Finally snapped

There are about 5 regular GQ users (aside from SI employees, and I'm not counting people like wwfan , Ranjith and Amoroq who I associate with other boards) who consitantly speak sense IMO. Ched is one. All the others have posted in this thread.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thing about amateurs and semi pro's etc makes me laugh, it's not as if all of the members with higher post counts get on like a house on fire and always agree. IIRC i've had disagreements with GillsMan and Nepenthez, but they were (and hopefully I was) mature enough to take it in their stride and have a debate about it/move on, instead of turning it into a petty squabble session. I consider glamdring and chopper99 two of the best contributors on here, but i've had constructive disagreements with them about PA etc.

There's no need to make it so childish and some users seem desparate to do so.

Yeah, and in any case, Ched's about 40 posts away from becoming semi pro...

And though we don't always agree, most people who have reached semi pro are likely to be people who get on with other users and like the game, aren't they? Though I'm definately not saying it's a given that any user will have exactly the same opinions as another.

Whys it all the 'Part-timers' who defend the game to the death that think your crazy...

Humm...

I agree with you though...It's more cost effective than throwing something into your HD TV - (Which Ive seen people do...)

I'm not defending the game blindly. It's just that a sense of perspective helps. I tend not to get that angry, because I have other things in my life which are far more important than how my team is doing in FM. If I don't get angry about the fact that some silly wanky city boys have fudged up the housing market, devaluing the house I own, then I can't imagine getting so angry at FM that I'd snap the CD.

I've never been one to purposely smash stuff (though I did once break a handcontroller when I smashed it down after losing a race at the last second in GTA San Andreas, though there was no intention to break it).

I just have a different set of priorities in my life maybe?

I think I could probably count on 2 hands the amount of people who add anything of actual substance on the forums these days (there are a large number of users who post interesting questions as well), the current climate is pushing me ever closer to just not bothering to come on here at all. I used to like to add to a majority of the threads here, but now I find myself avoiding most of them ebcause I can can see exactly where they are headed.

That'd be a shame Nomis, you're one of a number of users that I really rate (a few others have posted on here as well, and even Philly is growing on me). Even if my opinion differs from someone, I appreciate anyone's ability to put together a coherent argument and argue their point. Those posters are falling by the wayside sadly.

Edit: And I posted this before I read your reference to me. Thanks, yeah, again, no problems with different opinions, but I hate people just saying "fanboy" or "it's your tactics" - much prefer constructive debate! :thup:

That'd be a shame Nomis, you're one of a number of users that I really rate (a few others have posted on here as well, and even Philly is growing on me). Even if my opinion differs from someone, I appreciate anyone's ability to put together a coherent argument and argue their point. Those posters are falling by the wayside sadly.

and unfortunately with the release of FM09 approaching, and the inevitable influx of morons that will follow, the numbers of those posters may continue to fall.

Lets hope SI can get some dedicated GQ mods before then.

and unfortunately with the release of FM09 approaching, and the inevitable influx of morons that will follow, the numbers of those posters may continue to fall.

Lets hope SI can get some dedicated GQ mods before then.

Good point, and you do find the quality of posts dropping round about the launch of a new FM.

Cheers GillsMan. The "it's your tactics" thing has worn a bit thin now and I see why people get annoyed about it, but sometimes I think it's actually a bit of an "in joke" from the person using it, that is lost on the recipient. Perhaps i'm giving people a bit too much benefit of the doubt though.

I have to say that I have never broken a disk ever because of frustration because that would mean I would have to open the disk drive first! Im kidding but seriously how can you be THAT addicted to a game.

Also, Im reasonably new to the forum and even though none of my posts have been drivel, I wouldn't be so disrepectful and sterotypical of people who have given so many helpful posts and then accuse them of fanboys when to be fair most of us are sort-of fanboys as we play the game and discuss it on a forum. Just watch what you say and to whom you say it

Also, enjoying the beta Ched?

I have to say that I have never broken a disk ever because of frustration because that would mean I would have to open the disk drive first! Im kidding but seriously how can you be THAT addicted to a game.

Also, Im reasonably new to the forum and even though none of my posts have been drivel, I wouldn't be so disrepectful and sterotypical of people who have given so many helpful posts and then accuse them of fanboys when to be fair most of us are sort-of fanboys as we play the game and discuss it on a forum. Just watch what you say and to whom you say it

Also, enjoying the beta Ched?

Mature post. :thup:

Mature post. :thup:

cheers, it does annoy me when people think they can walk into (in my opinion) a fantastic online community and then say disrespectful things to others. Everybody is allowed an opinion and all opinions should be treated equally aslong as they are not disrespectful, are well thoght out, and not a load of bias rubbish!

to get back on topic , i have never snapped a cd but have broken 2 or 3 xbox lvie headsets whilst playing pro evo not the current one the one before as i dont thnik my pads could take that lag fest lol

My xbox headsets break on there own. It was frustrating when I hadn't been killed in a game of Cod and there was 8 seconds left and i got killed by a stray grenade. When that happened I went and had the toilet comeback and was calm. FM is frustrating but when something goes bad in a game e.g. concede a goal; I just look over the goal and change my tactics accordingly.

Yeah, and in any case, Ched's about 40 posts away from becoming semi pro...

