Stadium Improvement Overlooked AGAIN!

Perhaps the problem in FM is not the stadium capacity, but the increase of fan base in clubs, specially in clubs that have a quick sucessful run.

A club from a town with 10.000 habitant, that in 7 years reach the bottom league to primeire league, and can sold out a 30.000 stadium... perhaps in this scenario the problem is the amount of people that go to see the game. :)

no?

Don't you think that if Colwyn Bay actually happened to do that, the whole of North Wales as well as the rest of the world who likes good football would like to watch them play? If a small club actually won Champions League and were title contenders do you really think that their fanbase would increase with a couple of thousand for next season? Or is it more likely that a couple of hundred thousand would like to watch their games?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look at Blackpool, even with getting to the EPL a few years back, they still didnt sell out their tiny stadium week in week out. There are no guarentee's with this kinda thing. Even my club Aberdeen back in the 80's were one of the best teams in Europe for a while, were dominate domestically and had some of the countries best players, and we still could not sell out our stadium every week.

Don't you think that if Colwyn Bay actually happened to do that, the whole of North Wales as well as the rest of the world who likes good football would like to watch them play? If a small club actually won Champions League and were title contenders do you really think that their fanbase would increase with a couple of thousand for next season? Or is it more likely that a couple of hundred thousand would like to watch their games?

I dont know what is the reallity in england or wales, but in portugal if a small club start winning every league, fans from other clubs wouldn't all of the sudden start being fans of that small club. A benfica fan will always be a benfica fan, a porto fan will always be a porto fan.

Of course the fanbase of that small club will rise, but will take perhaps 20 years or more (perhaps a new generation of people that grow up seeing that club winning) to get that boost.

But it doesn't happen that way in real-life, there's not a single club in the UK with an 80,000 capacity stadium. Most, regardless of success, are well below that. So why would Colwyn Bay buck the trend? Man Utd are probably about the biggest club in the world, they still are under 80,000.

Who said anything about good football? Winning the champs league doesnt equate to good football.

You can almost answer your own question, what increase did Porto experience after winning the champs league a few years back? Was it a few hundred thousand new fans?

Who said anything about good football? Winning the champs league doesnt equate to good football.

You can almost answer your own question, what increase did Porto experience after winning the champs league a few years back? Was it a few hundred thousand new fans?

Actually Porto is a good example.

It was a team, 30 years ago, that rarely win anything, and it was the 3rd club in Portugal in terms of fanbase.

Now, it's the club with more titles and it's the 2nd club in terms of fanbase (Sporting is the 3rd now, while Benfica remains the first).

In those 30 years Porto only have a stadium built, and it was because of Euro2004. The stadium as a 50.000 capacity... very close to the capacity of the old stadium.

In Portugal, 30 years ago, 2 out of 3 child that was born in Portugal would turn into a Benfica fan. Now... Porto fanbase are getting bigger, because the club is winning and the kids like the winnins clubs and fall in love with the winning clubs. But as i said in the other post, this things take generations to change.

Now, do you really think that Colwyn Bay, just because win everything for 15 years would turn into the bigger team in the world in terms of fanbase? I tell you, not even in UK.

I dont think they would at all. Like you say, supporting a team doesnt come just from a club winning things, its bred into you. I dont support Aberdeen because they win, or because they were succesful years ago, i support them because its part of my life, and always will be. Even if another club started up in Aberdeen and won the champions league withing 2 years, i would still support my team.

You need to encourage the next generation of fans to follow your club, you wont change the people already supporting a club.

People dont just up sticks and support the the succesful team in the country.

I have never had a problem with my board's building new stadiums

Below is a screenshot from FM10 (this is all I have available as I am at work and is the only screenshot that is applicable in Photobucket)

This shows I had an attendance of 73,673 to a Champions League Semi Final at home for Cambridge City

CLSF.jpg

Without wishing to derail the thread too much, surely the issue isn't so much that the stadiums aren't keeping up with the club's progression, but that the club progression is clearly completely ridiculous? If this is happening (and with 5 managers playing the same random tiny club, no less), how much more damning evidence can there be that the AI is not capable of competing against a human manager?

