SJ234

Welcome to the thread of

arsenal-badge.jpg

for Football Manager 2011

Can you end the barren years?

The Captain

article-1287560952722-0BAEBAF6000005DC-531617_636x723.jpg

History

Arsenal FC was founded in 1886 as Dial Square, and was originally based in south-east London. Shortly after their foundation, they were renamed Royal Arsenal, but once again renamed themselves Woolwich Arsenal after becoming a professional team in 1891. 1913 brought about a move to North London for the club, to the famous Highbury stadium, and it wasn't until a year later that Arsenal dropped the 'Woolwich' part of their name altogether and became Arsenal, like they are today. Although the club only finished in 5th place in the league in 1919, they were chosen to join the First Division.

1925 brought along arguably the most famous manager to ever be in charge of Arsenal. Herbert Chapman signed Cliff Bastin and Alex James, two players who are still regarded as excellent players, and he won the first trophies in the history of Arsenal. The FA Cup was the first major trophy to be won, with the club lifting that trophy in the 1929/30 season. A year later they won their first league title, and two years later came a second title.Sadly, Chapman died of pneumonia in 1934, but his legacy continued under Joe Shaw and George Allison and the club continued to win honours.

Tom Whittaker took over the club after the war period. This lead to another spout of success, although this success soon dried up as in the 1950s and 1960s the club spent the majority of their time trophy-less. Physiotherapist Bertie Mee brought back success to the club after his appointment as manager in 1966, including their first league and cup double in the 1970/71 season. The clubs good fortunes under Mee, however, soon started fading away and with 1986 came a new manager to Arsenal.

Former player, George Graham, yet again brought glory to the North London club. A victory in the League Cup in 1986/87 - Graham's first season in charge - lead to great optimism around the club. Two years later came his first league win, and arguably Arsenal's finest moment ever came in 1988/89. In the final game of the season, a last minute goal from Michael Thomas against fellow title contenders Liverpool brought the title and great celebration back to the club. However after this the style of football changed and the standard of player dropped as Graham’s teams became very one dimensional as they worked upon the basis of Ian Wright scores and then they defend for their lives. This made the team more dependent on the cups for success and in the summer of ’94 Arsenal won the European cup winners’ cup. In 1995 his reputation was tattered, as it emerged that he had been paid by an agent to sign certain players which perhaps explained what could best be described as strange transfer policy.

Graham's replacement, Bruce Rioch, only managed the club for one season before leaving after a dispute with the board. However in that one season he saw the signing of arguably the club’s greatest player, Dennis Bergkamp. This did see a change in style of football as the club began to tear away the monotonous period of 1-0s and replaced them with a more open style of play.

Rioch's short reign was followed by Arsenal's current manager, Arsene Wenger, taking over in 1996. New training, tactics led to much success from Wenger, and Arsenal's greatest season came under Wenger’s reign. Some of Arsenal's all time best players, including Henry, Vieira, Adams, Seaman, Pires, Ljungberg, Bergkamp, Keown and Campbell played under Arsene Wenger. During the 2003/04 season Wengers side won the league without losing a single game all season, an incredible feat for any team. This earned the team the nickname 'The Invincibles', although none of the players from that team remain except for Clichy. That unbeaten season contributed to a huge 49 games unbeaten, an English record. Arsene Wenger's team has never retained the league the season after they have won it, although they have finished in either first or second in eight of Wengers' seasons at the club. Wenger took Arsenal to the UEFA Champions League final in 2005/06, becoming the first ever London team to achieve this. Unfortunately they lost out to Barcelona, a Jens Lehmann red card contributing to their eventual 2-1 defeat. This European success was built upon a strong defence where they broke the European record for the longest period of time without conceding a goal, this was achieved even though the defence was far from first choice-Eboue, Toure, Senderos and Flamini at left back.

July 2006 took the team to a new stadium, The Emirates, although this move wasn't quite as drastic as the last move of location. Highbury - the home of Arsenal for 93 years - was just minutes away from the new stadium. The first match played at the stadium was a testimonial to Dutch striker Dennis Bergkamp. However Arsenal is yet to win a trophy at their new home.

Recent Seasons

2006/7- Pathetic season where the only thing of note to happen was the reaching of the Carling cup final which was lost 2-1

2007/8 – The first season after the departure of Henry and Arsenal were superb and were in control of the league until the unfortunate injury to Eduardo which lead to the infamous Gallas tantrum this led to collapse of Arsenal’s season.

