FM 2012: Manchester United team guide - CHAMP19NS and the most decorated club in England!

Fabio MVP

Just got around to playing a few friendlies tonight, game is looking very good. Been mostly messing around with a few different formations so far. Only transfers have been Valencia out for £14m and Junior Hoilet, whose a player I really like IRL, in for £10m. He's very versatile in that he can play AMR, AML, AMC and even up front so a good young back-up for Young and Nani. He just scored a cracker against Internacional. The amount of goals from corners looks to be a bit of a worry as others have said, but definitely looking forward to the full game now.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

think your mad for dropping chicarito after that match.... he destroyed that defence time and time again.. the only thing that was missing was a finish... and frankly, that happens sometimes and everyone should know that its more important to be getting the chances than scoring them.. the goals will come eventually...

and id rather not risk upsetting the most prolific scorer in the team

Anyone managed to get Ravel to accept tutoring? moody bugger doesnt seem to want to work with anyone. Trying various players with approach type differing but none of them worked so far. Still, all good data collection. Not even played a match, hell im still on day 1 playing with things

Started with United and signed Carlos Tevez (just to see if he'd come), Andre Ayew and Marek Hamsik. Spent too much on Tevez because I wasn't planning on actually letting the transfer go through, but I did and that's a £25m mistake I won't be making in the full game, even if he has given me a selection headache with his form in pre-season. I don't know what I could have got Ayew for, I just paid his £11.25m release fee to make it easy, and at the same time I was trying to see if I could afford Hamsik. Napoli negotiated up to £37m, so I was going to withdraw, but then it let me ask the board to sign him, so I did and I'm not sure what they actually spent.

Sold Michael Carrick to Sunderland for £8m and Anderson to Malaga for £9m.

So far the friendlies have been walkovers. Trouble is I've got 4 strikers but I play a 4-1-2-2-1, and with Rooney, Hernandez and Tevez all scoring goals I don't know how I'm going to keep them all happy.

I was asked that question three times in the press conference after he signed. Nothing in the news about him, though.

Like I said, I'll probably start a new save when I get the full game, and I won't sign him on that, just amused me to do it on the demo. Besides, Tevez hates Manchester, so really he should be determined to move out of the area and probably the country. Can they make it so a player will only sign for teams in a warm country?

Well finally started playing matches. Good start to pre-season with my tactic.

Playing a 4-4-2 using CMs and AML/R and been effective so far. Ok, it only been the reserves and Antwerp but I won 6-0 and 7-0 respectively.

Be interesting to see how it holds up. Rio out for 2 weeks so got to decide on which youth to take that position in upcoming friendlies. Though next match will be played by the "backups" anyways. Will update when I managed to get into teh actual season though

I prefer to play with a lone striker and 2 inside forwards. Given the reaches I have at the club, I have a very good options at the ST and AMR. Retraining few to be AMC.

Any suggestion for the AML inside forward, other than having Munian or Neymar. Morrison is good there, but young. Young remains the solitary option.

i brought in Kranjcar on loan.

Anyone else notice now when you have a Backroom Meeting, your Coaches make suggestions regarding training players, getting them to learn moves etc but nowhere now does it tell you if this is a good or bad idea. I was sure in FM11 you got feedback along the lines of Strongly Agrees, Agrees, Disagrees or Strongly Disagrees for such events. Now I have no clue whether to put Jones on a program to improve his passing or have Rafael knock balls past his opponent or have Rooney work on his Composure.

Any suggestions?

Well my decision to dump Chicharito paid off in the Game against Liverpool. Take a Bow Danny Welbeck:

[video=youtube_share;3w0k_d3VvV4]

That'll earn him instant Legend Status at the Club I reckon. Always lovely to score at the Kop End as well. I simply refuse to lose at Anfield in Football Manager games. I hate the Scouse.

That is awesome. :cool:

think your mad for dropping chicarito after that match.... he destroyed that defence time and time again.. the only thing that was missing was a finish... and frankly, that happens sometimes and everyone should know that its more important to be getting the chances than scoring them.. the goals will come eventually...

I fully agree with welshace though.

Yep, you are correct. Would be nice if the player descriptions were amended so they actually went by CA/PA.

I' love for it to function that way as well.

Has anyone tried signing Gotze? Just wondering how much you can get him for. If I can get him at a decent price (may pay over 48 months), I might sign him up and Srna, making my final team as the following...

