Liverpool FC 2008/09

Moreclaw

Originally posted by BJG123:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EdBed:

Why don't people get that the club capt. isn't going to be very happy about being pushed out onto the right wing on a permanent basis?

He's the captain, not the manager, he doesn't get to decide where he plays ffs. For me it'd be worth the risk of ****ing him off and signing Villa to partner Torres, if he doesn't get annoyed, then your laughing all the way to the top of the premiership, if he does kick up a fuss, sod him, take 25 million for him and be happy knowing you have the best two strikers in the world up front. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting thought...Gerrard or villa lads if you had the choice? I'm actually torn on this one.

• Replies 17.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by jaycar:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BJG123:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EdBed:

Why don't people get that the club capt. isn't going to be very happy about being pushed out onto the right wing on a permanent basis?

He's the captain, not the manager, he doesn't get to decide where he plays ffs. For me it'd be worth the risk of ****ing him off and signing Villa to partner Torres, if he doesn't get annoyed, then your laughing all the way to the top of the premiership, if he does kick up a fuss, sod him, take 25 million for him and be happy knowing you have the best two strikers in the world up front. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting thought...Gerrard or villa lads if you had the choice? I'm actually torn on this one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gerrard.

Does it count as abuse if I tell Downing to **** off?

Yossi rumours back again, £5m to ajax, Spurs and someone else. Not a bad price, but squad size isn't that great anyway, and we could do with someone like him on the bench.

Originally posted by jaycar:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BJG123:

Interesting thought...Gerrard or villa lads if you had the choice? I'm actually torn on this one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the point is that it isn't a clear cut choice. If you sign Villa, you might be able to have them both happy playing in a system, or Gerrard might not like it and want to leave. If you don't sign Villa, then you definitely only have one of them - if that makes sense.

icon14.gif

I'm not actually that interested in signing Villa. Obviously i'd be excited if we did but what we (or, Benitez) needs to do is work out where Babel will play.

If he stays out on the left then we'd need someone for the right. Kuyt is a very good player but he's the weak link of the front 4. Alternately, Babel may be switched to the right which would mean we'd need a left sided player - or we could phase Babel in as a striker to partner Torres.

I'd rather sign someone who will fit into a specific role in the side that's been identified as needing to be improved, rather than shoe-horning a big name into a side whcih will become unbalanced.

i disagree. i would rather have more quality players and let the manager worry about the system.

there's no getting around the fact that you need top players. the best system in the world won't win you the premiership if your players aren't good enough.

if we got villa, great. let rafa worry about fitting him in. after all, any manager who can't find a way to fit torres, villa and gerrard into the same side is in the wrong profession.

Yep just got off the fone to some villa know-it all nobhead (don't even like the bloke). But he is a very very realiable sauce. Apparently Barry is rageing about it, he is well anyoned at being priced out of the move. But Villa wont budge on the price. Rafa does want Barry, but has pulled out as his price did not represent good business.

The stupid Villa fan rang me up trying to take the **** about Liverpool not being able to afford Barry. Even tho i dont care as i dont want him at Liverpool. Iv rang a few other people in the know at Villa, and Liverpool have defo pulled out, and everyone that knows Gareth Barry say he is going ape, and wants a talk with the Villa officals, he is desperate for the move to Liverpool to go through.

ha ha, getting interesting.

Just hurry up and hand in a written transfer request Gareth, Im sure you can forego a couple of mill loyalty money if you want it that much.

I wouldn't want to jepodise the Torres-Gerrard partnership. I've never been against moving Gerrard to the right, but that was always as a compromise to allow us to spend big upfront. Now we have our world class striker we can spend money out wide, so we have Gerrard in his favoured position, Torres being Torres AND a top class wide player - rather than having yet another juggling act (albeit a higher quality one).

Originally posted by Moreclaw:

I wouldn't want to jepodise the Torres-Gerrard partnership. I've never been against moving Gerrard to the right, but that was always as a compromise to allow us to spend big upfront. Now we have our world class striker we can spend money out wide, so we have Gerrard in his favoured position, Torres being Torres AND a top class wide player - rather than having yet another juggling act (albeit a higher quality one).

Agreed. Gerrard is looking great where he is and Torres looks great up front on his own. Plus we've been looking for a top-class wide player for many, many years. Babel could be one, but we still need another.

Can't wait to see our fans purring over Barry in a Liverpool shirt next season - he will fit into our side like a dream.

