[FM17]We've turned into a Monster....

BoxToBox

Youth Day is upon us, and is a welcome relief from the football, to be honest....

bb674442cb1c3508b4a36a176baf1b20.png

Draws? Draws. Crap. We chucked our chance catch up with Bayern, scraped the cup, drew with Inter where we should have won, and after Bayern dropping points again earlier in the day, fail to capitalize on it against RBL. Pretty much wasted an entire month.

28c96cc69f7e4940276d715b860664dd.png

We did close the gap though, by a point.... Sigh.

Anyway, on to the meat and potatoes of the update....

087cec55941d458638b65b2606822dcb.png

Armand is rated yet again as a generational talent, our third overall, no idea how accurate that statement is, but Haller's about hitting world class, and Koep is coming along nicely, so signs are good!

Our squad is at a nice level now, so I do reckon that we're at the stage where a youth doesn't have to be 5* pa to be good, and a couple of these guys might end up quite useful.

06a87f5f7d48947e54a6fd2475ed62fc.png

Lots of holes in his game, no matter where I might play him, still plenty of time to work on them. Will be retraining him for the right wing.

9b58900192383faee28536932b3dbfa8.png

Lukas here should surely make a useful backup player at least?

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Five games to go, and things have become interesting.

fd77ff338f8e79f704d62fc66adf0fa9.png

In the league we've finally started winning again, narrow wins mostly, but wins none the less, in Europe we handily passed *shouts* INTER, though I was worried when they took the lead close to half time. Then over two legs we narrowly scrap by Real Madrid somehow, and we have PSG up next.

d59726256679d4f495caa29df02f5ae6.png

The gap has dropped to 3 points, but we need to win the next 5, hope drop 4 points in 15, or 3 and we have to out shoot them for the run in for goal difference.

30 minutes ago, RCtheOnly said:

It seems you've become something of a monstrosity (I honestly tried to be witty :rolleyes:) for most german teams. Anyways good luck in the CL final and here's to hoping Armand becomes a generational talent! 

Cheers!

0abd2d042380309646e529b65faa591b.png

Well, we ploughed into it as best we could and found our form when we needed it most. We held up our end of the bargain, and also collected the cup.

e56cb6d053104274c7b8cc1edb232e8f.jpg

Yet, it wasn't enough, Bayern won out too, and took the league on the final day. We knew it was going to be difficult this season, as the main reason we won was Bayern's massive winter collapse last season, so 2nd is still a season to be happy with.

We had one more thing to deal with...

bebf20ed1d5a10d9d22a26cf2b6a8461.png

Wasn't looking good, Memphis with a quick start to put us under pressure for the majority of the game. Feigenspan who'd mostly played a bit part this season was given a start on the right wing, as Haller was playing CM to cover for Dalmis, Mandt AML and Sané was on my **** list. Thank goodness he did, as he brought us right back into the game as we closed on half time.

Things started looking bad again, as Eggestein picked up a game ending injury on 44 minutes(he'll be fine, it's a 2 week knock). Lluca entered the fray, and in the 2nd half went into beast mode and destroyed Man Utd. A player I had been planning on selling.... These three goals were half of his entire season's haul. Half! :lol:

24f54df97d10102abc57f5cec86fb622.png3d8f757cb99b9cce3ea0dcd2c9e67a8c.png

Cracker of a season all told. Best 11 is pretty much my starting 11, barring Reith.

f0f11619ba8839db2b9f42d1329fc39f.png

This is pretty excellent, considering we're limited to two nations. It's kind of 14 though, there's one more German International who's joining us this summer.

5 minutes ago, LPQR said:

had a bit of catching up to do, but all i can say is...truly amazing job :) congrats! how many of your own academy players are in the first team btw?

Cheers, just Haller at the minute from my intakes, Bakalorz is from Munster originally too, though(which I didn't realise when I signed him). That said, nearly the entire squad are trained at club or trained in nation.

7 hours ago, Ceching You Out said:

Well that didn't take you long at all. Congrats on the CL!

3 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

Fantastic season. Topped off beautifully by the CL win

Cheers guys!

2 hours ago, King Costly said:

Brilliant season! Only one defeat in the league so you were very unlucky not to win that as well. Red Bull who? :D 

It's weird, we don't lose often, even the first three Bundesliga seasons we had 18-20 wins, it's draws that cost us time and again.

1 hour ago, deltablue said:

Good effort closing that gap, even if it wasn't quite enough. 

It was too much to expect, I guess, but Bayern had Dortmund on the last day so I was kind of hopeful for a big finish.

