AI Experiment - what would happen if?

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by gonzález:

Hey great update, thanks icon_smile.gif

Just wondering - none of the images seem to work, when all on the page before this one (I just checked) do work. Is this anything to do with Imageshack or are these links working for other people?

I haven't looked at all of them, but Orlov's profile is the only one on this page that worked for me.

Thanks for the update kipfizh, glad the Bandits could sneak another season in Europe (thanks Chesterfield!) but when are the board going to appoint a decent boss?!?!?

Fantastic. Bad enough to get Clayton sacked, good enough to hold onto all our stars and attract some more. Signed a really crappy new manager but he's so old it'll only be a couple of years before we get a fresh, hopefully excellent, manager in.

Lupo is quite probably the greatest player to lace up a pair of boots and certainly on a par with any player I've ever seen.

The Bandits should have enough quality to progress through the woeful Intertoto and into the UEFA proper. Fingers crossed.

Let's hope we get some defensive help in, although such a great midfield is a boon.

VB

Originally posted by DefoesRightBoot:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonzález:

Hey great update, thanks icon_smile.gif

Just wondering - none of the images seem to work, when all on the page before this one (I just checked) do work. Is this anything to do with Imageshack or are these links working for other people?

I haven't looked at all of them, but Orlov's profile is the only one on this page that worked for me.

Thanks for the update kipfizh, glad the Bandits could sneak another season in Europe (thanks Chesterfield!) but when are the board going to appoint a decent boss?!?!? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

About 90% of the pictures do not work for me.

I can't see the pics either but great update as usual Kipfizh! icon14.gif

Very happy to see that the Bandits performed well in Europe and I hope with a little more experience they'll be even better next season. Very happy about the new signings as well, we could potentially be on for an exciting season... if it wasn't for the fact that the board keeps hiring crappy managers, this is just unbelievable, the Bandtis are probably one of the top 30 teams in the world now in terms of reputation and quality of players, not to mention that they're the second richest, what will it take for the board to understand that we need a good manager... I'm starting to wonder if they'll ever get it or if it will just happen once out luck. Thoughts anyone?

Originally posted by kipfizh:

Many were tipped to become the new manager, but it was to be another slightly disappointing choice. Former Sunderland manager, and experienced coach, Stuart Davies, was hired, but at 62 his best days were surely behind him, as a CA of 80 shows, in comparison to his PA of 113.

Did you look at the others who were tipped as the new manager? Were any of them superior in terms of CA/PA, or are only low-ability managers interested at this (that?) stage?

Bloody imageshack.

I'll create a new post with all the screenshots again (I'll keep the ones that work), and test the URLs before I hit them - it took ages compiling the Team Analysis post because of the screenshots, I don't want that effort wasted!!

Originally posted by kipfizh:

Bloody imageshack.

I'll create a new post with all the screenshots again (I'll keep the ones that work), and test the URLs before I hit them - it took ages compiling the Team Analysis post because of the screenshots, I don't want that effort wasted!!

Agreed, cheers for the effort. The pictures that did work were great, it's nice to be able to see the players playing for The Bandits.

One post with the links in will be enough, don't waste time and effort that could be spent on the next update icon_wink.gif

Come on The Bandits.

Last time round I predicted Clayton would get sacked and then replaced by an equally poor manager. On fist impressions I was correct but to be honest the new man's done very well and as long as he doesn't sell any of the stars and replace them with rubbish should comtinue to do better than Clayton.

It's interesting that a manager with a lower CA can be a lot better just because of how those CA points are turned into attributes (makes sense of course) I wonder what attributes really do make a good manager?

Man Management? Motivating? Tactical Knowledge?

This time round I predict The Bandits will qualify for Europe via the Intertoto and get past the group stages. I hope they don't but they may go out in the quarters or semi's.

The cups will be no better than last season due to Europe and league commitments. There aren't quite enough talanted back up players to sustain runs in 4 competitions at the moment.

The league position will hopefully improve, but not by too much I don't think. Automatic European qualification, possibly a 5th place finish.

Excellent update as always, can't wait for next season.

Great update as always!

I was just wondering if there has been any major changes in the coefficients over the years does any countries have extra champions league places.

