You Have To Be In It To Win It

DazRTaylor

Indeed, I once turned Ipswich into a colony of Rio (well, if up to 8-9 can be considered that) over a couple of years, because as I was trying to break into the top half of the Premier League, I was suddenly able to go for a load of young Brazilians, who were still relatively low-enough rep for their abilities, and as I had no chance yet of getting similarly good players established in europe, that did lead to a bit of a Brazilian influx. It was simply the logical thing to do.

Same here. Yacuzzi was not wanted by anyone other than Lokeren, when I was there, so he came to me. His class told and then the big clubs were interested. If you are prepared to spend time making them into superstars, there are dozens of quality youngsters available relatively cheaply.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great progress made :thup:

Tough break losing Yacuzzi. I hate it when chairmen interfere! Looks like you've made some adequate replacements though :thup:.

They are doing well - though to be honest I am waiting for a big club to come in for me.

Wow, a lot has happened since I last read this thread.

Great move to Anderlecht and looks like you are working your magic already, some of those players you signed are fantastic.

Only downside apears to be your chairman!

He is a total ****!!! :)

As I say above, I am waiting for a big club to come in for me, from a 'Big Five' league. I have already been hotly tipped as the favourite to land the Lokomotiv Moscow & Besiktas job, though I wasn't offered them. Nor would I have accepted them to be honest as IMO it would of been a sideways step.

Bummer to lose a player like that, but at least you got good money for him and with more to come if he performs well. Chairmen can be a royal pain in the bum. I lost what it later turned out was a wonderkid in the making for 600,000. That was fun. He now captains Leeds. Another guy got 'stolen' for 2.5M, but was later sold on so we did make about 5 million combined, which was not bad to be honest.

ANDERLECHT

MID SEASON REVIEW 2015/16

UEFA Champions League

uefachampionsleagueover.png

After the tough group we got, we did more than I expected. We scored 17 goals which is superb. Won all three home games but only 1 point away. We have drawn Chelsea in the next round so I expect exactly nothing.

League

jupilerproleagueovervie.png

As you can see, it is plain sailing. No worries whatsoever.

Remember when I said Lokeren were relegation candidates? Well look at the table. Wtf do I know? They are 6th and even that is with 4 defeats in their last 6 games.

Belgian Cup

We are in the quarter finals and lead Genk 3-0 on aggregate after the first leg. It seems my reserves are too good for everyone else too.

Transfer Window

Players In

Very happy with my squad, so just the one new signing:

neioverviewprofile.png

Players Out

Several fringe players leaving after whinging about lack of match action, plus one first teamer. Pierrick Cros I signed at the end of the transfer window a few months ago for free. I have now sold him for £3.5m. Not bad for 4 months work. Kardequinho continues to improve so will be my new number 1.

pierrickcrosoverviewpro.png

You've certainly got the eye for South American talent ;)

Unfortunately, the departure of Yacuzzi was inevitable; that's a massive amount of cash for a Belgian club to receive, and would take a lot of bottle for the chairman to reject a £14m bid. At least you've brought in some solid replacements though, and the results aren't suffering either.

Excellent job in Europe too. Knocking out At Madrid and Hamburg is no mean feat :thup:

You've certainly got the eye for South American talent ;)

Unfortunately, the departure of Yacuzzi was inevitable; that's a massive amount of cash for a Belgian club to receive, and would take a lot of bottle for the chairman to reject a £14m bid. At least you've brought in some solid replacements though, and the results aren't suffering either.

Excellent job in Europe too. Knocking out At Madrid and Hamburg is no mean feat :thup:

It looks like an obsession but the players are so cheap in comparison to their European counterparts. And there is so much talent it is ridiculous!

Thanks on Europe - my home is a fortress :D

Romario is an absolute beast. Did he start his career at Vitoria? I know which team it is when I get told. Try and sign him permanently.

I have tried but he was only interested in a loan deal. Good memory re Vitoria, his history is below. Note his average rating at Anderlecht - easily his most productive loan spell to date.

romriohistorycareerstat.png

Romario just won the Ballon d'Or on my game I seem to remember! Definitely snap him up permanently if possible.