Without wishing to derail the thread too much, surely the issue isn't so much that the stadiums aren't keeping up with the club's progression, but that the club progression is clearly completely ridiculous? If this is happening (and with 5 managers playing the same random tiny club, no less), how much more damning evidence can there be that the AI is not capable of competing against a human manager?

Your right, lets not derail the thread. This is about stadiums.

Certainly Porto's status as a big club to be feared in CL draws was more or less forged that evening? Before that, they weren't actually thought of as a difficult opponent. I am quite certain that football fans across the globe became more aware of Porto as a club after they won the CL, and I am sure that their fanbase experienced a bump afterwards.

A much bigger bump than the almost linear increase a successful club in FM experiences.

Certainly Porto's status as a big club to be feared in CL draws was more or less forged that evening? Before that, they weren't actually thought of as a difficult opponent. I am quite certain that football fans across the globe became more aware of Porto as a club after they won the CL, and I am sure that their fanbase experienced a bump afterwards.

A much bigger bump than the almost linear increase a successful club in FM experiences.

I think you are making a linear correlation between clubs grow and fanbase grow, and in my opinion that's a mistake.

I dont think they would at all. Like you say, supporting a team doesnt come just from a club winning things, its bred into you. I dont support Aberdeen because they win, or because they were succesful years ago, i support them because its part of my life, and always will be. Even if another club started up in Aberdeen and won the champions league withing 2 years, i would still support my team.

You need to encourage the next generation of fans to follow your club, you wont change the people already supporting a club.

People dont just up sticks and support the the succesful team in the country.

If a club is succesful over a long period of time then it's fanbase can grow substantially, as new generations of fans will see that team as the biggest and choose to support them despite their parent's wishes, a bit like how Man Utd had a massive increase in fans during the 90s!

Yes, but more people becoming aware of the club does not equate to a jump in attendaces of a massive proportion.

If a club is succesful over a long period of time then it's fanbase can grow substantially, as new generations of fans will see that team as the biggest and choose to support them despite their parent's wishes, a bit like how Man Utd had a massive increase in fans during the 90s!

Exactly! Continued success over a long period of time will definitely increase your fan base, and the game covers that to an extent, but a club is not going to go from having 20,000 fans coming to see them to 80,000 in the space of 5 years.

I think you are making a linear correlation between clubs grow and fanbase grow, and in my opinion that's a mistake.

Gonna pull some numbers out of thin air, but isn't it true that maybe 50% of big clubs fanbase is local and the rest are bandwagon "I chose a winner" fans? A title win vastly increases the fanbase of a club and the paying punters don't always come from the local area.

Perhaps the best compromise is that a top league title win fills the 'new stadium blocked' timer. So just getting to the EPL or Serie A isn't enough to get a new stadium, but winning the title is.

Gonna pull some numbers out of thin air, but isn't it true that maybe 50% of big clubs fanbase is local and the rest are bandwagon "I chose a winner" fans? A title win vastly increases the fanbase of a club and the paying punters don't always come from the local area.

Perhaps the best compromise is that a top league title win fills the 'new stadium blocked' timer. So just getting to the EPL or Serie A isn't enough to get a new stadium, but winning the title is.

I dont know a single person that had change is favourite club, despite a winning or loosing run.

I dont know a single person that had change is favourite club, despite a winning or loosing run.

I don't think he meant changing favourite clubs, but that when first deciding on one, it being a successful club is certainly a factor to some kids.

But they went from a very large club, with great history, to an even bigger club, with even greater achievments. They didn't go from pub side to world leaders. And they're still <80k.

OK.... I was a bit optimistic saying we should of had a stadium built that had a capacity of around 80k+ :O

But surely being at a club like Colwyn Bay and taking them to such heights as Manchester United could only dream about in real life... on a regular basis and with cash in the bank should equate to a stadium being built of at least 50k...

I really dont understand the people who say you would have to take the locality of a stadium into account... sorry but thats rubbish.... Think of where you live.... are you telling me theres no where in your city where given enough money you could build a brand new stadium?

Stunned that no-one's mentioned the two closest real-life examples of this sort of thing!

