How to get players match fit

I was wondering about what to do to get players match fit on my save.

I'm with my third club now (7th, if you count the beta) and i just cannot get my players match fit in time for the season.

Now i'm about 4 games in to the new season, with Connah's Quay in the Welsh Premier, and still most of my players are lacking match fitness.

Sure, i get that the substitutes are lacking match fitness as i tend not to rotate too much, but my first team players?

Most of my first XI have played all the matches so far, including the friendlies, yet only 1 guy is match fit.

It's been the same with each and every club i've been with. Players are never match fit until far into the season.

The other teams' players are at 100% match fitness, so surely there's something i'm doing horribly wrong.

Even though i'm not doing any of the training. I've set the coaching staff to handle all training.

I didn't have too many friendlies with this team so that could explain a bit.

But i've also had 10 weeks of pre-season, with another club, with loads of friendlies and that didn't help one bit.

It was the same result.

Any suggestions? What am i doing wrong?

21637b67db15bedc40752b52419d5924.png

2c03f240bc24dcc58adb926230063fef.png

db252561c72e6b75971a03a85426c8c7.png

45c6e90d90fb2f6d6685b87f9bbf1440.png

3aeedb623b1c40c014aeb0346ed9547e.png

-Supposed to be a question mark on the thread headline :o-

I notice you seem to have 3-4 days off per week - if your team is semi-pro it stands to reason they don't train as much so don't have peak levels of match fitness. Although this should be the same across the league. Although 4 friendlies is not exactly a great amount at getting a squad ready for the season. More game time is what gives you greater match fitness, plus fewer rest days in training preserves it.

Would you advise resting older players more?

Well to be honest, once you rest them too much and their match fitness drops, the risks of injuries and problems with fitness and stamina are more notable. Although some players are very fit into their mid-30's, so depends on the player. Sometimes I find the easiest thing is to rotate match time more - if you have an older key player who you need to preserve - maybe sub him if you are winning with 25 minutes to go etc etc.

I notice you seem to have 3-4 days off per week - if your team is semi-pro it stands to reason they don't train as much so don't have peak levels of match fitness. Although this should be the same across the league. Although 4 friendlies is not exactly a great amount at getting a squad ready for the season. More game time is what gives you greater match fitness, plus fewer rest days in training preserves it.

Semi-pro is a little pain, indeed.

But that's also the frustrating part.

Checking the other semi-professional teams they don't seem to have a problem with it, as in the example below.

e9c630d1240832b37314532d56f1631e.png

I've experienced the same thing with the other teams i've managed, being semi-pro.

4 friendlies is definitely not enough. Can't expect much of that.

Was checking my previous club. I played 12 friendlies, plus 3 cup games and my players were still not fit for fight when the season started.

It took them about a quarter of, to half the season to get match fit.

09351db4bfbdcbc2aecde6b0fdaceabd.png

I don't know. What can i change myself when there's no difference between 4 friendlies and 12 (+3)?

The other teams' players are at 100% match fitness, so surely there's something i'm doing horribly wrong.

Even though i'm not doing any of the training. I've set the coaching staff to handle all training.

Any suggestions? What am i doing wrong?

I've never been brave enough to enter the world of semi-pro clubs, so I don't know how that affects training in general, but there's a risk that your staff is screwing you over.

By allowing the players rest both before and after matches and finding just the right (or wrong) balance on the slider between more and less match training, you can really give the players countless days where they're instructed to just roll their thumbs. And this is for a professional club with state of the art training facilites and great coaches.

8Jc7k.jpg

I've never been brave enough to enter the world of semi-pro clubs, so I don't know how that affects training in general, but there's a risk that your staff is screwing you over.

By allowing the players rest both before and after matches and finding just the right (or wrong) balance on the slider between more and less match training, you can really give the players countless days where they're instructed to just roll their thumbs. And this is for a professional club with state of the art training facilites and great coaches.