As for the Yacuzzi sale - I'd have sold him for that personally, never mind the chairman. How many players leave the Belgian league for that sort of money? Lukaku and Fellaini are the only ones in that ballpark.

Just played catch up on this thread, nice career there so far! Unfortunately, looks like you have a chairman in it for the money and little else.

Indeed. Cant see myself here for too long.

Romario just won the Ballon d'Or on my game I seem to remember! Definitely snap him up permanently if possible.

As for the Yacuzzi sale - I'd have sold him for that personally, never mind the chairman. How many players leave the Belgian league for that sort of money? Lukaku and Fellaini are the only ones in that ballpark.

He just wont come. :(

Not the point re the sale. Chairman allowed a player to go from under me and started a breakup of the squad.

Great first half of the season :thup:

Must say I do enjoy seeing these players you find, you certainly have an eye for talent!

I wish I could claim credit but my scouts are brilliant. I have 3 permanently scouting Argentina/Brazil/rest of South America. Costs a bit in fees and stuff on my expenditure sheet but it is worth it :thup:

ANDERLECHT

END OF SEASON REVIEW 2015/16

Well, another successful season!

Champions League

I came 2nd in my group, thus qualifying for the knockout round. We were paired with Chelsea, so knew it would be tough. We played out of our skin in the home leg but got absolutely battered in the return leg to come crashing back down to home. We did have 6 defenders out injured, but still no excuse for shipping so many.

League

Won at a canter. I am especially pleased with how many goals we score. My wingers are different class and they tie the full backs up in knots.

Two screenshots as before, the regular season round robin, then the Championship Group:

Belgian Cup

I retained the cup, my third in a row min Belgium, winning 2-1 after extra time, in the final against Standard.

Player of the Season

Sebastián Frutos has been sensational. Over 30 goals from the wing. Phenomenal.

Special Mention

Guillermo Suárez had massive boots to fill following the record sale of Cristian Yacuzzi to Juventus. 26 goals in 36 goals more than repaid the £1.6m spent on him.

The Future

Where do I go from here? I fancy a crack in the "Big Five" leagues so hopefully something will come up.

One final thing to add: I have entered the Top Ten in the Belgian Hall of Fame, placed sixth.

So many South Americans! :D

Nice work winning the title as well. Although if you wanted to manage in Turkey, Russia, or Ukraine you probably can't get away with all those foreigners. Having managed in all 3 countries, albeit with the big clubs, they're all a pain to deal with the restrictions, but it's also very rewarding to succeed and develop very talented non-foreign players. :)

Well done on the winning the title :thup:

Maybe you could move to a bigger club in a country such as Holland(you can sign as many South Americans as you want there :p) before heading to one of the "big five" leagues. Although, there should be some interest in you from those league's after a good run the Champions League.

That loss to Chelsea reminds me of some of my own Champions League results

Yeah, I felt Faroese for a bit haha

So many South Americans! :D

Nice work winning the title as well. Although if you wanted to manage in Turkey, Russia, or Ukraine you probably can't get away with all those foreigners. Having managed in all 3 countries, albeit with the big clubs, they're all a pain to deal with the restrictions, but it's also very rewarding to succeed and develop very talented non-foreign players. :)

Well done on the winning the title :thup:

Maybe you could move to a bigger club in a country such as Holland(you can sign as many South Americans as you want there :p) before heading to one of the "big five" leagues. Although, there should be some interest in you from those league's after a good run the Champions League.

Germany would also suit you if you want to continue importing South Americans.

Thanks guys but as said before - it is purely for the cheapness and abundence of talent that they are with me. Notice they are all young - I can't afford the already established stars, I need to bring them on and the Europeans snub me.

FORMER CLUB WATCH

SVV Jahn 2000 Regensburg - Much improved on last season. Finished 10th in the German 2nd Division and 11 points clear of safety. Whereas last season they had a good run in the Europa League, this season they had merely the league to rely on, bar one match. They were eliminated in the 1st Round of the German Cup, away to Hertha Berlin.

