Being Bielsa, but a bit less loco (hopefully)!

Marcelo-Bielsa-Athletic-B-007.jpg

Marco Bielsa, know as El Loco, is one of the most interesting tacticians around at the moment. His Chile side was one of the most exciting sides at the last World Cup. His tactical philosophy is built around these core parts:

• Press, press and press
  • Rapid switching from attack to defence
  • High defensive line
  • Lots of movement from all players

At the beginning of this season he became manager of Athletic Bilbao, who are renowned for their Basque-only player policy. This great article at the Guardian details what he has done at the club, and what kind of a manager he is.

When he arrived, Bielsa had watched their 38 league games last season, writing all the details on colour-coded spreadsheets. And that really is all the details – he says: "There are 36 different forms of communicating through a pass." He watches thousands of games, building a footballing taxonomy, like some kind of botanist. If a player does something new, he labels and stores it, learning from it. Teaching from it, too. Few are so didactic: he once drew on his shoes to show players exactly which part of their foot to use, wearing them for days after. Video sessions can last five hours and players joke that they do not dare make a mistake lest the green laser rest upon them and Bielsa demand a convincing explanation.

At Bilbao he has used formations similar to his favoured 3-3-1-3, but he has shown a willingness to blend his approach with the style at Bilbao, know to be the most "English" team in La Liga, and a 4-2-3-1 formation has been prefered.

This combination has resulted in some wonderful football. Pep Guardiola, who once travelled to Argentina and spent 11 hours talking to Bielsa, described the 2-2 draw between the teams as un canto al fútbol – a song of praise, an ode to the game. This Guardian article covers that match nicely.

Zonal Marking also has two good articles on Bielsa and his tactics.

Bielsa’s Chile the most tactically-exciting side

Bielsa set to thrive in Bilbao

Being Bielsa in FM

As I am currently managing Athletic Bilbao, I have been reading up more and more on the club and Bielsa. For the 4 seasons so far I have played a 4-2-3-1 with lots of playmakers and high pressing with zonal marking and control philosophy. It has produced good football but as we have achieved success teams are starting to play more defensively against us I want to improve how we attack, and I am looking to Biesla for inspiration.

The tactic

I have started with my 4-2-3-1 as the base, but have changed it so it is more of a 4-3-3:

bilbaotactic1.png

And here are the team settings:

bilbaoteamsettings1.png

As you can see I'm emulating Bielsa in a number of ways. Players are encouraged to take part in both attacking and defensive play. The team is set to press hard. Creative freedom and roaming are encouraged to help create space and opportunities. The attacking setting gives us a very high defensive line and a fast tempo. It will encourage players to move the play forward and towards the opponents goal.

I also have another version of this tactic with the AMR and AML in their traditional positions to help make them a bit more defensive. Not going to go all out attacking all the time. A 3-4-3 variant with a diamond midfield will be tried out once some players return from injury as I have limited options at DM. Interested to see how it will play as it should help give me more possession.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The tactic in action

The first game I decided to use this tactic in was against Real Sociedad in the Vasco Derby away from home. It was a brilliant 2-0 victory.

The stats show how we dominated the game.

bilbaostats1.png

I have all my players on rarely for long shots to encourage them to take other options instead.

I will use the second goal as an example of how the tactic proved to be so effective.

San Jose presses in defence, and wins the ball.

rsociedadvathleticclass.png

He passes it to Herrera, who immediately sends it out to Vadillo wide on the right.

Vadillo plays a through ball which Hernandez runs onto a scores with a strong finish.

3 moves from attack to defence, a key part of Bielsa's philosophy. And brilliant to watch it play out in FM. It will be interesting to see how this tactic plays out against different teams, but what a lovely start.

Im also playing with Bilbao atm so i will follow this with great interest! I will start playing with your tactic aswell to give some pointers and make it better and perhaps we'll get a good 3-4-3 aswell?

How's it working with so many playmakers btw? Have you altered the wingers wide play?

Im also playing with Bilbao atm so i will follow this with great interest! I will start playing with your tactic aswell to give some pointers and make it better and perhaps we'll get a good 3-4-3 aswell?

