More match engine footage (exclusive)

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Football management games other than FM and CM have had 3D match engines for over 10 years.

Doesn't quite answer my question now, does it?

:p

Either Football Manager has jumped the shark or it's Championship Manager. I doubt that both of them are ready to implement such a step forward. I fear that it's a case of Keeping up with the Joneses, I just hope it's Championship Manager trying to keep up with Football Manager.

I've been wrong before.

Doesn't quite answer my question now, does it?

:p

Either Football Manager has jumped the shark or it's Championship Manager. I doubt that both of them are ready to implement such a step forward. I fear that it's a case of Keeping up with the Joneses, I just hope it's Championship Manager trying to keep up with Football Manager.

I've been wrong before.

Well, haven't SI been moving towards this for three years?

Also, I don't see why it can't just be coincidence.

Well, haven't SI been moving towards this for three years?

Also, I don't see why it can't just be coincidence.

Well, actually PaulC said that they've been testing the 3D for one year. Not three.

If you want to pick an arbitrary number then fine... I'll go with... 6 years. :p

I don't think it's coincidence. I just think one of the group heard about the other releasing a 3D version, which directly resulted in the other rushing out their own version of 3D. I don't know if you've seen the Championship Manager version but it looks better and more advanced than the FM equivalent. Kinda similar, but not.

Well, actually PaulC said that they've been testing the 3D for one year. Not three.

Miles said three.

I'm not saying they have been 'testing' for three years but they have been working towards 3D for three years, at least that is what Miles said.

Miles said three.

I'm not saying they have been 'testing' for three years but they have been working towards 3D for three years, at least that is what Miles said.

Indeed they've been working towards 3D for three years, but current 3D engine has been in development for about a year. The post from PaulC

Not that it makes much difference; since they didn't have to completely re-do the match engine like when 2D was first introduced, I'm sure there won't be too many problems.

Miles said three.

Ahh. Then I agree, It was quoted as 3 years.

But one for the testing. I'm not entirely sure if one year is rushing it or not... Probably is.

Ahh. Then I agree, It was quoted as 3 years.

But one for the testing. I'm not entirely sure if one year is rushing it or not... Probably is.

I'm not sure. The FML engine is very good, which is the same engine used in 09, so I'm feeling pretty positive for it.

My only worry with it is that it may not be great animation quality, or indeed a great quantity.

I'm not sure. The FML engine is very good, which is the same engine used in 09, so I'm feeling pretty positive for it.

My only worry with it is that it may not be great animation quality, or indeed a great quantity.

I don't know. To be honest I'm not exactly jumping for joy, or rather, jumping through hoops like some of the other FM'ers here.

This is our first foray into 3D match engines (for FM, obviously) so I'm definitely expecting teething problems. I mean, just look at CM4 with its 2D engine, now look at the 3D engine. The standard is worlds apart. I'm not saying the 2D match engine is perfect, it's definitely not perfect, but it's miles ahead of the CM4 brand.

This may just be the first version of CM(before FM)/FM that I skip.

It's the same engine. The only issue will be how the graphical translation handles it. If it does it well, then great. Less well, then we always have the 2d, which is far, far better than it has ever been before, to fall back on. I'd buy 09 just for the better ME, notwithstanding the announced improvements in long-term playability.

ah yes davids lol in my defence i got the right position, the right nationality and the right generation lol you all got what i meant anyway :p

and i know what you mean about getting the play right first and I totally agree with you, I would much rather see realistic gameplay than perfect faces and fifa-manager style playing... but that said as someone else pointed out it all goes towards making the game realistic... once again i agree with priorities i just hope to see that once the basics are complete they don't leave out the trimmings :)

ah yes davids lol in my defence i got the right position, the right nationality and the right generation lol you all got what i meant anyway :p

and i know what you mean about getting the play right first and I totally agree with you, I would much rather see realistic gameplay than perfect faces and fifa-manager style playing... but that said as someone else pointed out it all goes towards making the game realistic... once again i agree with priorities i just hope to see that once the basics are complete they don't leave out the trimmings :)

completely agree, except i haven't been able to put it quite so well. if the 3D's rubbish (i'm not saying it will be) we can turn it off, but if the gameplay isn't realistic then the game'll be ruined

I'll add my name to the congratulations on the 3-d engine. FM just keeps breaking the boundaries, i wonder what the Colliers must think of their creation now?!

They probably wish people would spell their name right! :-)

I'm going out of my mind with excitement/impatience now for FM09.

All I have is a 30 second clip to salivate over...

I do hope, what with the 3D ME, that '09 isn't TOO resource-heavy or my laptop may not cope.

Imagine knowing there is a 3D match engine in your game, yet you can't use it because your computer can't display it....

