FM 2012: Manchester United team guide - CHAMP19NS and the most decorated club in England!

Fabio MVP

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Berbatov hatrick? Blooming hell thats a rare site. Was he feeling alright? Not like him to put that much effort in is it?

So bizarre! You wouldn't have thought he'd done it 3 times in one season would you?

EDIT: Fletcher hardly got a look in in my demo game. Carrick actually was playing pretty well, Anderson played well, Giggs played well but surprisingly Cleverley was playing really well. He started to make himself my first 11 centre mid.

Has anyone got a good set up for defending corners? Most if not all the goals I have conceded have come from corners (the latest being both goals in a 2-1 loss against Liverpool despite me taking the lead) :(

I don't seem to be conceding any from corners. I'll have a look later and see if it's luck or my system. My main problem is De Gea's positioning, he's not closing down attackers and stands in the middle of the goal when the attacker's coming in from the touch line.

De Gea has been great for me so far, no goals conceded in the nine competitive matches I've played this season. Only slight problem is his rushing out stat (4), lots of times he could've just come to the edge of his area to scoop the ball up but instead he made Vidic, Rio or Jones play the ball out for a throw.

Just had my 1st real look at the current staff on the demo and decided to work out who is best for what area (based on number of stars).

Having looked through everyone there is a few that i plan on getting rid of straight away and replacing with better staff:

Casper / Hawkins & Clegg.

I also only want to keep one of either mulvey / whelan or martin to use on the ball control section as all are 4* (this is as back up to mcguinness who is 4.5*). Does anyone know much about the staff and which of these if any is likely to get better or is worth keeping out of the 3.

cheers

Cheers for all the posts guys.

I don't tend to have any sentiment with some of the current players, I'll quite happily sell berbatov, evra, ferdy, anderson, park, valencia, carrick etc.. to give me some decent funds to get a long term united side of my own making in the game.

Anyway, just interested in giving my opinions on players I've signed and asking for others' on similar/same players:

Andre Ayew is brill, inexpensive, a must buy - the number of 'bossed the midfield' with fletcher is amazing

K Papadopoulos - sow starter but good for the centre def or centre mid positons (see notes on my formation)

Sven Bender - inconsistent for me in a centre mid with defensive outlook position

Doumbia - amazing as striker, must buy

Gerard Deulofeu - ok but very good and scouts love him, might buy him as a hopeful future messi (bearing in mind my formation depends on the ability of my attacking wingers so thats where most of my money goes)

Luke Shaw (Southampton) - because I sell Evra I only have Fabio and then retrained Evans and Raphael so I want a long term replacement

Neymar - cost a fortune, not consistent enough for the money especially when utd have so many great forwards and i dont want to hurt wellbecks development - even more of a concern if you buy Doumbia and

Lucas Moura - cant say yet, got severe injury pretty much straight away but as I say, because of my formation I'd be willing to buy him because he can play both winger positions

My formation is the old Mr Hough formation of a 4 def, 2 mid, 2 att wing, 2 strikers. We score A LOT. but we concede a few too, we never concede the least in the league but we're about 4th best. The centre mids you can set as you like, I tend to set as closing down tackling 'dogs of war' a la Joe Royles Everton side.

More to come!

I don't tend to have any sentiment with some of the current players, I'll quite happily sell berbatov, evra, ferdy, anderson, park, valencia, carrick etc.. to give me some decent funds to get a long term united side of my own making in the game.

Anyway, just interested in giving my opinions on players I've signed and asking for others' on similar/same players:

Andre Ayew is brill, inexpensive, a must buy - the number of 'bossed the midfield' with fletcher is amazing

K Papadopoulos - sow starter but good for the centre def or centre mid positons (see notes on my formation)

Sven Bender - inconsistent for me in a centre mid with defensive outlook position

Gerard Deulofeu - ok but very good and scouts love him, might buy him as a hopeful future messi (bearing in mind my formation depends on the ability of my attacking wingers so thats where most of my money goes)

Luke Shaw (Southampton) - because I sell Evra I only have Fabio and then retrained Evans and Raphael so I want a long term replacement

Neymar - cost a fortune, not consistent enough for the money especially when utd have so many great forwards and i dont want to hurt wellbecks development - even more of a concern if you buy Doumbia and

Lucas Moura - cant say yet, got severe injury pretty much straight away but as I say, because of my formation I'd be willing to buy him because he can play both winger positions

My formation is the old Mr Hough formation of a 4 def, 2 mid, 2 att wing, 2 strikers. We score A LOT. but we concede a few too, we never concede the least in the league but we're about 4th best. The centre mids you can set as you like, I tend to set as closing down tackling 'dogs of war' a la Joe Royles Everton side.

More to come!

Sven Bender: used on my game as a ball winning midfielder and has an average rating of 7.60 after 9 games. also has 1 goal and 2 assists. seems pretty good on mine and decent back up for fletcher. I would be tempted though to buy busquets instead as he is apparently avail for about 12.5m.