2008/9- Another poor season where Arsenal were in danger of falling out of the top 4 until Aston Villa’s demise at the end of the season. This season saw the arrival of the enigma Arshavin.

2009/10- Arsenal after the sales of Toure and Adebayor to City for handsome profits started the season in style with the demolition of Everton away at Goodison Park (6-1). Arsenal however seemed to fall away after home and away defeats to Man U and Chelsea however they kept coming back. The title chase collapsed at white hart lane, where a weak Arsenal team were defeated. This lead to the collapse of Arsenal’s season and Fabianski’s confidence as he made multiple terrible errors.

To Discuss Real Life Arsenal go

Here

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Real Life Starting XI

GK - Manuel Almunia (1) The weak link in the team and the subject of much abuse due to his incompetence. His primary cover Fabianski is derided for his ability to make costly mistakes however in recent games he seems to be gaining confidence.

DR - Bacary Sagna (3) signed for Arsenal from Auxerre in 2007, and quickly established himself as the starting right back for the first team squad. A very solid player who is as comfortable going forward as he is at the back, this ability is why people consider him to be among the best right backs in the world.

DL - Gael Clichy (22) was brought to Arsenal in 2003, signing from French club Cannes after the club were relegated to the French Third Division. Although Clichy first stepped into the Arsenal team during 2005, it wasn't until a year later - when Ashley Cole secured a transfer to Chelsea - that the player became a regular in the Arsenal team. A very able left back however he is starting to get criticism for his tendency to be error prone.

DC – Laurent Koscielny (6)- recently signed from Lorient for £10 million he is a top class tackler and is a good reader of the game. He does however lack strength and is easily out muscled at times however he seems to be another top find by Wenger

DC - Thomas Vermaelen (5) was signed from Ajax in the summer of 2009 for a fee rising to £10.1million, and is rumoured to have been signed as a readymade replacement for Manchester City bound Kolo Toure. The Belgian central defender scored on his Arsenal debut, in the 6-1 victory over Everton. Vermaelen was perhaps a surprise signing for Arsenal, considering fans had been crying out for more experienced players to be brought in, but early performances suggest that the 23 year old could prove that experience isn't everything.

AMR - Theo Walcott (14) he was once hailed as England’s great hope and this hype has damaged his career. His game is based round his lightening speed and good ability off the ball which makes him a dream for a midfield playmaker. He is a match-winner and is a player who is able to make something out of nothing.

MC – Alex Song (17) the surprise package of the previous system where he developed from a squad player to being the player Arsenal miss most when he is out. He is a key player who gives the balance to the attacking flair of the midfield. However this year it looks like Wenger has given him more freedom to roam forwards.

AMC - Cesc Fabregas (4) the main man. He is one of the world’s top players a truly outstanding player. He is able to supply goals and assists in equal quantities. This is why it is no surprise that his boyhood club wanted him back however Wenger blocked the move and this hasn’t seemed to dampen Cesc’s immense talents.

MC – Jack Wilshere (19) a truly gifted playmaker who this season has quickly become one of Arsenal’s key players with his string pulling from deep. He is fast becoming one of the best prospects in world football. His diminutive stature and elegant playing style draw comparisons with the Spanish duo of Iniesta and Xavi. A key player who surely deserves to be given his chance to run the England midfield like he does the Arsenal

AML: Andrey Arshavin (23) a magically unpredictable player who goes from producing pieces of skill which would make Messi proud to being so anonymous that it seems like Arsenal are playing with 10 men. A competent goalscorer and creator who is well known for his ability to score great goals, a bit of a luxury player if I am honest.

ST: Robin Van Persie (10) a brilliant player who would be considered as one of the best players in the world if only he could spend a whole season away from the physio’s room. He is technically superb and has more of an eye for goal than the previous Dutch incumbent of this shirt.

Other Information

Finances: Arsenal’s finances are superb with a financial model which most clubs would die for. This means that you will find that you will always have money to spend. This is due to the new stadium, which brings in £2.5million per game.

Facilities: The training facilities are World Class, however the youth facilites are very good but not to the same standard of the training facilities. This does mean that you can improve them over the years. The stadium won’t be replaced for multiple years due to its age.

