Liverpool FC 2008/09

Moreclaw

• Replies 17.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Transfer rumours: Daily Telegraph

John Arne Riise's switch to Roma has cleared the way for Liverpool to sign Udinese left-back Andrea Dossena for £7m.

Liverpool are expected to make a fourth offer for Aston Villa's Gareth Barry with the clubs expected to finalise the deal for the midfielder this week, as well as raiding cash-strapped Valencia for midfielder David Silva.

David Villa is considering a move to Anfield, where he would team up with fellow Spaniards Rafa Benitez and Fernando Torres. However, according to Benitez, he is not currently a Liverpool target. The Liverpool Echo claims Benitez is not interested in the Valencia forward, despite reports linking them with a bid for the Spanish striker.

Xabi Alonso is on the verge of joining Juventus, as long as the Italian club meets Liverpool's £15 million asking price, while Liverpool are being linked with a £6 million move for Arsenal's Nicklas Bendtner.

Udinese left-back Andrea Dossena reportedly signed for the club last week, although no official confirmation has been made. Things are not looking so certain concerning Spanish international winger Albert Riera after Espanyol turned down a £9.5 million offer.

Peter Crouch is now being valued at £10 million while Steve Finnan, whose place in the first team has been undermined by the arrival of Philipp Degen, is being tracked by Aston Villa and West Brom.

Why on earth are Liverpool being linked with Bendtner?

I'll jump on the bandwagon and say that as of this moment I'd prefer arshavin to villa or silva.

----------------------------------torres-------------------------------

---------babel----------------arshavin------------gerrard--------

would just be lovely.

Babel is going to be immense next season - decided I am going to get his name on my new shirt.

Agree with Daaaaave that Arshavin would be a better option than the two spaniards, but he will end up somewhere like Barca, United or Arsenal. Totally at a loss as to who we will get as our wide attacking player for the first team this summer.

According to .tv, the confirmed friendlys so far.

July 12: v Tranmere (Wirral)

July 16: v FC Lucerne (Grenchen)

July 19: v Wisla Krakow (Friborg)

July 22: v Hertha Berlin (Berlin)

July 30: v Villarreal (Villarreal)

August 2: v Rangers (Glasgow)

August 5: v Valerengen (Oslo)

But I was sure I heard something about us playing Valencia at Anfield.

Originally posted by PoopyPants:

According to .tv, the confirmed friendlys so far.

July 12: v Tranmere (Wirral)

July 16: v FC Lucerne (Grenchen)

July 19: v Wisla Krakow (Friborg)

July 22: v Hertha Berlin (Berlin)

July 30: v Villarreal (Villarreal)

August 2: v Rangers (Glasgow)

August 5: v Valerengen (Oslo)

But I was sure I heard something about us playing Valencia at Anfield.

no wrexham? :*(

What are your thoughts on El Zhar?

He has scored 2 in 5 for the Morrocan national team, but isn't even one of the biggest names in the reserves (eg. behing Nemeth, Plessis, Insua and the likes).

Will he ever be good enough for Liverpool?

Originally posted by jep:

Babel is going to be immense next season - decided I am going to get his name on my new shirt.

Agree with Daaaaave that Arshavin would be a better option than the two spaniards, but he will end up somewhere like Barca, United or Arsenal. Totally at a loss as to who we will get as our wide attacking player for the first team this summer.

As much as I love Arshavin, Silva will become the best attacking midfielder in the world in a few years time. Sign him imo.

Originally posted by Flabarama:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez is demanding £50m to secure the transfers of David Villa, Daniel Alves, David Silva and Gareth Barry. (The Mirror)

brilliant.

hasn't alves joined barca anyways? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep. Genius journalism.

£50m to buy that lot as well, superb. Seeing as Alves went for ~£25m and Barry's seemingly going for £15m at least, £10m for Villa and Silva seems just a tad optimistic.

RAFA RUBBISHES TRANSFER DEMAND STORIES

Jimmy Rice 24 June 2008

Rafa Benitez has rubbished reports claiming he has demanded a £50m transfer kitty this summer.

The Anfield boss woke up this morning to several stories suggesting he would make expensive demands of the club's American co-chairman – a claim the Spaniard denies.

"The stories are ridiculous. Total rubbish," said Benitez.

"They have me trying to sign Daniel Alves, who already has an agreement with Barcelona, so how could I be trying to sign him?

"I am working hard with Rick Parry, who is in regular contact with the Americans, and there are no problems.

"The reports are just unbelievable."

Leeds United have been given the chance to sign Krisztian Nemeth and Astrit Ajdarevic on loan from Liverpool.

Both players will join up with the club for pre-season training with an opportunity to work alongside United's first-team next month as Gary McAllister considers the possibility of adding the pair to his squad for the 2008-09 League One campaign.

ENABLING WORKS START ON NEW LFC STADIUM

Liverpoolfc.tv 24 June 2008

Liverpool City Council granted full planning permission on June 19 to Liverpool Football Club to build a 60,000 seater stadium and outline planning permission for a mixed use development on the existing Anfield stadium site.

The stadium will incorporate a club shop, conference and banqueting facilities, parking for almost 1,000 vehicles and a Community Partnership centre. Its design is ultimately capable of accommodating up to 73,000 people subject to further planning permission.

LFC has instructed Laing O'Rourke to commence enabling works under a licence issued by the Liverpool City Council. Works started on June 23.

Co-chairman George Gillett said: "This is a significant milestone for the club and I am delighted that the design received full planning consent and that we are now on site.

