FM10: Ebi Smolarek

29ctg2.jpg

ack: Hopey for the leniancy ;)

Club Career: Feyenoord, Borussia Dortmund, Racing Santander, Bolton Wanderers (loan)

International Career: 19 goals in 42 appearances for Poland

Current Club: None

So, Ebi Smolarek. Free agent, possibly the best one going at the start of the game. A must-have for any club outside the very top?

Anybody bought him? How far down the leagues will he go?

Specifically interested in knowing which Forward Role people have had success with him in and what kind of player you’ve played alongside him.

Ebi is a must buy (if you can get him) for lower league teams.

He is the business at QPR :)

But I couldn't get him on the demo though :thdn: he always went to Ajax. Glad he goes other places on the full game tbf.

• 4 weeks later...

I signed him for my Leeds side and he was great in both League 1 and the Championship, scored over 30 league goals both seasons.

Played him as a Trequartista (attack) with a Deep Lying Forward (support) playing off him.

Tried him for 1 season in the Premier League and his performances are starting to tail off, he's also now aged 31 and is starting to lose stats so he'll be on his way out for me now. But he did a fantastic job in helping us get back to back promotions from League 1 to the Premier League - was possibly my best signing.

10EbiSmolarek-1.png

• 2 weeks later...

I signed him for Sunderland and he was pretty formidable up front for half a season with Darren Bent/Kenwyne Jones.

Then he started to play poorly, and Bent/Jones excelled so he ended up dropping to third choice...then the end of the first season came, he was sold and replaced

i signed him for saints in my second season after winning league one. has been my top goal scorer for the last 3 seasons.

25 goals in championship

16 goals in 1st season of the premiership

13 goals in 16 games so far . currently 5th.

top class player for nothing.

He is a class act. Must have for any Championship/League 1 team. Signed him on my Leeds game, has scored 11 in 10 games with 5 assists. I've played him as a Trequarista and Advance forward and he has been just as effective in both roles. He demands quite alot for a League 1 side but he's a must get, even offer him more than what he wants to make sure you get him. He will tear L1 to shreads and is still good for the Championship and even the Premier League(although probably not as a starter).

• 2 months later...

I got a decent return from him at QPR playing as a Deep-Lying Fwd (Attack).

He's a good player if you're strapped for cash but his temperament is HORRIBLE. He's as bad as Zaki in terms of getting upset about every little thing. He complains about being sub'd, misses training sessions if bigger teams want to buy him and just generally can't handle pressure or perform consistently without major drama. He also fell out with the only 2 youngsters I asked him to tutor!

My advice: buy for free in champ'ship (possibly top L1) and sell after one season at most. I got £3.2m for him from Auxerre. Definitely wouldn't build a team around him because he'll probably become unhappy within a season or two...

Archived