The Official USA Thread

spartans5

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
USA V Ghana it is then. Very winnable IMO. Then if you get through it will be either Uruguay or S.Korea, and if you play Uruguay it will be very tough but not impossible. Could play Spin in the Semi finals though :D

And we've beaten them recently. :cool:

You stay classy, Algeria

PRETORIA, South Africa – Algeria soccer player Rafik Saifi slapped a female journalist across the face as the aftermath of the United States’ dramatic World Cup victory turned ugly at Loftus Versfeld Stadium on Wednesday night.

While walking through the interview zone, Saifi spotted writer Asma Halimi, who works for Algerian newspaper Competition, and struck her with his open hand in front of dozens of witnesses. Halimi responded by striking the player in the mouth.

Saifi then threw a sports drink bottle at a wall in the interview area, as Halimi was ushered away by security staff.

Saifi came on as substitute for the last five minutes of the USA’s 1-0 victory.

“I said nothing to him and he reached over and hit me,” Halimi said to Yahoo! Sports. “So I hit him back. I said nothing to him first.”

It is understood that Saifi and Halimi had previously had a difference of opinion over an article she wrote for her newspaper.

“She was standing there and the guy came here and he hit her,” said Francisco Aguilar Chang, a reporter from Guatemala who witnessed the incident. “Then she hit him back and her nail caught his lip.”

Saifi and Algerian football association officials refused to comment when quizzed by Yahoo! Sports.

The Algerian team has come under heavy criticism in its homeland after a disappointing World Cup in which it finished at the bottom of Group C and was knocked out of the tournament.

When asked if she would launch an official complaint with governing body FIFA and the Algerian F.A., Halimi replied: “Of course.”

Yup, for Ghana. Unless I'm missing something the Black Stars have a 100% win ratio in competitive matches against the US :p

They're all difficult opponents at this stage, but I'd rather take my chances with Ghana than Germany.

Bill Plaschke sounding like an English sportswriter. :D

And getting smacked down by Bob Ryan and Tony Reali. :thup:

Bill Plaschke is speaking loads of crap. It's just annoying to hear him say "we beat algeria and are so excited about this?????????"

That was embarrassing to listen to, saying we should be making the quarterfinals/"final 4" to move the sport forward.

Bill Plaschke is speaking loads of crap. It's just annoying to hear him say "we beat algeria and are so excited about this?????????"

That was embarrassing to listen to, saying we should be making the quarterfinals/"final 4" to move the sport forward.

It was embarrassing, but it was also nice to see Cowlishaw, Ryan and Reali (and even Paige!) educate him.

oh dear, I don't look forward to Wilbon and Kornheiser blowing smoke about soccer on PTI in 15 minutes.

Kornheiser might, but Wilbon tends to be more realistic.

Wilbon strikes me as a guy who's not a fan, but respects the sport and tries to get at least a superficial knowledge. Kornheiser doesn't even try that.

Plaschke is an embarrassment to journalism. Bob Ryan is the man. Reali is okay. Everyone else on that show sucks.

I miss Fire Joe Morgan. Shame the writers has to quit to work on Parks and Recreation. Well, I like that show too, but FJM is probly my favorite blog ever.

Oh, and Wilbon was on ESPN Radio calling in to the Scott van Pelt show, saying he was hauling ass to get back to the studio and watch Germany v. Ghana. Said he thought it was awesome, but thought that any comparisons to the Miracle on Ice should be shot down - and he's right about that though.

Plaschke is an embarrassment to journalism. Bob Ryan is the man. Reali is okay. Everyone else on that show sucks.

I miss Fire Joe Morgan. Shame the writers has to quit to work on Parks and Recreation. Well, I like that show too, but FJM is probly my favorite blog ever.

Oh, and Wilbon was on ESPN Radio calling in to the Scott van Pelt show, saying he was hauling ass to get back to the studio and watch Germany v. Ghana. Said he thought it was awesome, but thought that any comparisons to the Miracle on Ice should be shot down - and he's right about that though.

Bob Ryan is tolerable outside of the NFL season only.

None of those guys on Around the Horn know anything about soccer, there is no sense getting riled up about anything those blowhards have to say. I honestly don't even know anyone who watches that show at all, let alone to get their thoughts on soccer.

So, I stopped by Modell's on my way home thinking I'd get myself a US jersey and they only sold Spain, Germany and Brazil... WTF????
if you can find anywhere with a large in stock, can you buy me one? I can't find any in atlanta and would be willing to cover everything (cost of shirt/shipping/something for your time and effort).

you've got my cell iirc.

None of those guys on Around the Horn know anything about soccer, there is no sense getting riled up about anything those blowhards have to say. I honestly don't even know anyone who watches that show at all, let alone to get their thoughts on soccer.

Bob Ryan does. I remember back in 2004 him bringing up Denmark and Sweden's arrangement to allow both to get through the group stage in the Euro Championship.

Also remember him writing a column in (I think) 2002 blasting soccer haters.

if you can find anywhere with a large in stock, can you buy me one? I can't find any in atlanta and would be willing to cover everything (cost of shirt/shipping/something for your time and effort).

you've got my cell iirc.

I'll take a look and yes I have your cell. Incidently, I'm flying to Atlanta for work on July 12th and back to NYC on the 15th so I might even be able to save you the shipping cost :D

you've got my cell iirc.

still waiting for the one I ordered from BornProsper in May to come in. I'll be disputing it if it's not in by Saturday

Around the Horn is terrible, I actually don't know anyone who watches it either.

I watch Around the Horn if it's on. I find it amusing that so many people can be wrong all at the same time. :p

Whenever they talk about soccer, Tony Reali literally gives up within a minute because nobody has any idea what they're talking about. Before the World Cup I remember him asking them about injuries, and they went the entire segment without mentioning the name of a single player who was injured. A few days later they had it down, don't worry. :rolleyes:

Yeah, USA jerseys are way sold out. I believe there are some damaged Honduras away jerseys still left. In X-Small.

the place I talked to here in Austin said that Nike is way understocked and they aren't expecting anything else anytime soon.

I watch Around the Horn if it's on. I find it amusing that so many people can be wrong all at the same time. :p

This is pretty much why I watch. That and it's entertaining. In a slo-mo car crash sort of way.

Late to the party, but can I just say... Holy. ****.

From out of the tournament to group winners in 11 seconds. This WC has been an emotional rollercoaster; I'm going to have to spend the next few days getting myself mentally prepared for Saturday. If we ever had a chance to get to the semis this is it, although I'm not getting my hopes up just yet.

I'm hoping we play:

Altidore - Dempsey

Donovan - Bradley - Edu - Holden/Feilhaber

Bocanegra - Onyewu (if healthy) - DeMerit - Cherundolo

Archived