You Have To Be In It To Win It

DazRTaylor

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lots of great transfer deals there. You may not win this season - not that it's a bad thing to sustain the interest - but you should have a very good team for the future with those signings maturing. Good luck.

I hope so - When I do eventually leave (and will only be to a top club unless I get sacked), I want to leave a legacy.

Those are some huge signings- £33m! Great job in the league, CL football next year then!

I have sold 33 players in the seven months since I took over the club - that is how bloated the squad was.

I hope so - When I do eventually leave (and will only be to a top club unless I get sacked), I want to leave a legacy.

I have sold 33 players in the seven months since I took over the club - that is how bloated the squad was.

My word that's a lot to need to get rid of.

My word that's a lot to need to get rid of.

WERDER BREMEN

SEASON REVIEW 2016/17

League

Champions! A three way battle that went to the final game. I thought I had blown it when, with three matches left I was beaten 3-1 at Nurnburg. But two wins in the last 2 games saw us home. My squad grew together and gelled as the season went on. The youngsters in particular, really came of age.

bundesligaoverviewstage.png

German Cup

I beat FC Bayern on penalties (3-2), away from home, in the quarter final after a 0-0 draw. A thumping of 1860 Munich away in the semi final (5-0) sent me through to the final where we met Borussia Dortmund. A 0-0 draw meant penalties which I won 3-0. So a cup win too.

PLAYERS

Player of the Season

luizeduardooverviewprof.png

This central defender was immense throughout. Not only a great defender, but he is absolutely lethal from set pieces. A staggering 26 goals from 38 appearances makes him look like a striker stats wise. He even scored two hat tricks! But his heading is second to none. I made him penalty taker from January onwards as his stat had risen considerably. He repaid me with 4 goals from 4 spot kicks. Also note he only got 2 yellow cards all season. That few for a centre back is superb.

Special Mention

sebastinfrutosoverviewp.png

Another fabulous season from Frutos, who now lists me as his favourite person.

The Rest

Édgar Félix was a huge disappointment. He was just awful in the first half of the season. The first game after the winter break saw him bag a hat trick and I thought the corner had been turned. However, it was a false dawn. More goalless games followed until he got a season ending ankle injury. I am seriously thinking of offloading him.

The Future

I can see myself signing a new striker otherwise I wont be after any big signings this summer. My squad is young (average age of 22) and talented and whilst I am a little light on depth in areas, it is not a concern. As a result, I will concentrate on signing some players for the future. I wont be applying for jobs anywhere else but if a massive club come in for me then I will consider it - otherwise I fancy a crack at the Champions League with Werder Bremen.

FORMER CLUB WATCH

SVV Jahn 2000 Regensburg - Finished 16th in the 2nd Division and were relegated after a 2-1 aggregate loss to Duisburg in the relegation/promotion playoff. Lost 3-0 away to Kiel in the first round of the German Cup. So a pretty miserable season all round!

Santa Clara - 7th place in the Portuguese top flight. Excellent season in the cups too. Reached the semi final of the League Cup before losing 3-1 at Pacos Ferreira. They also reached the Portuguese Cup final and met Braga. They drew 1-1 after extra time and won it 5-4 in sudden death penalties! Fantastic season for Santa Clara.

Sporting Lokeren - Finished 12th out of 16 in the regular 30 round season. And this is where Belgium's league system proves itself to be mental. They won their mini group in the playoffs and met Gent in the playoff semi final. They won this 2-1 on aggregate. They then met the 4th placed side, STVV and won 2-1 on aggregate to qualify for the Europa League. So the 12th placed side played the 4th placed side for Europe. Nuts. They lost 2-1 at home to STVV in the Belgian Cup.

Anderlecht - Retained the league title by 1 point from Standard. Once again they reached the Belgian Cup final but this time they lost 2-1 to Genk. In Europe, they were grouped with Chelsea and once again Chelsea knocked 7 past them. Surprisingly, this proved to be Anderlecht's only group loss and they progressed behind Chelsea into the knockout rounds. They lost 6-3 on aggregate to Lyon in the first knockout round. Another solid season.