GK (Goalkeeper, Defence) - De Gea, Lindegaard

DR (Full Back, Automatic) - Rafael, Srna

DC (Central Defender, Stopper) - Vidic, Smalling

DC (Ball Playing Defender, Cover) - Ferdinand, Jones, Evans

DL (Full Back, Automatic) - Evra, Fabio

MC (Ball Winning Midfielder, Defence) - Fletcher, Carrick

MC (Central Midfielder, Support) - Anderson, Giggs, Cleverley

AMR (Winger, Attack) - Nani, Valencia, Park

AML (Winger, Attack) - Gotze, Young

ST (Deep Lying Forward, Support) - Rooney, Berbatov

ST (Advanced Forward, Attack) - Hernandez, Welbeck, Owen

Thoughts and opinions? Didn't want to sell anyone and will probably buy Ganso at the end of the season in the full game to replace Giggs. Also, Jones will be in the starting lineup more often as the season progresses.

Has anyone tried signing Gotze? Just wondering how much you can get him for. If I can get him at a decent price (may pay over 48 months), I might sign him up and Srna, making my final team as the following...

GK (Goalkeeper, Defence) - De Gea, Lindegaard

DR (Full Back, Automatic) - Rafael, Srna

DC (Central Defender, Stopper) - Vidic, Smalling

DC (Ball Playing Defender, Cover) - Ferdinand, Jones, Evans

DL (Full Back, Automatic) - Evra, Fabio

MC (Ball Winning Midfielder, Defence) - Fletcher, Carrick

MC (Central Midfielder, Support) - Anderson, Giggs, Cleverley

AMR (Winger, Attack) - Nani, Valencia, Park

AML (Winger, Attack) - Gotze, Young

ST (Deep Lying Forward, Support) - Rooney, Berbatov

ST (Advanced Forward, Attack) - Hernandez, Welbeck, Owen

Thoughts and opinions? Didn't want to sell anyone and will probably buy Ganso at the end of the season in the full game to replace Giggs. Also, Jones will be in the starting lineup more often as the season progresses.

The same roles and duties I use except that I use Limited Defender (Stopper) instead of yours Central Defender (Stopper). I would only swap Smalling and Jones as IMO Jones is more like Vidić (good in the air and aggressive on the ball) while Smalling is similar to Rio (not as good in the air as the former two, but more composed and better with the ball at their feet) mind you that's just how I see it. :D

The same roles and duties I use except that I use Limited Defender (Stopper) instead of yours Central Defender (Stopper). I would only swap Smalling and Jones as IMO Jones is more like Vidić (good in the air and aggressive on the ball) while Smalling is similar to Rio (not as good in the air as the former two, but more composed and better with the ball at their feet) mind you that's just how I see it. :D

I was considering that too, however I would like Jones to replace Rio long term, as he does seem to have better potential than Smalling. I shall experiment and see what works.

Just seen in other posts that people can't seem to get a bid for Gotze accepted lower than £50m. I might leave that option as I never pay over the odds like that.

Chicharito can have his place back when he proves to me his finishing has improved and he won't squander so many clear chances. I blame him for dismal performances against teams we should beat easily. We ended up with draws where we should have won and could have done so easily if he found the target with the chances laid on a plate for him. At the end of the day he's only viewed by the coaching staff as 3rd best striker in the squad behind Rooney and Rossi, so perhaps I should give them a chance. Also you can't fault Welbeck's performance. Threw him in at the deepend against Liverpool and he run them ragged, nearly getting a hattrick. I think it pays to give players chances, if it doesn't work, might convince the dropped player to pull his finger out and try and prove a point to me.

Started with United and signed Carlos Tevez (just to see if he'd come), Andre Ayew and Marek Hamsik. Spent too much on Tevez because I wasn't planning on actually letting the transfer go through, but I did and that's a £25m mistake I won't be making in the full game, even if he has given me a selection headache with his form in pre-season. I don't know what I could have got Ayew for, I just paid his £11.25m release fee to make it easy, and at the same time I was trying to see if I could afford Hamsik. Napoli negotiated up to £37m, so I was going to withdraw, but then it let me ask the board to sign him, so I did and I'm not sure what they actually spent.

Sold Michael Carrick to Sunderland for £8m and Anderson to Malaga for £9m.