"We have been working very hard over the last six months to move the details of the design along but this is the first tangible evidence for fans that a New LFC Stadium will be built.

"The stadium design is unique and will be recognised across the world as the Liverpool FC Stadium. It incorporates a Kop stand that will hold 18,000 fans and we hope that the stadium will be as noisy and atmospheric on a matchday as Anfield."

Co-chairman Tom Hicks added: "We recognise the importance of a new LFC Stadium as part of the wider regeneration of the local area.

"We have watched the council transform Stanley Park over the last six months and the ongoing refurbishment of houses in the Anfield/ Breckfield area. I am pleased that now the club has received full planning permission it can join the regeneration process with the commencement of enabling works."

The stadium is on programme to open for the beginning of the 2011-12 season.

Originally posted by Mardy_Bum:

Nemeth as good as the leeds fan sites are making him out to be then? 9 in 9 for the reserves last season?

Nemeth is awesomely good, his strength and heading ability need to be worked on, but he's a great finisher.

I'm sure it would have been even more for the reserves but he missed numerous games due to Hungary U21 call ups.

Would he have a good chance of starting or likely to be backup to Beckford and somebody else?

Originally posted by Ollie1307:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jep:

As much as I love Arshavin, Silva will become the best attacking midfielder in the world in a few years time. Sign him imo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

this sounds suspiciously like fm talk to me. different leagues appeal to different players. I'm not convinced silva would be as good in england as in spain.

Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Flabarama:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez is demanding £50m to secure the transfers of David Villa, Daniel Alves, David Silva and Gareth Barry. (The Mirror)

brilliant.

hasn't alves joined barca anyways? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep. Genius journalism.

£50m to buy that lot as well, superb. Seeing as Alves went for ~£25m and Barry's seemingly going for £15m at least, £10m for Villa and Silva seems just a tad optimistic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

not that I agree with the article, but I'm assuming that they're assuming the reader understands liverpool might sell a player or two as well?

Fairly generous of the Mirror to assume their readers understand anything to be honest.

'Demanding £50m' would imply to me that that's the investment he wants from the owners. Would take it as read that any money recouped from sales would automatically be available to spend but maybe that's just me.

Nemeth will rock at Leeds - give him the ball and he will get you plenty of goals, especially at league one level. Good to see Gary Mac using his contacts well. Good move for him to get some proper first team action and the long hard slog of an english football season.

Thought we had decided to release Ajdarevic as he didn't make the grade. I know we were due to pay around 750k for him if he made first team appearances so that may have influenced Rafa's decision to get rid of him.

Originally posted by The Rafalution:

Anything more on Portsmouth bidding for Crouch yet?

Will be quite interesting to see how Silva does against Germany should they meet, I'd say they're quite like an EPL team in defensive style.

Schweinsteiger will snap him in two.

Originally posted by PoopyPants:

What are your thoughts on El Zhar?

He has scored 2 in 5 for the Morrocan national team, but isn't even one of the biggest names in the reserves (eg. behing Nemeth, Plessis, Insua and the likes).

Will he ever be good enough for Liverpool?

tbf he's a couple of years older than Nemeth etc, so it's a bit unfair.

El Zhar looks a decentish sort of player, but if he ever played for us in a meaningful game i'd be surprised.

Originally posted by The Rafalution:

Anything more on Portsmouth bidding for Crouch yet?

Will be quite interesting to see how Silva does against Germany should they meet, I'd say they're quite like an EPL team in defensive style.

aside from the rejected bid not really

Originally posted by Moreclaw:

Given the contract situation, £9m isn't bad. He's worth more if contracts weren't an issue, but I can't see us getting more.

Thats my way of looking at it as well. It's similar to the Owen situation in that we know he won't sign a new deal, and we will get nowhere near his actual value now.

Kuty or Babel or Voronin

If we get a great winger I'd be okay with Babel Kuyt Winger or Winger Babel Kuyt

Having a player we can get maybe £12m for who is only going to play when one other person is injured just seems a bit ridiculous, given the lack of funds we have for players.

Addd in to that Crouch doesn't work particularly well in a 4-3-3 and that we could probably pick up someone who can do that job for a lot less (if we even need anyone) and I just don't think he's worth keeping.

if we are going to get wingers we should get wingers. not forwards, wingers - with the exception of villa.

podolski is no where near villa's talents, and i just can't see him doing even half as decent out in the wing than some of the names being linked with us such as bentley, silva, mancini. whoever. even milner would do a better job out there.

he probaly doesn't even want to play out on the wing. he's leaving bayern for first-team football as he's not getting that up front with klose and toni there so why would he settle for a place on the bench here behind torres?

basically i just don't think there's any chance of us moving for him. good player up yeah, but we've settled down on our formation choice and rafa himself has stated that he's looking for players in certain positions for the 4-2-3-1. i'm fairly sure of this as we'd therefore be looking at loads of players linked with us for up front than just villa.

Torres/Babel/Kuyt/Podolski/Gerrard/Winger with Voronin and Yossi as back up. I don't think that's too many players for the 4 positions at al, and the first 6 would get plenty of games. Sell Crouch, sell Pennant.

Of course it all depends on who we sell and how much we have to spend, and I agree it's a winger we primarily need. I wasn't saying we should just sign Podolski for our attacking needs, and if money went on him and no winger was brought I'd be ****ed off, but any player we do buy to be a back up for Torres should also be able to play out wide, and Podolski has drifted out left for Germany quite well in the Euros and seems to have a decent cross.

Of course it all depends what the fee is for him, and I've still got a bad feeling Pennant will stay.

Archived