Frutos is a legend.

He is indeed :D He misses Yacuzzi though...

Great job to win the title in your debut season! That's an insane goal return for a defender with only 14 for jumping.

It is isn't it? My Fifth year running I have had a centre half get double figures for goals.

By the way, I have sold Édgar Félix to AC Milan for £20m. He just didn't suit German football so it was a good deal. Especially as he cost just over £5m a year ago.

Great title win, i'm still getting over seeing your centre half notch 26 goals, i'm delighted when any of mine get near double figures!

Interesting to see Felix struggle a bit, he looks great but i'm sure we've all had those players who look the part but don't live upto expectations. Personally i'd be tempted to give him another chance but at least you will get some good money for him if he does go.

EDIT: Just noticed you have sold him, nevermind.

Also, hoping you stay at Werder to see what you can do with this squad in the Champions League.

Great title win, i'm still getting over seeing your centre half notch 26 goals, i'm delighted when any of mine get near double figures!

Interesting to see Felix struggle a bit, he looks great but i'm sure we've all had those players who look the part but don't live upto expectations. Personally i'd be tempted to give him another chance but at least you will get some good money for him if he does go.

EDIT: Just noticed you have sold him, nevermind.

Also, hoping you stay at Werder to see what you can do with this squad in the Champions League.

I am quite happy at Werder so cant see myself moving.

I am interested to see if Luiz Eduardo was a flash in the pan or if he can get a load this year too :D

WERDER BREMEN

SEASON PREVIEW 2017/18

So, back into the Champions League! My expectations for the season are, as always, below:

Season Expectations

Champions League - Board expect the group stage only. As we have already qualified for that, I am aiming for the quarter finals.

League - The board expect a title challenge. Same with me. With the extra CL games, retaining may not be possible but time will tell.

German Cup - The board expect the semi finals. I don't care how we do.

German Super Cup - Board dont care. I do as it is a one off game and a trophy is always nice. So I expect victory.

TRANSFER WINDOW

I wont do a section on sales as the only sale of note was Édgar Félix to AC Milan for £20m. A few fringe players were also sold but they would not get near the first team anyway. I am looking for a replacement but no one wants to come to Germany!

Players In

Hot Prospects

Aldo Alonso - 18 year old Mexican winger signed for £1.5m from Chivas. I was wary due to the failure of Édgar Félix but it is only a small amount of money.

Bob Klein - 18 year old American striker signed for £850,000 from Chivas USA. Looks classy.

Jean-Jacques Agape - One of the finest prospects I have ever seen. Only 15 years old and has the makings of a superstar. An absolute steal from Montpellier for £1.8m for this attacking midfielder.

Jorge García - Liga de Quito allowed this beast to leave for £2.5m. Can play either as an attacking midfileder or up front. The first Ecuadorian I have ever signed. Random but ultimately useless fact.

Oldrich Chvojka - Left back from Slavia Prague whom my scouts and coaches rate very highly. Cost a mere £50,000.

Ulrich Halstenberg - One of the brightest young talents in the German game. Dortmund allowed the 17 year old attacking midfielder to join me for only £2.2m.

Vince Taylor - £500,000 signing from Crystal Palace for this 16 year old central midfielder.

Excellent season at Bremen, both on the pitch and off :thup:

With the average age of the squad being only 22, you've got an excellent chance to dominant the Bundesliga for several seasons. Should be pretty decent in Europe too, especially with the signing of Trimboli; he should be a nailed-on 20 goals a season striker.

Something is wrong when a centre half scores that many goals. I'd change my corner and/or set piece routine to make it more realistic. This would deffo feel like taking advantage of something for me. Probably not by intent, but it sure seems like it in results.

Something is wrong when a centre half scores that many goals. I'd change my corner and/or set piece routine to make it more realistic. This would deffo feel like taking advantage of something for me. Probably not by intent, but it sure seems like it in results.