Also I was wondering if you can remember any tycoon takeovers over the years and if any teams have benefited from this a lot.

Originally posted by shota92:

Great update as always!

I was just wondering if there has been any major changes in the coefficients over the years does any countries have extra champions league places.

Also I was wondering if you can remember any tycoon takeovers over the years and if any teams have benefited from this a lot.

Since only the English Leagues are selected I doubt it changes a whole lot and if it did it's pretty irrelevant anyway since the foreign league games aren't even beeing simulated.

(repeated with new and tested URLs):

Bandits report - Team analysis

Goalkeepers

Owen Paris (28, 154/156) continued in goal, and carried on from where he left off last season, playing superbly well, and remarkably averaging over 7.50.

Behind him, he was ably backed up by Bill Beckham (25, 153/161), who played very well when called upon, and the improving Chris Wade (23, 153/158).

Summary: Same trio as last season, without any of them getting too old – they are fine here.

Genie Scout’s Suggestion: Bill Beckham (GK)

Defenders

For the first half of the season, Wes McAusland became first choice left back for the Bandits, after Steve Lancaster (33, 129/178) faded badly, but when he left in January, the gifted Luis Pizarro (30, 159/159) was brought in, and played supremely for the rest of the season. There is no other backup, however.

On the right, Robbie Watts was sold, and for the first half of the season, Ali Bell (26, 141/152) stepped in. However, he was atrocious, and in January Clayton dipped into the transfer market again and brought in Steen Hansen (25, 155/172), who was considerably better. But they are the only two players in the squad able to play at right back.

In the centre, the main partnership was again Charlie Morgan (32, 170/173) and Thibault Pichet (24, 156/161), but there was a massive difference between the pair – Morgan was immaculate but Pichet was error prone and unsteady.

Phil Dixon (25, 151/157) played a lot of games too, but his were split between defence and midfield, while the rest of the backup was supplied by Peter Henry (22, 142/154) and Gary Small (28, 148/167).

Summary: In the centre they have the same set of players as before, and still need backup, while at left back there is only a quickly fading veteran to back Pizarro up. Right back also needs cover.

Genie Scout’s Suggestion: Luis Pizarro (LB), Steen Hansen (RB), Charlie Morgan (CB), Phil Dixon (CB)

Midfielders

After Danijel Ivic (32, 148/161) had held down a first team place at left wing for so long, he was comprehensively ousted from his position by the outstanding 14.75m signing from Man City, Roman Orlov (28, 169/169). The Ukrainian went on to have a fantastic season.

Ivic backed him up, along with Ralph Wright (24, 143/152), while the talented young Welshman, Andy Parkin (23, 151/179) may well push Orlov hard for a place over the coming years. For once, the Bandits don’t need any more left wingers.

On the right, summer signing Barry Garrard (29, 160/169) became first choice on his arrival, but this only lasted until January, when new signing Philip King (26, 177/177), now the club’s best player, replaced him in the side. Last season’s first choice, Stephen McNeil (29, 137/137) is demoted to third place and transfer listed, but after this position being a massive weakness last season, it has been spectacularly rectified.

In the centre, Fabien Vincent (26, 162/181) continued, but now looks unlikely to reach his full potential, while he was again partnered by Shaun Gibbs (29, 156/158), who seems to be beginning to fall away from his peak. No-one else really got much of a look in, but Peter Watt (25, 154/156) is an able deputy, while defensive midfielder Lee Peacock (24, 148/161) is moving on in the summer.

Youth prospect Adam Williamson (18, 106/189) has the highest potential of any Bandit in history, while attacking midfielder Paul Donaldson (22, 138/150) also has the makings of a decent player.

Summary: Wingers are no longer the problem, but with the central midfielders not performing particularly well, new blood there would be a bonus.

Genie Scout’s Suggestion: Andy Parkin (LM), Philip King (RM), Shaun Gibbs (CM), Roman Orlov (CM)

Strikers

The strike partnership was again Tom Finley (24, 169/169), who bagged 23 goals, and Scott McDermott (27, 159/159), who added 19 of his own. Once again, these two pushed the Bandits to heights they otherwise would never have reached.

