Keeper distribution.

This is something that has annoyed me for a long time. Keepers and their passing. They are hoofing the ball every time... My 3 keeper has a passing completion rate 53%, 62% and 65%. This is ridiculous. I even have pass it shorter, fewer risky passes, distribute to full backs as his PIs. Ok I do understand that he has to play it long some times because I play very fluid which gives him more creative freedom but yet he does not even manage to kick the ball properly to a team mate despite having 17 kicking. This is just annoying me a lot. What do I need to do to make his just pass the ball properly to my defenders.

You have a couple of issues there.

A) The kicking attribute refers to the distance a keeper can get with his kick, nothing to do with accuracy.

B) You are instructing him to pass it shorter and play fewer risky passes which both reduce his options. You are essentially reducing his range & risk level which probably often leads to no players being available within those boundaries therefore he has no option but to kick.

I have him set to Distribute To Centre Backs and Distribute Quickly. This seems to work pretty well, most of the time. Now you mention it, in my last game it didn't; he was hoofing the ball up the pitch all the time. This was probably because my opponent played a system with two strikers and high pressing.

As cougar says, remove the PI's apart from the distribute to full backs. If your full backs are in position and aren't being marked you should see more of what you want. Pause the game when your keeper kicks and ask yourself why he chose to kick. Does he have a good option for giving it to the full back.

http://gyazo.com/78bd993bc5abfeea70ad6931de82067b

I don't know. It doesn't do much for my keeper. I have tried another save where I have a better keeper but he keeps hoofing the ball and he achieved a 53% passing completion that game. Every time he kept hoofing the ball despite having a free player who he can pass to.

Are you using any playmaker or Target Man Roles?

But what is the range of a keepers passing with those PIs? My defenders are often pretty close to him but not close enough it seems.

How do I know how accurate my keeper can pass? Is there a attribute for this?

Yes there is, it is hidden attribute --passing, most keeper are usually low on this.

I've noticed my keepers will regularly ignore their instructions and kick the ball long, despite one of the full backs (who he is instructed to play it out to) being in a completely open position. I just assume this is down to feeling slightly more under pressure in an away match.

What do I need to do to make his just pass the ball properly to my defenders.

You play him as standard GK?

They are usually risk-free, so telling him pass short and fewer risky passes makes him even more risk-free.

Also lot depends on your strategy, more cautious = play it long and save, more aggressive = pass it short.

Look for a GK with good Composure and Decisions.

Maybe try a SK(d)?

Try 'slow pace down' PI for GK. You seem to be going for short distribution anyhow so it's not like you're in any hurry to get the ball upfield. My GKs got pass % around 80 with disribute to FBs and short passing with slow pace down (I'm also using a HB, but not sure how much that has an impact on the matter).

-SnUrF

• 8 months later...
I've noticed my keepers will regularly ignore their instructions and kick the ball long, despite one of the full backs (who he is instructed to play it out to) being in a completely open position. I just assume this is down to feeling slightly more under pressure in an away match.

The keeper instructions don't work. They haven't worked for the last few versions of the game at least. I instruct my keeper to throw or kick the ball to team mates or to certain areas of the pitch e.t.c. and they don't do what they're told. Don't the developers ever check these things before they release the game ?

The keeper instructions don't work. They haven't worked for the last few versions of the game at least. I instruct my keeper to throw or kick the ball to team mates or to certain areas of the pitch e.t.c. and they don't do what they're told. Don't the developers ever check these things before they release the game ?

***Player in not doing as he is told shocker***

Basically if they aren't following instructions there is a reason, you just need to identify what it is.

There was a bug in one version, not sure if its FM15 where the distribute to a specific player didn't work but others do you need to look at your tactics, roles, duties etc to identify the issue.

If you find issues like this in FM16, please report them with a PKM.

That's the final comment you make like that last line. Read the house rules.

I've had reasonable success playing with Slow Pace Down, Take Short Kicks, Fewer Risky Passes and Distribute to X, where X is Centerbacks, Fullbacks or Playmaker depending on formation and personnel and opposition. I use centerbacks if the opposition is playing a lone striker, fullbacks if they're playing a front 2, and Playmaker if I'm playing a formation with a DLP(d) in central midfield or a playmaker in a defensive midfield position AND the player has the Comes Deep to Get Ball ppm AND the opposition isn't playing someone who'll be marking him. In my current save I have an extremely good BPD, so I generally distribute to centerbacks, but in other saves I've found that fullbacks are best. Using Slow Pace Down I think gives your defenders time to spread across in line, allowing your fullbacks to get into space. Of the distribution options, Short Kicks encourages building from the back, but also lets your defenders maintain a bit of distance, unlike Roll It Out.

Still, roughly half to sixty percent of my goalkeeper's attempts at distribution are long kicks. I don't love it, but whatever. It's better than it was at release. And the AI kicks long enough that it's worth converting an athletic centerback into a midfielder anyway, which gives you an option that way. I occasionally play a 4-3-1-2, with two of the central 3 being 6'2 or taller.

From the game where you add the PI to distribute to full backs, it usually takes a while before the keeper starts fairly consistently distribute that way, but after that it's 100% of the time he will distribute that way on goal kicks. That's when I play with 4-x-x-x setup of any kind and it doesn't matter what the opposing AI team plays (Perhaps because it isn't coded to counter it), it's the FB's pass that end's up being the bottleneck.

If he gets the ball due to interception or a pass, it's fairly inconsistent if he can distribute to the FB's.

Free kicks, he doesn't seem to bother with the PI at all and hoof it.

Shorter Passing is part of my primary tactics and most of my tactics involve higher defensive lines, some maxed, some just higher. I don't use wider/narrower by default.

Distribute to central defender or a DM playmaker in a 4-1 DM setup rarely seem to work, too easy even for a bad team to put pressure on the CD's or DM's. Never tried a 3-2 DM or some such set up, maybe it would work with that, but perhaps it's something that only works in lower leagues.

http://gyazo.com/78bd993bc5abfeea70ad6931de82067b

I don't know. It doesn't do much for my keeper. I have tried another save where I have a better keeper but he keeps hoofing the ball and he achieved a 53% passing completion that game. Every time he kept hoofing the ball despite having a free player who he can pass to.

right, let's take a looky

your DL is completely out of the question (punting it across goal to him is a no-no, especially at amateur level) - it's an option, but generally that kind of play is coached out at a young age - Barcelona might do this, but that's probably the only team that would

your DCr is marked by the ST, leaving him out of the question

your DCr (the one near the referee) is a risky option, due to 2 players that can close him down

the DR is then the only viable option, of which there's a little risk there due to the oncoming striker and the fact that he's not looking toward the ball (assumed right footed, then he's got to see the ball come across him before playing it, potentially losing possession)

your best candidate from that image, is the guy nearest the 'formation' screen, of which it's a long lofted punt so he can win the header

• 4 years later...

Hi, I have a question on keeper distribution so thought I would add it to this post.  I am playing fuild counter with no player sitting in the DM role its a flat 5-3-2.  What would be the best type of distrution for my keeper, I get that short kicks tend to be for building from the back, but I dont want to just hoof it long, so would throw it long make more sense?