Well this is my squad at the moment: linky. As you can see de Galarettais is the best player in squad at DM but a few youngsters coming through. I'll likely give the 3-4-3 a go in some easier matches when I've got all my midfielders available as well.

How's it working with so many playmakers btw? Have you altered the wingers wide play?

It works well. No one is set as my main playmaker, I have them set as such to utilise the settings those give. Wingers are set just as AP(A).

I've now used the tactic over more matches and had some very good results.

Zurich 0 - 4 Athletic (53% possession, 78% passes completed)

Zerex 0 - 4 Athletic (56% possession, 81% passes completed)

Sporting 1 - 3 Athletic (50% possession, 75% passes completed)

Sporting actually gave me a few problems with their 4-5-1 formation, should probably have switched to the deeper 4-2-3-1 formation.

great to watch athletic tonight vs man united. there ability to press and play at a high intensity was evident, and once they got the ball, their movement and skill levels were out of sight. Very barcelona like. Some great talent in the team, will keep an eye on this post as i'll be checking them out in game soon.

I'm working on a Bielsa tactic with Bilbao too! I was inspired by tonight's game.

I wrote this this thread inspired by all the build up for the game tonight, and the game was the perfect advert for the Biesla style of play. Definitely expect to see more trying to recreate what he has done.

Good thread and it'll be interesting to see how you go emulating El Loco. :)

Just out of interest, I spotted you have Álvaro Vadillo. Wasn't aware he had Basque "nationality". Other than if something has changed with the data update, was wondering how you managed to get him.

Good thread and it'll be interesting to see how you go emulating El Loco. :)

Just out of interest, I spotted you have Álvaro Vadillo. Wasn't aware he had Basque "nationality". Other than if something has changed with the data update, was wondering how you managed to get him.

He does have Basque nationality, though Bilbao can also recruit Spanish U-16s in the game though I only have one player like that in my squad.

I'll be posting an update on the tactic tomorrow, been playing some very exciting football.

Ahh, possibly Vadillo may have Basque family ties the Real Betis researcher has applied for the update then, unless you signed him at the age of 16 and the game has accepted the Spanish recruitment up to that age :thup:

Looking forward to following your thread. I always enjoy reading how people try to emulate different real managers in the game :)

I did also see the match tonight, and actually; my team pressed as much as they did tonight! The minor change ive done is to change the tackling to aggressive which i think reflects the IRL bilbao more. Was truly a sight, i defeated Valencia at Mestalla keeping them with a ridiculous low amount of completed passes and i did my goals on turnovers. Truly Bielsa!? :)

Ahh, possibly Vadillo may have Basque family ties the Real Betis researcher has applied for the update then, unless you signed him at the age of 16 and the game has accepted the Spanish recruitment up to that age

Started my game before the update, he has Basque nationality in the normal database. I think he is also 16 at the start of the game.

Looking forward to following your thread. I always enjoy reading how people try to emulate different real managers in the game

I'm actually quite glad he is at Bilbao, certainly seen him mix his style with that of the club into something more easily reproduceable in FM than his 3-3-1-3.

http://i.imgur.com/2vC1L.png I'm just holidaying through the season for now. Haven't lost in the league yet and just got that result.

Wow very nice, you using the tactic I described in the first post or one you've done yourself?

Wow very nice, you using the tactic I described in the first post or one you've done yourself?

One I made myself. I used those articles in your post to build it, so thanks for that!

In other news, lost my first game of the season after 15 games :(

Standard then. Is the 4-3-3 variation the only tact you play, or have you used the 3-3-1-3 formation aswell?

Got a 3-4-3 variation with one of the defenders pushed into the DM slot I want to try out but really need some of my youngsters to develop before I have enough depth at DM to try it. For now just using the one in my first post.

Forgot to mention that i switched to man marking aswell and it did work fine. One of my backs were always a sweeper, at least so far. I've made a 343 diamond tactic and it works great with narrow two striker formation but against wider it struggles. But the,high pressing compensate a bit. Im playing fb man marking strikers keeping the dc free. Good for passing options when in possession.

Very good analysis of the match by ZM.

So far in the matches I have seen they have used man marking with an exception of the spare center back who plays like a sweeper.

Zonal marking is a preference of mine, to be more Biesla like yes man marking is the better option. I may switch to it at some point and set a DC to cover.

