Official The Netherlands Thread ; Best team never to have won the WC.

Micado

I just can't see them get past Brazil, Spain, England, etc.

The only truly hardened team in this bunch are Spain, in my opinion - the Netherlands are approx. in the same slump of what comes thereafter or thereabouts. England are predicted to reach the semis at least every four years, and this time despite the fact that the key players have been the same for years, and Capellos results and performances against top sides are hardly backing up any of the hype so far - they were firmly outclassed in Spain, against Brazil (missing players though) and looked more than shaky for at least a half in the Netherlands last Summer, with some of the most shocking defense mistakes in there the Netherlands didn't bother with. Not sure about Brazil either yet. I think this is going to be an exciting Cup, with more than a fist full of teams being able to compete for the top spots in the competition - including yes, England, Spain, Netherlands and Brazil.

Ooops, what aggressive minor already said. :)

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do feel Ruben has a point about depth though; I think the first XI is excellent but the difference between the first teamers and the bench is pretty big. I shudder to think of Braafheid, Ooijer or Babel playing against Brazil.
This, our first Xi or XIII are great, but after that, just average players (like Braafheid, Ooijer).
What're everyone's thoughts on Robben's injury? I'd take him even if he has to sit out the group stages.

Yes, take him along, unless he will be out for at least 3 months, then not, but if he is out till June 24th (our last group game iirc), take him to SA,

England have more depth than you think. People are always harder on their own players, but you have to remember that they are all playing in the premiership, whereas backup players in most other teams play in far worse leagues.

They might pale in comparison to Ferdinand, Rooney, Gerrard etc, but they can make up the team and do a better job than a lot of other national squad players.

Not a good sign:

Hamstring vrijwel zeker gescheurd

WK STAAT OP DE TOCHT VOOR ROBBEN

Arjen Robben wilde zich direct na zijn blessure in de oefeninterland tegen Hongarije in het ziekenhuis melden voor een scan van zijn gekwetste hamstring, maar de scan kan pas morgen gemaakt worden.

Why did Van Marwijk not take him off earlier though and even why did his risk him in this game? We all know that Robben is fragile and he's had a very long season so poor judgement from vM to even risk Robben in this game :(

England are predicted to reach the semis at least every four years, and this time despite the fact that the key players have been the same for years, and Capellos results and performances against top sides are hardly backing up any of the hype so far -

We did beat Germany in Germany :cool:

People always bring up the Spain result, we only lost 2-0, we were out passed but they didn't create a lot, we did ok defensively really. Also we had no Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard, and our wingers were SWP and Downing. Heskey and Agbonlahor up front. In the circumstances we didn't do to badly.

Fair enough. I wouldn't have thought that Kuyt would fit in with the Dutch side well, he's not the most technically talented of players...

That's exactly the point, though; he offers something that the other forwards and attacking midfielders do not. The rest doesn't really track back, he does and he can stifle an opposing wing back. Also, it seems likely that most of the attacks will come from the left side of the pitch; Kuyt can cut inside into the box, with Van der Wiel providing cover, so that we have two strikers all of a sudden.

NOS:

Onderzoek in het Rotterdamse Erasmusziekenhuis heeft uitgewezen dat Arjen Robben in de wedstrijd tegen Hongarije een hamstringscheurtje in zijn linkerbeen heeft opgelopen. De blessure is minder ernstig dan aanvankelijk werd gevreesd.

Bondscoach Bert van Marwijk: "Ik heb daarom besloten voorlopig geen vervanger voor Arjen op te roepen en hem zodoende alle kans te geven nog tijdens het toernooi aan te sluiten."

De komende dagen wordt besloten wanneer Robben vanuit Nederland naar Zuid-Afrika afreist.

No torn hamstring.

• SI Staff

He felt something was torn or that something is wrong, as it really hurt.

But there's a small tear in the left hamstring as diagnosed in the hospital - but no big damage. It's a miniscule tear, but it has to be recovered.

"I respect Dirk so much. This guy is getting the maximum from his career. He is a massive example to players who are less talented." - Robin on Kuyt

Hugely backhanded compliment there :D

Quality :D They probably tease him at training about how untalented he is haha.

yeah but I bet van persie wishes he'd actually manages to play some games unlike kuyt.

