next game, that suddenly they won't be able to run it.

It does happen..Crysis is an extreme example, but that convinced lots of people to buy new machines, just so they could play that one game.

Sorry if this question has been answered yet, haven't had the time to quite read every post.

Will it be possible to buy FM with a digital-download, and then connect it to STEAM? Because some of the prices STEAM put on some games are absurd.

not sure about that. I would presume if you can patch the boxed version through steam, you should be able to patch any version through steam.

I'm not saying its morally bankrupt and they should be punished or anything like that :D I'm just saying, it does add a sense of pressure to someone if they find out, once they've pre-ordered it and are looking forward a great deal to the next game, that suddenly they won't be able to run it.

It does happen..Crysis is an extreme example, but that convinced lots of people to buy new machines, just so they could play that one game.

We'll obviously make the system requirements known at the first opportunity - however, FM is generally not particularly hardcore in terms of PC requirements - certainly not in the bracket of Crysis, in my opinion...;)

We'll obviously make the system requirements known at the first opportunity - however, FM is generally not particularly hardcore in terms of PC requirements - certainly not in the bracket of Crysis, in my opinion...;)

No, i agree, i wasn't suggesting that it was. However with the 3d engine this year, there's a bit more uncertainty over the requirements than there would normally be.

Although if you were to use the Crysis engine for your match engine..that would be well..spectacular :D

Why is the Australian price on Steam set to be US$59.95. That is actually double the price for US Steam (US$29.95). It is not Steam that set the prices but the distributors. First THQ now Sega, I'm sick of the Australian prices being artificially inflated just because Jo Public has been conned to paying Aus$100 for games at a bricks and mortar store. Digital distribution should be available worldwide and the same price for all. No region limiting and hiked-up prices because companies think people are stupid enough to not notice.

I normally am a huge fan of Steam but this price gouging for different regions means I will skip this release or wait for it to hit bargain bin.

Daniel

Another question.....!

The Direct Download version of WWSM usually comes with just US English and Spanish language options. Will Steam offer other download options such as Language Packs? (For those of us abroad who like to use UK English...)

Reposting this Q as I feel its a very important one.

I have mixed feelings about steam distribution. One one hand, I'm thrilled that steam distribution SHOULD finally allow for a "globalized" distribution, where US users can actually get the game and patches at the same time as everyone else. I say should because the decision has still been made to have different names, and is regionally locked, meaning there will be different filepaths which could still potentially delay patches for non FM 2009 versions and/or cause problems with 3rd party mods.

On the other side of the coin, the game is still regionally locked, in that US users can ONLY download WWSM 2009 and not FM 2009, which is still mindbogling to me as it should be easy to give the choice of versions using this method. This would still give people who have no idea about FM 2009 and know the game as soccer in the US to find WWSM 2009 and grow the base, while those that usually import the UK version for whatever reason could simply choose to download FM 2009. Heck, even on the news item announcing that the FOOTBALL MANAGER team have joined up with steam, the link takes you to WWSM if you click it in the US. If the original post I quoted is correct and the digital WWSM does not come with UK english availible, it is another step back as even the WWSM boxed copies for the past two years have had that availible. I don't know if there are ways to install additional language packs into the game, but I do know that there are people who won't buy the game if they can't play it in UK english.

Unrelated Question: If we buy the steam versions, will the Steam client always have to be open to play the game or will we be able to run FM/WWSM independantly. I ask because I find the steam client to be a resource hog at times even when its supposed to be idle, and FM is also a resource hog at times and that could make for slow speeds if steam decides you suddenly need to get an update for another game while you are currently playing FM/WWSM.

Excellent news, as long as there are no area restrictions. Also, you implied that it would be US English only... that's a bummer.