I've also been trying out a Bielsa-inspired tactic after watching last nights game. Having great results but my team is quite tight having been together for 2 seasons now so this could be a major factor (also am still on FM2011)

Anyway, I went for this.

Team Instructions:

Fluid

Attacking

More Expressive Passing

Press More

More Aggressive

Man Marking

More Roaming

Primary Playmaker set to None

Player roles (all players have Long shots set to rarely)

Sweeper Keeper - Att (set Creative freedom, passing style, Long shots, Through balls, cross ball to zero, Defender collect and distribute to your best fullback. Also tick HUB)

DCR - Ball Playing Defender - Cover (set RWB to sometimes)

DCL - Central Defender - Def (If opponent plays one up front manually tick his marking to be that lone striker)

Wing Back Right - Att (move up to proper wing back position)

Wing Back Left - Att (move up)

Deep Lying Playmaker - Defend

CMR - Central Midfielder - Defend

CML - Central Midfielder - Support

AMR - Inside Forward - Attack

AML - Inside Forward - Attack

SC - Complete Forward - Support

No shouts or OI's in game. Have switched down from Attacking to Control in last 15 mins of games. I'll keep using this until the end of the season to be able to report back further.

Nice thread, and what a timing to be opened...A few hours before the Bielsa triumph against Manchester...

Yeah, match has certainly helped interest in it though it could have been the other way round!

any chance of a link to download would love to start testing

All the settings for the tactic are in the first post, should take a couple of minutes to set up in the tactics creator.

I've also been trying out a Bielsa-inspired tactic after watching last nights game. Having great results but my team is quite tight having been together for 2 seasons now so this could be a major factor (also am still on FM2011)

Anyway, I went for this.

Team Instructions:

Fluid

Attacking

More Expressive Passing

Press More

More Aggressive

Man Marking

More Roaming

Primary Playmaker set to None

Player roles (all players have Long shots set to rarely)

Sweeper Keeper - Att (set Creative freedom, passing style, Long shots, Through balls, cross ball to zero, Defender collect and distribute to your best fullback. Also tick HUB)

DCR - Ball Playing Defender - Cover (set RWB to sometimes)

DCL - Central Defender - Def (If opponent plays one up front manually tick his marking to be that lone striker)

Wing Back Right - Att (move up to proper wing back position)

Wing Back Left - Att (move up)

Deep Lying Playmaker - Defend

CMR - Central Midfielder - Defend

CML - Central Midfielder - Support

AMR - Inside Forward - Attack

AML - Inside Forward - Attack

SC - Complete Forward - Support

No shouts or OI's in game. Have switched down from Attacking to Control in last 15 mins of games. I'll keep using this until the end of the season to be able to report back further.

Sounds like a good tactic will be interesting to see how it works for you.

I'm going to do a detailed post on how the tactic is going once I've played an away game against Barca I've got coming up. won 3-2 against Real Madrid (2 penalties for us though) and 2-1 away at Shaktar. Most other wins have been against weaker opponents so want to see how it holds up under a sterner test. I have now switched to man marking to see how that will work out.

Bielsa must have replaced Mourinho as the most "talked about" and immitated managed on FM now........ first after people got to see Chile at the last world cup, then more recently as Athletic made more and more news under him.

The one thing which is interesting to replicate is his steadfast approach of only altering his shape to react the opposition formation, not the opposition stature. Where its Man Utd away or Granada at home, his tactical shape is purely defined by how many attackers the opposition sets up with. Last night being the best example, go to old trafford and attack you say?? Crazy........how many EPL managers have gone there and lost 2 nil and said "you dont to to old trafford and attack, they will take you appart".......

Interesting that people interpret his style as "lots of playmakers" - Although in FM terms i can see how that works, its ironic that his time as Argentina boss was not a huge sucess, and this is often put down to his refusal to play a traditional "playmaker" at a time when Argentina had a couple of world class ones.

I would think its down to the fact that the player role "Advanced Playmaker" on FM doesnt really mean what it says on the tin? It sets a few specific sliders but unless you select the name in the "playmakers" section he/they wont play like a traditional playmaker.

