Liverpool FC 2008/09

Moreclaw

Originally posted by J4m1e:

Dossena officially complete now, on lfc.tv homepage...

"In England, they (Liverpool) are on the same level as Manchester United."

He's going to fit in well.

• Replies 17.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J4m1e:

Dossena officially complete now, on lfc.tv homepage...

"In England, they (Liverpool) are on the same level as Manchester United."

He's going to fit in well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

amazed he wasn't a boyhood fan.

Originally posted by Kev2411:

Barry's ability to seamlessly cover wide left or left full when needed makes him a better option than Alonso for you imo

I'd happily cover all parts of the pitch for Liverpool, but it doesnt make me a better player.

Originally posted by Moreclaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Showster:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Moreclaw:

How many times in the past has £3m been the difference between signing our first choice and signing our 2nd choice?

I don't know, how many times in the past has £3m been the difference between signing our first choice and signing our 2nd choice?

Rumour floating about that we might be interested in Crespo. Not sure how I'd feel about that tbh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alves, Simao, Berbatov. Off the top of my head. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alves - we agree a fee and then they raised it. Repeat. Another £3m becomes another £6m and so on

Simao - we had agreed a fee and he was waiting to fly to England when they pulled the plug

Berbatov - I knew we'd looked at him in late 2004 but I thought it didn't happen that Jan because we were drawn against them in the CL

Liverpool reportedly want to offer Steve Finnan to Aston Villa in a final bid to land Gareth Barry for less than the £18million asking price.

Barry's proposed move to Anfield has been one of the summer's longest transfer sagas but Martin O'Neill has accepted his skipper will leave, and has urged his counterpart Rafa Benitez to stump up the cash and get the deal done.

Liverpool do not want to pay much above £15million, though, and will now offer Finnan to the Villans to save money for their other summer targets.

O'Neill is a known admirer of the right-back and has been linked with a straight cash bid anyway, so Liverpool are hopeful they will finally be able to take Barry to Anfield.

The News of the World says Finnan will be valued at around £1.5million in the deal, with Villa due a further £500,000 if the Reds finish in the top four of the Premier League next season.

A source close to Liverpool said in the newspaper: "There has been so much haggling in the past week and the mood has been very tense at times but both sides seem to be close to deal."

Wouldn't mind Finnan leaving as part of the deal for Barry, but that whole package is too much. We need Barry to hand in that written transfer request and waive his loyalty payment. Would give us an indication of how much he really wants to join us.

oh we are back

busy day today

crouch out guthrie out

Cavalieri in

i read somewhere that barry is in the last year of his contract that cant be right. surely we are not stupid enough to spend £18m on someone we can get for free next summer.

anyone excited by the prospects of this season? i've tried to remain neutral to postive in case some good things happen. i have to say i fear none of that will happen. if anyone saw the article where rafa is portrayed as the 2nd hand salesman, i really do feel that's what this off-season has been. or at least that's the impression the club has allowed us fans to accept.

EDIT: In fact, it's even the image the club has portrayed.

dream on. the fact rafa said villa was on his list but he seems to mention we can't get him makes it clear to me. we have to make sure we make CL this year. not sure how rafa feels about that. nor any other manager for that matter.

it's pretty obvious that we've got little money to spend this summer so my hopes of anything 'big' happening are at zero. we're STILL in desperate need of a quality winger and until we resolve that position i won't be getting any high expectations for any season. obviously i'll hold out any judgment until i've seen all the transfer deals go through but at the moment it seems like rafa's had to settle for his second choice targets yet again and i fear the responsibility and pressure on torres to win us matches will be ridiculous.

Hello again lads.

Crouch :(:(:(:( (was more sad faces but the crappy new site limited me to four :/

Cavalieri's meant to be really good, so quite happy with the positive vibes there. Not bothered about Guthrie going. Happy we've still not signed Barry, delighted that Xabi now looks fairly likely to stay.

We've signed some dutch youth striker from AZ too apparantly. Lets hope he's more Babel than Brouwer.

Sad to see Crouch go as I was pretty fond of him, really offered something different up front and did well for us when given the chance, but I think the deal is best for all concerned.

This Summer's been a bit naff really. Its nice to have a supposedly useful left back but theres not much to get excited about, hopefully that changes in the next few weeks though.

Sincerely hope Alonso stays and we put the Barry money to good use out wide.

Rafa has been saying the Barry signing has not been dependent on selling Alonso though, which suggests he had the Barry money prior to selling anyone this summer.

Agree with Niggle that we should be selling Carson this summer - just hope he doesn't demand mega bucks wages from Stoke/Boro/WBA or whoever comes in for him. Anything around £5mill would be a good bit of business.

rafa does seem hesitant to try out his youngsters even though we have a lorry load of them, it's always been the case with him. with the lack of wingers it might of been worth keeping him this season and given him a few games of the bench, he can't do any worse than kewell or voronin did out wide last season.

hopefully rafa will let a few more like plessis step up and prove themselves as the reserves and youth have been very good the last few seasons.

So we're looking at Barry mainly, if he goes to Arsenal then i reckon we will get Silva, unless Valencia ask for OTT prices like they apparently did with Villa

Is Silva mainly a LM?

If he is im not too sure we should get him (assuming we dont get Barry) as it will mean even less games for Babel, who i think deserves alot more playing time

Any news on what formation we will be playing next season? Would like to see us with the 4-2-3-1 again, But hopefully not Kuyt on the right, instead maybe Benayoun. But i can see us going with a 4-4-2 if Barry comes in

Didnt know that :(

I dont see why we dont sign a RM, we have Pennant out there who just does silly things (give's away the ball and stupid free-kicks) well thats what i've seen him do when i've seen him play and Benayoun

Would like to see somebody like Joaquin, but again playing for Valencia, who does that Santi Cazorlo (sp?) play for who played for Spain at Euro ?

wouldn't be too against signing barry and keane at the expense of a winger if it meant keeping alonso.

----------reina-------------

arb---skrtel--agger--dossena

--------mascherano---------

--gerrard--xabi--barry-------

-----torres----keane--------

like spain played at the euros, with a lot less quality. i know it's 4 CMs but gerrard can roam free and barry has a decent delivery from wide. not ideal, but we blatantly don't have any money for a silva. wouldn't suprise me if this is in his mind with nothing seemingly happening with alonso and him still pushing the barry deal through. plus, he doesn't seem keen on any wingers out there.

Archived