OFFICIAL* Blog Feedback - Conversation Tones

Aye, I'm pretty sure once you get the hang of what works for your team and what not, you'll be able to exploit that feature to the death. Especially in the light of how important morale seems to be in FM nowadays.

I remember a time where tic-tac-toe used to be a video game...

I hope that FM doesn't turn into Conversation Football Manager, the endless clicking of the mouse to have a conversation with someone who is not listening anyway just to play the matches is not what I would exactly call a video game. I think we more live in a society where we want a little more action and a little less talk, generally - as the old football saying goes: "let's do the talking out on the pitch"...

I agree. The immersion factor as you call it was definitely something that was missing in FM I think. Or maybe its just me thats getting too old ;) I also think that the team meetings will be a brilliant addition to the game. Really looking forward to FM12 now.

Yep, FM11 was better than FM10 but not as immersive, if that makes sense. Genuinely excited for FM12 now, unlike last year

You've obviously never been in a dressing room at half time:lol: I'm surprised there isn't a "breathing fire" tone;)

That would be "Fergie" tone. ;)

Not quite sure what "reluctantly" is supposed to be. "Calm," "assertive," "aggressive," "cautiously" are all pretty straight forward.

I remember a time where tic-tac-toe used to be a video game...

I hope that FM doesn't turn into Conversation Football Manager, the endless clicking of the mouse to have a conversation with someone who is not listening anyway just to play the matches is not what I would exactly call a video game. I think we more live in a society where we want a little more action and a little less talk, generally - as the old football saying goes: "let's do the talking out on the pitch"...

I fully agree, but the direction SI seem to be taking with FM suggests we can expect more and more tedious features every year, with an odd useful and actually fun addition (although, "fun" is different for everyone). As I said in some other thread, just because something is realistic it doesn't mean it should be included in the game, especially when it's implemented in a way that it is just another clickfest.

However, there will always be people who like it and thus justify its introduction into the game.

Don't like it, more time spent micro managing morale. Its like a mini game within FM which makes you click click click click more and more.

It's something I will be avoiding.

Isnt that what you should be doing, football management isnt just about picking players or tactics it is keeping the morale high and this is a sure way to do this and a massive improvment on what we had

Isnt that what you should be doing, football management isnt just about picking players or tactics it is keeping the morale high and this is a sure way to do this and a massive improvment on what we had

its about every aspect, from players to morale to tactics to squad building etc. and the more control we get over each, the better in my opinion. Very much looking forward to this

Team meeting feature looks nice.

The "tones" feature I think will end up the same as the team-talks feature- people will find the "correct" formula and incessantly repeat it rather than actually being in a 'conversation'. I still use wolfgang's 2009 team talk guide for example. I've made no attempt to think logically about team talks as that's not really how it works... Situation A warrants talk B and that's the end of it.

The "tones" feature I think will end up the same as the team-talks feature- people will find the "correct" formula and incessantly repeat it rather than actually being in a 'conversation'. I still use wolfgang's 2009 team talk guide for example. I've made no attempt to think logically about team talks as that's not really how it works... Situation A warrants talk B and that's the end of it.

This is what concerns me, too. In FM11, the first rule of player interaction is to ignore the words. Getting a more "human" response would make them interesting but I am very sceptical.

Not quite sure what "reluctantly" is supposed to be.

To my mind it would be used when you feel something needs to be said but that you're not entirely comfortable saying it. So it's when you say something but you're only 55% sure you should. I could be wrong, though.

To my mind it would be used when you feel something needs to be said but that you're not entirely comfortable saying it. So it's when you say something but you're only 55% sure you should. I could be wrong, though.

Or you're "reluctantly" offering the player out to clubs for whatever reason....or "reluctantly" transfer listing him....with the reluctant tone hopefully the player won't be too upset and still perform on the pitch.

And you could "reluctantly" tell a player if they don't improve in training they're out of the club. Better, use "reluctantly" the first time you tell a big name player off for sub-par training, then if they still don't improve turn "aggressive".

I'd assume not every option is available in every flavor. Like the confrontational stuff. Being separated into their own tabs like that would suggest to me that some have unique options.

• 3 months later...

I cannot believe the positive response from this? It is still so basic and feels like far more of a guessing game than anything else.

In these instances where you are communicating with players on either a collective or private manner, I want so much more freedom to say what I actually would say should I be in the situation in REAL LIFE(which is what we are effectively trying to recreate as best as possible here is it not?).

If at half time Millwall are trailing 3-0(which is all too often the case unfortunately), I'm pretty sure Kenny Jackett isn't given a list of a few generic things he can say with an option of how he articulates them?! He says what he likes!!

Another gripe, if I feel like praising one of my top performers recent displays, I can only tell him that he has improved...suggesting he was below par beforehand??? I'm so sick of how repetitive this feature gets, almost where you say what you know will work even though it's absolutely not what you would say in that situation in the slightest.

Every year this lets me down! And don't even get me started on Press Conferences!!!

Archived