Group H - Spain v Switzerland (KO 3.00pm)

tcoleman1

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No team has lost their opening game and won the World Cup.

That was great stuff, well done, Swiss. Spain more than capable of winning 2 games and topping the group but makes things interesting and adds some pressure.

Our 1-1 draw against a decent Yank side isn't looking so bad after a few additional performances this week from others

You really are beyond parody now, you know that?

Every single game involving one of the favourites since Saturday has involved you somewhere going on about how there's clearly nothing to worry about with any of the sides in this competition and that England are going to stroll to that second World Cup at a canter.

The sooner England get dumped out of this competition the better, then I won't have to put up with your nonsense for a while.

If that happens, and I agree it's a very real possibility, Spain will reinforce a lot their famous rep of being chokers. :D

Nah, they're just asleep at the wheel. Happened in 98 too :(

Torres lost alot of CA this season

Worst case scenario is becoming a famous crock :D

Why don't you like them?

I am sure Spain will win one day (probably before England win again), as like France did in 1998, or Brazil in 1958 (apparently the Brazilian media said back then before the tournament that Brazil was going to Europe for tourism, as usual :D).

Not really sure why I don't like them, I just don't get the appeal. Also thinking back I remember I used to really dislike them with the racist incident a few years ago (which is completely void now, no reason to not like them nowadays) but completely forgot about that until recently, when I was asked why I don't like them by someone else and I was trying to think back as to why.

So glad that Switzerland won, Spain were a bunch of whining bitches. Every time there was a tackle, whether it was a foul or not they were calling for a free kick and a few times they gestured to the referee that the player should be booked.

Well done Switzerland.

Switzerland were ugly though, clearly targetted Xavi, Villa, Silva and Iniesta and those four spent a lot of time on the deck. People cry out for a bit of flair and attacking play in the tournament and then smart when anti football triumphs.

Nothing against the Swiss, they had a game plan, stuck to it and were impressive in doing so, but the potential loss of a team like Spain will do nothing to light the tournament up.

Tbh for myself I never really saw Spain as this spectacular team...the fact they needed penalties to knock out a pretty **** Italy side in Euro 08 pretty much made my mind up that they will not be this side that will be remembered as fondly as a Holland or Brazil side from the 70's or 80's...

Nothing against the Swiss, they had a game plan, stuck to it and were impressive in doing so, but the potential loss of a team like Spain will do nothing to light the tournament up.

I dunno I enjoyed the game very much actually... :D

I actually find Spains 100 passes a minute game quite boring...I like more direct football...

Argentina probably have the best balance in terms of stroking the ball around but yet still managing to look threatening in the final third.

Not really sure why I don't like them, I just don't get the appeal. Also thinking back I remember I used to really dislike them with the racist incident a few years ago (which is completely void now, no reason to not like them nowadays) but completely forgot about that until recently, when I was asked why I don't like them by someone else and I was trying to think back as to why.

I think the media in some countries overrate any racism incident in Spain (like that one with Lewis Hamilton).

England does a better job hiding racism, but I would honestly be surprised if they were less racist than the Spaniards, although we have no "racistometer" so it's hard to really measure this kind of thing.

You really are beyond parody now, you know that?

Every single game involving one of the favourites since Saturday has involved you somewhere going on about how there's clearly nothing to worry about with any of the sides in this competition and that England are going to stroll to that second World Cup at a canter.

The sooner England get dumped out of this competition the better, then I won't have to put up with your nonsense for a while.

Oh do shut up you insufferably boring git. You know full well that I have not said England will stroll to a 2nd World Cup or that there's 'nothing to worry about' so stop being a complete tool.

You really do have the most enormous chip on your shoulder. Yes, we get it, you don't like England / the English media / speaking English / anyone mentioning England ever / Mike England.

The way people went on about England after our draw (a draw a fair few people predicted although the nature of it was disappointing) made out like the world would implode "how can we possibly expect ..." "we are so far behind" etc etc.

Since then nearly every team has actually been pretty bloody unimpressive so people can perhaps review their kneejerk reaction to our game and think 'actually, wasn't the end of the world after all'.

When you think about it it's really easy to see what I have really said when you take your pathetic angry head off.

Haha Gregg! Where on earth has Razzler ever said anything like that. Probably the most sane England fan on OTF. Comparing the other seeded teams performances and saying ours doesn't look to bad in comparison doesn't = strolling to a 2nd WC ffs.

Bang on the money, well the final sentence.

Oh do shut up you insufferably boring git. You know full well that I have not said England will stroll to a 2nd World Cup or that there's 'nothing to worry about' so stop being a complete tool.

You really do have the most enormous chip on your shoulder. Yes, we get it, you don't like England / the English media / speaking English / anyone mentioning England ever / Mike England.

The way people went on about England after our draw (a draw a fair few people predicted although the nature of it was disappointing) made out like the world would implode "how can we possibly expect ..." "we are so far behind" etc etc.

Since then nearly every team has actually been pretty bloody unimpressive so people can perhaps review their kneejerk reaction to our game and think 'actually, wasn't the end of the world after all'.

When you think about it it's really easy to see what I have really said when you take your pathetic angry head off.

Wow! I get a feeling you just erupted after many weeks/months of Greggs ant-England statements...

Feel better?:D

Haha, not at all, I get used to the anti-English sentiments from our insignificant neighbours ;)

It doesn't bother me at all. I quite obviously have said nothing of the sort though, which any normal person not brimming with bitterness about all things England can see.

You will never see me getting carried away with anything related to England, been let down too many times and international football is rarely straightforward. Similarly I don't foam at the mouth when we don't beat everyone in front of us.

Haha, not at all, I get used to the anti-English sentiments from our insignificant neighbours ;)

It doesn't bother me at all. I quite obviously have said nothing of the sort though, which any normal person not brimming with bitterness about all things England can see.

You will never see me getting carried away with anything related to England, been let down too many times and international football is rarely straightforward. Similarly I don't foam at the mouth when we don't beat everyone in front of us.

How's about when you don't beat anyone in front of yous? :D

Thats because Xavi was asked to play in the "Ozil role" and he's much better from a deeper position. Fabregas would have been much better than Xavi in that position, partly because he can score goals.

Pretty much. Fabregas should have come on for Alonso with Navas for Silva.

Thats because Xavi was asked to play in the "Ozil role" and he's much better from a deeper position. Fabregas would have been much better than Xavi in that position, partly because he can score goals.

wait for it......I agree.

Pretty much. Fabregas should have come on for Alonso with Navas for Silva.

Not at all, I think the subs del Bosque made were the correct ones, Torres gave Spain another dimension, even if his touch was found wanting at times (most unlike him).

Was amusing how Ramos figured he would stop overlapping as soon as Navas came on. Considering the number spain now had in the box, and Ramos probably being their best crosser....it was disappointing.

Have a feeling they'll play 4-4-2 from the start next time around.

Archived