Official The Netherlands Thread ; Best team never to have won the WC.

Micado

Netherlands provisional squad:

Maarten Stekelenburg (Ajax), Sander Boschker (FC Twente), Michel Vorm (FC Utrecht);

Vurnon Anita (Ajax), Khalid Boulahrouz (VfB Stuttgart), Edson Braafheid (Celtic), Giovanni van Bronckhorst (Feyenoord), John Heitinga (Everton), Joris Mathijsen (HSV), Ron Vlaar (Feyenoord), Gregory van der Wiel (Ajax), André Ooijer (PSV);

Otman Bakkal (PSV), Mark van Bommel (Bayern Munich), Wout Brama (FC Twente), Orlando Engelaar (PSV), Nigel de Jong (Manchester City), David Mendes da Silva (AZ), Stijn Schaars (AZ), Wesley Sneijder (Inter), Rafael van der Vaart (Real Madrid), Demy de Zeeuw (Ajax), Ibrahim Afellay (PSV);

Dirk Kuyt (Liverpool), Jeremain Lens (AZ), Eljero Elia (HSV), Ryan Babel (Liverpool), Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (AC Milan), Robin van Persie (Arsenal), Arjen Robben (Bayern Munich).

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No Ruud, ah not a real surprise now is it.

The 7 who will be droppen are/will be imo:

Anita, Bakkal, da Silva, Ooijer, Brama, Schaars and Lens.

Altough I hope Lens will come to the WC with us.

IIRC, the last few matches van Marwijk selected 8 midfielders and 5 forwards, so of these players you mention I'm actually expecting Schaars to be retained and Babel to be dropped instead. Think otherwise this ought to be spot on, bar the off chance that Ooijer gets the nod over Vlaar on account of experience (which, given the season he's had, would be a daft choice, but van Marwijk is rather conservative in his choices after all).

I'm disappointed Urby isn't in there, I'd have him over Braafheid any day, if only for his versatility.

IIRC, the last few matches van Marwijk selected 8 midfielders and 5 forwards, so of these players you mention I'm actually expecting Schaars to be retained and Babel to be dropped instead.

Yep, but that wasn't for a 4 week tournament, so maybe he might change that this time.

bar the off chance that Ooijer gets the nod over Vlaar on account of experience (which, given the season he's had, would be a daft choice, but van Marwijk is rather conservative in his choices after all).

That would really such if he would do that, Vlaar much better this season and both will not be starting anyway.

I'm disappointed Urby isn't in there, I'd have him over Braafheid any day, if only for his versatility.

Hail hail, don't know why at all. Urby could be used on the whole left flank.

I can understand why van Marwijk didn't invite van Nistelrooy. Van Marwijk has been having a capable team so far, and bringing in a player who can affect the team so much can be a risk, I mean, Ruud missed the entire qualification and he would probably only mess up the team feeling the other players have with each other, besides his performance is not as good as before. Nearly the same goes for Clarence Seedorf, he shouldn't even be called up again imo. Seedorf never fitted in Oranje, he was a dissonance in the team and his performance in the national team was questionable too. He is not needed anyway, we got plenty of other options on the midfield, I prefer Van Bommel any day.

I would probably take this team to the World Cup:

Goalkeepers: Maarten Stekelenburg, Michel Vorm, Sander Boschker

Explanation: Stekelenburg has been our main goalkeeper during our qualification and therefor has the right to go to the World Cup, and he did well. Michel Vorm is a talented goalkeeper who I think over a few years can become an excellent one too, his reflexes are amazing. Sander Boschker simply comes in as third goalkeeper because of his experience and he ran a good season this year, it is a crown on the end of his career.

Defenders: Giovanni van Bronckhorst, Gregory van der Wiel, Ron Vlaar, John Heitinga, Joris Mathijsen, Khalid Boulahrouz, Vurnon Anita

Van Bronckhorst needs no explanation really, with his experience and solid performances over the years in Oranje he is our main left back. Van der Wiel should be our main right back, he has done well there so far and he's extremely useful with rushes forward. Ron Vlaar is there as backup in my opinion, he has done well with Feyenoord this season and his strength and height as defender should serve well. John Heitinga and Joris Mathijsen should be our main centre backs, Joris Mathijsen has never missed a qualification match and I think he's on his peak performance. To tell you the truth, I never really was a fan of Heitinga, but he should be our first choice anyway, the reason being I prefer Boulahrouz in a good state any day. But, as Khalid hardly ever played a match this season John should get the honour, and should probably do well enough. I like Khalid, he's afraid of no one, and we need such a defender in a World Cup, also I think he can grow well in a tournament, a real tournament player if you ask me. I don't know much about Anita, but as Braafheid never plays at Celtic and Emanuelson doesn't play left back that much anymore, I guess it should be Anita as stand-in left back.