And though we don't always agree, most people who have reached semi pro are likely to be people who get on with other users and like the game, aren't they? Though I'm definately not saying it's a given that any user will have exactly the same opinions as another.

Out of interest and to avoid a post bitching, how many posts are needed to become the one up from semi-pro? And what is it? Youth team?

Yep, its a game, have you ever been to watch birmingham play? Now that is frustration.

You mean that team 2nd in the league? Try being a Wednesday fan! 2-0 against Watford and three days later a 6-0 defeat! Also having a total of 4 players fit, everytime a player hits form he gets a serious injury and a bunch of idiots running the club - that is frustration, my friend :(

/rant

You mean that team 2nd in the league? Try being a Wednesday fan! 2-0 against Watford and three days later a 6-0 defeat! Also having a total of 4 players fit, everytime a player hits form he gets a serious injury and a bunch of idiots running the club - that is frustration, my friend :(

/rant

Yes but have you seen us play, against doncaster we were very poor. We have been poor in all our games exept bristol and Barnsley. We also had a clock unveiled at blues as a thing to remember jeff hall. It was 1M X 1M, talk about cheap. but all this is alot more frustrating than fm

/rant

Why not just switch to Sheffield United? They're bound to get promoted eventually. ;)

Yeah he said it in an interview, and that he was so obssessed with the game, he started thinking of people in terms of FM-style attributes (I think he may have been joking there... or not?).

lol

Sadly I doubt he was joking... Ya think that's what finally drove him around the bend?

Ah well, time to call the men in white coats for for the Robster. :p

But not snapping a CD because you lost a game does.

I snapped my CD because it crashed and corrupted my harddrive, also there was plenty of hateful comments, such as pathetic and loser.

I threw a disc at the wall because I was angry though, I wouldn't say this was a lack of maturity more an inability to control my anger (this is a problem for people regardless of age). I would say that calling people pathetic for having an anger management problem was immature though :p

I snapped my CD because it crashed and corrupted my harddrive, also there was plenty of hateful comments, such as pathetic and loser.

I must admit, I could understand your frustration if your CD crashed and corrupted your harddrive, and to be honest I'd probably do likewise, because my whole life is on my computer (though I have to say I doubt very much that a program crashing would corrupt your harddrive). However, the "pathetic" comment was aimed at the OP, and while I admit that was a tad harsh and I apologise for offending him, it is quite OTT to snap a CD just because you lose some games, or you don't like the game anymore.

And fwiw you'd have to try very hard to snap a CD by throwing it at a wall.

Damn you Gillsman!!!

I threw a disc at the wall because I was angry though, I woulnd't say this was a lack of maturity more an inability to control my anger (this is a problem for people regardless of age).

I used to have this problem of not controlling my anger when I was younger but i've mellowed out with age. I did have several holes in my door and walls from when I was younger :(

1) I woulnd't say this was a lack of maturity more an inability to control my anger (this is a problem for people regardless of age).

2) I would say that calling people pathetic for having an anger management problem was immature though :p

1) No, the two are quite intrinsically linked - think of a toddler who throws a tantrum - it's quite similar.

2) Fair point, almost. Yeah, there was no need for me to label it as "pathetic". "OTT" would have been a more apt description. Point taken. Not sure how that makes me immature though, but meh, I'm not arsed about it.

I must admit, I could understand your frustration if your CD crashed and corrupted your harddrive, and to be honest I'd probably do likewise, because my whole life is on my computer (though I have to say I doubt very much that a program crashing would corrupt your harddrive). However, the "pathetic" comment was aimed at the OP, and while I admit that was a tad harsh and I apologise for offending him, it is quite OTT to snap a CD just because you lose some games, or you don't like the game anymore.

And fwiw you'd have to try very hard to snap a CD by throwing it at a wall.

Depending on what sort of issue the computer has it freezing and having to hard reset it can easily corrupt a harddrive. I don't blame FM (i did at the time) because that computer had become very unstable.

Also when I said I threw a disc against the wall I was talking about a different game which in fact did not break.

Depending on what sort of issue the computer has it freezing and having to hard reset it can easily corrupt a harddrive. I don't blame FM (i did at the time) because that computer had become very unstable.

Also when I said I threw a disc against the wall I was talking about a different game which in fact did not break.

Ah, I see. Fair enough.

Deliberately breaking things such as a disc or piece of PC equipment due to FM occurances is possibly the saddest thing possible, you seriously need to get a grip if you truely did punch your monitor until it went black etc. Of course some of the claims that have been made are utterly fictional but i'm sure there are some people who have little to no self-control and thus end up forking out for a new monitor and thus look like a complete bellend.

You get everything you deserve.

10 years of CM/FM frustration has finally come out and I've snapped my FM08 CD. All the things that have been wrong with every game have come together and tipped me over the edge. There wasn't really a defining point, I was just playing the game and thinking "I don't care anymore".

The games have brought me more good memories than bad, and this is not me "having a go" at the game. I just wanted to say that I've finally had the conviction to do what I'm sure most FM players worldwide have always been tempted to.

Has anyone else ever snapped one of their FM CD's?

no but i have punched my old compter and felt angry.but i did smash my phone 2 years ago as it took pictures that made you look like some monster.

Archived