1 hour ago, Sean Blinkhorn said:

Excellent work. Do you feel the end is in sight with this save, out of interest?

Normally once I win the CL, I'd be getting itchy feet for a new save, but since it was quite the lucky win(both PSG and Madrid really should have beaten us), and we're not dominant in the league either, I haven't really got eyes on the exit. I still think the goal should be to become the most reputable club in the world(what would advertise the brand better? :D), we're 15th at the moment, just edged on to 4.5 stars and worldwide.

3 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

Normally once I win the CL, I'd be getting itchy feet for a new save, but since it was quite the lucky win(both PSG and Madrid really should have beaten us), and we're not dominant in the league either, I haven't really got eyes on the exit. I still think the goal should be to become the most reputable club in the world(what would advertise the brand better? :D), we're 15th at the moment, just edged on to 4.5 stars and worldwide.

Yes, definitely, the goal should be total corporate brand domination! :D

Well done on the CL win, that's always the one trophy that I find the hardest to win!

Another massive summer, this time with a World Cup chucked in the middle, Uruguay beat Italy in the final, and Spain took 3rd place over the USA. We had most of our business done early(one deal sorted even before the CL final), incoming wise, but we had to fit sales and promotions around the World Cup and a heavy pre-season. Also, John Drake has become a Munster legend and Eggestein won the European Golden Boot, surprisingly with only 22 league goals.

There were three things I wanted to address, 1 keeper, 2 left back, these are our weakest positions, and 3 width. I feel some of the draws last season would have been wins had we wide players to stretch defences.

3df4a0ba7c782b3e617911647fcc9670.png

Cups! We certainly know how to start a season! Koep scored on his debut, still but 16, becoming our youngest ever scorer. Frankfut's new manager is Robert Huth, btw.

5aacc4fe6ce91d762d89a3ddbbbe3f82.png

That's a horrible group for a 1st seed, but we're at a level were we should be expecting to do well against most clubs.

fcc02db2a36941ba92d499b65a186d8c.png

Another massive clear out closing in on 100m, this time not to repair finances as much as to cover for a strong summer and to make room in the squad.

Leroy Sane was in my bad books, and surplus to requirements and when it was decided width was needed, it was coming from the right wing.

Left back was a weak point, Alba plays better than the higher valued(and paid) Leibold, along with being Model Pro, there were no LB's on the market, so he's replaced by a promoted Bielefeld. The staff rave about him, he's growing well, it's time for him to get his crack at the first team. I think he should take over 1st choice from Alba in a season, if he keeps progressing. Hopefully he has "it" as Germany as a whole is fairly average at fullback anyway.

Klostermann had a year left, and wanted more money than I was going to offer. Everton get close to his buyout(and give him 195k a week, I didn't want to give him 70k), and everyone is happy. Isaac had well passed him as first choice and is on the way to becoming world class, it seems as the staff think he still has room to grow.

Lluca was let go regardless of his CL heroics, again a contract rolling down and I didn't want to give him massive money to be backup, better for him to be a key player at a Permiership side on 90k a week than my bench on less than 10% of it.

c1e9f770e9f3bddb57acae252be13fd9.png

64m in, another big summer, Brandt obviously being the most notable. We didn't get anything keeperwise, no one notably better than Muller was available. It's at the stage that it'll have to be someone from an intake, I think. Either ours or someone elses. That said, Muller did keep 22 clean sheets last year, breaking Neuer's record of 21. Though he's not special, he's consistently doing the job well.

cc62ae219abf0aaa5a9e3454e9fccc7d.png

A direct replacement for Sane, better player, better personality(they're both Ambitious, but his scout report rates his professionalism much higher). He'll add the width we need on the right. Also very versatile, being able to play on the wings, AMC or ST. I think 35-8m is a steal, really, for a top player and German International.

c7a77f101cfd0a7c5fe77fee3a3e2045.png

This guy has spent most of his career at 2nd div Hamburg, and I've been chasing him most of that time(he's one that I've constantly bemoaned not being interested in a move), delighted to finally get him, though in years gone by there were loads of times Hambug accepted much lower bids to no avail, this time he was listed by request. When they won the promotion playoff. :lol: Backup for Brandt, maybe eventual replacement.

The rest are a bunch of hot prospects we're taking a chance on, along with the usual USA chancers, there is one though....