Santa Clara - Another excelent season. Finished 6th. Reached the 3rd Round of the Portuguese Cup before losing 3-0 away to Académica. As with last season, they also reached the 3rd Phase of the League Cup, finishing 2nd in their group, behind Porto, thus going out.

Lokeren - Much to my surprise, they finished 6th. An excellent effort considering their troubles last year. Knockout of the Belgian Cup in the 7th Round by relegated Visé.

darrentaylornewsinboxi.png

WERDER BREMEN

Werder_Bremen.png

Weserstadion(2).jpg

Squad

I cant give you Assistant Reports yet. As I dont have an Assistant Manager! I have gone back to Anderlecht to poach my old sidekick. But my squad is as follows:

svwerderbremensquadplay.png

As they narrowly escaped relegation, the morale is rock bottom. A good pre season and some key signings (Frutos anyone?) should change that.

As per normal, I will give a full Season Preview in due course.

WERDER BREMEN

SEASON PREVIEW 2016/17

Two seasons ago, Werder Bremen were runners up in the Bundesliga. Last season, they found themselves in a relegation fight, which they eventually won and recovered to finish 13th. An embarrassing German Cup elimination at the hands of Kiel, who narrowly escaped relegation to the third tier, summed up their season. So they recruited me.

When I took over 3 weeks ago, the squad was bloated, both the first team and the youth squad. 44 players in the Under 19's is around 20 too many so I simply released a load. The first team had too many mediocre players on big money. So I released a lot, plus sold more. I raised over £50m in player sales, also saving over £300k per week in wages. Most of this budget, both transfer kitty and wages, has now been used.

TRANSFERS UPDATE

Players In

Marquee Signings

Roque Perniá Attacking midfielder signed for a huge £21m from Vélez Sarsfield. I am fully confident this guy will be a superstar. Already rated 4.5* CA by my coaches.

Édgar Félix Young Mexican forward signed from Swiss outfit Zurich for a bargain £5.25m. Rated 4.5* CA by my scouts.

Sebastián Frutos Needs no introduction. Puzzling thing was, after I scouted him, my scout said a bid of £50,000 should be accepted. So I laughably offered £100,000 which was accepted. Surely a bug?! His face value at the time was £6m! Still I am not complaining.

First Team Signings

Pablo López Amercian centre back who can also cover as either full back. Signed for £3.6m from Buyuksehir Belediye in Turkey. I tried to sign him for Anderlecht last year but he declined in favour of Turkey.

Steven Davis Irish midfielder signed on a free transfer from Rangers. Will be a good squad player. Signed on a 12 month contract.

Volodymyr Balytskyi His transfer was arranged prior to my arrival. Signed on a free transfer from Metalist Kharkiv after his contract expired. Will be a good backup for Roque Perniá.

Hot Prospects

Max Arvizu Excellent looking American striker signed from New York for £2.5m. Will be a back up to Édgar Félix this season.

Juan Pablo Fuentes Young, versatile Argentine defender signed for £1m from Instituto.

Ricardo Alexandre Young Portuguese who can play on either wing. Signed on a free transfer after his release by Leixoes. 50/50 if he makes it.

TACTICS

I have always stated the formation I use, but not shown it. Below is the formation I have used at all four clubs prior to Werder Bremen:

svwerderbrementacticsov.png

The formation above uses a standard defensive unit with a DM providing cover. Two central midfielders aid both the defence and the forwards but they key to this working are both wingers and the striker. Two wingers with pace, good crossing and dribbling skills mean goals and lots of them. A high finishing attribute on the forward should convert them.

svwerderbrementacticsov.png

I am going to try the formation above for Werder Bremen as I want to utilse Marko Marin on the left, Roque Perniá in the middle and Sebastián Frutos on the right. With those three, Édgar Félix should flourish.

Great move to Werder!

Looks like some good signings there to get Werder back on track.

