FM14 TACTIC - "THE FULCRUM" - Back to Back Promotions + Cup Win

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am really liking your tactic Rosler and have started with LFC. I think I have the correct players in each position but the season is going down hill. The sack is imminent…. Any tips? Sorry for the links. My photos could not attach to the message

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqixd5ifrsdamhi/Screen%20Shot%202013-11-04%20at%2022.45.34.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nvaphn07fg6ewoo/Screen%20Shot%202013-11-04%20at%2022.47.27.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f78jhcxhbw9wy24/Screen%20Shot%202013-11-04%20at%2022.46.05.png

There's no way you should be getting those results with that team. You have great players.

I can only imagine its due to the tactic not being fluid, this can take a while in the first season. Then if you lose a few games, morale gets low and your stuck in a bit of a rut.

it will pick up dramatically but it may depend on how patient your board is.

I am playing with Stockport with this tactic. 1st season, 3 games to play and am 6th. Had a lot of indifferent results. However it has taken me all season to become fluid in all 8 disciplines. I suppose that the more coaches you have the quicker the tactic becomes fluid.

I'm not understanding why it's taking so long to get fully fluid.

1st day back for pre-season, MAXIMUM MATCH TRAINING - TACTICS ONLY.

Leave it until you are fully fluid in all 6 areas. Apart from 1st season, you should be fully fluid by end of September,

I hate this bloody game, around playoffs all year long then put together a great run (winning 13 of the last 17 games) needing to win last game of the season to go up, drew 0-0 after players decided to miss open goals and the like, i lost the league by a -6 goal difference.

Play offs v Cambridge in the Skrill Prem, 2 red cards in 1 game, players being idiotic had a rant and had a go at them out of sheer annoyance. lost 3-0 won second leg 1-0 but was all over after first leg.

Anyway a good season overall, just crap to not go up like that, anyway a few improvements to key players, and next year should be a walk in the park.

tbl14-15.png

fix14-15.png

Untitled-3.png

I had a similar experience in League 2.

Lost last game of season, would have gone up automatically with a draw. Lost Johnstone's Trophy Final (that gives a nice boost to your reputation). Lost play-off final.

Next season I walked the League by 15 points, so not all bad.

Matches like this really dont help........... happening a bit too often.

av3l.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

or

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/8655/av3l.png

22 shots, 4 CCC's, 7 half chances = 1 goal

vs

7 shots, 2 CCC's, 0 half chances = 2 goals

SWIMMING AGAINST THE TIDE.

Bring on a ME update.

gcod.png

or

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/980/gcod.png

First season in Premier League, 12th position in League, 13 points clear of relegation zone.

Yet i'm getting this.......

Di Matteo sniffing round MY JOB!

y66q.png

or

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/9070/y66q.png

Where were you when we were in the Skrill North Di Matteo?

I'm gonna KILL HIM!!

Hi,

Could you add your in depth advice on players to the first post?

Really doing great with this tactic. My Ajax squad got to the play-offs in the CL in first season.

But my top goal scorer is Moisander (DC). Bojan and Siggie arent doing it for me.

I play Siggie and De Jong on the right SC (false 9). They are the better composure and strength ones. Should hold some balls.

They dont score much and have so so ratings. Nothing special.

Lucas Andersen is doing great though in de right MC spot. De Jong isnt doing much there.

I play Bojan and Marcelo as left attacker (poacher).

Anyone else playing this tactic with Ajax? Some advice?

Hi,

I want to finish this season in the Prem then I will finish my write ups on the player roles.

I suppose I'm going to have to update the opening post as a lot has happen'd since then. I will try and put all the player roles in there as well.

In terms of your strikers, I can't honestly tell the difference in the match engine between a striker with 18 finishing and a striker with 10 finishing.

Until they sort this out we're all just gonna have take whatever we can get from our strikers.

Hi,

I want to finish this season in the Prem then I will finish my write ups on the player roles.

I suppose I'm going to have to update the opening post as a lot has happen'd since then. I will try and put all the player roles in there as well.

Thnx for the work in advance!

While this tactic has me 2nd in the Skrill North after 8 games with Blyth, I seem to concede a set piece goal every game. Not sure if it's my defenders who are crap or the tactic that needs a little tweaking there. I haven't been training defensive set pieces, as my tactics aren't fluid yet, which might also be why I concede so many. Anyway, just felt I should let you know of this, great tactic in every other aspect :thup:

gcod.png

or

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/980/gcod.png

First season in Premier League, 12th position in League, 13 points clear of relegation zone.

Yet i'm getting this.......