Yeah, he's always benched at Arsenal. Oh, he isn't. What are you on about?

"I would rather lose this match against Hungary and have Arjen stay fit,'' Van Marwijk said in quotes reported by www.vi.nl.

Why play him then in the first place, you idiot!

To give him some minutes in the preparation sequence I Guess, all I can think of.

Arjen Robben gaat toch naar het WK. De hamstringblessure is niet zo ernstig als gedacht. Hij heeft een scheurtje in de spier opgelopen.

Bondscoach Bert van Marwijk licht zijn besluit toe: "Ik heb besloten voorlopig geen vervangen voor Arjen op te roepen en hem zodoende alle kans te geven om zich tijdig bij onze selectie aan te sluiten. De komende dagen wordt bekeken wanneer Robben zal afreizen naar Zuid-Afrika.

Robben raakte afgelopen zaterdag in het oefenduel met Hongarije geblesseerd. Hij onderging in het Erasmusziekenhuis in Rotterdam diverse onderzoeken. Daaruit bleek dat er een scheurtje in zijn hamstring had.

Time will tell if he can get fit in time...

Time will tell if he can get fit in time...

Bloody well hope he does. It's all well and good that you can call up a replacement up until 24 hours before the first game, but you don't really want to do that, bearing in mind the 10-hour flight and altitude difference. So it's a bit of gamble; if a replacement would need to be called up, he ideally should leave for South Africa no later than tomorrow.

Yes, not sure if the KNVB/Bert has asked Lens (to me the most logical player to call up if Robben is definitely ruled out the WC), to get on a plane to SA, so he will have some time to adjust and not that he gets in the plane Sunday morning and has to be on the bench for the Monday game.

Rafael van der Vaart heeft er alle vertrouwen in dat Arjen Robben snel weer voor het Nederlands elftal kan uitkomen. ,,Ik heb namelijk heel goede ervaringen met fysiotherapeut Dick van Toorn'', stelde de aanvallende middenvelder maandag na de eerste training van Oranje in Johannesburg.

,,Ik scheurde laatst ook mijn hamstring. Dick had me binnen vijf dagen fit. Ik sluit daarom zelfs niet uit dat Robben al tijdens het eerste duel met de Denen inzetbaar is. Al zal dat misschien moeilijk worden.''

Now that is optimistic imo, even if he can play against the Danes, with Robben's history of injuries, I am not sure if that would be a good idea.

exactly, I would just bench him and let Elia play (or Afellay) - we can always bring Robben if it's really necessary.

Not VdV? He is part of the "big 4" you know :D

There's probably quite a few nations with media so furious they'd broadcast a live surgery of their key player's knee if there was to be a surgery. :D (Come on, Arjen, love you.)

Sixty-year-old Henk Witjs, part of a 100-strong group of Dutch fans who wanted to get to the World Cup by road, drowned last week in Lake Malawi after ignoring warnings about strong currents.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2010/teams/holland/7807792/World-Cup-2010-Holland-fan-dies-on-road-trip-to-World-Cup.html

:(

Van Marwijk: Robben niet tegen Denemarken

JOHANNESBURG - Arjen Robben speelt niet met Nederland in de eerste wedstrijd op het WK tegen Denemarken. Dat heeft bondscoach Bert van Marwijk dinsdag gezegd.

„Sinds Arjen de finale van de Champions League speelde heeft hij bijna niet meer getraind of gespeeld. Dat kun je er niet zomaar ineens staan. Bovendien wil ik met hem geen risico nemen. Hij heeft een serieuze blessure.”

Van Marwijk verwacht op korte termijn te horen hoe het herstel van de aanvaller verder gaat verlopen. „Dan weet ik wanneer hij kan komen en mogelijk weer kan spelen.”

Robben raakte afgelopen zaterdag geblesseerd in de wedstrijd tegen Hongarije. „Ons doel is hem zo ver te krijgen dat hij nog op het WK van waarde voor ons kan zijn. Daarop is alles gericht. Pin me echter niet vast op een bepaalde datum. We gaan het allemaal rustig bekijken.”

Well Bert finally starts thinking.

Archived