I do hope, what with the 3D ME, that '09 isn't TOO resource-heavy or my laptop may not cope.

Imagine knowing there is a 3D match engine in your game, yet you can't use it because your computer can't display it....

That is what im worried of. the 3d looks beautiful tho.

wooo hoooo finally a decent 3d engine. only been waiting since 1988, first thought about it, as i'm sure millions of others did, whilst playing some dodgy (but great at the time) world soccer manager game on the amstrad cpc464 :) good times.

Only one month to go until November and probably one month until we get our hands on a demo and I can't wait. I'm usually a patient fella but I'm looking forward to FM09 10x more than any other game this year, I'll be having dreams of FM at this rate, it's ridiculous

Only one month to go until November and probably one month until we get our hands on a demo and I can't wait. I'm usually a patient fella but I'm looking forward to FM09 10x more than any other game this year, I'll be having dreams of FM at this rate, it's ridiculous

It's weird because when I score a great goal, which is rarely I think how great it'd look in 3D and then day dream. Then something happens and i missed it and i think "I want that time bar"

Its all a simple case of testing some games that are currently out there, for example FIFA 2008 or PES 2008 and if your PC runs these fairly well and assuming you didn't have too much trouble running FM2008 then FM2009 3D and all should be perfectly playable on your PC. ;)

2D or 3D - Lets just hope that the game flows more realistically this time, particularly in terms of refereeing decisions - the ref seemingly unaware he can play advantage is incredibly frustrating as well as giving offside when a long shot is taken and a player is not interfering with play. Plus the number of times a supposedly "world-class" player cannot pass in a straight line down the touchline, etc needed to be looked at.

Despite buying it a week later after release I was not very happy with 08 (7.0.2 was better for me) and considering to skip 09 but after hearing major touches on match engine and 3D rendering engine in addition with new transfer code and board confidence I probably will be buying the box latest for the christmas holiday. I havent heard much on the training section but I hope they will also do some changes there so it will be more responsive and investment on training will show more consistent results.

I really appreciate the brave effort of SI on 3D Graphics Engine. It may suffer at first but if it does not have negative impact on the actual match engine I believe most of us can live with small graphical issues on 09 and eventually 10 will already grow on that side as well. I guess after couple of years we will be able to see facial textures on the 3D engine :)

"I really appreciate the brave effort of SI on 3D Graphics Engine. It may suffer at first but if it does not have negative impact on the actual match engine I believe most of us can live with small graphical issues on 09 and eventually 10 will already grow on that side as well."

It can't have a negative impact on the ME; at worst it will look clumsy, in which case all we need to is revert to the 2D screen (it's the same ME) and wait for the patch to tidy things up - or until FM10 as a worst-case scenario.

In other words, if we aren't satisfied with the quality of the 3D screen, just continue with 2D - nothing is lost!

Is anyone else concerned that this close to the release there is virtually no footage of the 3d engine? I reckon they having some serious issues with it. They've made public several quite detailed videos listing the new game features yet concerning the 3d engine we just have a poor quality 30 second clip? Makes no sense!

Is anyone else concerned that this close to the release there is virtually no footage of the 3d engine? I reckon they having some serious issues with it. They've made public several quite detailed videos listing the new game features yet concerning the 3d engine we just have a poor quality 30 second clip? Makes no sense!

They have shown other features because they don't move. A 3D engine needs to be finished for them to show it. If they started advertising an unfinished Engine then people may not look at the game again. Its easy for them to show the confidence early even if it doesn't work because they are not showing it "in action"

Once the engine is finished I expect more elaborated releases of information about it!

Hope I made sense!

Once the engine is finished I expect more elaborated releases of information about it!

Hope I made sense!

No it doesnt make sense and that's my point! The game will be released shortly and if the engine aint right now its not going to be. I've beta tested the last couple of games and around mid October the game goes gold...

No it doesnt make sense and that's my point! The game will be released shortly and if the engine aint right now its not going to be. I've beta tested the last couple of games and around mid October the game goes gold...

I beleive they are finishing animations, never before has an engine been 3D and the release date is a tad later this year

I'm fully aware of the fact its never had a 3D match engine before, like i said i beta tested the last 2 versions of the game.

Release date is less than a month away and i'm sure you are also aware that the game will go gold before the release date in order for stock to be distributed before the release.

My original point is therefore still valid. How come all we have thus far is a crap quality 30 sec clip of this new engine which must be one of the games major selling points!

My original point is therefore still valid. How come all we have thus far is a crap quality 30 sec clip of this new engine which must be one of the games major selling points!

I must admit that I would also like to see some new (and higher quality) match engine videos soon!

Archived