Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2015/16

ajw10

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah Ozil wasn't the problem today. The issues are deeper - but a lot of you ignored me when I said so in the summer.

But that's because you claim Coquelin is a problem - who is generally playing fairly well and had a meteoric rise last season. So of course we didn't listen to a word you said.

We're not blind to our problems. But going into the season we should have made a better start with what we have.

Today really isn't the day to want to give up over us - it was an away defeat to Chelsea with a man down for over half the game. The players didn't capitulate. We even had half chances and openings that you never get out of Mourinho normally. Costa is an unbelievable ******, but Gabriel was stupid.

I don't blame Wenger for keeping Cazorla on - who did you want left in centre mid? Coquelin off, so Ramsey and Ozil? Not going to work - we needed directness on flanks, so Ozil had to be sacrificed. Which meant Cazorla was needed to act as playmaker in the middle. Wenger got his decisions right and you can't legislate for Dean and Gabriel's idiocy.

But that's because you claim Coquelin is a problem - who is generally playing fairly well and had a meteoric rise last season. So of course we didn't listen to a word you said.

We're not blind to our problems. But going into the season we should have made a better start with what we have.

Today really isn't the day to want to give up over us - it was an away defeat to Chelsea with a man down for over half the game. The players didn't capitulate. We even had half chances and openings that you never get out of Mourinho normally. Costa is an unbelievable ******, but Gabriel was stupid.

I don't blame Wenger for keeping Cazorla on - who did you want left in centre mid? Coquelin off, so Ramsey and Ozil? Not going to work - we needed directness on flanks, so Ozil had to be sacrificed. Which meant Cazorla was needed to act as playmaker in the middle. Wenger got his decisions right and you can't legislate for Dean and Gabriel's idiocy.

Well, you bring on Arteta for Cazorla. Ramsey trusts Arteta and they have a proven partnership. Cazorla and Ramsey is a bad partnership plus Cazorla just isn't good enough to play in CM for a side with title aspirations.

Well, you bring on Arteta for Cazorla. Ramsey trusts Arteta and they have a proven partnership. Cazorla and Ramsey is a bad partnership plus Cazorla just isn't good enough to play in CM for a side with title aspirations.

Arteta who hasn't completed 90 minutes in about 10 months and is less creative than Cazorla...

Remembering we were chasing the game, at Chelsea, a man down.

And you wonder why you got ignored in the summer?

Cazorla only looks good when the opposition is weak. No coincidence he was good vs City flanked by 2 good ball-winners.

That's true with most of our attackers though. It's not like Cazorla is the only one who struggle in the big games.

I was actually saying to my mate it didn't even really feel like we had 10 men literally seconds before Cazorla got himself sent off. I think we definitely could have nicked a draw at ten men.

Idk about getting a draw once we're 1-0 down because even with 11 men, we were toothless going forward.

If we didn't concede from a set piece, to Chelsea, again,then yeah, I can see us keeping a cleansheet with 10 men, and getting the draw.

Arteta who hasn't completed 90 minutes in about 10 months and is less creative than Cazorla...

Remembering we were chasing the game, at Chelsea, a man down.

And you wonder why you got ignored in the summer?

Yeah we are chasing a game, so when you move Ramsey into the middle you play him with a player that he trusts and who isn't on a yellow card. Playing Ramsey with Cazorla means you lose a bit of what makes Ramsey so good.

Why is the 90 mins part important?

Actually we probably could of and Chelsea imo didn't play as well as I thought they would.

Because that is how Mourinho sets up. He was always going to play cautious and not go gung-ho. PSG was a perfect example but it backfired. Bar Sanchez chance you did not threaten us when you went down to 10.

We could have definitely managed a draw when down to 10. Chelsea suddenly went off the boil. Generally Chelsea weren't that good yesterday. Till the sending off the Pedro chance apart failed to create much of note after the 10 men still struggled a bit

Yeah we are chasing a game, so when you move Ramsey into the middle you play him with a player that he trusts and who isn't on a yellow card. Playing Ramsey with Cazorla means you lose a bit of what makes Ramsey so good.

