FM14 TACTIC - "THE FULCRUM" - Back to Back Promotions + Cup Win

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Testing this with Farnborough. After 10 games it's given me 1 win and 5 draws.

In every match though I've had more shots that the oppo and most possession in most of the games. Problem is a combo of shocking defending and finishing. Despite always in double figures for shots, only 1 or 2 end up on target. My squad is 5 stars in every position.

I'll give it a bit more time as squad still not fully familiar with tactic.

There's people already complaining about this on the main forum, you seem to need twice as many chances as the ai teams to score the same number of goals.

It's possible that 'counter attacking' creates better chances, and as we are dominating this is whats happening.

I'm still going well and have dished out some hammerings.

It's not as if they are bad players though. I'd be more worried if I wasn't dominating possession and chances but I am in pretty much every match.

Now gone 8 league matches without a win and dumped out of the cup by lower league Lewes at home(see below). This is a pretty typical match at the mo. To not get one clear cut chance is worrying:

ew8h.jpg

With Blackburn I've won 5 out 5 in the league and sit pretty at the top. Leon best has 5 goals as the 'False 9' and Jordan Rhodes has 3 goals as the poacher.

I lost to Brighton away 2-0 in the league cup despite being the better team. I did play this with my 2nd XI though. Great tactic so far! I realise it's early days and I shall keep you posted of the progress.

Ok, i've got a couple of hours and a few ideas.

25 shots and 0 zero clear cut chances is not right, i've had similar experiences but not as extreme and i've still been scoring lots of goals so its a bit weird.

ok, been through my last 10 matches. Below is score, Chances/Clear cut chances.

Stockport 0 - 3 Doncaster

8/0 15/4

Stockport 8 - 1 Gillingham

21/6 6/0

Stockport 4 - 1 Sheff Wed

23/2 6/3

Stockport 2 - 1 Portsmouth

28/5 6/0

Stockport 0 - 3 Rotheram

14/0 18/3

Stockport 2 - 0 Torquay

16/2 3/0

Stockport 1 - 1 Chesterfield

25/0 6/0

Stockport 1 - 1 Sunderland

12/0 12/1

Stockport 4 - 0 Brentford

28/2 5/0

Stockport 3 - 1 Leyton Orient

28/2 4/1

So over 10 games

Goals scored

Me 25

Opposition 12

Chances Created

Me 203

Opposition 81

Clear Cut Chances

Me 19

Opposition 12

Ratio clear cut chances/chances

Me 1 in 11

Opposition 1 in 7

(roughly)

We're creating a lot more chances than the opposition, we are creating a lot more clear cut chances than the opposition, their ration off ccc/chance is much better.

However we have scored more than twice as many goals.

We have scored 25 goals from 19 clear cut chances..... we wont have scored from all of our CCC so we must be scoring a decent amount from none CCC.

Conclusion.

We have dominant tactic which is vunerable to our strikers having an 'off' day as we are not putting it 'on a plate' that often.

If we can find away to create even a few more CCC we turn a good tactic into an outstanding tactic.

Or you could argue that the tactic is vunerable to our opponents creating CCC, but they only had 12 CCC in 10 games which doesn't strike me as many.

***Note, I build my teams from the front. My strikers are excellent, my centre backs are ****-poor.*** (i didnt have enough cash for everyone to be excellent!)

Are you suffering most off crosses and near post corners? Its a chronic problem.

i've conceded 5 goals from corners so far this season (28 games), the ones I can remember were near post.

I'm sure i've conceded from crosses but not enough for it to be an obvious problem. i've conceded from direct free kicks and through the middle as well.

This tactic was the bomb in beta, since the update its no good, alot of chances seemed to come from out wide, since update wide play has been toned down.

As ever, i've got someone telling me crosses to near post are a chronic problem and someone telling me wide play is no longer effective........

This tactic showed some promise in the beta/demo but it seems to have lost all effect with the full version. I'm conceding 3+ goals per game and I'm considered one of the better teams in the league.

That's certainly not my experience, first season in League 1 motoring towards the Championship, 13 game unbeaten run including 10 wins. Only 3 games lost all season, 2nd best defence in the division, highest scorer's.

s3ka.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

kklf.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Interested in how other people are getting on.

Pehaps the match engine is just massively influenced by form/morale and I'm just on a roll?

Having a good experience with this tactic with Derby. Do you put any of your players on individual role training such as "Poacher" or "False Nine" or would this mess with the current training?