The one part of Bielsa's strategy i find it hard to replicate is the hard working element to his attackers. Although playing as "fluid" helps, getting your target man to chase back 40 yards or having your wide players cover as much real estate as Bilboa do is hard to create in my experience?

Always find it a shame that few people try and play this style/system in england on FM - I am giving it a try, curious to see how it works against a very different style of football!

The one thing which is interesting to replicate is his steadfast approach of only altering his shape to react the opposition formation, not the opposition stature. Where its Man Utd away or Granada at home, his tactical shape is purely defined by how many attackers the opposition sets up with. Last night being the best example, go to old trafford and attack you say?? Crazy........how many EPL managers have gone there and lost 2 nil and said "you dont to to old trafford and attack, they will take you appart".......

It was brilliant to see him go to Old Trafford and attack, really exposed Man Utds midfield.

Interesting that people interpret his style as "lots of playmakers" - Although in FM terms i can see how that works, its ironic that his time as Argentina boss was not a huge sucess, and this is often put down to his refusal to play a traditional "playmaker" at a time when Argentina had a couple of world class ones.

I would say the FM Advanced Playmaker role is quite different to the classic Argentinian no. 10. That kind of playmaker is not expected to get involved much in all areas of play and serves as a conduit for attack, whereas with Biesla he expects all player to get involved in everything and attacks can be started from anywhere.

I would think its down to the fact that the player role "Advanced Playmaker" on FM doesnt really mean what it says on the tin? It sets a few specific sliders but unless you select the name in the "playmakers" section he/they wont play like a traditional playmaker.

I think it does reflect modern playmakers, the traditional Argentine type is not one you tend to see very often nowadays

The one part of Bielsa's strategy i find it hard to replicate is the hard working element to his attackers. Although playing as "fluid" helps, getting your target man to chase back 40 yards or having your wide players cover as much real estate as Bilboa do is hard to create in my experience?

I've had quite a bit of luck with it. In my last game against Barcelona (a 3-2 victory at Camp Nou that I will do a detailed series of posts on it in a bit), my STC and STL made as many tackles as my defenders and central midfielders. All my players covered an average of 10km in the game.

Always find it a shame that few people try and play this style/system in england on FM - I am giving it a try, curious to see how it works against a very different style of football!

If I wasn't so involved with my Athletic game I would definitely try this in the EPL, probably as someone like Swansea.

Apart from a few Champions League matches and a tough 2-2 draw with Sevilla, the away game against Barca in the league was the first major test of the formation. I have made 2 changes to the tactic since I started using it:

• One defender is now set to cover
  • Man marking is used for everyone, really helps the pressing game.

The match was a brilliant 3-2 win for us.

barcelonavathleticsplit.png

As you can see they dominated in possession, passes completed and shots but we had the better chances. If you look at the stats for my players you can see how everyone in the team is tackling and running lots.

barcelonavathleticstats.png

I'm going to show our 2 goals from open play, 1 was from a corner. 1 of their goals was from a corner, the other was just Messi being Messi.

Our first goal from open play started with Azpilicueta picking up a Barca clearance.

barcelonavathleticclass.png

He feeds it to Ekiza who is on the left.

He passes upfield to De Marcos

De Marcos passes to Muniain who is moving forward in the middle.

Who plays a through ball for Hernandez to pick up

And Hernandez slots the ball home.

Two goals that illustrate the rapid movement of the ball from front to back and how my team always has players in space to keep things going.

The tactic has been working brilliantly in all competitions. Highlights include:

• Villareal 2 - 4 Athletic
  • Athletic 9 - 1 Las Palmas
  • Athletic 5 - 0 At. Madrid
  • Napoli 2 - 3 Athletic

I'm on a very long unbeaten run, morale has stayed very high. The football is just brilliant to watch, beautiful attacking play. We've scored 65 goals in the league, 2 more than Barca! Main issue at the moment is player tiredness and injuries. Starting to use quite a few of the younger players in my squad regularly to give the more experienced players a rest. Very, very happy with this tactic and the tweaks have made it more solid and better represent the Biesla style.

I just want to second the Man Marking thing...

Especially the Man Specific works great...

It is like there is a THIRD marking system...One is Zonal, Two is Man (No specific) and three is Man Mark Specific...