8Jc7k.jpg

Unfortunately i don't have that option.

I'm with a new club now, but it's also a semi-professional club.

80683d9adee21af9f3cb62c7a83f86a0.png

Unfortunately i don't have that option.

I'm with a new club now, but it's also a semi-professional club.

Oh man. Didn't know semi-pro clubs were that unforgiving.

My only other suggestion is to arrange lots of friendlies for your reserve team, and make the first teamers avaible for appropiate doses of football. For example, you can make them avaible for 45 minutes per reserve game untill match fit. Dunno if it would help, but maybe something to try?

My only other suggestion is to arrange lots of friendlies for your reserve team, and make the first teamers avaible for appropiate doses of football. For example, you can make them avaible for 45 minutes per reserve game untill match fit. Dunno if it would help, but maybe something to try?

I will probably have to do something like that.

Just gave my team 13 weeks of pre-season now. Going to arrange lots of friendlies to see if that makes a difference.

Then i will also try to be a bit more hands on when it comes to the reserve games as well.

Thanks for the tips so far. Keep them coming if there's anything you can think of.

I think i'm in for my toughest FM so far. Coaching useless players in real life is easier than this :D

It will take more time to get them up to fitness, but you should be able to have the vast majority ready to go by opening day. What I do is have an 8 week pre-season, and schedule my first friendly after 10-14 days of training. Then it's 2 a week the rest of the way in except for the last week before the first match. This gives me 8-10 friendlies, I rotate starters every other match, and take starters off (if I have the people) at about 55-60 mins, and bring on subs. You should also, as you noted, schedule friendlies for reserves and U18s also to make sure everyone you might possibly use is getting matches. It's a bit of a pain, but it is well worth the time investment. I typically schedule about 5-6 friendlies for both the reserve and U18s, though if you have a very small reserve squad, the U18s will also play in those matches; be careful not to overplay your kids.

At season opening, with this schedule, you should have most of your first team include subs at full or near full match fitness.

It will take more time to get them up to fitness, but you should be able to have the vast majority ready to go by opening day. What I do is have an 8 week pre-season, and schedule my first friendly after 10-14 days of training. Then it's 2 a week the rest of the way in except for the last week before the first match. This gives me 8-10 friendlies, I rotate starters every other match, and take starters off (if I have the people) at about 55-60 mins, and bring on subs. You should also, as you noted, schedule friendlies for reserves and U18s also to make sure everyone you might possibly use is getting matches. It's a bit of a pain, but it is well worth the time investment. I typically schedule about 5-6 friendlies for both the reserve and U18s, though if you have a very small reserve squad, the U18s will also play in those matches; be careful not to overplay your kids.

At season opening, with this schedule, you should have most of your first team include subs at full or near full match fitness.

That's quite a bit of work, but i'll give that a whirl (even though i'm an impatient player :D )

Thanks for the tip. Appreciate it :thup:

If there's more to be said about the topic, i'm all ears.

Finished my pre-season now.

Focusing on getting game-time to all relevant players during pre-season.

After 11 pre-season friendlies only 3 players are match fit.

7 are lacking match fitness and 3 are severely lacking in match fitness.

Among the players lacking match fitness are 4 players that started most games, playing about 60-75 minutes.

Also coming on as substitutes a few times.

Of the 3 players being match fit there's one who's only started 4 times and come on once as a substitute.

His natural fitness is 11. I'm comparing that to one of the guys who is lacking match fitness, who's got a natural fitness of 12.

But 3 players match fit? Those aren't even the one who's been playing "regularly".

11 friendlies and only 3 are match fit. That, to me, doesn't make any sense at all.

Finished my pre-season now.

Focusing on getting game-time to all relevant players during pre-season.

After 11 pre-season friendlies only 3 players are match fit.

7 are lacking match fitness and 3 are severely lacking in match fitness.

