FM13 - The Basic Guide to Training and Match Preparation

I've been wondering about the Individual player focus training. Does it impact only player development in training in regards to attributes or does it also have tactical implications in terms of players performing in specific roles?

For example, playing as Barca, I want to train Gerard Deulofeu individually. I use a tactic where my AMR and AML are set as Inside Forwards on Attack duty. But I find that this role doesn't train finishing. I would prefer to train Deulofeu as Poacher because it covers dribbling, finishing, first touch, anticipation, composure, off the ball, acceleration, agility, balance and pace - everything I want Gerard to improve on, except decisions.

My assistant advices me that certain players (almost all of them) should be working on their tactical role. Ok, but if I train Iniesta as Advanced Playmaker, he already has excellent attributes in the areas the role trains. Shouldn't I be training him on things I want him to improve on, like finishing, off the ball, acceleration, pace? Again, for the selected attributes I want him to improve the Poacher role trains them.

I hope my examples have made it clear as to what I'm asking and wondering.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been wondering about the Individual player focus training. Does it impact only player development in training in regards to attributes or does it also have tactical implications in terms of players performing in specific roles?

For example, playing as Barca, I want to train Gerard Deulofeu individually. I use a tactic where my AMR and AML are set as Inside Forwards on Attack duty. But I find that this role doesn't train finishing. I would prefer to train Deulofeu as Poacher because it covers dribbling, finishing, first touch, anticipation, composure, off the ball, acceleration, agility, balance and pace - everything I want Gerard to improve on, except decisions.

My assistant advices me that certain players (almost all of them) should be working on their tactical role. Ok, but if I train Iniesta as Advanced Playmaker, he already has excellent attributes in the areas the role trains. Shouldn't I be training him on things I want him to improve on, like finishing, off the ball, acceleration, pace? Again, for the selected attributes I want him to improve the Poacher role trains them.

I hope my examples have made it clear as to what I'm asking and wondering.

Yups just train him in the role you think will improve the attributes you want to work on. It has no implications really and its just development not tactical related.

Maybe this is not the appropriate thread, but i have a question to ask, it is in some way related to training. Is anyone figured out the link between licenses and potential/ability of coaches? I know that license can be acquired during the game, but are there any changes to ability of coach after acquiring pro license for example? Or, does posession of pro license necessarily means that the coach is good(high CA/PA)? Once again, i am sorry for bringing this up here, but these qustions realy bother some people and if someone could answer it, it would be appreciated.

Maybe this is not the appropriate thread, but i have a question to ask, it is in some way related to training. Is anyone figured out the link between licenses and potential/ability of coaches? I know that license can be acquired during the game, but are there any changes to ability of coach after acquiring pro license for example? Or, does posession of pro license necessarily means that the coach is good(high CA/PA)? Once again, i am sorry for bringing this up here, but these qustions realy bother some people and if someone could answer it, it would be appreciated.

His PA is set and wont change. But his current attributes can improve when he learns a new coaching badge.

Cleon has already answered your question - but it is relevant for this thread as it helps you with improving your training and coaching.

Yups just train him in the role you think will improve the attributes you want to work on. It has no implications really and its just development not tactical related.

Good to know, thanks. Then I shall set my AMR/Ls to train as Poachers.

Probably a dumb question, haven't really looked into training much yet, but if you do train someone in a position that they don't play like you guys have been talking about in order to improve certain attributes won't that cause the attributes he already excels in to suffer? Or will general training be enough to keep them up?

Cleon,

I remember you saying that you would want to see training in FM13 to have more impact on tactics. So far it doesn't look like it does. Any thoughts on that? Are you happy with the training redesign?

No I don't like the new training at all. We have less control and less say on training than ever. Not a good move imo :(

No I don't like the new training at all. We have less control and less say on training than ever. Not a good move imo :(

Just what I thought that you wouldn't like it. As soon as you answered my question if individual training focus has any tactical implications, I knew you probably didn't like the new training system.

I personally liked when we had to select the training activities like Piggy in the middle, attacking overload, defensive overload, etc. (which FM/CM was that I forgot) That was more realistic IMO. I think we should have a training system where we are able to select various exercises, drills and games that will make an impact on our tactics and how we want our team to play (in addition to developing players' attributes). IRL training and tactics are connected, which is not the case in FM.

