Liverpool FC 2008/09

Moreclaw

Disagree entirely. MON has screwed him over with his refusal to negotiate. If we end up walking away from this deal then Villa have no-one to blame but themselves and Barry will more than likely walk next summer for a pittance in comparison to this summer

I wouldn't feel too sorry for Barry, it's not like he's forgone his loyalty payment by handing in a transfer request to help move things along

• Replies 17.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's MON's fault.

We look stupid if we just constantly cave to his high demands. If the deal doesn't go ahead, I think "public opinion" would say they were asking too much for Barry. Barry would be left ina tough spot but we can't be expected to pay whatever Villa want just because Barry wants to leave.

I know we've dangled the carrot infront of him, but it's not as if we haven't repeatedly upped our bids and met Villa most of the way.

I'm actually quite pleased that we haven't just waded in and paid over the odds for Barry. The best scenairo for me and that we keep Alonso and use the funds for a wide player, but sometimes its hard to know what Rafa is thinking in the transfer market.

Still worry about how we'd cope if Torres was to get injured as well, but supposing that we stick with the same system, then a winger is priority one.

Its not quite that bad, obviously for some reason Rafa was of the opinion that Barry would be more effective than Alonso in the system and so if he could get the former and recoup most of the fee from selling the latter then it would be a decent deal.

I agree though, we don't need Barry, and I hope it doesn't happen, but at least there was some logic to it from Rafa's point of view. Whats more worrying is the time we've wasted chasing Barry.

I know Barry hasn't covered himself in glory but we've f*cked him right over if we end up not buying him. Thoroughly feasible now.

the club that is the selling club has a valuation hey have. the buying club has a valuation. i hope that these are still distances apart. Juve not buying Alonso must surely have an impact on transfer policy as well.

i see inter have signed mancini for £10m we must be saving our money for milner.

this news sadden me a bit. not that i thought we could get him ahead of inter, but that we were seemingly never in the chase. but the seeming lack of success of italy to england top players should perhaps give us some comfort. but i still like him.

i was in favour of getting barry at the start as i think and still do think that he'll bring more balance and play better all round than alonso did last season so it would imo be improving on the team. however if alonso is staying than its not worth the time, money and headache

of fitting him in the team. alonso, masch, gerrard, lucas and a upcoming plessis is more than enough without trying to shoehorn another CM in there.

buy a winger you lovely spanish fool.

pleased the barry deal look dead, i was not against him if the difference in money was about a million, but to take a £5m+ hit would of been madness glad that we didn't cave in for a change.

ideal situation for me now is that barry buys the last year of his contract next summer & signs on a free.

I'm surprised no other team is seemingly in for Xabi tbh. If it does come down to him staying it will be interesting to see how he reacts to knowing we were happy to replace him.

Also, i'm not convinced this Barry deal is completely dead yet. If we do end up with him and Xabi stays while no decent wide player is bought (not Reira/Milner) i will be most unhappy.

i see inter have signed mancini for £10m we must be saving our money for milner.

This I just can't understand, we're blatantly desperate for a proper winger and have been for years and yet we make no effort at a very reasonable price.

Disappointing summer so far transfer wise, nice to have an upgrade to Riise but we look woefully inadequate to compete with the top two.

He did and played well according to what some people posted here.

He came off his line and took a decent catch, which makes him much better than Carson already.

Would expect him to get a good run out in tonights friendly, which should be a bit more competitive.

The Insua move is a loan, which wouldn't be the worst idea in the world seeing as he has little chance of first team action with us this season (unless Aurelio gets injured AGAIN !!!)

On another note it seems, according to some well informed posters on other LFC forums, that we are near a deal for Robbie Keane. Would be delighted if we got him, but the fee is around £20mill which is a fair whack of our budget I would imagine.

Keane, Torres, Gerrard and Babel - lovely.

Barry deal isn't dead. The sides are just playing chicken.

I'm torn on the Keane thing as I think that teammates don't like him (I don't remember why - but it was rational).

I don't care how much Liverpool spend... it's not as if it is my money.

Keane is a top drawer player, I'm delighted we're interested in him.

He's a proven Premiership player, is a good team player, and has consistently scored goals for years. He is somebody who would genuinely improve our first XI and bring us closer to the teams above us. Perfect.

Like we are going to spend 20+ Million on a 28 year old striker...

Highly unlikely to say the least.

We are obviously skint since nothing has happened over the past month besides us selling our squad players.