Among the players lacking match fitness are 4 players that started most games, playing about 60-75 minutes.

Also coming on as substitutes a few times.

Of the 3 players being match fit there's one who's only started 4 times and come on once as a substitute.

His natural fitness is 11. I'm comparing that to one of the guys who is lacking match fitness, who's got a natural fitness of 12.

But 3 players match fit? Those aren't even the one who's been playing "regularly".

11 friendlies and only 3 are match fit. That, to me, doesn't make any sense at all.

I agree that the requirements to get people in match fitness are too harsh at the moment. The fact that you need your team to train Very High Fitness AND play 11 full games to be in fighting shape for the season, is a bit too much. It will be nearly impossible to get your players in shape during pre-season. Especially as a Semi-pro club.

It was pretty easy in earlier editions, and that might need to be toned down. But it just feels way too harsh.

The first season you only have about 4-5 weeks and maybe time for 6-7 games. Which seems like the normal amount for most clubs IRL. While I have never played higher-level football, it seems that most clubs/teams would not train high fitness training until the season starts and play 11 games in 5 weeks. They would focus on fitness for a few weeks and then return to more normal training with some games, and most would be ready for the season, unless they had been out of football for a long time.

My local team in the danish 2. division (3rd tier), which is semi-pro, had only 3 friendlies before the start of the new season. I don't believe they would have a match fitness of 65% IRL.

I agree that the requirements to get people in match fitness are too harsh at the moment. The fact that you need your team to train Very High Fitness AND play 11 full games to be in fighting shape for the season, is a bit too much. It will be nearly impossible to get your players in shape during pre-season. Especially as a Semi-pro club.

It was pretty easy in earlier editions, and that might need to be toned down. But it just feels way too harsh.

The first season you only have about 4-5 weeks and maybe time for 6-7 games. Which seems like the normal amount for most clubs IRL. While I have never played higher-level football, it seems that most clubs/teams would not train high fitness training until the season starts and play 11 games in 5 weeks. They would focus on fitness for a few weeks and then return to more normal training with some games, and most would be ready for the season, unless they had been out of football for a long time.

My local team in the danish 2. division (3rd tier), which is semi-pro, had only 3 friendlies before the start of the new season. I don't believe they would have a match fitness of 65% IRL.

My experience so far is that it has gone from one extreme (maybe a bit harsh) to another.

Especially as a semi-pro club.

Your local team irl is the same experience i have with my local clubs which are semi-pro.

The most, that i know about, they've played is 5 friendlies.

When i was playing myself we played about 4 friendlies and we were good to go.

We would return after holidays to very intense fitness training for a month, month and a half.

Then we switched to lighter fitness training while focusing on ball control and play-style/tactics.

During that time we played about 4 friendlies for then to start the season.

In FM it was way too easy before but it appears that it's a bit too harsh right now.

When i did what i did now the players were not mainly lacking match fitness but they were tired.

As a result quite a few players became injured by not being match fit and tired.

A little adjustment could possibly be a good thing. Especially for semi-pro clubs, as you now seem to go from one evil to another.

Then, when half the season's over, you're good to go.

I'm open to the possibility of me overlooking something or just going about it the wrong way; but as it is now it doesn't seem right.

My experience so far is that it has gone from one extreme (maybe a bit harsh) to another.

Especially as a semi-pro club.

Your local team irl is the same experience i have with my local clubs which are semi-pro.

The most, that i know about, they've played is 5 friendlies.

When i was playing myself we played about 4 friendlies and we were good to go.

We would return after holidays to very intense fitness training for a month, month and a half.

Then we switched to lighter fitness training while focusing on ball control and play-style/tactics.

During that time we played about 4 friendlies for then to start the season.

In FM it was way too easy before but it appears that it's a bit too harsh right now.

When i did what i did now the players were not mainly lacking match fitness but they were tired.

As a result quite a few players became injured by not being match fit and tired.