I'm confused. I'm in pre-season and set the focus on fitness with a very high intensity. I also gave all of my players focus on the role I want them to play, light intensity. For a while it said this combined for a medium workload. All of a sudden it's saying my players are on a heavy workload and nothing I do changes that. What is going on?

I'm confused. I'm in pre-season and set the focus on fitness with a very high intensity. I also gave all of my players focus on the role I want them to play, light intensity. For a while it said this combined for a medium workload. All of a sudden it's saying my players are on a heavy workload and nothing I do changes that. What is going on?

perhaps the game is reading it in a 4 week period at a time? see if it drops in a couple of weeks.

so, let's say i have a good deep lying midfielder,has all attributes for this great,but he is not good at ball winning and i'd like him to get better in that area. if I set his individual role to train BWM, will his attributes as DLP detoriate or not?

so, let's say i have a good deep lying midfielder,has all attributes for this great,but he is not good at ball winning and i'd like him to get better in that area. if I set his individual role to train BWM, will his attributes as DLP detoriate or not?

possibly, but he is still getting trained in his other attributes anyway, so it is fairly unlikely

What is everyone thinking for rest periods?

I'm assuming giving the players no rest days in pre-season is sensible as they need to work with high intensity on fitness and cohesion, or am I completely wrong?

Then obviously as the season takes off you give players rests on days after matches?

ok Fabio - you do not need to set each week at a time if you do not wish to, your general training bar IS the default - so you only need to set each individual week if you want to make a change. For example in the first 2 weeks of pre-season i set the individual weeks to fitness and very high intensity.

Regarding individual training - the individual focuses are added on top of the general and match training. So reduce the workload on general training or reduce the individual training to reduce the overall workload. It is entirely up to you having under 18 players on a heavy workload. They tire more easily, but I like to get quick development out of mine, so good professional and fit youngsters will react really well to the heavy schedules.

Would it be better for U-18 and Reserves to lower the intensity of team training and improve the instensity of individual training? Their result don't matter anyway, so I have it on one notch from Less Match Training. So, I was also thinking to concentrate more on individual training. Would that make them improve better and/or faster, or is it team training more efficient?

Hey. Can anyone explain to me the individual focus training? Obviously if you pick a specific attribute it works on it and you should see it improve over time BUT what about the role? If i have a striker who's currently regarded as a targetman and i choose poacher what happens to his stats? Nothing or will he work on the stats that a poacher needs? Or does it just improve their preferred role and they play it better than before without effecting their stats?

Can any of you good guys help please?

I have a player complaining about his training workload- I went to his individual training screen ( the 3rd screenshot above ) and it is set to very heavy ( showing medium in the above screenshot ). Cannot see how to adjust this after about 15 minutes of searching. Any ideas?

Can any of you good guys help please?

I have a player complaining about his training workload- I went to his individual training screen ( the 3rd screenshot above ) and it is set to very heavy ( showing medium in the above screenshot ). Cannot see how to adjust this after about 15 minutes of searching. Any ideas?

Is he training for an individual role? I find this happens quite often when they do.

The only way to fix it seems to be by going to the general team training overview and change the default intensity.

This thread explains it detail because its got SI responses on how training works http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/321850-FM13-New-Training-system-feedback-and-discussions

Prolonging careers of aging players...

Don't think it's been mentioned or queried yet, but what are peoples thoughts on how the best way to keep the aging players in peak physical condition to carry on well into their 30s. In previous years with the old model it was effective in that you can allow said player to train specifically for the focus of maintaining the physical fitness throughout the season - but with this new model I just can't see it being as effective.

I say this because, firstly, if I'm training my 33 year old center back on a positional schedule, he won't be recieving the intensive work that would be needed to keep his fitness high. Secondly, if I choose to train his stamina, to avoid that falling off, his other physical attributes will surely be even more neglected and drop even quicker - so if I'm keeping his stamina in check through a focused attribute schedule, every other technical and physical attribute is going to drop.

Am I reading the situation wrong here; just seems that you are unable to focus the needed attentions into prolonging players fitness levels with the system of training.

Before anybody cries out that the old system of setting up a player with intensive physical and strength sliders was unrealistic, which is quite a prevalent accusation to the slider system - it would surely be the equivalent of that player taking up yoga, pilates, or any other extra training regime that would be common place with senior players in the game.