A good idea inspired by Bielsa Marking system is a 41221 with all players specific marking except one...

DR Man mark ML or AML, High Close Down

DCR Man Mark ST, High Close Down

DCL Zonal Mark, LOW Close Down

DL Man Mark MR or AMR, High Close Down

DM Man Mark AMC, High Close Down

MCR Man Mark MCL, High Close Down

MCL Man Mark MCR, High Close Down

AMR Man Mark DL, High Close Down

AML Man Mark DR, High Close Down

ST Man Mark Opposition Technique gifted DC, OR DMC if the play the same system...

I worked brilliantly for me against a 4231...

The marking is just the way it should be...

But its not working against 442 or 41212 etc, and i dont have the time to experiment as i want to play my Career Save, and i dont have the knowledge of the sliders and the ME.

Just an idea...

Maybe by this, and including some other settings it would be possible to build a good defensive tactic...

It is like there is a THIRD marking system...One is Zonal, Two is Man (No specific) and three is Man Mark Specific...

A good idea inspired by Bielsa Marking system is a 41221 with all players specific marking except one...

ST Man Mark Opposition Technique gifted DC, OR DMC if the play the same system...

But its not working against 442 or 41212 etc, and i dont have the time to experiment as i want to play my Career Save, and i dont have the knowledge of the sliders and the ME.

Just an idea...

Maybe by this, and including some other settings it would be possible to build a good defensive tactic...

This is exactly how Bielsa set his team up at Old Trafford.

I tried Bielsa inspired tactics for a season in the Australian premier league.

I built a determined team with high determination, work rate, team work, stamina, aggression and quite a lot of flair (for Australia) up front, we won the regular season and then lost in the finals after dominating the game up until they hit us on the counter when we got tired.

I think that this approach is too “Loco” for my liking, its unpredictable and hard to control – with this tactic you can beat better teams then your own but you can just as easily lose against worse teams, everything is just on the edge and the tempo is too intense. It is a very romantic tactic that does not suit the cynics

Just an idea...

Im employing a similar man marking system, but with Llorente zonally marking the two opposition DC's.

I would have thought however, that a more rigid philosophy would help the man marking system, rather than the fluid approaches mentioned on this thread.

My two tactics:

433 - http://flic.kr/p/bpCrNJ - Tweeked things slightly since these screenshots, Javi Martinez is now an Anchor man

3-2-2-2-1 - http://flic.kr/p/bpCrNJ - Tweeked things slightly, San Jose is now a Ball playing stopper

What do you guys think?

Still working good cemendur? Tried a 3-4-3 yet?

Yeah had a very successful season with it. Had a few horrific defensive displays, but the formation isn't going to be as good defensively as others given the emphasis on others.

Should have a couple of very interesting games this season. Guardiola left Barca to manage Spain, and they appointed Biesla after I rejected them. Cannot wait to see how my tactic matches up against his 3-4-3.

Marcelo-Bielsa-Athletic-B-007.jpg

Marco Biesla, know as El Loco, is one of the most interesting tacticians around at the moment. His Chile side was one of the most exciting sides at the last World Cup. His tactical philosophy is built around these core parts:

• Press, press and press
  • Rapid switching from attack to defence
  • High defensive line
  • Lots of movement from all players

At the beginning of this season he became manager of Athletic Bilbao, who are renowned for their Basque-only player policy. This great article at the Guardian details what he has done at the club, and what kind of a manager he is.

At Bilbao he has used formations similar to his favoured 3-3-1-3, but he has shown a willingness to blend his approach with the style at Bilbao, know to be the most "English" team in La Liga, and a 4-2-3-1 formation has been prefered.

This combination has resulted in some wonderful football. Pep Guardiola, who once travelled to Argentina and spent 11 hours talking to Biesla, described the 2-2 draw between the teams as un canto al fútbol – a song of praise, an ode to the game. This Guardian article covers that match nicely.

Zonal Marking also has two good articles on Biesla and his tactics.