I try and do a lot of player training mainly as recommended by my A.M. But the players tend to moan about doing too much work in which case I knock it down to 'light'.

Thanks for the feedback, I was beginning to think it was just me having success!

Looks like you just need to give it time to get on a roll.

Yeah, just lost the next game against Basel 3-2 but really that was a tough one anyway.

My only issue is getting my strikers scoring consistently, but i reckon thats my players and not the tactics! :)

Yeah, just lost the next game against Basel 3-2 but really that was a tough one anyway.

My only issue is getting my strikers scoring consistently, but i reckon thats my players and not the tactics! :)

I'm still looking at creating more clear cut chances.

anyone help me? ive d/l and made a new folder for tactics in my docs etc but when I go to install it on my tactics screen theres no "archived tactics" showing just the default ones any idea what im doing wrong?

mr rosler can you help me with this?? fc united ready and raring to go in skrill north!!!

mr rosler can you help me with this?? fc united ready and raring to go in skrill north!!!

Go to C:\Users\*******\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2014

On my pc there is two Sports Interactive Folders, make sure you go to the correct one, you usually don't have to make a tactics folder.

If you do, its the Sports interactive folder that has the folders: Games/ Crash Dumps/Matches/ Sounds in.

Go to C:\Users\*******\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2014

On my pc there is two Sports Interactive Folders, make sure you go to the correct one, you usually don't have to make a tactics folder.

If you do, its the Sports interactive folder that has the folders: Games/ Crash Dumps/Matches/ Sounds in.

brilliant that's cracked it thanks pal two folders?? why no wonder I was confused!!

can crack on with red rebels now.

brilliant that's cracked it thanks pal two folders?? why no wonder I was confused!!

can crack on with red rebels now.

I know, daft isnt it. But i think one is for not edit stuff or some jazz. At least it's sorted now.

just quickly my 2 pennys worth...been trying this tactic with what i reckon is a good newcastle side, tactic familiarity is at 3/4s and 12 games into the season ive had 2 wins, 5 draws and 4 losses, the last 2 being against palace and stoke. also been knocked out of the cap cup....

just feedback

As with any tactic post 2012 you have to have the right player not only for the positions but also for the style of player required. If youve got a player who is one star for false 9 playing at that position it really isnt going to work out. So although this tactic works great from the off if you have the right players in your squad, ıf you dont then you are either going to have to use another tactic or have a clean out.

Well, that's me out of League 1 and into the Championship at the first time of asking, finished 2nd to Sheff Utd comfortably clear of 3rd place.

The first 19 games were under the old match engine, the remaining 27 were with the current Match Engine.

Media prediction was 17th, so if you get everything else right (signing the right players, team talks, discipline, teams selection etc) you can still perform well above expectations.

You just have to work a little bit harder.

I have been testing adding the 'pass into space' team instruction to the tactic and its seems to generate quite a few more half chances and the odd extra clear cut chance, perhaps a few of you would like to trial that as well?

Thanks

There's certainly something in this tactic, it creates a huge amount of shots on goal, but the conversion ratio is poor (way poorer than the AI). I'm not suggesting it's the tactic as I am nowhere near fluid yet, maybe this will improve.

Example being I just played Sheffield Wednesday at home (3rd League game in Championship, I won 3-1) and I had the following stats

Shots on goal = 35

On Target = 14

Off Target = 15

Woodwork = 3

CCC = 5

Half Chances = 6

Long Shots = 9

That's insane really, my team isn't brilliant in terms of quality, the tactic seems to dominate without you really hammering the opposition. I was 1-0 down in this game and didn't get the goal to take me to 3-1 until the last 5 mins.

I'll see how it goes, but it looks like a fantastic base...

EDIT: It's red hot at the moment, 30 mins played in my next game away @ Ipswich and I'm 3-0 up...

Well, that's me out of League 1 and into the Championship at the first time of asking, finished 2nd to Sheff Utd comfortably clear of 3rd place.

The first 19 games were under the old match engine, the remaining 27 were with the current Match Engine.

Media prediction was 17th, so if you get everything else right (signing the right players, team talks, discipline, teams selection etc) you can still perform well above expectations.

You just have to work a little bit harder.

I have been testing adding the 'pass into space' team instruction to the tactic and its seems to generate quite a few more half chances and the odd extra clear cut chance, perhaps a few of you would like to trial that as well?