Thanks mate :D

I used the final bit of my transfer budget to sign this young French chap. What a prospect!!! Can't believe Lyon let him go. I had to structure the payments over 48 months to be able to afford him:

joelmarquesoverviewprof.png

Wow. And Marques is amazing.

He ain't bad is he? :D

There were two more deals prior to the transfer window closing. I sold Aleksandar Ignjovski to Dortmund as his contract had only 12 months to run. This netted £6m. I was therefore delighted to sign, permanently, for a snip at £1.7m:

romriooverviewprofile.png

Going to Bremen should be an excellent career move, I think you had done all you could achieve at Anderlecht.

I'm looking forward to seeing how many Central/South Americans you bring to Germany; certainly the 'loose' squad restrictions will be an advantage to your transfer policy, although you may come somewhat if you ever move on to Italy or Russia :D

Looking at the players you've brought in, I can't see any reason why you won't be challenging for honours straight away, although signing Frutos for £100k does seem a bit like a bug to me.

WERDER BREMEN

MID SEASON REVIEW

With no European football this season, there is just the league and German Cup to report on. I must say, how good it is to be back in a league without any league split nonsense.

League

Good first half to the season. We are currently 2nd and going well. FC Bayern 5 points clear though and they beat us comfortably at their place, the 1-0 scoreline flattering us. I can't see anyone catching them to be honest.

bundesligaoverviewstage.png

German Cup

I have beaten non league Kickers Wurzburg (5-1 away), Hertha Berlin (1-0 away) and Hoffenheim (4-0 at home) to reach the quarter finals. Problem is, we have drawn FC Bayern away.

Transfer Window

I sold four fringe players for a total of £13m, reducing the wage bill by £93,000 per week in the process and also changed my season expectations from Top Half Finish to European Qualification, which yielded an extra £10m. So I had a little bit of cash to spend.

Players In

First Team Players

Only two first team new signings as I felt my squad is quite strong already. To be able to afford both, I had to structure the deals over 48 months.

Marc-André ter Stegen Aged just 24, this keeper should be the number 1 at Bremen for the next decade. Will replace Tim Weise, who is 35 and out of contract in the summer. £20m signing.

Najib Carneiro Exciting young French midfield general. Surprisingly not capped at senior level yet, he cost a hefty £33m but he will be a legend, I am sure.

Hot Prospects

Abdou Berthé £600,000 from ES Sétif. Versatile winger.

Mehmet Kocak Exciting attacking midfielder, signed for £2m from Rennes.

Bobby Naplah Liberian right back signed for a bargain £100k.

Stanislas Pucheu 16 year old defensive midfielder signed for £2.5m from Guingamp. Impressive stats for his tender age.

Cristian Rojas £2m from Paraguayan side Olimpia. Defensive or dentral midfielder.

Suat Kansoy £625,000 from Vitesse Arnhem for this young Turkish keeper. With Wiese coming to the end of his contract and Kardequinho always injured, this guy will be the new back up.

Players Review

Luiz Eduardo 19 games played. 13 goals. Yes, THIRTEEN goals from central defence! Having a barnstorming season.

Marko Marin 13 goals in 20 games from the German winger. Having a great season.

Édgar Felix A massive disappointment. He has really struggled. Only 6 goals in 19 games is simply not good enough. The fact a central defender has scored twice as much as he has says it all.

Going to Bremen should be an excellent career move, I think you had done all you could achieve at Anderlecht.

I'm looking forward to seeing how many Central/South Americans you bring to Germany; certainly the 'loose' squad restrictions will be an advantage to your transfer policy, although you may come somewhat if you ever move on to Italy or Russia :D

Looking at the players you've brought in, I can't see any reason why you won't be challenging for honours straight away, although signing Frutos for £100k does seem a bit like a bug to me.

Definitely agree re Anderlect. The Double two years running was a tad boring.

See the transfer window re transfer policy and the nationalities ;)

Good call - team has gelled nicely. My front 4 are quality though Édgar Félix is struggling somewhat.

Not doing to bad this season, A run of form may see you top Bayern to the title

I hope you're right but I cant see it. Bayern are head and shoulders above the rest of us.

Archived