Di Matteo sniffing round MY JOB!

y66q.png

or

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/9070/y66q.png

Where were you when we were in the Skrill North Di Matteo?

I'm gonna KILL HIM!!

Thats ridiculous

While this tactic has me 2nd in the Skrill North after 8 games with Blyth, I seem to concede a set piece goal every game. Not sure if it's my defenders who are crap or the tactic that needs a little tweaking there. I haven't been training defensive set pieces, as my tactics isn't fluid yet, which might also be why I concede so made. Anyway, just felt I should let you know of this, great tactic offensive wise :thup:

Yeah, set pieces will continue to be an issue. Its better when you can get onto defending set pieces.

Again, i believe there is a known issue with underhit near post corners being passed into the back of the net. They don't even need to head it!

Hey Mr U. Do you use those specific ratings to gauge players based on just this tactic or do you use them as that role in general no matter the tactic? I usually used the star method but I am really gonna give yours a try the 2nd half of my season. Ill post the results when finished. Look forward to your opinion on the other roles.

Hey Mr U. Do you use those specific ratings to gauge players based on just this tactic or do you use them as that role in general no matter the tactic? I usually used the star method but I am really gonna give yours a try the 2nd half of my season. Ill post the results when finished. Look forward to your opinion on the other roles.

The attributes I use are for my tactic, you can think about how your tactics work or how you would like them to work and determine which attributes will be best for your players.

OK,

First season in the Premiership.

k210.png

or

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/8278/k210.png

Well happy with that.

Never really in trouble

q70f.png

or

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/6016/q70f.png

How did my front 2 get on?

9d86.png

or

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/2373/9d86.png

A goal every other game, pretty happy with that.

1vre.png

or

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/2825/1vre.png

Not very happy with my False 9. I'll give him another season, if not i'll go down the small, agile, highly mobile route for my False 9 and see how that goes.

I checked my squad at the end of the season and my first choice 11 rated as follows.

Good Premier League Players = 3

Decent Premier League Players = 2

Leading Star for Championship = 1

Good Championship Players = 5

After a hammering by Man U I looked at their squad, and it was truly frightening.

I have a lot of work to do in the transfer market.

Yeah, set pieces will continue to be an issue. Its better when you can get onto defending set pieces.

Again, i believe there is a known issue with underhit near post corners being passed into the back of the net. They don't even need to head it!

It helped me to get the false 9 back in the box. My right back isnt one that can defend a large attacker.

Also there seem to be a lot of opponents free in the box. I guess I need to tweak the defending corners a bit.

Getting very fustrated, followed your advise regarding training and results have been shocking since i did it myself, usually let assistant do it.

Losing game after game atm.

Any help?

oh, and my keeper seems to let it every shot he has to make, while I have 10 shots on target and boss the game and lucky to score 1

had 1 game recent where 35 on goal, 21 on target, they had 2 shots on goal and 2 on target and lost 2-1. cant blame everything on the ME can we? is it that bad?

Getting very fustrated, followed your advise regarding training and results have been shocking since i did it myself, usually let assistant do it.

Losing game after game atm.

Any help?

oh, and my keeper seems to let it every shot he has to make, while I have 10 shots on target and boss the game and lucky to score 1

had 1 game recent where 35 on goal, 21 on target, they had 2 shots on goal and 2 on target and lost 2-1. cant blame everything on the ME can we? is it that bad?

I'll admit that making a tactic that can deliver more than 35 shots on goal for you and only 2 for your opponents is beyond me.

There's a few other tactics kicking around, perhaps they might be less frustrating for you.

I'll admit that making a tactic that can deliver more than 35 shots on goal for you and only 2 for your opponents is beyond me.

There's a few other tactics kicking around, perhaps they might be less frustrating for you.

Na just game does my head in at times, cant wait for the update

Not going to complain with this as doing well with tactic, but 1 question, how do you get the best out the MC ? The "agent" is my best player, natural position it says is AMC , but he is only doing ok as the AP A.

Ok,

The advanced playmaker, what are we looking for in this position.

Flair

Creativity

Dribbling

Finishing

Why these?

We have a 3 man midfield, the other 2 components being box to box midfielders who have very physical jobs to do, very hard working covering lots of ground which allows us the luxury of an Advanced Playmaker in the middle of the park with a firm attacking focus.

We want our Advanced Playmaker to combine both a Direct Threat by which I mean the ability to run directly at opposing centre backs with the ball at his feet as well as a 'passive' threat where he can create goal scoring opportunities for the strikers, spread the ball wide when appropriate, generally dictate our attacking play and more importantly we need him in the opponents box once our attack is building, arriving in time to support our strikers and on occasion run beyond even our poacher into goalscoring positions.