A little adjustment could possibly be a good thing. Especially for semi-pro clubs, as you now seem to go from one evil to another.

Then, when half the season's over, you're good to go.

I'm open to the possibility of me overlooking something or just going about it the wrong way; but as it is now it doesn't seem right.

If it is indeed as designed and that we need to change how we get our guys ready for the season, then it would be nice to have some input from our AssMan or Fitness trainer. Right now all they care about is tactical familiarity and moan about it constantly. But they seem to care little for the fitness of the squad. And Backroom advice doesn't concern this issue either.

Edit: Just checked a random team that is not top-tier but still professional, Brighton, IRL. They had only 6 friendlies during this pre-season.

I just checked one of my midfielders. He played 503 minutes total during pre-season and first league match. Training focus has been Fitness (High) and he is currently on 71% match fitness.

Fitness sure doesn't seem important enough for that AssMan or Fitness coach, as you say.

Would be nice to get some more important feedback about fitness, and a bit more focus on that as well,

instead of just tactical familiarity.

Does sound like it needs some fine-tuning. It takes too long when it comes to semi-pro clubs

to become match fit.

Which tempts me to ask a question. What is being match fit, then?

Especially when you have "Condition" as well.

Might be a simple answer, but are they linked in the game, or are they completely separate?

Not sure if it's worth opening up a post in the bug forum so they can have a look at it, or not,

in case it's not working completely as intended.

They are linked. I think match fitness has an effect on the decrease of condition during the match. I think it might also affect the stats of the player. So the lower the MF the less likely he is at utilizing his skills to their fullest.

You know how it is .. physically you are ready, but that first touch isn't quite there, or positioning or tackling aren't quite right.

But I have no idea if that is how MF affects the game.

So Roykela- I apologize for misleading you somewhat; it didn't register that you were in the first season and thus had an artificially shortened pre-season. My method does work when you get to select the length of it, I swear :D

In the first season, you just have to cram a friendly in as much as you can and use heavy player rotation. I would do one every two days until about 6 days out from season start to get them going.

So Roykela- I apologize for misleading you somewhat; it didn't register that you were in the first season and thus had an artificially shortened pre-season. My method does work when you get to select the length of it, I swear :D

In the first season, you just have to cram a friendly in as much as you can and use heavy player rotation. I would do one every two days until about 6 days out from season start to get them going.

By that reply it seems like i've, unfortunately, been misleading you :D

It was my first season with the club but not the first season of the entire save.

Sorry about that :o

I did get to choose the length of the pre-season and i chose 13 weeks. Yeah - One hell of a pre-season.

I agree with the very first season though. Just cram some friendlies in and get playing.

Although not many players were match fit i do see a difference. They're sharper and more fluid in their play.

So it did kind of work, even though fitness-wise the game doesn't think it did.

No worries :) It seems we are on the same page after all. I'll be looking at this issue as I play through FM15 as well; it might need some tweaking if the experience of getting match fit, even at the semi-pro level, takes too much. We should at least have our starting 11 and 4 or 5 subs ready to go when the first whistle blows if we've used sensible preparation.

A few questions :)

Does the level of training affect this?

So maybe very high for the first few weeks then reduced to low for the final month.

Would you ever go as far as scheduling friendlies during the international break (if your league has a break obviously)to ensure players are close to their match fitness potential once the fixtures resume?

A few questions :)

Does the level of training affect this?

So maybe very high for the first few weeks then reduced to low for the final month.

Would you ever go as far as scheduling friendlies during the international break (if your league has a break obviously)to ensure players are close to their match fitness potential once the fixtures resume?

I do high fitness training for the first 4 weeks ago, because that is what I feel I should do, but I don't believe it affects match fitness at all. It simply stops or reverses the natural attribute declines that sometime happen over the off season, and in younger players, can see a small increase. After that, I will reduce intensity or depending on what I need, switch focus to tactics or team cohesion or whatever is needed.