Midfielders: Mark van Bommel, Nigel de Jong, Wesley Sneijder, Rafael van der Vaart, Demy de Zeeuw, Stijn Schaars, Ibrahim Afellay, Wout Brama.

Explanation: Mark van Bommel and Nigel de Jong should serve as our main Defensive-orientated midfielders, of course there have been discussions if de Jong isn't too aggressive, but I believe he has learned a little and he is a solid defensive midfielder. Van Bommel is a good midfielder, maybe not as technical as others are at his position, but he knows how to dictate the midfield very well. Wesley Sneijder should be right behind the attack, serving as attacking midfielder, he's been through an excellent season so far, a key player for Inter, no doubt about it he is very much appreciated in our main team, and also should be the main guy behind the freekicks. Van der Vaart should be stand-in for Sneijder, it surprised me how well he did in Oranje when he hardly played for Real Madrid, and when he did play the last part of the season when Kaká was injured he did very well. De Zeeuw is stand-in defensive midfielder, does well at Ajax. Stijn Schaars should be stand-in too, but I have my doubts, he could do a lot better than he did this season at AZ. I am a bit dissapointed in Afellay, a talented technician with awesome ball control, he has done below average this season. But, as he is a player of his own kind, we don't really have another option, and besides he can get back on his old level we know him from. Wout Brama is a solid player for stand-in midfielder, best option as reserve in my opinion.

Attackers: Robin van Persie, Dirk Kuyt, Eljero Elia, Arjen Robben, Klaas-Jan Huntelaar.

Explanation: Van Persie has been injured nearly the whole season, but it seems he has recovered exceptionally well, and even scored in a match not so long ago, I would place him as Striker, it's his natural position and I believe he is better than Klaas-Jan or Dirk on that position. Robben should be put on right-wing and Elia on the left-wing, Robben has played outstanding this season with good results for Bayern, he is their starplayer in my opinion, although Robben tends to be a little bit on the arrogant side on the field. I love Elia, I reallly hope he forfills his talent and he will become an excellent left-winger (can also play on the right, but not as good), both his and Robben's speed can be of real threat to the defense of the opposition, also I think Elia wins over Robben by teamplay by just a little from what I have seen so far. Kuyt is a stand-in for Right-wing, and third in line for Striker position, I love his workers ability, he won't stop till his body stops him, although he's an average technician he can be very useful as stand-in as his teamwork and workers ability can really benefit the team, and maybe occasionally score a goal. Klaas-Jan, tough luck for him at A.C. Milan, no need to explain that part, strangely enough he scored a lot when he jumps in the team as substitute, therefor we should have him as stand-in.

Well that's how I feel things should be at the moment. About our chances, I won't say a lot about that, of course I hope we win, but saying we can win it is just too early, it can go either way knowing our history. We shall wait and see.

IMO Urby should go as a sub, for if we run out of options on the left and RvN should go as well. RvP has been out half the season, Kuijt works hard but is no killer and KJH still hasn't shone much in Oranje. We may need an out an out forward instead of only attacking mids in some situations.

Affelay can stay at home as far as I'm concerned. We have all those other attacking midfielders and they actually can dribble past a player and pass a ball with much more efficiency than Affelay. Brama isn't needed either. Let him gather some experience first.

IMO Urby should go as a sub, for if we run out of options on the left and RvN should go as well. RvP has been out half the season, Kuijt works hard but is no killer and KJH still hasn't shone much in Oranje. We may need an out an out forward instead of only attacking mids in some situations.

Affelay can stay at home as far as I'm concerned. We have all those other attacking midfielders and they actually can dribble past a player and pass a ball with much more efficiency than Affelay. Brama isn't needed either. Let him gather some experience first.

You tend to forget that van Nistelrooy has been out for over a year, and van Persie just half a season. Also considering van Nistelrooy is nearly 34 years old, so he needs much more time to recover and get back to his old level (if ever), whereas it's more likely that van Persie will recover quite quickly.

RvN has been scoring for HSV, he's been playing ball for a longer time since his injury than RvP, his fitness nor form are particularly worrisome. His advantage is that he's an out and out goal thief. He can handle himself in a crowd of determined bus-parking hatchet men. Van Persie needs a bit more space. In desperate 'crowbar needed' situations, I defo prefer Ruud.

I commend your lurking ability by the way, 3rd post in 2 and half years, ace :D:thup:

Yes, Urby should go, but RvN, no, prefer RvP, Klaas, Kuyt and Lens.

Not sure about Affelay though, but agreed on Brama, le thin play some qualification games for Euro 2012.

No Ruud, ah not a real surprise now is it.

Altough I hope Lens will come to the WC with us.