Edit: The info in the Steam Store says:

Languages: English, French, Spanish, Italian, Korean, Danish, Portuguese, Swedish, Norwegian, Dutch, Polish, Czech

Why is the Australian price on Steam set to be US$59.95. That is actually double the price for US Steam (US$29.95). It is not Steam that set the prices but the distributors. First THQ now Sega, I'm sick of the Australian prices being artificially inflated just because Jo Public has been conned to paying Aus$100 for games at a bricks and mortar store. Digital distribution should be available worldwide and the same price for all. No region limiting and hiked-up prices because companies think people are stupid enough to not notice.

I normally am a huge fan of Steam but this price gouging for different regions means I will skip this release or wait for it to hit bargain bin.

Daniel

Also with the aus dollar up the creek now everything down under costing us heaps ill probably do the same as you, wish the A$ was still around the 96c US:( its down to 66 now, stupid credit crunch

Unrelated Question: If we buy the steam versions, will the Steam client always have to be open to play the game or will we be able to run FM/WWSM independantly. I ask because I find the steam client to be a resource hog at times even when its supposed to be idle, and FM is also a resource hog at times and that could make for slow speeds if steam decides you suddenly need to get an update for another game while you are currently playing FM/WWSM.

I think Steam needs to be on while you're playing but that doesn't mean you have to be connected to the internet. You can just log onto steam and then disconnect from the internet. You will still be logged onto steam and be able to play games but steam won't update any other games.

I looked on steam earlier (not throroughly though), and I only found WWSM 09.

1. Is FM09 going to be there?

2. Also, is there going to be any issues with mods/graphics packs/skins on FM09. I would be more likely to buy it on release from steam than wait another 2 months or so and get it as a christmas present.

3. Also, will Australia be screwed over like they have been on many recent steam releases, with the price in the Australian store being 2 or even 3 times higher than the equivalent cost on a English or American steam version, for no reason other than simply to gouge Australian customers.

reposting so it's not lost with the page change

edit - Well I have my answer to question 1 and 3.

Answer to 1 is that the name depends on the place you log in from, since my work uses a US Proxy, it said WWSM. At home it's FM.

The answer to 3 is a disgraceful "yes, we are going to be screwed over on price".

FM 09:

Australian Steam = $59.95 USD = $91 AUS. Which will be more expensive than most retailers. EG gameswarehouse.com.au its $79.95 AUD, with $6 postage it's cheaper for a boxed and posted copy[/b]. Does anyone remember when companies said digitial distribution was supposed to reduce game prices?

Being in Denmark suddenly makes the price $10 USD cheaper at 49.95 USD (16 AUD). What legitimate reason is there that suddenly makes it $10 cheaper in Denmark instead of Australia?

And of course, if you are in the USA or UK it's only $29.99 USD ($45).

In short:

UK/US = $30 USD.

Denmark = $50

Australia = $60

Please Miles, tell me what legitimate reason there is for this gouge? You only hurt your own sales, because people will not support companies who gouge in Online Distribution.

Are you from Australia David Bowie (if that is your real name)? Because if you are then you should be able to get FM09 not WWSM.

If you are in Nth America, then I believe that WWSM is the only (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) option.

I think someone said before that Steam should have no impact on graphics and the like.

Also it is likely that Australia will be screwed over in terms of prices as Dan Thomas pointed out above, the price for Australia is already set to as double the price of the US version.

EDIT: you edited your post anyway so it looks like you found the answers.

Well, I have a few questions as well.

I lived in Canada for a year so in 2006 in had WWSM as well and still could play online games with my mates in Germany who had FM. Is this still the case?

Will I need to be online to get access to my game by Steam when just playing by myself or will I be able to start my game offline as well without any need for approval by Steam?

Also I wonder why Steam tell me it would be just $ 29,99 (just 20 Euros :D) and not $50+tax as mentioned in here. Yet, I don't mind that :D

reposting so it's not lost with the page change

edit - Well I have my answer to question 1 and 3.

Answer to 1 is that the name depends on the place you log in from, since my work uses a US Proxy, it said WWSM. At home it's FM.

The answer to 3 is a disgraceful "yes, we are going to be screwed over on price".

