The Jabulani

Dr_dR3

After watching every game so far, the amount of overhit crosses/corners/... is insane. Not a single freekick has been hit weel. The ball seems to bounce up very high as well.

Thinking about it, it seems a logical cause of the ball being so round. I think it must be a very strange sensation of kicking an absolute round ball (like we all have done with those plastic balls) after playing with a 'normal' leather ball for your whole life.

I know that players whine about the new ball at every WC, but this time the ball does seem to influence the game.

Thoughts?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You arguing that the football is too round?

It is a ball, it fits the standards of the game, I can't believe a ball makes that much difference. A fair few leagues and the ACON all used it, squads have been training with it for the last few weeks.

Over the next couple of days we've got Brazil, Portugal, and Spain. Some good ball players in those teams, so probably best to reserve judgement until we've seen them.

There's been a lot of low quality football in and around the box so far though, i agree.

I don't think it's the pitches cutting up at all. Tonight there had been heavy rain so that was understandable and most other times are from players kicking the ground etc. I just think this ball seems a lot easier to hit and bounces quite a bit as there have been a lot of skied shots and overhit passes as the op said.

The bounce of the ball is ridiculously high. Saw a game a few days ago (can't remember the teams, ha) where the ball almost bounced over the keeper's head and he was in mid-air. Luckily he grasped it last minute before the striker nipped in but it is worrying for keepers.

The amount of miscontrolled/overhit passes that are going out for throw-in's is pretty spectacular. Strikers have no chance of catching balls that are hit over the top unless they are straight to their feet. As soon as they bounce they're gone.

I bought the proper ball today and it's definately different to a normal ball. I'm usually quite good at keepy-uppies and can do 50+ easily but using the Jabulani for the first time I stuggled to do 5 or 10 keepy-uppies.

You spent over £100 on a football?:eek:

You spent over £100 on a football?:eek:

I spent £60. The rrp is £80 though, so I got it for £20 off :D

I've still got the ball from the 2006 WC so if this ball lasts for 4 years then it would be equivalent to buying a £15 ball each year, which isn't too bad when you look at it that way.

As I've posted twice already, any comments about the weight are utter nonsense as the ball weighs 440g. The FIFA regs are 410-450g. If anything, it's a heavy ball.

I doubt they'd have done anything stupid like inflate them at sea level and then take them up to altitude, as that would make the ball harder.

So that leaves to either to pure effect of altitude, or an increased connection with the ball.

I don't remember hearing the MLS or the Bundesliga (sp?) whinge about it this year either.

Of course they didn't. Perfect opportunity to blame the ball as people think it has an effect. If the keeper ****s it up, its the ball, overhit pass, its the ball etc etc. Although in fairness there have been a lot of overhit passes which is strange in every match.

Actually p*ssing myself at Heskey trying to blame the ball for missing his one on one in the USA game :D :D

With my chance in the second half, the keeper (Howard) stood up quite well. I just tried to get as much power behind it as possible because these balls do move around. He has done well but he is lucky it has caught him right in the midriff

Link

Pitches are cutting up but it's the ball. It's taking off like nobodies business, why do they keep screwing around "Oh we want more goals" well maybe stop giving out petty yellow cards causing play to break up, allow refs to use common sense and let the players get on with the game

There's nothing wrong with the ball, it's just an easy excuse for players to use when they **** it up. You'll see that today when Drogba bangs one in from 30 yards right into the top corner.

Agree, but the goalie who lets it in, will say it's because the ball didn't fly normally... excuses, excuses.

The ball is fine, Germany moved it around well, maybe the extremely low standard of play is just down to hard pitches and **** players?

I came here to say that, but then I realized something; in all Bundesliga matches after the ball was introduced to world, they played with Jabulani and probably got used to it by then. Also, there were no players outside Bundesliga in their starting XI Sunday evening.

The ball that was used in the CL, was that the Jabulani? If not: how come Bayern (being used to the Jabulani) did so well? If so: how come Bayern didn't easily beat Inter? Same goes for Europe league, HSV/Fulham.

This is all a load of nonsense. If there is an influence from the ball behaving differently (which isn't even the case - there wasn't a word (not that I heard in any case) from the BL about the ball behaving strangely), it would benefit all teams in the same manner.

Actually p*ssing myself at Heskey trying to blame the ball for missing his one on one in the USA game :D :D

Link

Doesn't sound like he was blaming the ball at all. Sounds like he is just giving his thought processes when hitting his shot, and that he took into account that the ball moves around a lot.

I came here to say that, but then I realized something; in all Bundesliga matches after the ball was introduced to world, they played with Jabulani and probably got used to it by then. Also, there were no players outside Bundesliga in their starting XI Sunday evening.

What's different about this ball that makes it fly so much further then? All the nations were given the ball well before the start of the WC in order to practise with it. Unless you want to use the conspiracy that the USA used the ball in the MLS too? But then it was used in the ACoN and the 2010 Clausura in Argentina.

Nike don't seem to release the weight of the T90 Ascente (Premier League 2009/10 ball) but I'd guess that it's the same weight or lighter than the Jabulani.

The ones that said it was too light? Yes.

1) They weren't used to it, a lot of was made of it being "light", which I can't believe is correct, as it's towards the top of FIFA's regulation weight bracket, all it takes is one player to say "It feels light" for everyone to then blame every single over hit pass on the weight of the ball.

2) They probably first played with it during their altitude acclimatisation training.

