The Official USA Thread

spartans5

Making the right half time decisions only gets a 'two for trying' kind of credit.

I think it counts against him after four games. You know what the right lineup is - you've seen it playing - start with those players from the very beginning.

Also a centerback with pace would've helped. Demerit was out to sea for both Ghana goals.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
USSF need to send out a binding order for all youth coaches to force their best players to play center and fullback.

Not just that, but also that just being quick isn't good enough to make it as a striker at the top level since the defenders will be just as fast.

Eh to Clark is getting waaaaaaaaaaay to much blame from what I am seeing.

Was he the right choice to start based on how Edu was playing...probably not however he was not the reason we lost or even let that early goal in, people lose the ball in midfield, impossible to expect that not to happen.

No way, he gave away the ball in a way I 90% doubt Edu would have with no one between him and the defense. Feel bad for the guy, but he takes the blame.

Bradley takes the blame. He just should not have been tempted. Clark has simply not been up to speed. 5 minutes in and it was obvious. 30 minutes in and he is subbed. Just awful.

No way, he gave away the ball in a way I 90% doubt Edu would have with no one between him and the defense. Feel bad for the guy, but he takes the blame.

Edu lost the ball plenty of times in the same situation we just did not give up a goal.

It was just a perfect storm of USA mistakes and a good finish.

I just don't want to see Clark used as the scapegoat it was not all his fault clearly.

Clark's a midfield destroyer, he needs to sit back and provide cover for more advanced midfielders. He's not suited to play in a 4-4-2 for us.

This. The only reason Clark ever got into the team was for his play in Houston, where he played at the bottom of a diamond midfield. With the Nats we tried to ask him to take on a different role and it just didn't suit him.

the simple fact is that there's nothing clark does that edu doesn't do better except cover ground and even he didn't even have that because he looked completely lost after he picked up that stupid yellow and played himself right out of the game.

plenty of blame to go around but anyone who doesn't start with bradley's lineup and tactics is a buffoon.

Edu did not give up the ball in any situations nearly as dangerous. I'm not scapegoating Clark (I've actually always thought he was quite a good player), but Bradley set us up for failure by playing him when he's clearly been off the pace.

Exactly the point. Was shouting about it as soon as I saw the lineup.

Right my point is not that Clark is some amazing player, we know what we have with him. I just don't want people to put this all on him, would be silly to do so and ignore the other mistakes that got made along the way.

The main issues are why was Findley let alone Clark starting?

To late to change anything now, I hope Jozy is four years better next go round and does some scoring.

I'd probably say Bob Bradley has to go after this. The decision to start Clark as well as the continuous conceding of early goals definitely have to count against him. It isn't as bad as having to pay to bring in a high-priced foreigner in to manage the team, but I don't see it working long-term with him in charge. We're still probably 12-20 years away from really contending for this aren't we?

tbf, our lack of depth kind of got exposed.

We see that we have no reliable strikers after Altidore and Davies.

Even our starting defenders are shaky.

We're strong in goalkeeping and midfield. So...we start playing 3-6-1?

Confed Cup final is basically extra credit for meeting the goal of getting into the 16. So I believe Bob will be back if he wants to.

Not great, but there really aren't any high-profile foreign coaches available. We'd probably be looking at someone like LeGuen. Hiddink is already going to Turkey, and that's the only one (save maybe Klinsmann, but I don't know if that ship has sailed) that would really excitement.

I think it counts against him after four games. You know what the right lineup is - you've seen it playing - start with those players from the very beginning.

Also a centerback with pace would've helped. Demerit was out to sea for both Ghana goals.

Didn't help that Bocanegra pulled up and stopped running after the initial bumping on the second one.

tbf, our lack of depth kind of got exposed.

We see that we have no reliable strikers after Altidore and Davies.

Even our starting defenders are shaky.

We're strong in goalkeeping and midfield. So...we start playing 3-6-1?

Confed Cup final is basically extra credit for meeting the goal of getting into the 16. So I believe Bob will be back if he wants to.

Not great, but there really aren't any high-profile foreign coaches available. We'd probably be looking at someone like LeGuen. Hiddink is already going to Turkey, and that's the only one (save maybe Klinsmann, but I don't know if that ship has sailed) that would really excitement.

I suppose the good news for the next World Cup is that most of the current team should be good enough to play in 2014, but Bocanegra and Cherundolo. The bad news is that depth is going to be a bit of a question mark for the next 4 years at every position but goalkeeper.

I'm gonna go ahead and play the blame game with Bradley. Both of them. I don't get why Edu wasn't starting, or Feilhaber. Or Onyewu. (If he wasn't ready, he gets an obvious pass.) The son looked terrible all game, jogging lightly all the time, not playing defense, not marking, and not even getting forward! When he got forward he stood in nonthreatening positions and was easily picked up. His passing was usually bad.

