FM13 - The Basic Guide to Training and Match Preparation

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah balls, I thought that might be the case.

Cleon, it might be worth getting them to amend the online manual if the info isn't right on there?

Have to be honest, I'm really not liking the new training at the moment, it's going to take a while for me to get used to it.

Nice thread.

Two questions: some coach told me I should train x player individually in tactics. Can I do that for a specific player (and not especially for the whole team) and if yes, please tell me how.

Also have the problem that new coach signings only appear in the first/reserve squad training and not in the youth training. I also cannot specify a search for an U18/19/21 coach, or can I in the contract offer itself.

Problem is I already have the allowed 6 coaches and not one of them is traing my youth and I'm not allowed to buy some more ...

High guy. I have tried to understand the new training model, but I can't seem to figure it out. It seems very clear-cut, butI don't know what exactly to focus on. I feel like I am missing a feedback screen since I have no clue how my players react to team training. Let's say I focus on defensice training since my team sucks at defending. How exatly can I see whether they improve or not?

Nice thread.

Two questions: some coach told me I should train x player individually in tactics. Can I do that for a specific player (and not especially for the whole team) and if yes, please tell me how.

Also have the problem that new coach signings only appear in the first/reserve squad training and not in the youth training. I also cannot specify a search for an U18/19/21 coach, or can I in the contract offer itself.

Problem is I already have the allowed 6 coaches and not one of them is traing my youth and I'm not allowed to buy some more ...

Ok SI have confirmed that general coaches are only able to coach first team and reserve teams. So to answer the coaches question - you can't. Fire or renegotiate deals.

To train a player individually do either of the following:

1 - Go to training, select individual from sub-tab, then select the drop down menu next to each player.

2 - Go to the player in question, go to training, then select from the drop down menu for individual role

High guy. I have tried to understand the new training model, but I can't seem to figure it out. It seems very clear-cut, butI don't know what exactly to focus on. I feel like I am missing a feedback screen since I have no clue how my players react to team training. Let's say I focus on defensice training since my team sucks at defending. How exatly can I see whether they improve or not?

general training affects attributes only - so your player's defensive attributes should increase

general training affects attributes only - so your player's defensive attributes should increase

So it's not the team training their collaborative defensive setup (who to mark, where to stand etc)? I'm just telling the team (including the attackers I assume) to focus more on their defensive attributes?

So it's not the team training their collaborative defensive setup (who to mark, where to stand etc)? I'm just telling the team (including the attackers I assume) to focus more on their defensive attributes?

Yes - the match training - defensive positioning - is what will improve defensive work on a match to match basis.

When you have a defensive focus on general training, yes you will improve attacker's defensive attributes, but they still train their attacking attributes, and are not going to get swamped in defensive attributes only

Does "Tactics" general training raise stats or just the tactic familiarity level? or both?

Same with team cohesion, does it raise stats or just make gelling faster? if so, why would I use it after my ass man says they are gelled?

ive had these doubts since ive started playing, since I dont know if I should keep using those trainings or not..

and finally, another thing; what can I do with old players individually? they normally start to lose fitness stats, but I dont want to keep the whole team training on fitness just for them, and there doesnt seem to be any specific option for this

it raises tactical attributes - things like anticipation, decisions, composure etc

thanks for the answer, and what about the other 2 things? especially the old players question, they keep losing fitness, but i dont know if there is anything I can do for them to focus more on their fitness training...

also, is it recommended to have less match preparation or more match preparation? what do you recommend?

Thanks for the explanation llama3, it's clear now. Is there any way to know which aspect my team lacks (aside from watching the matches obviously)?

watch the games, it will be obvious - your assistant will also tell you what you are struggling with

I'm sure that I have posted about this about a week ago but I can't find my post. It seems to have vanished. It was this.

At the start of a game in the meetings screen, your Asst asks about how he can help with the training. There are two replies available here.

1. Ask him to 'take control of all the match preparation' and ...

2. Ask him to take care of all the match preparation training'.

Am I correct in assuming that answer one just has him doing the 'match preparation' and answer two has him doing both the match preparation and all of the training? I ask because no matter which option I choose, I still get my 'next opposition' scout advising on the next match preparation and whether I want to do it or ask my Assistant to do it. Also, the preparation always seems to be 'attacking movement' and on checking this I find that the match preparation seems to always be set to 'tactics'. What am I missing?