FM 09:

Australian Steam = $59.95 USD = $91 AUS. Which will be more expensive than most retailers. EG gameswarehouse.com.au its $79.95 AUD, with $6 postage it's cheaper for a boxed and posted copy[/b]. Does anyone remember when companies said digitial distribution was supposed to reduce game prices?

Being in Denmark suddenly makes the price $10 USD cheaper at 49.95 USD (16 AUD). What legitimate reason is there that suddenly makes it $10 cheaper in Denmark instead of Australia?

And of course, if you are in the USA or UK it's only $29.99 USD ($45).

In short:

UK/US = $30 USD.

Denmark = $50

Australia = $60

Please Miles, tell me what legitimate reason there is for this gouge? You only hurt your own sales, because people will not support companies who gouge in Online Distribution.

So the game will be $30, cool works out cheaper to buy it online for downloads than pay £30 in the shops :).

Wehiii, i just preordered the boxed version in Denmark for only 26£ incl. delivery and tax :) I guess we get some advantages as a return for the worlds highest taxes :D

So looking forward to november...

i am going to buy through steam because otherwise i'd have to wait almost a week for the game to be delivered to Malta but i have one question.

say i download the game and start playing on 14th november but then a few weeks after i format my pc or change my pc for that matter.

would i be able to re-download the game again? or will i have to pay for it again?

and one more thing...will i be able to play FM09 on two computers at the exact same time?

thanks.

Stop complaining. :) As long as there is a retail version available its fine by me. Downloading from steam has always been more expensive than buying a physical copy of the game. If you dont mind the evil DRM and dont care if you pay more for less than steam is a good alternative. Personally i bought HL2, HL2EP1 and Sin EP1 that work only over steam and have since then decided not to buy any single player game that requires online authentication.

say i download the game and start playing on 14th november but then a few weeks after i format my pc or change my pc for that matter.

would i be able to re-download the game again? or will i have to pay for it again?

You can download it again.

i just want to know that once you've associated your game to STEAM in anyway... eg buy from STEAM, buy boxed but register patches with STEAM, or any other combination.

Would you then have to connect to steam online before you can play the game? Or can you still play it as normal without an internet connection?

What's the position for those who play on 2 computers? Are we even allowed to play on two computers now (legally)? I have my main desktop where I play the majority of my FM but I also travel with business and take my saved games on my laptop. It really passes the time in hotels!

The serial number / no cd required / steam distribution all seems quite clever this year, does that mean I will now have to buy two copies? I understand buying the game only gives you one license, but, there must be thousands of people who play the game like this and I was wondering if there is a solution for us! Other than the obvious, prize goes to the first person who flames me with "just buy two copies!"

What's the position for those who play on 2 computers? Are we even allowed to play on two computers now (legally)? I have my main desktop where I play the majority of my FM but I also travel with business and take my saved games on my laptop. It really passes the time in hotels!

The serial number / no cd required / steam distribution all seems quite clever this year, does that mean I will now have to buy two copies? I understand buying the game only gives you one license, but, there must be thousands of people who play the game like this and I was wondering if there is a solution for us! Other than the obvious, prize goes to the first person who flames me with "just buy two copies!"

I would also kinda like to know this as i was planning on playing network games with this years version with my bro and also he uses it on the main pc and i use my laptop. Is this not allowed? So we just use the same disk to load up. As far as i'm aware thats fine because we are under the same roof? So i'm not distributing it... in the same way that if i bought a DVD i can let all my family watch it but can't use it in say a pub for loads of people to watch?

Stop complaining. :) As long as there is a retail version available its fine by me. Downloading from steam has always been more expensive than buying a physical copy of the game. If you dont mind the evil DRM and dont care if you pay more for less than steam is a good alternative. Personally i bought HL2, HL2EP1 and Sin EP1 that work only over steam and have since then decided not to buy any single player game that requires online authentication.