As even Wikipedia points out, Wimbledon averaged just over 3,000 fans in their first year in the league (1977-78), just under 8,000 in their first year in the top flight (1986-87), and rose to just over 18,000 in their penultimate year in the top flight (1998-99). And of course, that rise was only possible because they moved to a convenient nearby stadium because their local council didn't let them have one in their home town...

Meanwhile, Wigan's progression was the other way round, in that their sugar daddy built them their 25k stadium, and they then went in sucessive seasons from 7,200 to 9,500 to 11,100 to 20,600 as they climbed the divisions and their subsequent Premiership average has been of the order of 18,500.

In either case, the fundamental point is that Borough of Wigan has a population of 300k and is relatively urban, London Borough of Merton has a population of 200k and is entirely urban, whereas Conwy County Borough has a population of just over 100k and is decidedly rural. I'm afraid the issue raised here is nothing to do with stadiums, it's simply that the game accurately reflects the absolute impossibility of a team from Colwyn Bay, however successful, having enough people who can physically get to its games to give it the sort of crowds you insist it should have as of right.

PS You could build a 25,000 stadium in Darlington. That doesn't mean George Reynolds wasn't a moron...

The main point of this thread is that in my group of family and friends at least 3 of us have taken Colwyn Bay to the very top of World football .. we had to pretend that an extension was built to hold our silverware :)

And NONE of us had a stadium had a stadium built for us that was bigger than 20k ...

SI work extremely hard to make the Football Manager brand the most realistic Football Management game in the market today ... and yet Neil Brock you say in regard to this thread and I quote "bear in mind completely unrealistic circumstances (such as a tiny club becoming so successful) make it difficult for the game to handle it realistically." surely part of the fun is to take a tiny club to world domination. ... :)

Stunned that no-one's mentioned the two closest real-life examples of this sort of thing!

As even Wikipedia points out, Wimbledon averaged just over 3,000 fans in their first year in the league (1977-78), just under 8,000 in their first year in the top flight (1986-87), and rose to just over 18,000 in their penultimate year in the top flight (1998-99). And of course, that rise was only possible because they moved to a convenient nearby stadium because their local council didn't let them have one in their home town...

Meanwhile, Wigan's progression was the other way round, in that their sugar daddy built them their 25k stadium, and they then went in sucessive seasons from 7,200 to 9,500 to 11,100 to 20,600 as they climbed the divisions and their subsequent Premiership average has been of the order of 18,500.

In either case, the fundamental point is that Borough of Wigan has a population of 300k and is relatively urban, London Borough of Merton has a population of 200k and is entirely urban, whereas Conwy County Borough has a population of just over 100k and is decidedly rural. I'm afraid the issue raised here is nothing to do with stadiums, it's simply that the game accurately reflects the absolute impossibility of a team from Colwyn Bay, however successful, having enough people who can physically get to its games to give it the sort of crowds you insist it should have as of right.

PS You could build a 25,000 stadium in Darlington. That doesn't mean George Reynolds wasn't a moron...

We will have to agree to disagree ... my Colwyn Bay are a joy to watch and are very successful and if you went to one of our ingame games you would come on a regular basis ;)

Fans travel hundreds and even thousands of miles to see Man Utd play ....in real life....

The main point of this thread is that in my group of family and friends at least 3 of us have taken Colwyn Bay to the very top of World football .. we had to pretend that an extension was built to hold our silverware :)

And NONE of us had a stadium had a stadium built for us that was bigger than 20k ...

SI work extremely hard to make the Football Manager brand the most realistic Football Management game in the market today ... and yet Neil Brock you say in regard to this thread and I quote "bear in mind completely unrealistic circumstances (such as a tiny club becoming so successful) make it difficult for the game to handle it realistically." surely part of the fun is to take a tiny club to world domination. ... :)

You need to have another look at post #7 by Dafuge. He's had 2 new stadiums built because of continued success, you just need to be more patient.

No chance, I don't know of a Football Manager who ever decided, planned and built their own stadium. I'd suggest posting in the bugs forum and providing save games if you think the lack of expansion is a bug, but bear in mind completely unrealistic circumstances (such as a tiny club becoming so successful) make it difficult for the game to handle it realistically.

Didnt Willie Waddel have something to do with the Ibrox built for Rangers after the Ibrox Disaster. Ok in bad circumstances. I might be wrong sure i read somewhere he designed it.