I'd feel the same, personally. Up to you though, Daz, it's your game. :)

Last time I had a 15-20 goal centreback was on FM10, which basically happened because the regen centrebacks were a bit buggy and most of the good ones were rubbish in the air. I had a guy with pretty much 20/20/20 for strength/jumping/heading so he cleaned up unless I deliberately stopped the ball going to him. In the end I felt it was more realistic to leave him to it.

It is not up to us to make it more realistic - If that was the case, this forum would be just as anal and cliquey as the LLM one. Also, Pangaea would not have taken W&H to the brink of the Premier League. SnakeXe would not spend £60m on one player (this is Arsenal we are talking about). So, where do you call the line?

For the record, with no tweaking by me whatsoever, this same centre half has so far played 18 games and scored 5 goals. Is this realistic enough?

In FM11 I had a center half that scored over 25 goals with Sporting. It definitely took the realism out of the game but I could never break the top 2 anyway so I didn't care :D

It's up to the player, I no longer sort my corners out, just have them all mixed and whatever they automatically are, this way I still score the odd one but not an unrealistic amount, which is nice! :)

Much better offer. Definitely worth considering, it's a very tough call. If the transfer budget was higher, then I would definitely take it. You'll need to have sound investment if you're going to be able to compete with Barcelona and Real Madrid, otherwise you'll struggle to finish any higher than third.

That all being said, if it's still going well in Germany, why leave? :)

Much better offer. Definitely worth considering, it's a very tough call. If the transfer budget was higher, then I would definitely take it. You'll need to have sound investment if you're going to be able to compete with Barcelona and Real Madrid, otherwise you'll struggle to finish any higher than third.

That all being said, if it's still going well in Germany, why leave? :)

I think I will decline Atletico Madrid - the squad needs too much investment and the now sacked manager spent a fortune on mediocrity.

Have you achieved everything you wanted to/feel you could at Werder? If so, take it, if not, I'd hang around.

Only thing left to win with them is the Champions League so yes, I think so.

WERDER BREMEN

WINTER BREAK UPDATE

Champions League

After a really tough start (4-0 loss away to Arsenal), we rallied to pip Arsenal by a point, despite the Gunners being unbeaten.

uefachampionsleagueoveru.png

We have a very winnable tie against Athletic Bilbao in the first knockout round.

League

No real dramas, sitting comfortably in 2nd, behind FC Bayern.

bundesligaoverviewstage.png

German Cup

We are through to the fourth round to play Bochum away after comfortable wins in the first three rounds (3-0 away to Union Berlin, 3-0 away to Kiel and 3-0 at home to Ingolstadt).

TRANSFER WINDOW

None due in and none due out. Will update if this changes.

darrentaylornewsinbox.png

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR

1146-6.jpg

I would normally put a picture of their stadium as I have joined a new club. But I cant as they have moved stadium during this save. They have moved to the Perryman Stadium with a capacity of 49,387.

Staff

I can only assume there was a mass walk out when Alan Shearer got fired. No Assistant Manager, only four coaches, four scouts but five physios! A mass recruitment session is in order.

Squad

Some great players here. The likes of Luka Modric, Gareth Bale and Alex Sandro are class but it seems, like all the clubs I have managed before, the squad is bloated. I feel a bloodbath is coming.

COMPETITIONS

Champions League

Into the knockout rounds after finished 2nd in their group. We face Lyon.

League

Currently 5th. I am charged with qualifying once more for the Champions League.

barclayspremierleagueov.png

F. A. Cup

Drawn at home to Championship outfit Queens Park Rangers in the third round.

League Cup

Already out. Lost 2-1 at home to Stoke City in the quarter final.

Hmmm, tricky decision. I'd say it depends on whether you want to stick around and win the CL with Werder. How are Spurs doing in the Premiership? Would you say they're on a par with Werder or is there work to be done? They look like they have some financial backing.

Archived