Oh well, I guess this team exceeded my expectations, so good run USA, and let's see Ghana do some damage to Uruguay. :cool:

I suppose the good news for the next World Cup is that most of the current team should be good enough to play in 2014, but Bocanegra and Cherundolo. The bad news is that depth is going to be a bit of a question mark for the next 4 years at every position but goalkeeper.

Yes and no. Donovan and Dempsey will both be on the other side of 30 by then.

Great run for the team and nothing to be ashamed of. Hopefully this is a great stepping stone for the sport here. Definitely showed that we aren't a joke.

Would love if the squad had a bit more mental strength early in games. We've had the problem throughout the entire campaign.

I'm ok with giving Bradley a bit more time, tbh. I think even with his failings at the start of matches, he gets it right at halftime and during matches. I think he needs a good assistant who can help with the pre-match prep and lineup decisions. But if he keeps making stupid decisions like starting Clark and Findley(who I think would have been really helpful as an injection of pace in extra time) against teams he shouldn't, then he's out.

I was talking to a friend of mine from New Zealand today, and we both agreed that there should be some sort of tournament between countries where soccer isn't the #1 sport(NZ/USA/?) and call it the "Soccer Cup". It's a decent way to get the sport played more, it'd be matches that(hopefully) would let the actual players play instead of the club teams calling back their players for a friendly, and the name would annoy the people it's supposed to :thup:

Thoughts? It's a bit outlandish, but I like the idea.

BTW, funny story from watching in the pub: The broadcast was interrupted twice for National Weather Service warnings (we got some golf ball-sized hail). The second time, the pub exploded into a chant of "**** off, weather!" :D

I was talking to a friend of mine from New Zealand today, and we both agreed that there should be some sort of tournament between countries where soccer isn't the #1 sport(NZ/USA/?) and call it the "Soccer Cup". It's a decent way to get the sport played more, it'd be matches that(hopefully) would let the actual players play instead of the club teams calling back their players for a friendly, and the name would annoy the people it's supposed to :thup:

Thoughts? It's a bit outlandish, but I like the idea.

I once had an equally bad idea for a Pacific Rim tournament composed of leagues whose clubs have American-style naming schemes. Exciting match-ups like Wollongong Wolves versus Pohang Steelers and Columbus Crew versus Tokyo Verdy.

I dunno, for a non-Footballing nation i thought your guys quite well for themselves.

Qualifying from the group stages as winners is no mean feat, just remember to put it all into the context of how well 'soccer' fares compared to your other 'national' sports.

I dunno, for a non-Footballing nation i thought your guys quite well for themselves.

Qualifying from the group stages as winners is no mean feat, just remember to put it all into the context of how well 'soccer' fares compared to your other 'national' sports.

thanks buddy, we definitely needed a wise englishman like yourself to tell us how to understand our performance at the world cup :thup:

I'm gonna go ahead and play the blame game with Bradley. Both of them. I don't get why Edu wasn't starting, or Feilhaber. Or Onyewu. (If he wasn't ready, he gets an obvious pass.) The son looked terrible all game, jogging lightly all the time, not playing defense, not marking, and not even getting forward! When he got forward he stood in nonthreatening positions and was easily picked up. His passing was usually bad.

Oh well, I guess this team exceeded my expectations, so good run USA, and let's see Ghana do some damage to Uruguay. :cool:

I think you're being way too hard on Michael Bradley. He might just have been our best player this World Cup. I think he's got a decent shot at being the best outfield player the USA has ever produced.

Redknapp will never accept a job that means he can't take pay-offs from agents for his transfers.

Oh he'd accept the job.

He'd find a new way of selecting the England team and be on the phone to all the agents telling them what it'd cost them to have their players be picked as a starter.

I think you're being way too hard on Michael Bradley. He might just have been our best player this World Cup. I think he's got a decent shot at being the best outfield player the USA has ever produced.

Okay, maybe I am REALLY missing something watching him, but he just seems to disappear for long portions of time. When I do see him, he's trotting around in space, not marking, not getting open, just running around. Not even closing down, just...jogging. He scores one good goal in a somewhat important game, and all is forgiven.

He was definitely not great in that game either.

Okay, maybe I am REALLY missing something watching him, but he just seems to disappear for long portions of time. When I do see him, he's trotting around in space, not marking, not getting open, just running around. Not even closing down, just...jogging. He scores one good goal in a somewhat important game, and all is forgiven.

Are you sure you aren't talking about Donovan or Dempsey there?

Archived