¨

But Wimbledon and Wigan didn't and hasn't won anything. We are talking about multiple CL and league victories here! Colwyn Bay in the case of the OP and his family is probably one of the biggest club names in the world at this point... in every aspect but the tiny stadium. They are mentioned in the same sentences as Real Madrid, Barcelona, Milan and Manchester United... with a 15k stadium.

I really dont understand the people who say you would have to take the locality of a stadium into account... sorry but thats rubbish.... Think of where you live.... are you telling me theres no where in your city where given enough money you could build a brand new stadium?

My club are currently planning on moving the club outwith the City for that exact reason, there is no where to build a new one that is suitable. Its also taking about 5 years of planning to get to the point where they dont think they can build it within Aberdeen, will take another 2 years (approx) to find and aquire a new site, then another 2/3 (approx) years to get it built and move us in, overal we could be looking at 12/13 years from initial planning to us finally moving into it.

My club are currently planning on moving the club outwith the City for that exact reason, there is no where to build a new one that is suitable. Its also taking about 5 years of planning to get to the point where they dont think they can build it within Aberdeen, will take another 2 years (approx) to find and aquire a new site, then another 2/3 (approx) years to get it built and move us in, overal we could be looking at 12/13 years from initial planning to us finally moving into it.

I don;t know all the ins and outs as im sure Aberdeen fans will, but isn't their new stadium planning hinged on finding a sponsor aswell as land?

I don;t know all the ins and outs as im sure Aberdeen fans will, but isn't their new stadium planning hinged on finding a sponsor aswell as land?

Not as such, the stadium is being held up because they cannot get the land they wanted, infact they have been turned down now for several different sites, the latest because they wanted to use community owned land. There is no space or infastructure in Aberdeen to really accomodate the football club, the only real option left is to move the club to the outskirts somewhere.

Not as such, the stadium is being held up because they cannot get the land they wanted, infact they have been turned down now for several different sites, the latest because they wanted to use community owned land. There is no space or infastructure in Aberdeen to really accomodate the football club, the only real option left is to move the club to the outskirts somewhere.

I understand the density problem. But to my understanding the club cannot afford a new stadium. Expessially given the current climate in Scottish football. I heard about 3 years ago they where begging for sponsorship and that was under better financial conditions. I might be wrong. As i said i imagine Aberdeen fans will know better.

We can afford to build the thing, if we can find the space to build it, from what the chairman has said, no they dont have a sponsor for it yet, but dont envisage any problems getting one when they have a final plan, also most of the stadium will be funded by selling the ground Pittodrie is already on, its prime time sea front land, almost the most saught after location in the city to build new flats.

People are confusing local fans with fans on a global scale.

It is much easier to attract fans to your club through winning, on a global basis but a clubs local number of fans won't increase dramatically and these are the fans that go to watch the games.

I'm not sure what the problem is. If you play for long enough then it is easily possible to get huge stadia at formerly tiny clubs.

Like this

And as for populations, that is based in the village of Tandragee with a population of around 3000.

COMEON... 2076 is when your new stadium will be finished thats over SIXTY years of waiting .... just not good enough

¨

But Wimbledon and Wigan didn't and hasn't won anything. We are talking about multiple CL and league victories here! Colwyn Bay in the case of the OP and his family is probably one of the biggest club names in the world at this point... in every aspect but the tiny stadium. They are mentioned in the same sentences as Real Madrid, Barcelona, Milan and Manchester United... with a 15k stadium.

THANK YOU... you have got the point exactly :)

Their ground still doesn't have a capacity of 80,000, as you keep demanding your Colwyn Bay side be given.

PLEASE read throught he thread .. I have already admitted that 80k+ was a bit optimistic what I want is a stadium at least over 50k

3 actually :cool:

Dafuge Park

Dafuge Stadium

Dafuge Arena

I just wish they could come up with better names.

THANKS buts I think you sort of back up my point... it wasnt until 2054 that they built a stadium to be proud of.... so the question I have for you is.. how much Silverware and cash did you have BEFORE getting this stadium.... did my discription of my Colwyn Bay team mirror your team?

Archived