Records that can broken/equalled at this World Cup

Rob1981

So we all know Klose needs 1 goal to equal Ronaldo's all-time World Cup tally of 15, needs 2 to hold the record outright.

Buffon becoms the third man named in squads at 5 World Cups, after Matthaus (1982-98) and Mexican keeper Antonio Carbajal (1950-66). Although he didn't play in France 98 so won't have the chance to actually play in 5 tournaments like those two did.

Must be loads of others?

He'll be 40 ffs. Surely there is someone else coming through.

Peter Shilton played ( and played extremely well ) for England in Italia 90 at the age of 41, wouldnt be unfeasible for gigi to do the same

Posted this somewhere else, but Colombia's surviving GK from USA 94 / France 98 Farid Mondragón has become the first player to be named in World Cup squads 20 years apart.

That would be 6 WCs to Matthaus/Buffon/Carbajal's 5, except Colombia haven't qualified every time.

• 4 weeks later...

Teams that have beaten their previous best result:

Bosnia (Group Stage)

Greece (Second Round)

Algeria (Second Round)

Colombia (at least QF)

Costa Rica (at least QF)

And still could:

Belgium (if they reach the final)

Holland (if they win it)

Kevin De Bruyne created 10 chances against the USA, the most for a player in a World Cup match since 1982 according to OptaJoe

Tim Howard made the most saves in a World Cup game (well since records started in 66) 15 in the same game

I think we're on 6 OGs for the tournament, equaling a record? That could be beaten then

Clarified this myself :lol:

The record is indeed 6, made at the 1998 WC.

Currently, there has been 5 (Marcelo, Kolasinac, Valladares, Boye, Yobo). However, David Luiz was attributed a goal in the 1-1 with Chile which many, including myself, would attribute to Jara of Chile instead, meaning the record would be tied at 6. But apparently it is officially Luiz's goal so the record is yet to be equalled.

Tim Howard made the most saves in a World Cup game (well since records started in 66) 15 in the same game

All credit to him, amazing performance. Not very good for my heart or blood pressure though.

Archived