Liverpool FC 2008/09

Moreclaw

schweini is a superb example of chiselled teutonic efficiency, but he'd probably be turd for us because he doesn't have the agility to be a top class premiership winger and is a complete arsehole in terms of temperament.

so i'd prefer it if he just chilled at bayern perfecting his robotically germanic demeanour and giving other nations lessons in totally flair-free productivity when on international duty. just like i'd have preferred ballack never to go to chelsea.

• Replies 17.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by JK Galgreefe:

schweini is a superb example of chiselled teutonic efficiency, but he'd probably be turd for us because he doesn't have the agility to be a top class premiership winger and is a complete arsehole in terms of temperament.

so i'd prefer it if he just chilled at bayern perfecting his robotically germanic demeanour and giving other nations lessons in totally flair-free productivity when on international duty. just like i'd have preferred ballack never to go to chelsea.

didi the winger :*)

people are unbelievably deluded. we are the ones who have robbed roma for the riise fee, not the other way round.

abysmal footballer, confidence shot, contract at an end and we're in the process of signing a new LB. how much were people expecting?

personally, if i were a roma fan i'd rather the club donated that £4m to lazio than spend it on riise.

xabi was quality the other night. sickens me watching his fee fall and barry's rise. we are a complete embarassment of a club.

Originally posted by GoodIdea:

Wouldnt mind Jimmy Bullard if we are going for cheap players.

A work rate just as good as Kujt, can put a very good cross in, decent technique for an englishman, and would be our free kick taker.

not a goodidea.

Originally posted by GoodIdea:

Better than everything we have on the right now.

Someones changed their tune. First it was that we can't get Villa because then we'd have to change formation and drop Kuyt, now this....

What do you mean? Bullard would happily play in th formation we do now.

Lets face it, Bullard for 5 million would be a steal. Grafter and a good footy player. You cant deny his work rate, and ability to take a freekick or cross.

Originally posted by JK Galgreefe:

admittedly i havent seen much of schweinsteiger, but he is the best player i have ever seen play against wales in all the years i have watched them. and it takes more than flair-free productivity to get that reaction

Originally posted by The Rafalution:

First XI in a team with no need whatsoever to sell, 23 years old, first choice in the national team, and I think the fans like him too. He won't go cheap

Been linked with SIlva in some paper today. probably just paper talk.

Rafa Benitez may have to go cap in hand to Liverpool's American owners again after identifying £20million-rated Spain winger David Silva as the answer to his search for more width.

The Liverpool manager believes he can talk Valencia into parting with a player dubbed the new Pablo Aimar but may have greater difficulty persuading co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett to meet the asking price.

Already having to wheel and deal to raise £15million for Aston Villa midfielder Gareth Barry, Benitez has been made aware funds are scarce.

He sees the capture of 22-year old Silva, who can operate on either flank or just behind the main striker, as a statement of intent, though, and is exploring ways of funding a deal.

Sourcey Mcsourceaton

No way would he cost £20m unless a bidding war started.

He'd cost 20miliion if Valencia say he costs 20million.

Silly season as always at the moment. Looking forward to the Croatia/Turkey match tonight to see who we get linked with after that

yea, think voro will stay, unless someone activley comes in for him. tbf, if we are getting in a new wing ( god i hope we do) then i see kuyt as main abck up forward, what with us having babel as well voronin isn't that bad a third/fourth choice.

Originally posted by Jearm84:

Voronin gets more stick than he deserves tbh.

yes he'll never be world class but he's not the worst striker we've had in the last few years

name a striker we have had in the last 10 years worse than him because i cant think of one. voronin offers apsolutly nothing. he is not going though as rafa sees him as cover for gerrard as well as playing up top.

Originally posted by niggle:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jearm84:

Voronin gets more stick than he deserves tbh.

yes he'll never be world class but he's not the worst striker we've had in the last few years

name a striker we have had in the last 10 years worse than him because i cant think of one. voronin offers apsolutly nothing. he is not going though as rafa sees him as cover for gerrard as well as playing up top. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Diouf

Morientes (yes him i don't care if he was a superstar with real and Monaco-he was ****ing **** for us and had a ****poor goals to games)

Erik Meijer (though he is excused as he is cult)

Sean Dundee

In Voronin's early days he did quite well for us as he played to his strengths and got involved in buildups all the time. In that 8-0 against Besiktas he must have contributed to about 4-5 of the goals.

The problem was as time went on and the goals dried up he resorted to have 30 yard potshots whenever the ball arrived at his feet. And his shooting is woeful.

Gillett - Time is a healer

Reds co-owners begin to build bridges

George Gillett has revealed that he and fellow Liverpool co-owner Tom Hicks are attempting to rebuild their strained business relationship.

The American duo endured a much-publicised bust-up last season and Gillett, who is thought to be keen to sell his share in the Reds, went as far as to describe the partnership as 'unworkable'.

However, Gillett now insists that he and Hicks are attempting to build bridges in order to help Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez mount a realistic challenge for the Premier League next season.

"It's fair to say that communication between the Hicks and the Gilletts has been substantially improved and I believe that it will be for the benefit of the club," Gillett told Canadian radio station Fan590.

"Time is a healer and there were things that had happened previously. It took a while for both of us to realise that we weren't communicating very well and the huge responsibility we have to the fans to do the right thing for the club.

"I believe that the Hicks family are communicating better with us and we're communicating better with them and I think that will be much better for the club."

However, Gillett refused to give a direct answer when asked if he was still interested in selling his share, saying: "I'm not going to comment on anything specifically."

Gillett, though, expects improvements next season and has hinted that Benitez will be supported in the transfer market, where Aston Villa captain Gareth Barry is a top target.

"All of us are focused on the transfer window and we want to be ready for that," added Gillett.

"We want to have adequate resources and good communication with Rafa and our hope is that we're making better progress.

"For a club that has a history of winning trophies, any season that you don't win one of the five or six trophies that we compete for, I suspect the fans, as well as the Hicks and Gilletts, are disappointed.

"We have to help Rafa try and be more competitive in the chase for the Premier League."

Well isn't that sweet.

goals are everything of course.

let me rephrase

mori leading a 4-5-1 > voronin leading a 4-5-1

rephrase it how you like, he was still absolutely ****, Voronin was never bought as a main striker, he was his job was to score-he rarely did unless it was an unmissable chance.

goals are everything of course.

let me rephrase

mori leading a 4-5-1 > voronin leading a 4-5-1

says a lot about morientes that there's arguements of whether or not he was a better signing than voronin.

and i agree with jearm, if you think voronin was worse than meijer or dundee you are clueless beyond help.

Voronin struggled with injuries during the middle of the season, and when you don't get a run of games to get your form back you will struggle. No point in moving him on as he offers good cover for the attack and probably deserves another season based on his early season form.

Not that sold on Silva tbh. Although I haven't seen a great deal of him, the performances I have seen from him don't warrant that of a 10mill plus player.

Archived