I have no problem with Steam prices maybe being more than a discounted retail store. I prefer Steam as no hunting around for CD/DVDs, easily installed on multiple machines, easy to back-up games, auto patching etc. What I can not accept is the huge difference in cost based on where you live. US is $29.95, Australia is $59.95, Denmark is $49.95. The cost should be fixed at 29.95 + any applicable local taxes. There is no reason other than price gouging for the differences as there is no physical product being manufactured, distributed etc. Some companies on Steam seemingly want more money and to keep prices artificially high in some regions.

Daniel.

Steam is an absolute load of crap in terms of price gouging as others have said. I remember when they topped on $30+ on COD4 purely because we were buying from Australia. I certainly will not partake in this.

It was more than that. Overnight it went from US$49.95 which as at the time the Aus$ was about 97c was a great price to US$88.50. With the current exchange rate nearer 66c that makes COD4 the farcial price of AUS$134!!! All because THQ were greedy.

You're half right and half wrong. In some cases (lets take Spore) the cracked versions worked better than the legit versions - people who paid for the legit version could only install it three times on the same machine. People who "stole" (technically its not stealing, its copyright infringement) could install it as many times as they liked.

There have been enough games that don't use any copy-protection out that still sell well. At the end of the day it comes down to quality. Why do so many people download games these days? People have less money than they did 5/10 years ago. That's one reason.

Another reason linked to that is that more and more games are being released that are fatally flawed without being patched - and sometimes it takes months for them to be patched. Who has £30-£40 to waste on something that doesn't work? Not many people these days. SI know this all too well also - CM4 if i recall was buggy as hell out of the box. FM08 had serious issues when it was first released.

At the end of the day, if you release quality, then you will sell more copies. People will always download, until it's somehow stopped, which doesn't seem likely - but its a fallacy that some companies believe every download is a lost sale - most of those are by people that would never buy that type of game in the first place.

------------------------------------------

I think its morally unethical of SI to make the game available for pre-order before revealing the system requirements. I don't agree with that practice at all.

------------------------------------------

If you buy with Steam, it will only work on one pc at a time. So if you want to play it with someone in the same house, its best to buy a cd.

To be fair, GTA 4 was the highest selling game of all time, took in a Phenomonal amount of money, It was also one of the most pirated games ever. Proves that games sell if they are good, granted the marketing that went into GTA 4 and the hype was incredible, but the game itself was probably the best title to have been released so far, certainly got the highest review score in most places ive seen.

FM 09 will sell in its bucketload due to the title being historically quality, a company with a fantastic reputation (Although SEGA sold out to nintendo with sonic playing alongside mario now!!) but it will also be pirated in its bucketload. But it will prove when it breaks its old sales records that piracy doesnt hurt quality games. I pre ordered it from the hut at 17 quid including free delivery, so steam can kiss my ass. Out of pure principle I will not install anything third party IE steam starforce or anything else that isnt just the game. So anything using these methods I just dont buy

I would also kinda like to know this as i was planning on playing network games with this years version with my bro and also he uses it on the main pc and i use my laptop. Is this not allowed? So we just use the same disk to load up. As far as i'm aware thats fine because we are under the same roof? So i'm not distributing it... in the same way that if i bought a DVD i can let all my family watch it but can't use it in say a pub for loads of people to watch?

technically its not allowed. Technically you're not allowed to record a film on tv and then lend it to someone else in your household either.

Any company that complains about you buying one disc per household to install on more than one machine can go swivel in my view.

No way i'm buying it from steam though, as usual, they're charging double for the game. Ridiculous.

^ but with most games, system requirements come as soon as its available for pre-order. It's just SI and a handful of others that release system requirements shortly before the game is shipped.

I know its easy to cancel the pre-order, but for people who have older machines (i'm not in this bracket) it puts pressure on them to spend money on a new/upgrading their machine just for the game, which again, is morally low.

There are more people than you think out there that buy new machines or upgrades just for one game.

Yeah especially this year with the 3D match representation a lot of die-hard FM'ers are going to have to upgrade. I can see your point.

You mean other than the need for a dedicated quantum physics processor to decide exactly how each journalist reacts to your typed responses, and how this in turn affects the karmic system of earth and thus your luck regarding wind changes mid game?