Why is the 90 mins part important?

Because he has barely played and you expect him to find some form away to Chelsea? Given that he was mediocre in Zagreb too, your evidence that Arteta would have made a difference is baffling. They played together last season for the first few months - have you forgotten our poor form then? In particular Ramsey's? I doubt you would find a single fan who thinks Arteta would have offered us anything better than Cazorla. Add into the mix that if you withdraw Cazorla, you keep either Alexis or Ozil on as we only had 2 subs remaining. A struggling Alexis, or Ozil whose lack of directness didn't suit the situation?

I don't want Arteta anywhere near our team. Should have gone 2 years ago.

He was pretty good two years ago. Coquelin is limited and whilst he wasn't bad on the ball yesterday defensively he wasn't good. He is too easily drawn out of position by his need to make tackles. A team with intelligent attacking midfielders won't have much difficulty in exploiting him

Arteta at least allows us to play Ramsey in the middle (though yesterday he was dreadful losing the ball way too much). Also gives us better balance. Arteta struggles in space but then so do a lot of DMs for top teams. Alonso can barely move these days. Carrick isn't particularly mobile nor Busquets. Whilst Arteta doesn't position himself as well as some of these players if he has recovered some mobility after his very serious long term injury which affected him for a while he is the better option

Because he has barely played and you expect him to find some form away to Chelsea? Given that he was mediocre in Zagreb too, your evidence that Arteta would have made a difference is baffling. They played together last season for the first few months - have you forgotten our poor form then? In particular Ramsey's? I doubt you would find a single fan who thinks Arteta would have offered us anything better than Cazorla. Add into the mix that if you withdraw Cazorla, you keep either Alexis or Ozil on as we only had 2 subs remaining. A struggling Alexis, or Ozil whose lack of directness didn't suit the situation?

I am going to jump in there before Ajw does they didnt play together last season. We played a 4-1-4-1 with Arteta as the DM. The team was struggling early on last season not fair to really use that as evidence against that partnership which wasn't even being used

Wondering what we'll see happen in midweek against Spurs. I fully expect Ospina, Gibbs and Debuchy to play, probably Koscielny and Chambers at the back, as I think he will want to give Chambers game time, but a pairing with Mertesacker doesn't work too well, and obviously Gabriel unavailable. Keeping an experienced partner for him will be a good idea. Thought he looked very sharp against Chelsea, especially in trying circumstances.

I reckon with Coquelin's knock he won't be risked. So Arteta and Ramsey deeper. I expect Chamberlain to play, Ozil, Alexis and Walcott or Giroud. We don't have many options right now, and with 2 consecutive defeats, and it's a rivals game, I really think we'll see a strong side. Last time we played Spurs in this competition Wenger rotated, but kept a strong side.

on putting things right at Tottenham…

Yes, we try but it’s the League Cup. We play on Wednesday, Saturday, Wednesday and we have to see how we recover and how we go from there.

This doesn't fill me with much hope.

I can see us going

Ospina, Debuchy, Chambers, Koscielny, Gibbs, Arteta, Ramsey, Chamberlain, Ozil, Iwobi, Giroud. But then Wenger might do something stupid and line up

Ospina, Debuchy, Chambers, Koscielny, Gibbs, Arteta, Flamini, Chamberlain, Iwobi, Campbell, Giroud.

I think he'll keep Flamini and Campbell on the bench, and recognise the importance of momentum. It's a tough slog going wednesday - saturday etc without much rotation because of injuries. At least Cazorla will be fresh for the weekend!

If Coquelin is injured does Cazorla actually get into our starting eleven?

He is in our starting XI regardless. For the midweek, both will be missing, so it's a chance for Ox to play.

For the weekend, we'll probably see Arteta.

Archived