Bielsa’s Chile the most tactically-exciting side

Bielsa set to thrive in Bilbao

Being Biesla in FM

As I am currently managing Athletic Bilbao, I have been reading up more and more on the club and Biesla. For the 4 seasons so far I have played a 4-2-3-1 with lots of playmakers and high pressing with zonal marking and control philosophy. It has produced good football but as we have achieved success teams are starting to play more defensively against us I want to improve how we attack, and I am looking to Biesla for inspiration.

The tactic

I have started with my 4-2-3-1 as the base, but have changed it so it is more of a 4-3-3:

bilbaotactic1.png

And here are the team settings:

bilbaoteamsettings1.png

As you can see I'm emulating Biesla in a number of ways. Players are encouraged to take part in both attacking and defensive play. The team is set to press hard. Creative freedom and roaming are encouraged to help create space and opportunities. The attacking setting gives us a very high defensive line and a fast tempo. It will encourage players to move the play forward and towards the opponents goal.

I also have another version of this tactic with the AMR and AML in their traditional positions to help make them a bit more defensive. Not going to go all out attacking all the time. A 3-4-3 variant with a diamond midfield will be tried out once some players return from injury as I have limited options at DM. Interested to see how it will play as it should help give me more possession.

Grete inspiration, this thread and also the display by Bielsa's Team last Thursday....

One questions tough. You have Javi Martinez as Ball Winning Midfielder. I am not on my computer and cannot check his stats, is he a good tackler? Or is he more suited to a different role?

Grete inspiration, this thread and also the display by Bielsa's Team last Thursday....

One questions tough. You have Javi Martinez as Ball Winning Midfielder. I am not on my computer and cannot check his stats, is he a good tackler? Or is he more suited to a different role?

I believe his marking and tackling are both 15ish, and my coaches actually recommend BWM on support as his role. So yes, he has suitable attributes to play that role.

Im employing a similar man marking system, but with Llorente zonally marking the two opposition DC's.

I would have thought however, that a more rigid philosophy would help the man marking system, rather than the fluid approaches mentioned on this thread.

My two tactics:

433 - http://flic.kr/p/bpCrNJ - Tweeked things slightly since these screenshots, Javi Martinez is now an Anchor man

3-2-2-2-1 - http://flic.kr/p/bpCrNJ - Tweeked things slightly, San Jose is now a Ball playing stopper

What do you guys think?

So you set before every match each player to SPECIFIC mark the closest one?

And if opponent plays with 2 STs you play the 3-6-1 one, if 1 ST the 433?

Are those tactics continue to work so good? (no lose in 11 matches is great and some great results against the big two)

Are you using any other tweaks or shoots through matches?

What kind of goals do you conceed?

And out about CCC's yours or opponents?

So you set before every match each player to SPECIFIC mark the closest one?

And if opponent plays with 2 STs you play the 3-6-1 one, if 1 ST the 433?

Are those tactics continue to work so good? (no lose in 11 matches is great and some great results against the big two)

Are you using any other tweaks or shoots through matches?

What kind of goals do you conceed?

And out about CCC's yours or opponents?

Yes, before every game I set each player who to mark specifically – AMR marks DL, DMC marks AMC etc. Sometimes these wont directly match up but thats ok. The spare DC and SC (Llorente) have zonal marking.

I use the 3-6-1 against 2 SCs and 4-3-3 against 1 SC. The only tweeks I make is if the opposition switch formation ie if they change to two SCs, I change my system and vise-versa.

I tend to concede if my team gets tired but I also create 2/3 or 4 CCCs in most games.

I have changed my philosophy to Fluid and play Default passing and creativity. Thinking about moving my full-backs forward to wingbacks in the 4-3-3 but haven't tested this out yet.

Yes, before every game I set each player who to mark specifically – AMR marks DL, DMC marks AMC etc. Sometimes these wont directly match up but thats ok. The spare DC and SC (Llorente) have zonal marking.

I use the 3-6-1 against 2 SCs and 4-3-3 against 1 SC. The only tweeks I make is if the opposition switch formation ie if they change to two SCs, I change my system and vise-versa.

I tend to concede if my team gets tired but I also create 2/3 or 4 CCCs in most games.

I have changed my philosophy to Fluid and play Default passing and creativity. Thinking about moving my full-backs forward to wingbacks in the 4-3-3 but haven't tested this out yet.

How does your 3-6-1 looks like, please?

Archived