9b804a97651db8cf2f171ad6658f4a5e.png

Sommer here could be the real deal. He'll stay in the first team as rotation for Eggestein, to accelerate his development, only for the fact that he's 18 already, Koep would be ahead of him, but at 16 Koep has time on his side and he'll still get minutes in the cups. We have impressive striker depth, especially if you include Brandt, and Eggestein is now world class, eventually I may have to switch back to a 2 striker system....

With the switch to wingers on the right, this is how the system looks now.

47fb669f6254e134adb331d8ffe78d52.jpg

There'll be ongoing tweaks, of course, I expect I'll end up switching the wingbacks to fullbacks, at least the right side one.

18 minutes ago, MadCatPT said:

Congrats on the Champions League!

Monster season! :D

Cheers!

Good luck. Just be careful that your CM(A) and IF(S) don't trip over each other's feet trying to occupy the same space. I ran a similar system in my Everton save and had a BBM as MCR and RPM as MCL. The right winger pushing forward often cleared out space for the BBM to advance into. Also, you might want to consider an Attack duty on one of your wide players. I found that having a W(A) or AP(A) on the right really helped the flow of attacking movement and passing, with the IF(S) arriving late into the box got on the end of a lot of balls and scored frequently. Finally, I found that my DM(D) sat way too deep and ended up changing him to a DM(S), but ymmv depending on PPMs.

:)

By the way, I offered a contract to Niklas Sule in my Leeds save! :p

28 minutes ago, facman said:

Good luck. Just be careful that your CM(A) and IF(S) don't trip over each other's feet trying to occupy the same space. I ran a similar system in my Everton save and had a BBM as MCR and RPM as MCL. The right winger pushing forward often cleared out space for the BBM to advance into. Also, you might want to consider an Attack duty on one of your wide players. I found that having a W(A) or AP(A) on the right really helped the flow of attacking movement and passing, with the IF(S) arriving late into the box got on the end of a lot of balls and scored frequently. Finally, I found that my DM(D) sat way too deep and ended up changing him to a DM(S), but ymmv depending on PPMs.

:)

Cheers for the insight. I probably will end up changing the winger to attack, the wingbacks to fullbacks, with the left being attack to overlap the IF, it's still a work in progress being adapted from an older theory-mongering tactic that had no attacking roles at all. The CM(a) is the big one, the reason I had him there is because Dalmis is left footed, and I find they usually work better on the side that suits their dominant foot. Of course he can get in the IF's way at times, but, there's also a kind of "central winger" effect that can happen when it's timed just right. If they cross paths, with the IF going into the box, Dalmis does have an excellent cross on him. As for the DM(d), that's very much what I want him to do, I usually even prefer an anchorman. I really want him to just screen the defence.

I should by rights think a little more and get the whole setup optimal, but at the moment I'm happy enough to not rock the boat.

29 minutes ago, facman said:

By the way, I offered a contract to Niklas Sule in my Leeds save! :p

Excellent, here's hoping he's as good for you as he has been for me!

19 minutes ago, oneronaldo said:

Almedin Lluca: "I'M NOT GOING ANYWHERE"

*gets sold anyway* :lol:

I can be absolutely ruthless. :D

Wow a hat-trick in the CL Final then sold to Blackburn, that a bit harsh lol.

Anyway well done on the crushing win over the Mancs, just need to see you topple Bayern (or have I missed it?).

16 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Cheers for the insight. I probably will end up changing the winger to attack, the wingbacks to fullbacks, with the left being attack to overlap the IF, it's still a work in progress being adapted from an older theory-mongering tactic that had no attacking roles at all. The CM(a) is the big one, the reason I had him there is because Dalmis is left footed, and I find they usually work better on the side that suits their dominant foot. Of course he can get in the IF's way at times, but, there's also a kind of "central winger" effect that can happen when it's timed just right. If they cross paths, with the IF going into the box, Dalmis does have an excellent cross on him. As for the DM(d), that's very much what I want him to do, I usually even prefer an anchorman. I really want him to just screen the defence.

I did start by playing an anchorman in the DM position, but once I had bought Thiago Maia I switched him to the DM role to give him a little more freedom. Playing him as a DM(S) allowed him enough movement to have an impact on the game, but yes, if you are more interested in defensive stability then a DM(D) or Anchorman will be perfect for you.

iirc I had Leighton Baines on the left playing as a WB(A) (but in the DL position not WBL position) and Seamus Coleman as a FB(S) in the DR position. I then had a reverse formation which swapped all of the roles around so that if I played Passlack as a DR I allowed him to bomb forward as a WB(A). Delofeu played as a IF(S) on the left, with Mirallas as AP(A) on the right, and in the reverse formation Delofeu was a W(A) and Mirallas an IF(S). I played Lukaku as an F9, which was a bit bizarre, but it really worked, and he scored 40 goals for me in my 3rd season!