Ok so i'm struggling a little bit to come to terms with the new training. Not saying it's a step backwards - it actually seems good on the surface (except little bugs like applying individual role training re-ordering the sort order etc)

So in FM12 I would have a striker in an individual striker routine which I know would then focus on the attributes I typically want from a striker. If he lacked somewhere, I'd train an individual attribute. Fine.

In FM13 that striker is now training in the same as everybody else (the general training) which i'll either set to balanced, or chop and change weekly. That's fine - but then he's not focusing on his attacking attributes which i'd like him to?

Is the standard thing to do, to go through each player and set their individual training to certain roles? Or does the 'general' training still focus on the attributes I would prefer them to?

I ask because setting every single player to an individual role / attribute ADDS ON to the general training, so it either means setting the general to low or the individual role to low?

Sorry for the mess of a post - I'm just trying to find out more details so i can decide what the best is for me.

Question

The new coach report has two bar highlighting a player's happiness and training progression but what exactly is the training progression bar measured against? Is it showing their progress towards their PA or is it an indicator of the likelihood of attribute increases from their current training schedule?

I am asking because the majority of my players are happy (green) but their progression bar tend to be red or amber. Either my schedules are crap or it is just indicating that they have a long way to go before reaching their potential.

I have actually seen little movement in the progression bars on my players - i'll get back to you with an answer after my night shifts on that. I will need to investigate.

llama3, would it be possible for you to comment on my post,#118, please. I would appreciate a definition of the two options within the training meeting with your assistant manager, which takes place at the beginning of the game.

llama3, would it be possible for you to comment on my post,#118, please. I would appreciate a definition of the two options within the training meeting with your assistant manager, which takes place at the beginning of the game.

answer - no idea, because I never let my assistant manage training, I am quite a micro-manager, so I have not tried to know what these do

You should get 4 options and each one is different. Not sure if I've misunderstood your question or if you've read wrong but look at this screenshot;

96191754.png

The first option the assistant does all the match prep including any opposition instructions.

The 2nd option the assistant does the match prep but you do the opposition instructions

The 3rd option the assistant does the opposition instructions and you do the match prep.

The 4th option you do everything

Hi Cleon, I think that I have been misunderstanding the options. I have been assuming that the four options also apply to the teams general training as well as the match preparation training. I am now assuming that all four options apply only to the 'match preparation' training, eg: scout 'X' suggests that 'attacking movement' may be the best match preparation for the next match.

The teams general training has nothing at all to do with the four options above. Have I got it right, at last? If so, then once more, you have enlightened me, Cleon. If not, then forgive a senile senior citizen his lack of a brain. Hee! Hee!

Hi Cleon, I think that I have been misunderstanding the options. I have been assuming that the four options also apply to the teams general training as well as the match preparation training. I am now assuming that all four options apply only to the 'match preparation' training, eg: scout 'X' suggests that 'attacking movement' may be the best match preparation for the next match.

The teams general training has nothing at all to do with the four options above. Have I got it right, at last? If so, then once more, you have enlightened me, Cleon. If not, then forgive a senile senior citizen his lack of a brain. Hee! Hee!

That is correct :)

I'm always happy to help a fellow senile person out :D

Is there a way of finding out what aspect on which your team needs additional training? I'm just randomly throwing up training because I have no idea what they need.

Additional training - is that match preparation? your assistant will suggest in-game, but tbh just watch and see. You can adapt it to each opponent (i.e. playing stoke, defending set pieces maybe?) etc

Additional training - is that match preparation? your assistant will suggest in-game, but tbh just watch and see. You can adapt it to each opponent (i.e. playing stoke, defending set pieces maybe?) etc

Yeah, when I go to training, how do I know if I need to work on Attacking or on Team Cohesion, etc? I don't want to work Ball Control when my team is pants at Defense. I mean, there's a box in Tactics that show you how good your team is with all those aspects - is there a place where it rates your team's training competence?