The Boardroom: Peter Hill-Wood is the 3rd generation of the Hill-Wood family to be chairman at Arsenal, he is very patient however he isn’t a ‘sugar-daddy’ so don’t expect large investments. There shouldn’t be a takeover at the club for a few years due to how the game currently, as of FM10, structures boards.

First Team Analysis

GK: The weak area in real life is just like real life as in you have two senior keepers in Almunia who is solid and dependable as ever by the looks of it. The other senior keeper is the much maligned Fabianski who doesn’t look like he has changed much from FM10 so I would look to get rid of him at some point as he doesn’t by the look of it have the ability to become first choice at a top club. The only other keepers worth mentioning are Mannone who is terrible in real life and will probably be the same in the game and Wojciech Szczesny who is highly rated in real life however in the game it looks like it could be difficult to make him good enough.

Targets: At the moment it looks quite similar to FM10 as in it is Benaglio, Ochoa and possibly Steklenburg and even Frey if you want someone who is reasonably priced but there are of course people like Adler, can’t imagine that they would be too cheap.

Youth Targets:

FBs: A very strong area in the team with 4 fullbacks who are all good going forward and at the back which means there is no real need for you to buy in better fullbacks as there aren’t going to be many who are and they will in all likelihood be very expensive as good fullbacks are a rare commodity currently. So I wouldn’t sell any of them at the start, in the future I would sell Eboue and possibly Gibbs depending on how he develops for you.

Targets: None required currently as these four are good enough to get one with however future prospects would include Aurier and Digne.

Youth Targets:

CBs: Wenger’s recent investment leaves Arsenal stronger here than they were previously. Vermaelen is probably the best of the lot however you couldn’t describe him as world class. Djourou seems to be pretty solid as well but I doubt he will become the best in the world. Koscielny seems to be decent and quite good however nothing special his stats may not be quite right or poor however that is due to him being a new signing which means the data isn’t edited till a later date. Finally there is Squillaci who is again solid if not spectacular. The result of this solidness is that there is no one who needs to be replaced immediately however there is room for improvement in the future. Nordviet could develop into a player worthy of the first team but otherwise there are no prospects.

Targets: I would look at the usual suspects from previous games such as Sakho, Musacchio and Rami.

Youth Targets: Galeano, looks good

DMs: There is only one player who is a DM and that is Song who looks like he has been rated very well and rightly so as he is a class act. However there is no cover for him so this means if you are playing a formation dependent upon a Dm you will need to purchase cover. For prospects Eastmond and Frimpong look decent and could with luck be developed into good players.

Targets: Yann M’Villa looks good and quite affordable there is of course the more expensive options such as Palombo, Sissoko and Rodwell who would all do a great job.

Youth Targets: Agyei- looks good at fiorentina

MCs: A strong area for the team with there being two amazing prospects, another very good, a selection of decent to good players and a truly world class player in the shape of Fabregas. The two prospects are obviously Ramsey and Wilshere, however as you will probably be aware Ramsey is badly injured with his broken leg. These two provide you with a future and no need to invest in young superstars as you have two anyway. You then have Lansbury who looks like he could develop into a good player. Then you have Diaby and Denilson who both look pretty good if unspectacular and of course there is Fabregas but no need to explain here.

Targets: don’t see the need for any

Youth Targets: Kevin of Zaragoza looks good and is highly rated by scouts

AMR/L: Lots of variety here with the pace of Walcott and the craft of Arshavin. Arshavin is obviously a very good player, Walcott is also good due to his pace so a challenge will be how to best use him. Nasri is also very able, and will be a good player for years to come. Rosicky is also clearly a class act however he isn’t a youngster and he will be quite injury prone. So he could be replaced in the future. Emmanuel-Thomas could be prospect for the future as could be Ebecillo.

Targets: Eden Hazard and Gervinho who are both good.

Youth Targets:

FC: Obviously the star is Van Persie however the likelihood is that he will be injury prone and in previous years this would have mattered however this year there is Chamakh who is a good player on the game and easily good enough to cover after these two there is Bendtner who once again looks like he is easily good enough to be 3rd choice and he could once again score goals. Vela I think could be used either upfront if you are playing with two upfront however if your playing with one I would be tempted to play him on the wings as I did in Fm10, he would wreak havoc from the right as he cut in. Afobe could turn into something however this unlikely.