In my 1st season in the Premier League I didn't have an outstanding player in this position and It made life difficult.

I've now picked up this guy who I have high hopes for.

ot84.png

or

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/2484/ot84.png

So we have

Flair 15

Creativity 16

Dribbling 17

Finishing 14

Very nice. Note he is a natural AMC and I am having to train him to MC. I dont normally do this but I am happy to do it for this position.

What else does he bring?

20 Long Shots, we dont like long shots but at the moment players are taking them on so 20 isnt going to hurt, the combination of acceleration, pace and off the ball is pleasing and should help him arrive in the box at the right time to finish chances.

He's a great player, rated as a leading star for a Premier League team and should make quite a difference to the team.

To summarise, we need this guy to be a 'flair' player, someone who can break down 'parked' defences by via passing & dribbling, we need him to be able to finish and be someone we know will be inside the box at the end of attacks. We are not too worried about what he does defensively as we have to Box to Box guys doing this for him, although he will 'chip in' anyway.

next up

Box to Box midfielders....

Not going to complain with this as doing well with tactic, but 1 question, how do you get the best out the MC ? The "agent" is my best player, natural position it says is AMC , but he is only doing ok as the AP A.

See above!

Box to Box midfielders.

A bit of a dying Breed IRL but not in FM. Always been a favourite of mine and pretty much a cornerstone of all of my tactics.

The ultimate 'support' player, switching from defence to attack in an instant and vice versa. Arriving late into the box when attacking, busting a gut to get behind the ball when possession. In this formation they do a much needed job of supporting the Full Backs out wide.

These are our unsung heroes.

What are we after

Tackling

Teamwork

Work Rate

Stamina

****Additionally try and make sure they have at least 10 finishing (subject to the level you are at) as they will get a decent amount of goalscoring chances.

These are largely mental & physical stats. Players like this are not hard to find so you can be pretty choosy or get guys on the cheap and spend your money elsewhere.

So what we are after are players with 'great engines', unselfish in their approach accepting that they will never be the 'stars' of the team. They need to have a very high work ethic, do the hard tackling, the 'hod' carrying and the dirty work.

These are the guys who will win the midfield battle for us.

Now, I don't have a stand out player for this position but I've been using this guy for a few season and he does a great job. I've had other recruitment priorities since promotion.

of0z.png

or

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/2056/of0z.png

So

Work rate 15

Team work 11

Stamina 16

Tackling 9

&

Finishing 11

So a capable player, pushing it a bit in the premier league but out of all the attributes I would prioritise Work Rate. He's a big, strong physical presence in midfield let down by his tackling.

I have been chasing this guy, but his wage requirements are too high for me at the moment. But he is a good example of what I would like.

hpn4.png

or

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/363/hpn4.png

Look at his mental stats, nothing lower than 13, 20 work rate is awesome. And this is not a 'silly' player, He's available for £2m and £45,000 a week. In range for all premier league teams apart from me!

So, you will need at least 4 of these guys to cover for injuries and because they are knackered by the end of every match.

Keep an eye on them, if there condition gets lower than 70 in the match replace them with a fresh player if you can. Bringing on 2 100% condition Box to Box midfielders with 20 minutes to go can really lock down the game or help you get a goal back.

So these guys are vital in making our team tick, the French might refer to them as an 'English Player', not technically brilliant but tough in the tackle, very hard working, mentally and physically strong and unpleasant to play against. And we're rocking with 2 of this guys in our midfield... excellent.

The Anchor Man.

Every team should have one.

This is our shield across the back four. Win back the ball and play it simple. An easy outlet when in possession and nothing else is on and we want to rebuild the attack but more importantly someone who adds further 'steel' to the defensive side of the tactic. Without him there is no way our fullbacks could attack with reckless gusto in the manner that they do. what are we after?

Leadership

Work rate

Positioning

Tackling

Its tempting to go with a huge physical presence in this position, that's certainly an option but I tend to go for a highly mobile anchorman who can across the pitch quickly, make tackles, intercept passes and generally make a nuisance of himself.

I do like a Leader in this position as well, its a good spot for your Captain. If one or more of your centre backs are leaders you can drop this requirement for something else. Positioning is key, our Anchor man is no good for us if he's constantly in the wrong position at the wrong time, we want another hard worker, some one who will work for the benefit of the team. Great technical stats are not required but they need to be an excellent tackler for obvious reasons.

I've picked up this guy for my second season in the Premier League.