Just a quick question, say for instance you already have a Steam Account, if I used that account with a bouight fm2009, and say I am banned on CS:S will this mean I am banned from playing online on fm2009? A friend of mine got banned on CSS via steam id and he can no longer play any online game that he has through steam, this includes day of defeat source and other games, will this be the same for fm2009?

Edit: btw he was banned for downloading gun models, one had an edited data file in it which allowed the gun to shoot at a different rate, VAC banned him thinking he was cheating with it.

Good to see VAC doing it's job and catching low life cheating scum. Of course VAC banned him, he was cheating with a gun that had a higher rate of fire.

I don't really understand all this fuss with Steam for people in the UK...

It can be pre-ordered for less than £25 on some websites... if Steam was cheaper then i might consider it as an option, but i guess that's their business model, good luck to them!

Sorry to ask a question that has been asked before, but would it be possible to get an official answer? I have FM installed on 2 computers (laptop and desktop) and play on both of them depending where I am and if the wife and kids let me near the desktop! :)

Can I still do this with Steam, or can it only be installed on one computer at a time?

Also, I think I must be a bit dense, but do you have to be online to start up FM for the steam version?

Thanks!

Good to see FM2009 on steam.

Anyone who's not used steam before here's a few pro's for using steam...

1. No CD's

2. Games are auto patched.

3. Friends messaging, can also see what game they are in. Can also add non steam games as shortcuts in steam(thus firend sees what game you're in)

4. Community groups to join

5. Redownload and reinstall games(account must own the game)

6. Instead of redownloading the game, use the steam back-up feature which will allow you to back-up the installation file to whatever media you want, eg cd/dvd/hard drive.

7. Achievements(not all games)

I've never understood why a minority of people don't like Steam, perhaps they are basing their opinions when Steam first launched and are stuck in the past.

rusty_u,

Thanks, I did find this on the Steam support site, but it makes me think I'm going to have be connected to the net and logged in to Steam to boot up FM, can anyone confirm this? Thanks!

"Can I use my Steam account on other computers?

You may use your Steam account on any machine which can connect to the Steam network - Steam allows you to download and install any games registered to your account as soon as you log in."

Good to see FM2009 on steam.

Anyone who's not used steam before here's a few pro's for using steam...

1. No CD's

2. Games are auto patched.

3. Friends messaging, can also see what game they are in. Can also add non steam games as shortcuts in steam(thus firend sees what game you're in)

4. Community groups to join

5. Redownload and reinstall games(account must own the game)

6. Instead of redownloading the game, use the steam back-up feature which will allow you to back-up the installation file to whatever media you want, eg cd/dvd/hard drive.

7. Achievements(not all games)

I've never understood why a minority of people don't like Steam, perhaps they are basing their opinions when Steam first launched and are stuck in the past.

Are you actually signing up only to post pro Steam stuff?

*goes to wonder if I should somehow advertise my company on here as well*

Are you actually signing up only to post pro Steam stuff?

*goes to wonder if I should somehow advertise my company on here as well*

No, i signed up ready for FMLive originally.

Do you have anything positive to contribute or are you in the camp of steam haters, simply because you need something to hate?

I would say people are 'whinging' about a rather large price premium for choosing Steam, which is fair enough. Is it really worth the £10 extra?

Not to me.

I wouldn't care if it was the only option, as I don't have a problem with Steam at all, but while there is a significantly cheaper alternative, guess which one I'll choose?

Well, Crysis demands a high end GFX card and a mid range CPU, on the other hand FM demands a gfx card made in this century and a CPU that hasnt been invented yet.

There are machines available on the market that allow you to play crysis on very high settings, but there are no machines or will be in the next 5-10 years that would allow you to play FM with everything on. My quad core struggles to play 10 leagues even though the game only processes one league on full detail at a time by default. So IMO the hardware requirements of crysis compared to those of FM are not exactly hardcore.

Archived