I fear the days of seeing a player reach his 40s will be over :(

On a side note - I know this isn't a 'training feedback' thread, but after have huge reservations of the new model, it's very much what I thought it would be, and generally far from impressed. One suggestion posted further up that cited Thierry Henry - it would surely make sence for you to still combine a training schedule, and skill focus - so you could supplement and overall well rounded poacher with extra finishing, an area that you may want to stand out, or alternativly lagging behind. Just so disappointing from SI, and find it infuriating that we're have to wait at least another 11 months before it's improved and brought up to, in my opinion, an acceptable level.

Just an anecdote - I've noticed that when on a bad run, 3 loses on the trot etc. When I've gone to Team Cohesion for a week in the training panel it seems to sort them out and the form picks up. Perhaps it's one to experiment with.

My immediate thoughts are to run a test where I do one week balanced training followed by a weeks Team Cohesion throughout the season and seeing if it has any material effect on my results and performance - might all be subjective.

I've given some -19 coaches a new contract,a coach contract so they can train all levels like in fm2012.

I always did this because of the small club and can not hire new coaches.

However now they only show up in first team training and when i select reserve or -19 they're not there.

Don't understand this,has this changed?

I've given some -19 coaches a new contract,a coach contract so they can train all levels like in fm2012.

However now they only show up in first team training and when i select reserve or -19 they're not there.

Don't understand this,has this changed?

It seems to me that on FM13 when you hire some as "coach" he only coaches the first team and not the 19s.

Any particular reason why my Match Preparation setting change by themselves?

i got same issue like urs. u solved the puzzle d? if got solution pls kindly share it out. thanks.

another issue to be highlight, did u guys noticed when we set individual training on the player, the list (sort by position) will be messed up (we can't sort by position,name or etc cos it will auto back to default once we selected the position to be trained) & the individual training we set earlier will be back to default also like nothing has been adjust (sometimes it is fine). Is it a bug?

i got same issue like urs. u solved the puzzle d? if got solution pls kindly share it out. thanks.

another issue to be highlight, did u guys noticed when we set individual training on the player, the list (sort by position) will be messed up (we can't sort by position,name or etc cos it will auto back to default once we selected the position to be trained) & the individual training we set earlier will be back to default also like nothing has been adjust (sometimes it is fine). Is it a bug?

Do your staff responsibilities ask your assistant to sort out match prep?

Where do you go in game to see; how many coaches you already have compared to how many coaches your allowed?

In FM12 I think it was in the finances, or boardroom screen.

Boardroom overview screen, bottom left

Just an anecdote - I've noticed that when on a bad run, 3 loses on the trot etc. When I've gone to Team Cohesion for a week in the training panel it seems to sort them out and the form picks up. Perhaps it's one to experiment with.

My immediate thoughts are to run a test where I do one week balanced training followed by a weeks Team Cohesion throughout the season and seeing if it has any material effect on my results and performance - might all be subjective.

I am thinking the same thing, I set my general training to defending around 70% of the time. I have noticed that my team defends very well and we are hard to break down. So, does the general training affect the way your team play on the pitch as a team?

If this is the case then I think this is a very positive addition to the training module.

I am thinking the same thing, I set my general training to defending around 70% of the time. I have noticed that my team defends very well and we are hard to break down. So, does the general training affect the way your team play on the pitch as a team?

If this is the case then I think this is a very positive addition to the training module.

Once the team as gelled team cohesion as no impact.

"I've given some -19 coaches a new contract,a coach contract so they can train all levels like in fm2012.

However now they only show up in first team training and when i select reserve or -19 they're not there."

I have the same issue, is this right? Goalkeeper and fitness coaches show at all levels, that's it.

I think so, it seems as though only fitness and goalkeeper coaches train everyone.

Normal coaches should train them too. The online manual says they can, I can't confirm how though cos I'm low levels and don't have any coaches :(

Normal coaches should train them too. The online manual says they can, I can't confirm how though cos I'm low levels and don't have any coaches :(

I know that was the case on FM12 but cant seem to do it on FM13, when you click on the u19 training page and have the option to assign the training the coaches are not there only the reserve manager, goalkeeper coaches, fitness coaches, head of youth and the u18's coaches.

Theres no sign of the 1st team coaches unless I am doing it wrong somehow.

Archived