My ass man doesn't do those suggestions.

Honestly, I only watch the "Key" moments rather than the whole game.

Yeah, when I go to training, how do I know if I need to work on Attacking or on Team Cohesion, etc? I don't want to work Ball Control when my team is pants at Defense. I mean, there's a box in Tactics that show you how good your team is with all those aspects - is there a place where it rates your team's training competence?

My ass man doesn't do those suggestions.

Honestly, I only watch the "Key" moments rather than the whole game.

That is attribute training, it doesn't "improve" your team all of a sudden in an area you are playing poorly in on the pitch. It is a general focus on an area of training. So, if you are Barcelona you might like your players to be generally attacking, or if you are Stoke you might choose defending, or you may play Ball Control if you are Man Utd etc

I have a question, might be silly, but I'm a first time player and still overwhelmed by many choices. I feel like I'm messing up my players and team by having no structure or plan in my training...

Most importantly, does individually training a role (e.g. training Thiago as a Dynamic Midfielder) increase attributes?

What is the level of stars a big club like Barca should have in the different training areas like tactics, defending, etc.? And how many trainers?

Is there a smart order and structure to do training that I should try to follow? It's been very chaotic as of now, different focus every week, I bet my players are confused as hell. :p

yes individually training a role boosts the attributes key to that role - i.e. an advanced playmaker role will improve passing, creativity, etc

a big club you should be looking to get 5* coaches when possible

1. Can anyone explain how "Progression bar" in player report screen works (it seems permanently stuck in the middle on all my players)?

2. Whats the difference between general training focus set to Team cohesion and match training set to Teamwork?

3. Will general training focus set to Team cohesion accelerate progression of any particular group of player attributes or it helps team blend, boosts team morale...?

1. Can anyone explain how "Progression bar" in player report screen works (it seems permanently stuck in the middle on all my players)?

2. Whats the difference between general training focus set to Team cohesion and match training set to Teamwork?

3. Will general training focus set to Team cohesion accelerate progression of any particular group of player attributes or it helps team blend, boosts team morale...?

2) The first helps players settle who you've brought the club. The latter helps them work as a team on the pitch and gain an understanding of how each other play as a team

3) Helps the team blend but once that's happened it has no bearing.

2) The first helps players settle who you've brought the club. The latter helps them work as a team on the pitch and gain an understanding of how each other play as a team

3) Helps the team blend but once that's happened it has no bearing.

Thank you! Any idea about Progression bar?

• 4 weeks later...
not a bad idea - high physical training, and decent level match training for tactics only is a good idea

yes determination, level of discipline and motivation are key aspects for star ratings

With regards to coaches and star ratings.. What is lowest you would go for the above 3 attributes (along with the relevant attributes for the position e.g def/tactics etc) to gain the best star rating?

I'm beginning to think the progression bar hasn't been fully implemented as a feature or something. No one seems to know what it does, it doesn't seem to be tied to attribute increase/decreases and there is no description of it within the manual.

I'm beginning to think the progression bar hasn't been fully implemented as a feature or something. No one seems to know what it does, it doesn't seem to be tied to attribute increase/decreases and there is no description of it within the manual.

It's as I thought it is, I just didn't want to help the poster above.

But for those who might not have seen Riz from SI post about this in general earlier, here is what he said;

The "Progression" bar shown in the report screen shows you how the player has developed in recent months ability wise according to your coaches. So it technically recaps the total progress that occasionally prompts specific news items where your coaches tell you if they have been impressed by a players progress in training in recent months etc. We've done some finetuning for this in the future updates so it will show changes a bit better.

With regards to coaches and star ratings.. What is lowest you would go for the above 3 attributes (along with the relevant attributes for the position e.g def/tactics etc) to gain the best star rating?

Well as high as possible really - all 16's is nice, but is also the same as a 15, 16, 17

So is it worth it to have a rest before and after a match? Or just after?

For a premier league team in europe i would think only having a rest after a match would be best, but even then would that rest be a waste?

depends on the size of the squad, fitness, and competitions - i.e. a large squad, out of europe, 2nd half of the season may make good use of just a single rest day. a busy, small squad may need both

Archived