Heard today from a Boro supporting workmate with connections at the club that we have made a formal enquiry about Downing and are ready to make a solid 9mill bid for him. Club will no doubt reject it but the lad is adamant we are in for him and its not just paper talk.

i'll be amazed if we get 2m for that bag of crap. whats happening with carson anyway? one minute we're getting around 9m for him the next its all gone quite, abit like every other transfer tbh. wish we could just get rid of all the dead wood and slap a offer in for someone like silva.

i'll post some awesome pictures to cheer us all up ledge luis

itandje is another one who gets ridiculous stick. people expect him to come in once every 3 months and play like pepe or something?

i'm not saying he's good, but like voronin, people act like he's got the plague and he should be given away on a free asap.

West Brom wanted Carson on loan, but we refused because we want to sell him on. Paul Anderson has gone on loan to Forest too.

Originally posted by benkeat:

itandje is another one who gets ridiculous stick. people expect him to come in once every 3 months and play like pepe or something?

i'm not saying he's good, but like voronin, people act like he's got the plague and he should be given away on a free asap.

any keeper stepping in for as big a club as liverpool is shouldn't be so flappy and crap. and itandje was that. he was just awful when he came in, and they were against much weaker sides than we usually play.

how many times did he play? 4 or 5? in the first 1 or 2 he was alright. i seem to remember away at chelsea he was pretty decent?

i don't know what people expect from a reserve keeper. you should criticise rafa for playing him in cup games if you're going to knock anyone. reserve keepers should only really be used when there's injuries or nothing riding on the game.

to put an inexperienced keeper in (who has no experience of playing with his defenders) in a cup game where he can afford to make absolutely no mistakes whatsoever as it means we're out is a little foolish imo.

i'd personally prefer an older, more experienced back up and i don't think itandje is particularly good, it just amuses me to see people getting on his back so much when they're never really seen him play.

he's not inexperienced though. he was lens first choice keeper and was apparently in very high regard there. when we signed him i was surprised as obviously he wouldn't be getting much games, and he had a bright future so he was sort of knocking that back a bit, if not a lot. at least a years football anyways. plus, he was linked with united and barca before we signed him so he must of been good.

he's inexperienced in this league and with this group of players.

anyway, no idea why i'm trumpetting the man, just think that people sometimes take things as fact that someone is crap because of a slight bandwagon in motion, despite not looking at the bigger picture.

voronin is a prime example of this.

Originally posted by niggle:

whats happened to that bulgarian keeper do we actually own him or did the deal never go through because of the permit.

on loan at fc twente for another two seasons due to wp problems, i think.

Originally posted by J4m1e:

Aren't you one of the ones that use to always slag of Voronin, benkeat? I'm near sure of it...

Whether he was or not, the fact is there is a sizeable bandwagon of 'fans' who seem to believe he, like Zenden and Pellegrino before him, are due much more stick for our problems compared to other players.

The irony is these same fans seem to let much costlier members of the squad off relatively scot free.

From the papers this morning it seems Barry has played his ace card and demanded a move from Villa to Liverpool. Should weaken MON's hand and get the price down to a more realistic £12-13mill price tag.

Originally posted by J4m1e:

Aren't you one of the ones that use to always slag of Voronin, benkeat? I'm near sure of it...

i've been know to use the line 'get what you pay for' in relation to him, and i reckon he's pretty mediocre. just don't understand the complete vitriol aimed at him.

Originally posted by the_cote_kid:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J4m1e:

Whether he was or not, the fact is there is a sizeable bandwagon of 'fans' who seem to believe he, like Zenden and Pellegrino before him, are due much more stick for our problems compared to other players.

The irony is these same fans seem to let much costlier members of the squad off relatively scot free. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

kewell being the prime example.

it's all well and good saying we're too harsh on itandje and voronin and whoever because what should we expect when they only play a few times a season, and i agree to an extent, but given that they are fringe players and only really there to play a few times a season (well not really sure what rafa had in mind for voro) if they can't do that they aren;'t worth keeping. would much rather have some 35yr old with loads of experience than some up and coming keeper with **** loads of potential, but who is just gonig to come in and flap about.

you can't expect a player to come in every now and then and just slot into the side seemlessly with solid displays. even a great player would struggle to do it. you have to get used to your team mates and the managers system. itnadje especially.

if they were good enough to do that they'd be playing every week.

rafa shouldnt rotate keepers unless the game is needless, or he has an experienced, preferably veteran keeper to put in.

voronin just goes to show that we either need better squad players, or less rotation. you can't have it both ways. putting an average striker in the side once a month with no time to form partnerships or get form is never in a million years going to work.

but that's all beside the point really. they just don't deserve the stick they get.

I can see where ben is coming from. There should be other players, of whom we expect a lot more, who should be justifying their price tags and who should be a lot maligned.

He is not saying voro and itjande are world beaters. Just that we seemingly have warped opinions of them.

Archived