Barkley and Marcelo Meli played in the MC positions, with Meli as the BBM and Barkley as RPM.

Oh, and I generally started a game with Control/Structured.

12 minutes ago, Maw74 said:

Wow a hat-trick in the CL Final then sold to Blackburn, that a bit harsh lol.

Anyway well done on the crushing win over the Mancs, just need to see you topple Bayern (or have I missed it?).

Coming right up. :D

4 minutes ago, facman said:

I did start by playing an anchorman in the DM position, but once I had bought Thiago Maia I switched him to the DM role to give him a little more freedom. Playing him as a DM(S) allowed him enough movement to have an impact on the game, but yes, if you are more interested in defensive stability then a DM(D) or Anchorman will be perfect for you.

iirc I had Leighton Baines on the left playing as a WB(A) (but in the DL position not WBL position) and Seamus Coleman as a FB(S) in the DR position. I then had a reverse formation which swapped all of the roles around so that if I played Passlack as a DR I allowed him to bomb forward as a WB(A). Delofeu played as a IF(S) on the left, with Mirallas as AP(A) on the right, and in the reverse formation Delofeu was a W(A) and Mirallas an IF(S). I played Lukaku as an F9, which was a bit bizarre, but it really worked, and he scored 40 goals for me in my 3rd season!

Barkley and Marcelo Meli played in the MC positions, with Meli as the BBM and Barkley as RPM.

Oh, and I generally started a game with Control/Structured.

Lukaku as a false9 sounds insane, but hell, you can't argue with those numbers! :eek:

5 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Lukaku as a false9 sounds insane, but hell, you can't argue with those numbers! :eek:

I think it was a combination of the role and his PPMs made his movement very unpredictable and therefore difficult to stop.

3a63a0dc38fa8a3ac3d19a42a425f932.png

We've carried on from where we left off, and have been in immense form, including giving Bayern a good rattle when they came to town.

af0fbc4e172108de43cac827dcd1216c.png

I can't see Koln keeping pace with us, and 12 points already is a massive gap with Bayern. I couldn't have imagined being in this position at any point this season, never mind so early.

af5da358560746639bfd46e0eedd9cda.png

Europe has also surprised, Chelsea of all teams in the bottom. Still, 3 games, I'm sure they can still make the knockout rounds.

7 minutes ago, facman said:

What's happened to Bayern? Have they lost a couple of key players or something?

Lewandowski left on a free to Man Utd, but is pretty past it by his standards, Renato Sanches left for 71m, again to Man Utd. Neuer, Boateng, Hummels and Muller are getting pretty old, but are still good.

That said, they still have a fantastic squad, I'm assuming it was just a rough patch of form.

d48dad5483b5ad8b4144a27dfe7bbcd0.jpg

2234fda00dacfc80ca34c4c587f90332.png

8e1d09283fb96fd8aac1f2821fb70858.png

1820dcfae6e3bf185c9f4ea316e21d7f.png

f0a022230efa8ab75a4e84a295403874.png

We've continued with some excellent form, the rotation players dropped points in two games, but we can't play the same 11 all the time. Feigenspan has now won the Bundesliga, CL, DFB Pokal and CWC with us, which is pretty amazing fro such a lowly rated player. Cléber has taken a German U-21 call up, so all is going according to plan there.

72f869bea3b2ad28a406e9f8dd1e53a5.png

Bayern back on track, closing the gap well, but we do have three games in hand to get back free and clear, though it may be difficult with fixture congestion.

82cab4e335a326a3649d1c1a08326574.png

Lille should be pretty disappointed with their CL run. 3 losses and a draw in their last four games. Chelsea absolutely got off the hook there.

7af80e288e40ae5193b7d36c63dbdf63.png

Reckon we got the best draw possible there.

Pay no mind if the updates are a little slower temporarily, I'm currently hooked on the Poké-crack(Moon, in particular).

On 11/23/2016 at 16:10, davehibb said:

Monster, monster!

Great achievement winning the champions league mate and looks like you're set to take advantage of Bayern's slow start this year too. :)

21 hours ago, King Costly said:

May as well put your name on the Bundesliga title already! 

6 hours ago, deltablue said:

Looking very good so far.

Cheers guys, everything looks well set for an excellent season as it stands.

Youth Intake is here!