Having looked at the players you plan on selling and bringing in i personally think some of these are a little strange. anderson is just as good as ayew. evra & ferdinand are both 1st choice players still. obviously its your game to do as you please but i would not sell these unless better is available which is not easy with evra and rio.

Just had my 1st real look at the current staff on the demo and decided to work out who is best for what area (based on number of stars).

Having looked through everyone there is a few that i plan on getting rid of straight away and replacing with better staff:

I also only want to keep one of either mulvey / whelan or martin to use on the ball control section as all are 4* (this is as back up to mcguinness who is 4.5*). Does anyone know much about the staff and which of these if any is likely to get better or is worth keeping out of the 3.

cheers

Been doing some more research into staff and found some decent replacements for some of these:

Jim Blyth - GK coach of 4.5*

Di Salvo - fitness coach of 5* and ayestaran fitness coach of 4.5*

all of these are free agents at the start of the game, dont want high wages and are better than the likes of clegg / fettis & hawkins

Just signed Nick Barmby as player/coach for a few grand because I wanted him as a tutor for Jack Barmby but the game doesn't give me the option. Pah!

Liking the look of James McCarthy, could be an excellent playmaker if you get him early and get his determination up with some tutoring + some physical training to get his strength up.

gareth

anderson has never played well for me and doesnt have the right stats for the mid i want, ayew definitely performs better

ferdinand is elderly and i dislike him otherwise so it fits with my game plan to get rid of him

evra IS excellent but it hasnt affected my game to get rid of him and admittedly a bi part of my game is to replace established players with the next big thing and see if I can still win

anyway, cheers for your thought

More to come!

How much did you get Lucas Moura for?

Who do you guys think the best tutors are for Pogba and Januzaj?

Also is it worth getting people like Macheda, Smalling, Jones, Welbeck, Cleverley, Fabio and Rafael tutored?

Fletcher to tutor Pogba. Hernandez to tutor Macheda, Vida to tutor Jones, Rio to tutor Chris, Evra to tutor Fabio.

I offered £30m for Gotze but Dortmund came back asking for £67m. I tried to get Eriksen instead but Ajax asked for £30m. Any suggestions for a good, relatively cheap (less than £30m), young, AMC?

Ganso? Douglas costa?

just thought id share my charity shield highlights :)

cannot seem to get the embedded thing to work (no idea what im doing either) so its just a link to the vid! :(

must say i do like the 4th goal! :)

Very nice win.

Just beat Juve 5-0 in my last pre-season game. Nani looks like a god in this game on either side as an inside forward. Him and Young took them to the cleaners with Nani bagging a hat-trick.

KUTGW mate. :thup:

Who the hell is Gnaso Fabio? :D

Fantastic work with the thread so far though fella. Not sure if I'll be in here that much once the full game is out.

Ganso! :D

Sorry to hear that mate. You'll be missed in here as you're quality poster.

I gathered mate :D

Too many game options for me! I'll probs have a United save, but I quite fancy the idea of a save with Tottenham (something different in the EPL), and will certainly be doing one with Bayern. Then there's the possibility of Napoli... I give up :o :D

I gathered mate :D

Too many game options for me! I'll probs have a United save, but I quite fancy the idea of a save with Tottenham (something different in the EPL), and will certainly be doing one with Bayern. Then there's the possibility of Napoli... I give up :o :D

Hahaha. :D Good luck with any of those though. : )

Anyone else notice now when you have a Backroom Meeting, your Coaches make suggestions regarding training players, getting them to learn moves etc but nowhere now does it tell you if this is a good or bad idea. I was sure in FM11 you got feedback along the lines of Strongly Agrees, Agrees, Disagrees or Strongly Disagrees for such events. Now I have no clue whether to put Jones on a program to improve his passing or have Rafael knock balls past his opponent or have Rooney work on his Composure.

Any suggestions?

I definitively miss that.

Has anyone tried signing Gotze? Just wondering how much you can get him for. If I can get him at a decent price (may pay over 48 months), I might sign him up and Srna, making my final team as the following...

GK (Goalkeeper, Defence) - De Gea, Lindegaard

DR (Full Back, Automatic) - Rafael, Srna

DC (Central Defender, Stopper) - Vidic, Smalling

DC (Ball Playing Defender, Cover) - Ferdinand, Jones, Evans

DL (Full Back, Automatic) - Evra, Fabio

MC (Ball Winning Midfielder, Defence) - Fletcher, Carrick

MC (Central Midfielder, Support) - Anderson, Giggs, Cleverley

AMR (Winger, Attack) - Nani, Valencia, Park

AML (Winger, Attack) - Gotze, Young

ST (Deep Lying Forward, Support) - Rooney, Berbatov

ST (Advanced Forward, Attack) - Hernandez, Welbeck, Owen

Thoughts and opinions? Didn't want to sell anyone and will probably buy Ganso at the end of the season in the full game to replace Giggs. Also, Jones will be in the starting lineup more often as the season progresses.