This season, though, they have excellent backup in the shape of Michael Lancashire (24, 161/169), who after joining in January managed six goals in limited appearances.

Paul Spicer (29, 156/156) remains but wants a new challenge, but after that the backup is poor.

Summary: Finley, McDermott and Lancashire make an excellent trio, but that’s it. They need a fourth.

Genie Scout’s Suggestion: Scott McDermott (ST), Tom Finley (ST)

Last season’s shopping list:

Left Back – signed (Pizarro, but McAusland sold)

Right Back – signed (Hansen, but Watts sold)

Centre Back – not signed

Left Winger – signed (Orlov, Parkin)

Right Winger – signed (Garrard, King)

They are still short on centre backs after the sales from two years ago, and while they bought full backs they also sold the previous first choices, so they still need those. At least wingers are, for once, not the problem.

Summer shopping list: Left Back, Right Back, Centre Back, Striker

The defence must be sorted quickly, while the strike trio needs a fourth member.

(repeated with new and tested URLs)

Bandits report - First XI Summary

GK: Paris (28, 154/156) – 7.51

LB: Pizarro (30, 159/159) – 7.40

CB: Pichet (24, 156/161) – 6.40

CB: Morgan (32, 170/173) – 7.36

RB: Hansen (25, 155/172) – 6.79

LM: Orlov (28, 169/169) – 7.37

CM: Vincent (26, 162/181) – 6.72

CM: Gibbs (29, 156/158) – 6.81

RM: King (26, 177/177) – 7.06

ST: McDermott (27, 159/159) – 7.30

ST: Finley (24, 169/169) – 7.40

Average age – 27.2 (up from last year’s 27.0)

Average CA – 162.4 (up from last year’s 156.8)

Average rating – 7.10 (up from last year’s 7.06)

The side got a little older, but spectacularly better – a rise of nearly six points of CA per player, over sixty points of CA in total. There were huge improvements in certain areas of the team, but the key is that last season, their average CA was 156.8, the lowest CA is now 155.

They also played better than last season, which is an excellent sign for times ahead. Some of these players were January signings so helped rescue the team from their poor first half of the season, and if they continue this form next season they could be right up there.

There is anxiety about what the manager will do in the transfer market this summer without the greatest amount of ability, but if he gets it right, the Bandits could be a real force next season.

(repeated with new and tested URLs)

World View - World beaters

Maia (27, 199/199), the Portuguese central midfielder, holds on to the top spot for the second season in a row, but you would never believe it. He plays appallingly for Milan, averaging just 6.10, and as a result is axed from the team. He may have more footballing talent than anyone else on the planet, but he isn’t showing it.

Maia

Carlo Lupo (29, 196/198) starts his inevitable CA fade, losing two points this season, but in contrast to his Milan teammate Maia, the Italian has the best season of his career, averaging an incredible 8.13, and picking up fifteen man of the match awards. He may have been toppled on this list by Maia, but at the same club he averages over two rating points better every match, a ridiculously wide gap. What a player.

Carlo Lupo

Hector Ceballos (30, 191/192) returns to the list having regained the required CA this season after a late resurgence in his career. Still at Real Madrid, the Argentinian centre back refuses to let his ability fade even into the thirties.

Hector Ceballos

Rounding off the world beaters is a newcomer, and a former ‘one to watch’ tip. Hugues Guichard (23, 191/195), the French striker, was prolific for Bayern Munich, scoring 21 goals in 29 games. At only 23, he should be on this list for at least the next five years.

Hugues Guichard

hey kip

started reading this the other day and ended up staying up 4 about 24 hrs then a quite considerably long snooze then back to the world of the mighty bandits.

cant wait 4 the next installment. your in depth summarizing is absolutely fantastic and keeps everybody gagging to see wot the clubs fortunes will be in the coming seasons.

one thing i don't quite get is the rich list.....if chelsea have nearly 2bln in the bank, surley they should be topping it by a mile?

not to sure the new managers promising start should be taken to seriously. it always seems to be the case when a new manager comes in we do well for a bit then he royally ****s it up. and have you also noticed that when we've had our worst season in each league it is followed usually by our best.

KUTGW buddy!

