Champions of Europe 2012/13 Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Modric to Chelsea :saywhatnow: Probably just recycled rumours because he looks like joining Madrid. I'm going to take any 'fresh' rumours with a pinch of salt for now.

More important things to think about, like the new season and who will start the first game :cool:

Defence and Torres are pretty straight forward. I assume the midfield will line up with Mikel, Lampard; Mata, Hazard, Ramires. Saying that, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ramires play in Mikel's place and Marin start.

Modric to Chelsea :saywhatnow: Probably just recycled rumours because he looks like joining Madrid. I'm going to take any 'fresh' rumours with a pinch of salt for now.

More important things to think about, like the new season and who will start the first game :cool:

Defence and Torres are pretty straight forward. I assume the midfield will line up with Mikel, Lampard; Mata, Hazard, Ramires. Saying that, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ramires play in Mikel's place and Marin start.

Marin not available for first game cause of hamstring. Oscar will start i think.

Ramires is not a defensive midfielder. Mikel has almost a guaranteed place in the first 11 because we can't play someone like Ramires or Oscar in his place or the defence will be completely exposed, and Essien and Romeu aren't going to be good enough, not yet anyway.

Obviously Ramires isn't a defensive midfielder, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him covering for Mikel in games where his dynamism from the middle can be just as effective as Mikel playing defensively. Wigan is one of those games I feel falls into that category.

We will always be a better balanced side with Mikel in the team right now though, you can't really just change that vs teams you expect to beat and not come unstuck at some point. It's possible to play Ramires there but I think it makes the team worse and way more exposed defensively, which is why I expect Mikel to have some of the highest amount of game time come the end of the season.

Obviously Ramires isn't a defensive midfielder, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him covering for Mikel in games where his dynamism from the middle can be just as effective as Mikel playing defensively. Wigan is one of those games I feel falls into that category.

With Lampard generally playing deeper these days, I'd say a Ramires - Lampard CM pairing offers a reasonable degree of protection. Not perfect, obviously, but I'd rather have them both in the team and Ramires playing centrally, where he's at his best IMO.

Like Didier with Arsenal hopefully :cool:

Newcastle were decent against Spurs, not sure how many of their first 11 will play in Athens in the week but if they're a bit tired that will help us. Obviously we know first hand how good and unpredictable they can be upfront so we need to be wary of that. If we were playing them with last season's squad I'd be a tad concerned about breaking them down defensively but hopefully the additions made can stop that being a problem :thup:

Hoping for better performances from quite a few players today, Mikel was atrocious against City and Luiz's positioning seemed pretty bad as well and Cole had one of the worst games I've ever seen from him (although, tbf, he is excellent 99% of the time).

Why start him over others in mid?

Balance. Need at least 1 member of the front 4 to be remotely interested in defending. Plus:

Oscar has had one training session.

Meireles is not a winger and playing him means dragging Mata wide.

Start Sturridge and our attacking options off the bench are weak.

That was a pretty poor performance. I dunno if the two early goals meant people slacked off or not but if we play like that vs a good side we'll get beat. Also don't really know what Mikel does in this side, he doesn't protect the back 4 at all.

Good result in the end. Can only get better as the season progresses. Hazard and Oscar look excellent players and along with Mata should definitely be looking to start. Playing Bertrand was actually a very good decision as Mikel was his usual and Bert provided good defensive cover to Ashley and Terry who look sucidal at times. Even Cech at times :p Luiz and Bane were excellent as well. Only thing that needs to improve is instead of our defense holding the ball, should be midfield as time and again their passing led to mistakes and they along with Cech had to play long ball and lose posession in the end. Cech needs to stop trying that as well.

Archived