I got Ayew for MLC. Rest are poached younsters. Owen is scoring for me from DLS, support since Rooney is tending his knee.

The same roles and duties I use except that I use Limited Defender (Stopper) instead of yours Central Defender (Stopper). I would only swap Smalling and Jones as IMO Jones is more like Vidić (good in the air and aggressive on the ball) while Smalling is similar to Rio (not as good in the air as the former two, but more composed and better with the ball at their feet) mind you that's just how I see it. :D

In all FM i have trained Rio for DM too. He have excelled there too. Jones is in similar mould, a ball playing defender.

Has anyone got a good set up for defending corners? Most if not all the goals I have conceded have come from corners (the latest being both goals in a 2-1 loss against Liverpool despite me taking the lead) :(

Yet to concede goal from set piece except one via free kick.

DCL/R- Taller player

DR- near post

DL, MR- man mark

ML- edge

STL/R- forward (keeps the area clean)

Rest at back.

cheers

Did same. You can check out good staff section in sticky threads? Ayestaran is good fitness coach. Biscotti too. Cannoli & Chambelain are other examples.

Well that is the first 2 matches played finally (competitive)....

3-1 victory over Man City. . . Cleverley, Hernandez, Nani scored

3-0 victory over QPR . . . Hernandez*2, Anderson

QPR should have been a walkover but hit the woodwork 3 times as well. Bah. But in terms of the competition. Arsenal, Liverpool, City only got 1 point, and Chelsea lost... so got an advantage already

edit:

It is official woodwork loves me. 5-0 win, but hit woodwork twice... 12 clear cut chances away to sunderland oO

Great thread here Fabio!

I gotta say, the determination of the squad is just simply amazing.

Led 2-1 in the community shield, until aguero suddenly grabbed a goal in 90+3 mins.

I thought that was it, it will be settled on penalties.

but decided to just go all out before the ref actually end the game, and I managed to get the winning goal in 90+5 mins!!!

up against fulham and losing 2-0 away from home. for some reason, my team just gave an absolutely poor first half showing.

gave a good little hair dryer treatment; got them fired up, went all out attacking and managed to claw back 2 goals in 5 mins (60th & 65th).

decided to just go all out overload attacking and in the 91st min, rafael poped up with the winner for me:D

played 13 games so far; won all! conceding just 5 goals.

premier league: 8wins, no points dropped, scored 26 and conceding just 2.

CANT WAIT FOR THE FULL GAME TO BE OUT(:

Unlikelystory

It was stupid money, about 50m over 48 months with a little upfront. Wouldn't pay that for him in my real save but wanted to see what he was like but then he got injured straight away!

The youngsters I buy are old enough to play because they're on their way to being world class and I love creating my team rather than winning with someone elses - doesn't always work but there's a lot of satisfaction when it does!

Just finished my 1st full play with the demo and pretty impressed with the squad and the performance. Bought in only 2 semi expensive players in shaqiri £6.5m and bender £9.5m as cover for young and fletcher. Also signed Vrsaljko for £1m as cover for Rafael. Demo went pretty well having won every game in the league apart from 2 draws. I also topped my champions league group that was shared with napoli, marseille and leverkusen.

Having played through this now and tried to use some of the youngsters i am definitely going to sell off a few when the full game comes out as i did not really need them. I will definitely sell Kuszczak, Carrick, Gibson, Carrick, Park, Owen, Diouf & Berbatov as the other players are already better than these and i can use the money to buy one or 2 top prospects.

I am definitely going to stick to the 4-2-2-2 formation also. Both Nani and Young were outstanding as Winger on attack duty with nani scoring 11 goals in 15 starts and young getting 12 assists, 3 goals, 7 mom awards in 21 starts and a rating of 7.71.

The only issue i have is getting Rooney to perform. The tactic i created seemed to be doing well but Rooney is a little hit and miss playing as a deep lying forward. I notice from phelans report on rooney that he believes his best role is a target man on attack duty (i would assume with ball to feet). Has anyone tried and had success with this?

Anyway here is a screen of the final table after demo.

Screenshot2011-10-11at091434.png

The only issue i have is getting Rooney to perform. The tactic i created seemed to be doing well but Rooney is a little hit and miss playing as a deep lying forward. I notice from phelans report on rooney that he believes his best role is a target man on attack duty (i would assume with ball to feet). Has anyone tried and had success with this?

I saw this in Phelen's report too but I chose to ignore it. I don't believe rooney would work well as a target man. DLF works well, as does Advanced forward.

Enjoying the original utd squad. Into september now, no transfer dealings done at all. And the team remains unbeaten. Following the wins against QPR and Sunderland we kept up the good form.

Wigan > 2-0 Victory with Nani and Rooney scoring. 19 shots to their 1. Should have been better.

Aston Villa > 6-0 Victory with Vidic, Hernandez*2, Rooney, Young and Welbeck scoring. . . Young got Man of the Match against his old team for his goal and 2 assists. Was his first Utd goal :D

Archived