Stuart Davies has 1 in determination on top of his poor judging of players... that surely isn't gonna help the Bandits. I really don't understand why the board keeps hiring these terrible managers.

Also, can you check who takes the FKs and Corners please. I noticed that Charlie Morgan has 16 in FK and 17 in Corners but he only has 1 assist the entire season so I guess he's not taking them.

Thanks for re-posting the links too, awesome work again mate icon14.gif

I shall send my therapist bill to Kipfizh... icon_razz.gif

I found this thread about 1 AM last night, and kept reading until the last of the original Bandits retired (at page 12, IIRC), which happened at 9:40 AM. At that point I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore, and had to go to sleep. I woke up at 1 PM, and continued reading until now (11:40 PM), with pauses only for lunch, toilet, and a computer class (which took 1 hour).

One of the most wonderful threads I've ever seen, anywhere. And a great insight into how the game works regarding required player skill and management.

Brilliant stuff, Kip!

P.S. I can't believe nobody pointed out that the Bandits managed to score more than 5 goals in a game after more than 30 years in 2038. icon_smile.gif

(That's now on page 16, I believe.)

One suggestion: Would it be possible to see a snapshot or two of World/Euro Cup winning teams when it happens? I think it would be pretty interesting to see what they are like.

Originally posted by magicmastermind124:

He said he would wait for the patch to come out. And besides he wants to carry on with this experiment.

It would be so class if he could what he's done but on 2008. It would be great seeing what all the Bandits players/managers looked like on facegen plus all the world stars.

Keep up the great work Kip, can't wait for the next update! icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by HD:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kipfizh:

Many were tipped to become the new manager, but it was to be another slightly disappointing choice. Former Sunderland manager, and experienced coach, Stuart Davies, was hired, but at 62 his best days were surely behind him, as a CA of 80 shows, in comparison to his PA of 113.

Did you look at the others who were tipped as the new manager? Were any of them superior in terms of CA/PA, or are only low-ability managers interested at this (that?) stage? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't unfortunately, but that's a good idea - I'll look for that next time.

Originally posted by Meitheisman:

Also, can you check who takes the FKs and Corners please. I noticed that Charlie Morgan has 16 in FK and 17 in Corners but he only has 1 assist the entire season so I guess he's not taking them.

Sure, will do - I might add a little note on the general tactics the team plays each season...

I think, from memory, that Roman Orlov may have been the corner taker, but don't quote me on that.

Season 2045-46

Bandits report - Transfers

Transfers In

Transfers Out

Many Bandits fans considered last season a resounding success – their early struggles saw off Ben Clayton, and while the new manager, Stuart Davies, seemed not to be the best choice, the team enjoyed a resurgence under his guidance, returning to the European scene, albeit through the Intertoto Cup.

Many still held reservations, however – Davies has a score of five for judging a player’s ability, and nine for judging potential. With a couple of young stars of the future at the club, would he recognize their talent or sell them once another club did? And with fears over his general transfer policy, can he prove the doubters wrong and move the club forward?

It should not be forgotten that it would be wise for Davies to do very little – Clayton bought some stunning talent in his final transfer window, and the squad as it stands is very strong.

Summer

The summer started slowly, with Davies not appearing to be stamping his mark on the squad just yet, relieving the fans of their clearout worries. Reserve midfielder David Barcelo returned to Spain, while Lee Peacock, the defensive midfielder who never really fitted into the Bandit plans, moved to Derby for 2.9m, a tidy sum for a player who had never made much of an impact.

All good so far. And it got no worse – reserve keeper Chris Wade moved to Newcastle for 2m, and that was about the end of that. Not one first team squad member moved on, the squad was just trimmed a little, especially in the crowded central midfield area – not a bad thing at all.

If Davies was inactive in selling, he was positively dormant is getting his chairman’s chequebook out, signing only one player, French right wing back Romain Delahaye. The 30 year old former French international cost 5.5m from Villareal.

And that was it. In truth, the Bandit fans were relieved – although a little disappointed with the lack of signings, they recognised that the squad was stronger than ever before, and the stability the club now has could carry them forward into the new season.