I have never done friendlies on international break, even when I manage to get to the full professional ranks. I've not managed in a league that does like a month off or so, and I would in that case, but usually, with the matches coming fast and thick in the first 2-3 months, that international break is great to get the players a rest. I do, however, make sure the reserves and U18s are in action, and so I will schedule friendlies all through the season once I spot the empty places in the schedule.

P

I do high fitness training for the first 4 weeks ago, because that is what I feel I should do, but I don't believe it affects match fitness at all. It simply stops or reverses the natural attribute declines that sometime happen over the off season, and in younger players, can see a small increase. After that, I will reduce intensity or depending on what I need, switch focus to tactics or team cohesion or whatever is needed.

I have never done friendlies on international break, even when I manage to get to the full professional ranks. I've not managed in a league that does like a month off or so, and I would in that case, but usually, with the matches coming fast and thick in the first 2-3 months, that international break is great to get the players a rest. I do, however, make sure the reserves and U18s are in action, and so I will schedule friendlies all through the season once I spot the empty places in the schedule.

Cheers - appreciate the answer

90 minute starts will gain a bigger boost than a 70minute start, I don't have the numbers but I was positive anyone subbed barely improves their fitness levels. So I generally don't sub them and hope they don't get crocked.

I got full fitness in 15 for all non-injured starting players at Man Utd with 10-12 friendlies - as per Cleon's thread, but I do agree that's pretty excessive.

90 minute starts will gain a bigger boost than a 70minute start, I don't have the numbers but I was positive anyone subbed barely improves their fitness levels. So I generally don't sub them and hope they don't get crocked.

I got full fitness in 15 for all non-injured starting players at Man Utd with 10-12 friendlies - as per Cleon's thread, but I do agree that's pretty excessive.

Interesting. I have always had success bringing players up to match fitness with 60-65 min. starts during pre-season friendlies but that is with the high number of friendlies. I'd be curious to know the difference between a 90 min. and 70 min. start in terms of match fitness. I never paid attention to the match fitness levels before and after a match. Will do from here on out as it's part of my custom view.

• 2 weeks later...

Managing as Coyxyde [semi-pro] (3rd Belgian division, now 2nd) and on a 23-man roster, i have played 23 games (friendlies and league combined) plus some players have played some for the U19 team.

Out of 23 players

8-match fit

10-severely lacking

5- lacking

Of course i rotate the players in friendies and everyone has gotten almost equal mins

This is unrealistic

Your supposed to rotate less when getting players match fit before a season. Play more games by all means but use different starting 11's in those games. Players need to play longer in preseason even when getting tired. With the stats you mentioned you've been playing people for 45 mins then subbing them, I'm pretty confident of that.

It does take far too many games to get players up to match fitness. I generally try to arrange something like 12 pre-season friendly's and rotate the players to give them all playing time.

In real life, this year as an example, Man Utd senior team played 6 pre-season games. In those games, the first 5 of them, at least 7 to 8 players were subbed at half time. It was only in the last game against Valencia where the majority of players were given more game time.

However, it isn't usually a big deal in FM as you can just arrange more friendlies.

It does take far too many games to get players up to match fitness. I generally try to arrange something like 12 pre-season friendly's and rotate the players to give them all playing time.

In real life, this year as an example, Man Utd senior team played 6 pre-season games. In those games, the first 5 of them, at least 7 to 8 players were subbed at half time. It was only in the last game against Valencia where the majority of players were given more game time.

However, it isn't usually a big deal in FM as you can just arrange more friendlies.

I guess people forget they had players playing in the WC so a lot of players already at peak fitness. Add on top of this that United kept putting strong reserve sides out with first teamers in it during preseason and playing behind closed doors friendlies too which don't show as a proper United fixture.

In FM you can have everyone full fitness with-in 6 games.