I do believe Barry might be better than Xabi in the league but I don't want Barry at 18 million and I do not want both

of them at the club when the season starts.

I would actually perfer to sell Xabi and since we are skint use the cash on a winger. Cause we have neither a left winger

or a right winger good enough. And even then we need a 2nd striker before more central midfielders.

Gerrard, Mash, Lucas and Plessis would be alright with me then.

Keeping our attacking options as they are now and add Barry/Xabi to our CM would be a disaster since

Kuyt has the skill level and scoring threat of a *****.

It's not that Torres isn't great but if he is injured the season is over, period. No ifs, buts and so on.

It would be over. Even now playing 4-4-2 would be playing with fire.

Thursday's papers seem to disagree with you...

Liverpool step up pursuit of Robbie Keane

Oliver Kay and Gary Jacob

Liverpool have stepped up their efforts to sign Robbie Keane from Tottenham Hotspur as the impasse continues over the protracted deal to sign Gareth Barry. Rafael BenÍtez has identified Keane as an ideal strike partner for Fernando Torres and, with Barry’s move from Aston Villa being held up by a disagreement over the transfer fee, the Liverpool manager has instructed his board to try to conclude a deal by the start of next week.

Tottenham maintain that they are unwilling to sell either Keane or Dimitar Berbatov, the Bulgaria forward, who has been the subject of a bid from Manchester United, but Liverpool and United believe that Tottenham, having been informed of both players’ determination to move, will sell at the right price.

Both players are on Tottenham’s preseason training camp in Spain for the next week, but Keane could be flown to Merseyside - or to Switzerland, where Liverpool are preparing for the new campaign - if the club are able to agree a fee, which is likely to be in the region of £18 million, over the coming days.

Accelerating the pursuit of Keane would suggest a change of priorities on BenÍtez’s part, but the Liverpool manager remains committed to a deal for Barry, even though he would be unable to sign both players without first selling Xabi Alonso.

Related Links

Liverpool weigh options as Barry deal stalls

Anfield exodus to fund Keane bid

Bosingwa ready for anything - even Pedersen

Arsenal have been linked with moves for Barry and Alonso as Arsène Wenger, the North London club’s manager, looks to fill the hole left by the departures of Mathieu Flamini to AC Milan and Gilberto Silva, who is set to join Panathinaikos. Liverpool do not take those reports seriously, though, and are confident that they will find an overseas buyer for Alonso, such as Atlético Madrid, before concluding a deal for Barry.

Villa are standing by their £18 million valuation of Barry, but despite the England midfield player’s return to preseason training yesterday, his departure appears inevitable. Martin O’Neill, the Villa manager, is willing to accept Steve Finnan as a makeweight in a deal for Barry, but he has taken issue with Liverpool’s valuation of the full back at £3 million. Villa expect to sign Brad Friedel, the goalkeeper, from Blackburn Rovers for a fee of £2.5 million.

Liverpool are reportedly ready to pay Tottenham £20 million in an attempt to capture Ireland captain Keane, making the striker one of the world's costliest players, while Manchester United are thought to be closing in on Berbatov for £28 million.

But Spurs are understood to have greeted the news on Keane with little concern, confident the player will remain at the club having signed a new five-year contract last May.

Keeping hold of Berbatov will prove more difficult with the Bulgarian international's agent insistence that the 27-year-old wants to play Champions League football.

Following Jermain Defoe's departure to Portsmouth last season, Spurs would face a serious shortage in their strike department should the pair opt to leave, with Sunderland target Darren Bent as their only recognised striker.

However the north London outfit remain convinced the duo will stay for next season.

Rafa getting closer to clinching Keane deal

By Sportsmail Reporter Last updated at 10:33 PM on 16th July 2008

Comments (0) Add to My Stories

New offer: Robbie Keane

Robbie Keane is edging closer to a dream move to Anfield with Liverpool expected to submit an improved offer for the Tottenham striker within the next 48 hours.

Rafa Benitez has shifted his focus from Gareth Barry to Keane following the collapse of Xabi Alonso's £15m move to Juventus.

Please be true.

Got to say I am stunned that people are questioning a deal for Robbie Keane. The lad is a proven class act in the Premier League and guarantees goals which can only benefit us. Would people rather we bought a winger who may score 8-10 goals a season or a striker who will score 20 goals? I would go for the striker any day of the week thanks.

If we get him we will have 3 players who are genuine proven 20+ goals a season players in Torres, Gerrard and Keane - not many teams can boast that kind of firepower.

Archived