It looks bright. While Stuart Davies is weak in the transfer market, he is an excellent coach, and he has a superb squad at his disposal. Can he make the most of it?

January

January rolled around, and once again the Bandit fans were chewing their fingernails – what would Davies do? Surely at some point he’d want to make the squad his own?

Centre back Gary Small was the first to go. Although useful at covering both in defence and midfield, he’d played only two matches all season, and was moved on to Burnley for 850k. No-one really minded too much.

And then the wheels came off in spectacular style. The media was covering Chelsea’s continued interest in star player Philip King, the right winger who had a CA of 177 and an average rating of 7.35 for the season. It would be a fight to keep him.

But first, Leeds came in with an offer of 8.75m for Andy Parkin, the left winger who had only played a couple of matches, failing to dislodge Roman Orlov from his position. While a stunning talent, the money on the table was too good, and he moved on.

And then King followed him. While a rich club, the Bandits do not have the reputation clout to reject enormous offers for their players, and that’s exactly what came in, Chelsea pulling out all the stops and putting 30m down for him. No-one was ever in doubt that it had to be accepted, the player would never have forgiven them. So the star player moved on to where all ex-Bandit stars seem to end up – Stamford Bridge.

With Parkin moving on, Ralph Wright, previously third choice left winger, had the chance to push for a place, but opted not to take it, joining Barnsley for 2.5m, again a decent sum for a reserve. He was quickly followed by the loyal Paul Spicer – the striker had spent eight years at the Bandits but always found himself to be a reserve, and at 30 went looking for first team football, moving to Chesterfield for 3.7m, where he shone, scoring seven goals in twelve matches before the season ended. He moved on with best wishes.

The final sale was Peter Watt, the central midfielder who had spent the first half of the season on loan at Leicester. He never managed to threaten a first team spot, so when Tottenham offered 2.5m for him, he duly left.

And that was the end of the sales. The left wing positions suddenly looked short of depth, but if Roman Orlov could stay fit then there would be no problem, while the big loss was obviously the club’s best player, Philip King, who vacated the right wing slot. Apart from that, it was a lot of reserves that found themselves moving on. King aside, the team remained the same, but the squad was simply thinner.

So could Davies strengthen it with some astute signings? He didn’t seem to think he needed much, bringing in only two players.

The first was Paul Thackeray, a signing that all the fans were delighted to see. A talent, with 158 CA and 170 PA at 23, he was most importantly a left winger, and suddenly the losses of Parkin and Wright in that position looked unimportant. With Orlov and Thackeray fighting it out, there would be no shortage of quality there.

If that signing cheered the fans up, the second one had them in raptures. Paul Dove had struggled at Arsenal since they paid the Bandits 12m for him five years ago, and although he had managed twelve games for the Gunners in the first half of the season, the first time he had been anything like a regular, they decided that he could move on, and he returned to the Bandits for a cut price 6.25m.

No longer is Dove a former talent who I need to track. He is a Bandit once more. Now 25, he has hit his peak of 171 CA, and his signing went a long way to appeasing those fans disappointed to see Philip King leave the club. A product of the Bandits’ youth team, he was delighted to return.

And the winter action ended there. The squad had been trimmed, one star had been sold, but a prodigal son had returned. Were the team worse off overall? Probably slightly, but only in depth. Davies did not gut the first team, so how will he have done in his first full season in charge?

Bandits report - squad

Top 20 in Squad (sorted by CA)

Name, Pos, Age, CA-PA

Dove, FC, 25, 171-171 – new signing

Finley, ST, 25, 169-169 (0)

Orlov, AM LC, 29, 169-169 (0)

Vincent, MC, 27, 166-181 (+4)

Lancashire, ST, 25, 163-169 (+2)

Garrard, AM R, 30, 161-169 (+1)

Dreyfus, AM L, 29, 160-186 – on loan from Real Madrid

Pichet, DC, 25, 160-161 (+4)

Morgan, DC, 33, 159-173 (-11)

McDermott, ST, 28, 159-159 (0)

Hansen, D/WB R, 26, 158-172 (+3)

Thackeray, AM L, 23, 158-170 – new signing

Pizarro, D/M LC, DM, 31, 156-159 (-3)