3 down, 4 to go:

Bakkal, Brama en Mendes vallen af

HOENDERLOO - Otman Bakkal (PSV), Wout Brama (FC Twente) en David Mendes da Silva (AZ) zullen geen deel uitmaken van de selectie van het Nederlands elftal voor het WK in Zuid-Afrika. Het trio valt af, zo maakte bondscoach Bert van Marwijk vrijdagavond bekend.

• SI Staff

Hunt has scored 15 goals in 30 caps, how is that not shining?

Good, don't see what Engelaar is still doing there, but ok...

should a forward be injured, Van Marwijk is likely to call up Van Nistelrooij after all.

Yea, let's hope Babel get's injured :p. It seems van Marwijk fancies Anita, and he has a pretty good chance for reaching the World Cup, it's said he can also play right back.

But Anita did play many games this season, which Braafheid didn't so I can understand Berts choice in this.

And yeah, why o why is Engelaar still with the team?????

Now surely, that can't be the reason he is with the team. Agreed that height helps, but if that is the only thing, no thank you (Mendes da Silva isn't small either iirc)

He can handle himself in a crowd of determined bus-parking hatchet men. Van Persie needs a bit more space.

Not sure where you got that from considering Robin has been great for us when fit dispite playing against deep, packed out defences pretty much every single time.

His finishing has been a little rusty since coming back but it's a flaw worth accepting imo as he's superb at brining people around him into the game from the lone striker role.

Meh, that would make it just an average tournament. Been there, done that. I want it all dammit.

Dutch fans don't like ugly football...:p and Holland can't win with ****** football...:p

Both these things need to change before Holland win another title.

Yes, he will, together with Joris Mathijsen he will be our starting CD's (unless Van Marwijk will suddenly change his ming), with Vlaar and Ooijer (if he goes) as backup.

In case anyone's interested; I wrote a 2-part piece for gonch's site about the Dutch team. Though bear in mind that it was written more than a week ago, so a few things are outdated already!

Linkies:

http://www.just-football.com/2010/05/23-for-2010-holland-world-cup-squad-keepers-defenders/

http://www.just-football.com/2010/05/23-for-2010-holland-world-cup-squad-analysis-midfielders-strikers/

In case anyone's interested; I wrote a 2-part piece for gonch's site about the Dutch team. Though bear in mind that it was written more than a week ago, so a few things are outdated already!

Linkies:

http://www.just-football.com/2010/05/23-for-2010-holland-world-cup-squad-keepers-defenders/

http://www.just-football.com/2010/05/23-for-2010-holland-world-cup-squad-analysis-midfielders-strikers/

Good read, well written :thup:

About the second link, and here is the quote:

In the case of the latter, his detractors (of which there are many) claim that this is only the case because he is Bert van Marwijk’s son-in-law, but that is overly harsh.

You are not referring to me or DJ now aren't you :D

But all jokes a side, well written rob.

Good read, well written :thup:

About the second link, and here is the quote:

You are not referring to me or DJ now aren't you :D

But all jokes a side, well written rob.

Oi, we're very significant football lovers. If only people listened to us more! :D

Linkies:

Given KJH poor form at Milan, I think RVP will be a better choice upfront. Anyway, good article. :thup:

Dutch fans don't like ugly football...:p

Oh, I can live with a little bit ugly. Let's say German ugly. Not Italy ugly, I'll grant you that :D

and Holland can't win with ****** football...:p

As shown during our fantastic kick-about with/against Portugal, yeah.

Both these things need to change before Holland win another title.

A bit of utilitarian football, yes. A bit rough, why not. (It got us to the finals in 74 and 78, make no mistake) Dirtyness, no.

Babel got injured during a training session, his hamstring and not sure if he will be fit before the FIFA deadline of June 1st.

Well then only 3 more to be send home and would mean (probably) that Lens will go,which is a good thing (although he singed for PSV).

That Sneijder stamp on Robben yesterday really had me hold my breath, along with the incessant hard fouls on Robben. FFS, if we don't have Robben, that would be a huge dent in our attacking powers.

Thursday will be decision day for the Dutch, then Van Marwijk will announce his final 23 men squad, according to the press he will to choose between the following:

Forwards: Lens, Babel, Elia : One will not go

Midfielders: Engelaar is rumored to be heading back home and not to South Africa

Defenders: Anita seems certain, but it goes between Braafheid, Vlaar and Boula (who both didn't impress during training camp yet).

My Guess:

Babel, Engelaar, Braafheid and Boula will stay home.

Yep, Ooijer was poor all season and Engleaar is not doing very well in the training camp and now vlaar has a nasty injury and will be hard for him to make the final 23.

Our 23 men squad for the WC as announced by Bert van Marwijk:

[b]Coach/Trainer:[/b]

Bert van Marwijk

[b]Goalkeepers:[/b]
Maarten Stekelenburg
Michel Vorm
Sander Boschker

[b]Defenders:[/b]
Gregory van der Wiel
John Heitinga
Joris Mathijsen
Giovanni van Bronckhorst