Your supposed to rotate less when getting players match fit before a season. Play more games by all means but use different starting 11's in those games. Players need to play longer in preseason even when getting tired. With the stats you mentioned you've been playing people for 45 mins then subbing them, I'm pretty confident of that.

And when that is being done and still doesn't help, for a semi-pro club?

Playing 4 friendlies or 11 friendlies seems to be no different for me, with my semi-pro club(s).

Most of my players are still lacking match fitness. Then, around half of my squad after half the season's been played. Come the end of season there is still a third of my squad not match fit, despite them playing quite a few matches.

Only way, that i have found, to keep them match fit is to have them play matches all the time (2-3 times a week), the entire season.

That creates another problem for me. My players are in no condition to play matches because they're exhausted.

It's just an evil roundabout.

And when that is being done and still doesn't help, for a semi-pro club?

Playing 4 friendlies or 11 friendlies seems to be no different for me, with my semi-pro club(s).

Most of my players are still lacking match fitness. Then, around half of my squad after half the season's been played. Come the end of season there is still a third of my squad not match fit, despite them playing quite a few matches.

Only way, that i have found, to keep them match fit is to have them play matches all the time (2-3 times a week), the entire season.

That creates another problem for me. My players are in no condition to play matches because they're exhausted.

It's just an evil roundabout.

In my Sheffield FC save (semi pro) I have no issues keeping players fit at all. The players who don't play are available for reserves and play reserve matches/friendlies. The players who do play stay match fit because they get used. Players only lack fitness when there not being used.

To get them fit for the full season it takes me 6 games to get around the 17 players (proper squad) match fit.

Match fitness isues during the season is down to them not playing games, pure and simple. You either don't manage the squad correctly or its far too big if you can't keep people fit. I suggest making them available for the reserves and if they have no matches then schedule friendlies for them. If players don't play you can't keep them fit.

Also, arrange pre-season friendlies for your reserve/U-21 team, and pick to have your players seeking match fitness play some in those games. Try and avoid playing them for 90mins in these games though, as this can lead to tiredness/injuries. If you manage preseason well like that, you'll be fine. I'm four games into the season, and here's my match fitness...

0JhUoAu.png

My team is full pro now, but even with semi-pro sides, I can get it to that level around that point.

In my Sheffield FC save (semi pro) I have no issues keeping players fit at all. The players who don't play are available for reserves and play reserve matches/friendlies. The players who do play stay match fit because they get used. Players only lack fitness when there not being used.

To get them fit for the full season it takes me 6 games to get around the 17 players (proper squad) match fit.

Match fitness isues during the season is down to them not playing games, pure and simple. You either don't manage the squad correctly or its far too big if you can't keep people fit. I suggest making them available for the reserves and if they have no matches then schedule friendlies for them. If players don't play you can't keep them fit.

They are being used.

They are available for reserves/u19. My main squad is 18 players. 11 starters plus 7 subs.

They get rotated when needed or the opportunity arises.

In my last season most of them had two-digit starts for the first team. Those that didn't played matches for the reserves/u19 once or twice a week.

My assistant is in charge of training and he's fitness-minded.

Apparently he's not up for the job. Neither am i, obviously :D

In my 2 previous seasons i was playing 11 and 10 friendlies, respectively.

Not even my first teamers were match fit when the season started. They normally played 60-75 minutes as starters in pre-season friendlies.

There was one guy that was match fit, both pre-seasons. He started 6 times and came on 3 times as a sub.

The other main squad players was about the same, give or take, and they were about 70% match fit.

And despite playing regularly they're never match fit until 1/3 or 1/2 the season has gone, bar a couple of individuals.

I'm probably not managing the squad correctly but i'm completely at a loss on how to manage the squad, in that case.

I have absolutely no idea how to get them match fit.