So far the friendlies have been walkovers. Trouble is I've got 4 strikers but I play a 4-1-2-2-1, and with Rooney, Hernandez and Tevez all scoring goals I don't know how I'm going to keep them all happy.

You sold Anderson? For £9m?

He's been my best player in the opening eight games. Scored 3 and assisted 5 to get an average rating of 7.64.

I've won all eight so far this season, squad looks really strong from the start and doubt I'll even buy anyone on the full game really, doesn't seem to be any reason too.

GK: De Gea, Lindegaard, Amos

WB: Rafael, Evra, Fabio, Smalling, Evans

CB: Vidic, Ferdinand, Jones, Smalling, Evans

CM: Fletcher, Anderson, Giggs, Carrick, Cleverley, Pogba, Gibson

WF: Young, Nani, Valencia, Park, Morrison, Cleverley, Giggs

ST: Rooney, Hernandez, Berbatov, Welbeck, Macheda, Owen, Diouf

The only other player I'm looking to get back is (I'm sure) a big surprise. And it's Ritchie De Laet from Norwich. Has good important stats and can play all along the back four in an injury crisis. I think of him as a young O'Shea.

Overall, we have a great squad even if some players are slightly underrated (for various reasons) like Welbeck, Cleverley and Young. If you don't make it No20 in your first full season, I'll be amazed.

I have to agree with MJB on this. Anderson has been very consistent for me also. not quite as good as MJB but ratings are good and is a consistent performer. Would definitely not sell him for anywhere near £9m.

I am also having some good success on the demo playing a fluid control strategy and have only drawn 1 game in 13 with 12 wins (the draw was away to the scousers unfortunately).

Ah feck, laptop crashed whilst playing last night. Just loaded up the game and noticed I have not saved the game at all. Lost the first 5 friendlies, all my staff hires, training setup, coach setup, tutoring, individual training etc... only thing I still got is the tactics I set up :(

Grrrr

Ah feck, laptop crashed whilst playing last night. Just loaded up the game and noticed I have not saved the game at all. Lost the first 5 friendlies, all my staff hires, training setup, coach setup, tutoring, individual training etc... only thing I still got is the tactics I set up :(

Grrrr

10 files Rolling Auto-Save Every Day is the way to go. :)

Daily save is so annoying, but I probably should switch to it. Serves me right. Cant be bothered to play at the moment as got to do all the fiddly bits again. Lost lots of great friendly results which I doubt I be able to get again. But nevermind :)

Daily save is so annoying, but I probably should switch to it. Serves me right. Cant be bothered to play at the moment as got to do all the fiddly bits again. Lost lots of great friendly results which I doubt I be able to get again. But nevermind :)

Hey mate it's just a Demo. :) OYu'll be fine on full game. As for saving, it's okay for me to save every day because you don't see the saving progress. It's in the background, so you don't even see it nor you have to wait for game to be saved.

Decided to have a quick run out again, before getting sorted to go buy a new fridge and freezer.... got most fiddly bits done and played inter-club friendly. 7-2 victory. Would have liked the clean sheet again but nevermind, least the players linked up well. Hernandez, 2*Rooney, Evans, Valencia, Berbatov, Welbeck were the scorers. Nice spread of goals there and all got 45minutes each :)

So next up is Antwerp, lets see if I get through that without injuries again

I have to agree with MJB on this. Anderson has been very consistent for me also. not quite as good as MJB but ratings are good and is a consistent performer. Would definitely not sell him for anywhere near £9m.

I am also having some good success on the demo playing a fluid control strategy and have only drawn 1 game in 13 with 12 wins (the draw was away to the scousers unfortunately).

But I hate Anderson, irl, so I got rid.

Anyone managed to get Ravel to accept tutoring? moody bugger doesnt seem to want to work with anyone. Trying various players with approach type differing but none of them worked so far. Still, all good data collection. Not even played a match, hell im still on day 1 playing with things

No, he wouldn't accept any tutoring on mine either. It's not affected his performances though, I threw him straight into the starting XI and after 16 games he's got 8 goals & 7 assists with an average rating of 7.82 :cool:

Might be going a bit overboard for FM2012 this year, but have decided to upgrade my laptop ready for the full game. Just ordered myself an extra 8GB of RAM and a 500GB SSD. Hopefully should run quite quickly. Even when I clog it up with 100s of United saves and all the Tactics, Schedules and Graphic Files needed to really polish the game.

Archived