Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2015/16

ajw10

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's one match. We didn't have Ozil and we had a great deal of fortune in that game. That win was nowhere near as impressive as people think. We didn't create much from open play and City were incredibly wasteful. See Bayern, away 2013 for a match like that.

Not sure we were fortunate in that game but we didn't exactly do much going forwards. I think 4-1-4-1 can definitely work but it doesn't make sense with Walcott as a striker. Though not sure why we would want to move Ozil and try and integrate more stuff to make it work when we are struggling to really get anything working currently

Not sure we were fortunate in that game but we didn't exactly do much going forwards. I think 4-1-4-1 can definitely work but it doesn't make sense with Walcott as a striker. Though not sure why we would want to move Ozil and try and integrate more stuff to make it work when we are struggling to really get anything working currently

We were fortunate in the sense that City were so bad. Set up like we did against an in-form City and we get beat quite badly.

We were fortunate in the sense that City were so bad. Set up like we did against an in-form City and we get beat quite badly.

Meh complete unknown really. I felt we benefited a lot from a lack of Toure as Fernando and Fernandinho can't really pass penetratively

Meh complete unknown really. I felt we benefited a lot from a lack of Toure as Fernando and Fernandinho can't really pass penetratively

Yep and a lack of a fit Aguero. City are the best in the country at breaking down defences as they move the ball so quickly and constantly look to overlap.

Yep and a lack of a fit Aguero. City are the best in the country at breaking down defences as they move the ball so quickly and constantly look to overlap.

Yeah with Toure's distribution from deep being the key. They're really good to watch in such a situation

Not sure they're capable of switching play well enough to be effective. Both pretty good at driving the ball to the midfield along the ground but overall not particularly amazing on the ball. However not sure they can do much more than those vertical passes.

It's part of the appeal of Chambers longer term

Koscielny is good at bringing the ball out when we're struggling to pass out from the back.

Indeed but still wouldn't call him particularly amazing on the ball. Passes lack variety and just lacks general skill on the ball. He is above average but not as good as we would ideally want if you want to build a truly elite side

Couldn't care less about a North London derby in a winnable competition?
So you weren't bothered by the defeats to Chelsea and Birmingham? Weren't bothered by Bradford?

Fully agree. Beating Spurs is important to me, regardless of the bigger picture.

As for the league cup - Birmingham and Bradford are 2 of my very worst moments as a fan. I always enjoy success in any competition. Those 9 years are not something I will forget.

So you weren't bothered by the defeats to Chelsea and Birmingham? Weren't bothered by Bradford?

That's two different things though. I care that we lost the games because they were big in different ways but I don't really care if we get knocked out by a Southampton or whoever early on. It just doesn't really add anything. It's a trophy which not many of the top teams take seriously and it generally just lacks prestige

That's two different things though. I care that we lost the games because they were big in different ways but I don't really care if we get knocked out by a Southampton or whoever early on. It just doesn't really add anything. It's a trophy which not many of the top teams take seriously and it generally just lacks prestige

You say that but over the last ten years the winners have been -

2015 - Chelsea

2014 - Manchester City

2013 - Swansea

2012 - Liverpool

2011 - Birmingham

2010 - Manchester United

2009 - Manchester United

2008 - Tottenham

2007 - Chelsea

2006 - Manchester United

2005 - Chelsea

In 08 Spurs beat Chelsea in the final, in 13 and 11 we took the competition seriously and happened to bottle it on both occasions.

You say that but over the last ten years the winners have been -

2015 - Chelsea

2014 - Manchester City

2013 - Swansea

2012 - Liverpool

2011 - Birmingham

2010 - Manchester United

2009 - Manchester United

2008 - Tottenham

2007 - Chelsea

2006 - Manchester United

2005 - Chelsea

In 08 Spurs beat Chelsea in the final, in 13 and 11 we took the competition seriously and happened to bottle it on both occasions.

Doesn't change that they don't take it that seriously. They're not bothered if they go out early. It's just not close to a priority

The PL is a winnable competition' date=' would be insane to compromise our chances of three points by risking our best players less than 72 days beforehand.[/quote']

It's literally down the road, so there is no travel to factor in. Plus it's our biggest rivals and we've lost two on the bounce. Saturday doesn't matter, only tomorrow's night game does.

Winnable if you don't collapse against big teams on a regular basis.

Winnable even if you do that in a undramatic way. Away games to them don't really matter if you have a good home record against them. Don't even have to break even on it or have a positive record just can't be disastrous

I think tomorrow night is quite important, mainly because of the momentum and confidence that's lacking right now. It needs a boost, and a win at Spurs would do just that. I would imagine if Sanchez scored tomorrow he'd look a more confident and effective player against Leicester. Same for Ramsey etc too. It's early season, so players shouldn't be fatigued. We have a squad missing several key players, so too much rotation in central midfield would amount to suicide. Spurs are missing 4 in midfield, so it's a good chance to try and control the game.

Archived