Also, arrange pre-season friendlies for your reserve/U-21 team, and pick to have your players seeking match fitness play some in those games. Try and avoid playing them for 90mins in these games though, as this can lead to tiredness/injuries. If you manage preseason well like that, you'll be fine. I'm four games into the season, and here's my match fitness...

0JhUoAu.png

My team is full pro now, but even with semi-pro sides, I can get it to that level around that point.

Probably the one thing i haven't done. Arranging for reserves and u19s.

I don't do that as that's one of the reasons i have other staff in charge of that. Part of their job :D

But my players (those who aren't match fit) do play for the reserves and u19s now and then, when needed.

Depending on my fixture schedule they play as little as 20 minutes or even the full 90 minutes i see they have time to recover for my next first team match.

Yes arranging matches for the reserves is a good idea.

Cleon, i am leaving them on the pitch for 70mins as opposed to playing them for 90mins when they were tired, which was causing many injuries

What is frustrating is the fact that you have to complete 70+ matches during a 34-day season and that is time consuming

At least put 'take a breather' instruction ON for all friendlies to combat the tiredness that occurs

Thanks for your help anyway

Been digging a bit more into this "issue" of mine.

I've been comparing it to this season's real life figures.

If i tried to do the same thing on FM as in real life, my players would never be match fit for the entire season.

The team have (had) a first team squad of 30 players. 3 players left the club during the season, so they finished the season with 27 players.

Not counting the reserves/youngsters given a chance, due to injuries and suspensions.

They played 6 friendlies in pre-season.

Most of them hardly played any reserve games.

One competitive game a week on Saturdays (in the game they always play on Thursdays for some reason).

They went on to win their division.

If i try that in FM most of the players will end up with around 65%-80% match fitness.

If i play them more often they will be tired instead (including them in the reserve games) and get injured a lot more, as a result.

My first team squad has 21 players and even though they all get to play first team games they will never be at an acceptable level

when it comes to being match fit.

If i play them as suggested they will be tired. If i go as they're doing it in real life, which i always try to do, they will never be match fit; bar a few key players

Not saying it's impossible to get them match fit, as people do find a way, but it does seem like it's

a bit off compared to real life, when it comes to semi-pro lower league clubs.

Pre-season in real life lasted about 8-9 weeks.

6 friendlies seems to be enough in real life, whilst 11 friendlies isn't enough in the game.

3 of those real-life friendlies was during the first 2 weeks of pre-season.

In the game i've tried 8 weeks, 11 weeks, 12 weeks and 13 weeks. I see no difference.

Well, that's not entirely true. 11-13 weeks gave me 3 match fit players. None of them first choice players even though everyone followed the same schedule.

8 weeks gave me 1 match fit players. Not a first choice player, despite having the same schedule as the rest.

I don't know. It seems like the game isn't really replicating real life, very well.

Especially at this specific level.

Or, you could look at it this way: It is normal that a lot of players in the squad are not match 100% fit at any given time, not even 90%. Maybe earlier versions of FM has been too forgiving in this area? Would be even more true for a semi-pro team, wouldn't it?

Edit: Don't get me wrong; there could of course be something wonky about match fitness issues when playing semi-pro teams ... I presume that most of the testing (by SI) is being done using professional teams, as that's where the big majority of FM gamers will play, I would think. Then again, there are lots of drawbacks when playing semi-pro teams ... with training in particular. Maybe that's just life for a semi-pro team, you know.

I guess people forget they had players playing in the WC so a lot of players already at peak fitness. Add on top of this that United kept putting strong reserve sides out with first teamers in it during preseason and playing behind closed doors friendlies too which don't show as a proper United fixture.

In FM you can have everyone full fitness with-in 6 games.

I know a few weeks in they had a closed door game against Cardiff to help Luke Shaw back to fitness after his thigh injury in pre-season.

If I'm playing as a club that will have a lot of players available throughout international breaks, I always arrange 2-3 friendlies against local, or weak opposition. Been finding it very handy. Especially if you're playing a league with limited fixtures, so your rotation players may not be getting enough minutes.