2qkl.png

or

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/8979/2qkl.png

Leadership 16

Work rate 14

Positioning 13

Tackling 14

More than adequate. he is also quick, brave with excellent stamina. Someone we want in the trenches with us when the going gets tough.

Another unheralded player, he wont pop up in the highlights very often but check your post match analysis and check out the work he puts in, interceptions, key tackles, headers, the passes he makes etc.

Its not all about goals and assists, someone has to do the 'invisible' work which allows the rest of the team to prosper in their own roles.

So all hail the Anchor Man, the forgotten man, the underdog. Ignored by the masses, but not by those who really matter, his team mates, his Manager..............

Finally, and as I'm starting to realise, possibly the most important players in our team.

The Fullbacks.

Where to start.... ok here.

yjrf.png

or

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/8802/yjrf.png

Look at where the assists are coming from, both ours and our opponents. Out wide, from the flanks. Now this was from my first season in the Premier League so we were not as prolific as normal, I don't know what my right back was upto but i'll be having words........ (actually, i think the imbalance is caused by my Poacher being on the left and my False 9 being on the right, i'm gonna have to think about that).

Anyway most of our assists are from the flanks, not always from our Full Backs as our Box to Box midfielders operate in this area, but our full backs will almost inevitably have been involved in the attacks at some point.

I cant stress how attacking these players are, they will often cross from the opponents byline having made runs from well inside their own half. If the attack is building on the opposite flank they will often arrow into the corner of the 6 yard box becoming auxiliary strikers.

This may sound suicidal from a defensive point of view and sometimes it is. But our Anchor Man and Box to Box midfielders are excellent at picking up the 'slack' and our full backs still put in a good defensive shift providing they have the engine to do so.

Lets look at my new full back, he's a pretty good example.

x35u.png

or

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/9873/x35u.png

Crossing 15

Stamina 14

Work Rate 19

Decisions 16

We will normally have at least 3 players in the box, even on quick attacks, normally more, we want our full backs to be able to 'stick one on their head' or 'right foot' so crossing is key. We need good decision making, when to go, when to stay, and we definately need hard workers with good stamina, as we've already discussed. Great pace is wonderful here if you can get it.

These boys make the whole tactic tic, they add much of the width to the tactic, are involved in nearly all attacks at some point yet are required to make a significant contribution to the defence as well.

Arguably, these guys are actually the 'fulcrum' of the tactic.

Just have to say, i love this tactic, does the biz in all/most situations.

Started with a poor Villa squad finished 7th in the first season, 4th in the second season, qualified for CL and got through to knockout stages and sat 3rd in the table in Jan and on a good run.

The better the team the better the results and even with little money spent i'm largely the better team in all matches, even away to the big clubs.

If i had to pick a fault, it would be my strikers not scoring enough, especially season 3 where my strikers average 16 shots per goal scored, whilst my midfield and defenders are averaging around 3 shots per goal scored.

That's FM for you though i'm afraid.

Great tactic, hope it keeps working throughout the MANY me changes we are likely to see!

Yep it's certainly the best one out there currently. I was rotating between this and the under pressure tactic on here but that just didn't work for me whereas with this it's keeping me in the top 3 of league two with a mediocre team. Will get promoted though I am sure then can utilise the guides to get some better players in.

Yep it's certainly the best one out there currently. I was rotating between this and the under pressure tactic on here but that just didn't work for me whereas with this it's keeping me in the top 3 of league two with a mediocre team. Will get promoted though I am sure then can utilise the guides to get some better players in.

Your right about the players. You have to be less choosy the lower down the leagues your are, especially with the reputation system being extremely harsh on newly promoted teams.

In league 2 when I needed an advanced playmaker, i focused on getting a Natural MC with high finishing because nothing was coming up in my searches otherwise. On the flipside, finding an MC with 13 finishing in league 2 was enough to upset a lot of defences and goal keepers and he scored 19 league goals.

The moral of the story, at times you might have to priorities ONE attribute only in the lower leagues when you have very little to choose from.

Thanks for the tactic Rosler as i am finally getting steady results after the full release.

The only thing that is frustrating is i can outplay the AI completely and every time they have a dead ball situation its always an automatic goal. Also for some reason they always seem to comeback and tie the game no matter how ridiculous of a lead i might have.

3-0, 4-0 up and they tie the game up and i score a winner or lose in the last minute. Makes for some exciting football but dam frustrating knowing that they will always comeback. I make sure my midfield is always fresh and bring in subs when they aren't but they seem to always score goals.

Are there any settings that anyone applies once you have a healthy lead that seem to work or are these issues related to the ME being a little bias towards the AI?

Archived