Thanks

I found that too but check if it affects your possession.... you may find you're giving the ball away more and thus giving the opposing team more chances.

I started a game with Villa(the only EPL team without a good few wingers)

While it hasn't been "Magnificent" so far(only played 7 league games) we have Won 3 Drew 3 Lost 1 Goals For 7 Goals Against 5

Villa's squad is largely poor and i'm only expected to "stay up", plus i only managed to bring in a couple of free signings, so overall that's good going.

Will update in the New Year(in the game, not real life)

Cheers Uwe

I started a game with Villa(the only EPL team without a good few wingers)

While it hasn't been "Magnificent" so far(only played 7 league games) we have Won 3 Drew 3 Lost 1 Goals For 7 Goals Against 5

Villa's squad is largely poor and i'm only expected to "stay up", plus i only managed to bring in a couple of free signings, so overall that's good going.

Will update in the New Year(in the game, not real life)

Cheers Uwe

Tough Crowd!

Been trying this with wolves, they have a great squad for league one so im dominating most games but the highlight was a 9-1 win over oldham

That should keep the squad happy, which will be the issue with Wolves...........

Mr U, who have you got currently playing in the middle of the the park (the advanced playmaker)? Any chance you could post a screenie of their attributes to give us something to compare against so I can go shopping for someone similar?! I just cant find the right person for that role at the moment. I'm playing with Dag + Redbridge with Fulcrum V2 and got promoted in the first season quite easily but am struggling to find consistency with the tactic in Sky Bet L1.

Mr U, who have you got currently playing in the middle of the the park (the advanced playmaker)? Any chance you could post a screenie of their attributes to give us something to compare against so I can go shopping for someone similar?! I just cant find the right person for that role at the moment. I'm playing with Dag + Redbridge with Fulcrum V2 and got promoted in the first season quite easily but am struggling to find consistency with the tactic in Sky Bet L1.

I'm not home from work until tonight but I'm pretty sure it was Lawson D'ath who got me out of league 2 with 19 league goals from midfield. I would have used him in league 1 but he mugged me off and wouldn't renew his contract. He then joined chesterfield and scored against me home & away.......Grrrrrr

Check out his stats, his finishing was 13 by the time I finished with him.

He's no Messi, but great for league 2, good for league 1.

If you can find a natural MC who can finish you are good to go.

I've found that match preparation has a big impact on my success with this tactic. Normally I disregard this feature but both times I have set it to Defensive Positioning I have won comfortably, dominating both games. 2-0 and 7-3.

If I didn't have an OCD about conceding from set peices I would go defensive positioning.

I started a game with Colchester, played 4-3-1-2 maybe 5-6 league games before swapping to use the Fulcrum. My god the game was unkind to me! 12 in a row without winning, first games were truly awful. Lots of chances but failing to score, lots of goals conceded on counters or crosses. But during that dry spell the tactics familiarity improved, play improved, but I was still losing. I loaned a midfielder (can play both MLC/AP) and a striker and watched a lot of games to see what was happening.

Most shots were from outside the area, alot of times the players got stuck outside the area, especially the fullbacks. Tried some shouts but they refused to cross the ball and ended up losing it instead. So one game I turned off "Run at defence" and behold(!) 3 wins in a row scoring 2-3 goals in each. Guess they didn't know what to do when they couldn't get past their player.

I couldn't get the midfield to work in my previous attempts at 3 man central midfield (+DMC or AMC) but it looks promising in the fulcrum. They work hard and have good movement and passing triangles. Need to get the poacher involved a bit more, or scoring more.

A little tweak for you to try (if you are struggling finding B2B midfielders). I have been a bit concerned with a couple of things, firstly one of my B2B wasn't really contributing to defending much, and secondly he was getting in the way of my F9.

So I changed him to a DLP(S), he holds his position better, seems to better placed to defend and allows a good passing outlet for both the FB and the Anchor, plus DLP's are easier to find than B2B.

Give it a try...

Also identified the 'bug' with club reputation making it very difficult to improve your squad as you move through the leagues. SI Investigating this

Any update on this or thread setting out issues?

Also identified the 'bug' with club reputation making it very difficult to improve your squad as you move through the leagues. SI Investigating this

Any update on this or thread setting out issues?

This was my original thread, quite detailed. There has been others. i dont think its one of SI's priorities at the moment with ME, player rating & Tranfers issues.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/366161-Possible-issue-with-Reputation-system

Archived