5f0cb748142fccef3df0363bf5e1f8bf.png

Almost perfect on the pitch. Poor 'ol Leverkusen, kicked 3-0 in the league, days later our backup players put 4 past them.

eb4f6ee5e0e0653612a481feade7d8d4.png

Most of the gap has been reclaimed.

f0e26a88ee5bcaba32f9549f8f55f646.png

Brockschnieder is the standout, and another proclaimed potentially the best of his generation, that's the 3rd in 4 years for us. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but we are absolutely stacked going forwards, I'm desperate for a top keeper.

563c13190df543c139d1b4a8d242caa7.png

He definitely looks the part, with a cracking personality to boot. Quite similar to Koep and Sommer in balance.

e768e723e72e8d55c38548ed2998bd31.png

Bockler looks like he might be a useful winger, but ill fits the current squad(if he was righty he'd have been ideal).

7707e2b2cb12beb2edab95060c9b968d.png

Marched on like a force of nature through the rest of the season, the only slip up in underestimating Frankfurt in the DFB Pokal, they went on to lose the final to Augsburg. We seem to be regularly crossing paths with Spurs now. Eggestein has 105 goals in all comps, in 3 seasons with us, worth every penny in the end.

A second CL win is special, never mind in a row, and again against Man Utd. What's more unusual is that this is now Man Utd's 4th final in a row.

c88f757855bac18d424a6de97a5063bf.jpg

At least this year we can't claim that Bayern's form was a major factor in the league win 29 wins and 91 points ties the all time records.

9dddd325bad53d18a36ec504aed4f73c.png358b3bf0b11510960b00494423dcb70d.png

6cc30085fd9dda60948d8929ae65daf0.png

Highest German club by coefficients now.

6f1a4d244d642ec3d5fddc081a9f0588.png

Only second in rep though, and ninth overall. Still work to be done.

5 hours ago, King Costly said:

Well you made that look very easy!

Yup, looks like our bright start was the key, and we just rode a wave of form through the season. I reckon the early season 5-3 win over Bayern was the key for both clubs season.

Well done on the title win, won it easy in the end, it's nice to see Bayern struggle but it's quite poor from the others who still couldn't topple them with that points total.

On 11/27/2016 at 13:25, BoxToBox said:

Highest German club by coefficients now.

Only second in rep though, and ninth overall. Still work to be done.

Once you have another good season in Europe under your belt, you should shoot up into the top 3 in terms of coefficients, but overhauling some of the big clubs in terms of reputation may be tougher!

On 11/29/2016 at 11:59, Torminator said:

Awesome progress mate! Really enjoyable to follow. Your progress reminds me of your spanish save 2 years ago already?

Nice to see you landed in Munster. It's really close to the place i was born.

Cheers, I've never posted a Spanish save before, so you may be thinking of someone else there, the only save I done two years ago was in Italy, with Roma.

On 11/29/2016 at 12:26, deltablue said:

Fantastic stuff this season. 

On 11/29/2016 at 13:46, WeegieFM said:

Congratulations! Absolutely bossed it this year! 

Cheers!

On 11/29/2016 at 14:05, Maw74 said:

Well done on the title win, won it easy in the end, it's nice to see Bayern struggle but it's quite poor from the others who still couldn't topple them with that points total.

Aye, if Schalke and Dortmund can't pass them at that point total, they may was well resign themselves to where they're at.

7 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

Easy money. Brilliant work.

Cheers, about as routine as it's been so far.

48 minutes ago, facman said:

Once you have another good season in Europe under your belt, you should shoot up into the top 3 in terms of coefficients, but overhauling some of the big clubs in terms of reputation may be tougher!

Yup, the biggest issue I usually have with rep, is I tend to sell my best and most high profile players and replace them with younger less known players, which can hurt reputation. Not planning on that in this save mind, as I don't have replacement options.

5 hours ago, Jupjamie said:

Wow, I miss a few days of updates and you go and smash everything there is to offer! At this point, what more do you want to achieve? I can't believe you've gotten here so quickly :D 

I want to be number one in reputation, it seems the most fitting goal for the club/brand.

Funnily enough, I'd have another season or two cracked, if I wasn't so busy with other stuff too, Pokemon Moon, Watch Dogs 2, trying to get a FM Touch skin just right(almost there), trying to convert that skin to my tablet(absolute disaster), my FMT save(Rotherham, by the by, had to try FMCU's most popular team of 2017), and I still have the last Assassins Creed to open up.... Luckily I'm about done with work for the winter, so should have more time now.

Archived