3) It is "more round" and has improved airflow, so that would suggest a mild improvement in ball flight, but I can't believe ball is that much better than the Nike ones used in the Prem, La Liga etc, that it causes shots to fly over the bar at the slightest tap.

It's more movement with shots then overhit passes, they said all this before the tournament starts.

Keepers must get annoyed, every thing they try to introduce seems to be to make is more difficult for them. The ball is obviously different if it's lighter but still in regulation then it's still different, no idea why a ball that is used more often can't be used,

"like a ball you buy in the supermarket" one keeper said, they probably will get used to it but what's the point of introducing it really

I've not seen one shot swerve, dip or move any more than any other ball. I admit I'm not staring down the barrel so to speak, but we do have the advantage of several camera views.

The time when keepers started saying that was during their altitude training. The drop in air pressure is much more likely to cause a fast moving, wandering ball than any mild change in ball aerodynamics.

But what I'm saying is, the last few years have all had complaints about any new ball that it moves to much. Does this one move any more or less than the others?

Plus, if the FA's wanted to give their teams more time to use them, they shouldn't sign contracts which restrict them to a certain brand's balls during public training.

According to the keepers it seems to.

They usually say "it moves" and have a chuckle whereas they have really come out and said this is utter rubbish. The better solution is to design a ball with all the nice colours and fancy name but don't change it too much from the balls that are generally used by players through the season

I wouldn't rule out certain issues if this new ball bevahes so radically different: The complaints have to be viewed in the right contexts though, which means it's same-same every four years. Didn't see technically better sides like Mexico having much of a problem. According to wiki (heh), Arbeloa from Argentina is quoted as saying "Um, it's round" or thereabouts.

While Carragher's claims that rivals Germany had a real advantage playing with this ball for a while now sounds a bit bitter considering the difference in performance by both sides this weekend, issues with a new match ball are still something I wouldn't rule out completely. There were complaints from Timo Hildebrandt, keeper of Hoffenheim, when the ball was introduced as Bundesliga match ball.

Jabulani was also used in the African Cup Of Nations, amongst other competitions, and has been tested by Chelsea, Real or Milan before, and is claimed to be handed out early to all federations. We'll see.

I wouldn't rule out certain issues if this new ball bevahes so radically different: The complaints have to be viewed in the right contexts though, which means it's same-same every four years. Didn't see technically better sides like Mexico having much of a problem. According to wiki (heh), Arbeloa from Argentina is quoted as saying "Um, it's round" or thereabouts.

While Carragher's claims that rivals Germany had a real advantage playing with this ball for a while now sounds a bit bitter considering the difference in performance by both sides this weekend, issues with a new match ball are still something I wouldn't rule out completely. There were complaints from Timo Hildebrandt, keeper of Hoffenheim, when the ball was introduced as Bundesliga match ball.

Jabulani was also used in the African Cup Of Nations, amongst other competitions, and has been tested by Chelsea, Real or Milan before, and is claimed to be handed out early to all federations. We'll see.

Exactly, most players only mention anything because an enthusiastic journo hounds them for info.

Germany's performance can perhaps be attributed a little to the fact that the stadium they played in is one of the two (out of nine) which is at sea level. All the others are >1,000m.

Ronaldo's free kick technique should sort out any ill adjudged comments on the ball, if his shots go miles over there is something wrong ;)

Ronaldo regularly hits his shots (and freekicks) over the bar, he's pretty inconsistent tbf.

Guarantee he'll hit one that'll swerve and the keeper will blame the ball though, regardless of the fact that he does that with the Nike ball in la liga and previously in the premiership.

I wonder if FIFA ever considered that not dicking around with the ball every world cup might actually lead to a better world cup? Or at least they could introduce the new ball for the next world cup at the start of qualifying...

Exactly, it's FIFA's fault and FIFA's problem. Nothing to do with Adidas. If any of the nations have a problem, they'll launch an official complaint with FIFA, but they were all given plenty of time to have a go with the ball (since January) so I doubt they'd have a leg to stand on.

I've not seen one shot swerve, dip or move any more than any other ball. I admit I'm not staring down the barrel so to speak, but we do have the advantage of several camera views.

I've seen a few that seemed to move around quite a bit. Also there is a few midfielder/defenders that have said that heading down the goalkicks is almost impossible because of the balls unpredictable movement.

I wonder if FIFA ever considered that not dicking around with the ball every world cup might actually lead to a better world cup? Or at least they could introduce the new ball for the next world cup at the start of qualifying...

I have though the same but probably that would mean a few bucks less of sponsor money in Blatters/FIFAs pockets so I can't see it ever happening. ;)

Germany's performance can perhaps be attributed a little to the fact that the stadium they played in is one of the two (out of nine) which is at sea level. All the others are >1,000m.

And that stadium looked pretty shielded from the wind which also helps.

I've seen a few that seemed to move around quite a bit. Also there is a few midfielder/defenders that have said that heading down the goalkicks is almost impossible because of the balls unpredictable movement.

And that stadium looked pretty shielded from the wind which also helps.

A bad workman always blames his tools etc.

We can't be sure that any other ball would behave more predictably.

Wind is actually more likely to make the ball more predictable. It's in still air where it dips and swerves unpredictably. When the wind is blowing left to right, you know the ball will tend to do the same.

True, but all it takes is one workman to complain, and journo's will be asking leading questions, and the other workmen are all going to attribute any poor performance to the issue they've already been told MUST be due to the tool.

Archived