Beckham, GK, 26, 154-161 (+1)

Paris, GK, 29, 154-156 (0)

Dixon, D/M C, 26, 152-157 (+1)

Delahaye, D/WB R, 30, 149-161 – new signing

Gibbs, M LC, 30, 149-158 (-7)

Henry, DC, 23, 146-154 – new entry in top 20

Ivic, AM L, 33, 140-161 (-8) – re-entry in top 20

Players in last season’s top 20 who have left the club:

King, AM R, 26, 177-177

Spicer, ST, 29, 156-156

Watt, MC, 25, 154-156

Wade, GK, 23, 153-158

Parkin, WB/AM L, 23, 151-179

Small, D/DM C, 28, 148-167

Players in last season’s top 20 who have dropped out of the top 20:

None

The squad is definitely weaker, as shown by Danijel Ivic, who last season was not in the top twenty, but despite losing eight points of CA this season, he returns to the list.

The overall quality is largely the same though – there are a lot of very decent players at the top of the list, perhaps even one or two more than before, but the depth is not there so much anyone as a lot of fringe players were allowed to go.

This could be an excellent thing if, in the summer, those fringe players are replaced well. But can that happen based upon the club’s standing? It all depends on how they’ve done.

CA of X or above:

190 : 0 … 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0

180 : 0 … 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0

170 : 0 … 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 2, 1

160 : 0 … 0, 0, 1, 3, 2, 3, 3, 3, 7, 8

150 : 0 … 10, 13, 15, 13, 11, 15, 17, 15, 19, 16

140 : 0 … 14, 19, 27, 25, 22, 27, 27, 24, 26, 20

130 : 0 … 22, 28, 32, 31, 28, 33, 34, 29, 29, 26

120 : 0 … 29, 37, 38, 36, 30, 34, 36, 30, 32, 28

110 : 0 … 39, 42, 39, 36, 30, 36, 36, 31, 32, 28

100 : 2 … 43, 45, 40, 36, 32, 39, 40, 34, 33, 30

The Bandits lose both of their 170 CA players this season, with King moving to Chelsea and Charlie Morgan aging badly and fading quickly. However, one was replaced, with the signing of Paul Dove, to ensure that they still have a mark in this column.

Impressively, the number of 160 CA players rose, now forming the bulk of a first XI, but beyond that the depth of the squad dipped. Some weaker players will have had to play this season, although the first team is still extremely strong.

In short, if they stayed clear of injuries, there would be nothing to stop an excellent season. But otherwise, they could be in big trouble.

Top players by reputation

Reputation (CA in brackets):

Finley (169) – 7140 (-)

Orlov (169) – 7065 (-85)

Vincent (166) – 6889 (+398)

McDermott (159) – 6320 (-)

Morgan (159) – 6316 (-909)

Hansen (158) – 6241 – new entry in top 20

Dreyfus (160) – 6156 – on loan from Real Madrid

Pichet (160) – 6122 – new entry in top 20

Pizarro (156) – 6084 (-236)

Beckham (154) – 5929 – new entry in top 20

Team (as of last summer): 7174 (+513)

After last season’s European campaign, the reputation of the Bandits roketed upwards, and their mark, as it was then, was higher than any of the individual players right now.

Charlie Morgan’s star is most definitely on the fade.

When I first glanced at the transfers out screenshot I almost cried, but it wasn't as bad as I first thought. £30m for King was never going to be rejected so I can't really blame the manager for that.

When I first looked at the transfers in screeny I was equally dismayed at first, but again on closer inspection all is not as it seemed. He's made good signings and it's great to see Dove back.

So all in all I'm pretty pleased and I'm hoping the fact that they've managed to attract Dove back away from Arsenal means they've been having a good season.

Can't wait for the season update.

Fabulous to see someone so prudent in the transfer market after the revolving door policy the previous incumbent had.

Nearly as great to see Dove return. One season of European Football has made such a difference to the reputation of the club that we can attract those players we had to sell, and sell those players we no longer need.

Fingers crossed the return of the third best player to ever wear the Bandits colours is worth the excitement it's generated.

And hurry the hell up with your reports icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

VB

Archived