Or, you could look at it this way: It is normal that a lot of players in the squad are not match 100% fit at any given time, not even 90%. Maybe earlier versions of FM has been too forgiving in this area? Would be even more true for a semi-pro team, wouldn't it?

Edit: Don't get me wrong; there could of course be something wonky about match fitness issues when playing semi-pro teams ... I presume that most of the testing (by SI) is being done using professional teams, as that's where the big majority of FM gamers will play, I would think. Then again, there are lots of drawbacks when playing semi-pro teams ... with training in particular. Maybe that's just life for a semi-pro team, you know.

I know what you mean, as it has crossed my mind as well.

That, however, gets me to ask myself a few questions.

What do they consider match fit?

Compared to what?

I doubt that a lot of players would be 100% match fit during the season, in FM terms.

But does it really translate well from real life? Especially in the lower leagues?

I do not know how often the real life team is training.

If i compare it to the local semi-pro team where i come from then it's a bit off in FM.

They would, in FM, be on holiday for about 3-4 months, whereas in real life they only have a short time on holiday.

Around 2 months. Then they would start training and eventually start playing friendlies.

Most of the times around 4-6 friendlies.

They would have some real fitness training going on before the friendlies started.

At least, it was like that when i was training with that team.

It was never an issue not being match fit. The biggest issue was team cohesion and tactic familiarity.

There is no doubt that i'm doing something wrong when it comes to actually playing the game, when it comes to getting players match fit.

I do suspect that the match fit "issue" might be connected to the testing using professional teams, which you mention.

Which also is understandable as that's what most players are playing with. The big dogs.

I am tempted though to bring it up in the bugs forum, not that i consider it a bug, in order for SI to replicate real life even better.

Especially the lower leagues.

One thing i definitely will bring up, which doesn't have anything to do with this particular "issue", is my league playing league games on Thursdays, rather than Saturdays like in real life.

The main issue here is that the other teams have all their starters at 100% all the time during the season ;-)

Otherwise, roykela's and BoxtoBox's points are 100% correct

No they don't, this is simply not true.

Anything less than 60 minutes per match doesn't seem to help much. It's very frustrating playing as a semi-pro team and not being able to build match fitness. Took me six friendlies and over 15 matches in the season to get I'd say 2/3 of my players match fit. 100%? Only for the keeper.

In my last season now i completely ignored match fitness for my regulars.

I overachieved. Was predicted to end up relegated.

Ended up safely mid-table.

That was my first season after getting promoted.

I think i will continue ignoring match fitness, as my team performs much better if i do that :D

I wouldn't say ignoring it is wise, as it can lead to injury problems. Just keep getting the basics right, and as you go higher up the pyramid and move from semi-pro to pro levels it will reap rewards. Glad you had an excellent season and I hope it continues.

Finished another pre-season now.

I played 10 friendlies and 3 competitive cup games, before the league started.

Training on high fitness, where my assistant is in control.

I played my starting eleven in all those matches. They started in 10 of those games and came on as subs

in 3 friendlies.

13 games is the same as half a season for me, in 2 months. 1,5 games a week in average.

13 leagues will take 3 months.

Result: 3 players match fit, where one of them isn't even a starter, on the first day of the league.

There are players in my first choice eleven that have better natural fitness and stamina than that second-choice player.

I think i'm getting stuck within my own thoughts now, because i have absolutely no idea

how the players aren't match fit.

I find it borderline absurd.

If all those games would've been competitive games the players would've reached acceptable match fitness around now.

Which still is way too long to be match fit.

Regarding ignoring it can lead to injury problems?!

Absolutely, it can. Although i have yet to experience problems with injuries.

My players do get injuries but nothing serious. They start getting "normal" injuries

when they are match fit, ironically enough.

My squad has been considerably reduced as well, in total.

Still i see no difference.

Archived