Targets: Don’t see the need for any as for prospects not too sure at the moment.

Youth Targets:

Other Positions:

Sweeper- No one can play there and I have never used it so no idea who would be suited to it

MR/L- Wouldn’t play with them as none of Arsenal’s wide men would be suited.

AMC: Lots of people who could play there such as Fabregas, Nasri, Rosicky and Arshavin. So playing with one would be quite straight forward

Youth Targets: Paulo Henrique

Please suggest changes to this, just Pm me

Good thread

Will no doubt have a arsenal save on fm11 sometime, starting with them on the demo.

Fabregas looks class, 20 determination ftw, master tutor and playmaker

He does indeed, looking forward to having a good long save with Arsenal to develop Wilshere and Ramsey

Great thread SJ :thumbsup:

@The Chosen One

Try going for Pedro Leon, is brilliant for me in AMR :D

How much did you pay, mate? It's 30th Aug in my save and Real don't seem to be willing to sell. Started from 5.5m til now 9m rejected. Anything more than that seems a lot for a player they have as squad rotation. May be they blocking coz he only recently joined :(

suggy, take those games on!!! i beat united 4-0, drew 0-0 with chelskea and then beat spuds 2-0 :)

signings:

Frey - 8.75 Million

Macheda - 5 million

trochowski - 7.5million

Great thread SJ :thumbsup:

How much did you pay, mate? It's 30th Aug in my save and Real don't seem to be willing to sell. Started from 5.5m til now 9m rejected. Anything more than that seems a lot for a player they have as squad rotation. May be they blocking coz he only recently joined :(

forgot he had just gone to real >.< sorry about that!

Nice OP mate! :)

I've started my season now and going to carry this one one when the proper game comes out. Created a tactic which seems to be working brilliantly in pre-season.

Signings:

Stekelenburg - 12m

Lukaku - 7m

Coeff - 2m

Nlundulu(former pompey) - Free

Magri(pompey youth) - 900k

Turan - 7.75m

Galeano (I'd suggest everyone have a look at him he is the next Otamendi!) - 3.5m

Atila Turan - 1.7m

Jack Robinson - 1.1m

Chinedu Vine(Another pompey youth) - 925k

Alex Chamberlain - 350k

Daniel Kofi Agyei(looks like a brilliant prospect) - 4.5m

Loaned all the reserves out that i could, also loaned Almunia & Diaby out. Rosicky was sold to Manchester United in his last year and wasn't prepared to extend for future reasons. If anyone would like some screenshots of any players specially my new signings then let me know. Can't stress how much Agyei & Galeano caught my eye both should become amazing in the future.

Magri, Robinson, Coeff, Lukaku all should have an high PA. Nlundulu did have on FM10 but i may have to ask the Portsmouth researcher this.

For future signings i have got;

Wellington Silva(already one at the start)

Martinez(GK) another one which is there from the start

Romario, a 16 year old right back who cost me 675k from Vitoria had interest from top european teams aswell when i went for him. I also beleive this guy has amazing potential and will be looking forward to when the full game comes out so i can get to see some of these players develop. :D

what is the best formation to play? i'm thinking of a 4-1-2-2-1 with chamakh up top. feel like letting song defend while i put 4 attacking midfielders. how much money can u get with arsenal with the maximum target?

will definitely make an Arsenal save on the full game. I think it's useless on the demo because it's England only and a half-season. My fun with Arsenal comes from young player development, and I definitely won't get that in the demo.

How much money do you get at the beginning of the first season?

Started a game last night and managed to get Hart for £15m, played a couple of games and he looks really good. Didn't think I could geet him but unlike real life they have him as back up. Apart from that I have decided to leave the rest of the squad as it. Using Nordviet as DM and he seems to be doing well, good back up to Song I think

This is a bit random, so i do apoligise, but are the FIFA fair play financial regulations included in this game. probably wont know in the demo as this wont kick in until 2012 / 2013 but should give Arsenal a massive advantage over Manu, City & Chelsea.

what is the best formation to play? i'm thinking of a 4-1-2-2-1 with chamakh up top. feel like letting song defend while i put 4 attacking midfielders. how much money can u get with arsenal with the maximum target?

That or 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-2-1

This is a bit random, so i do apoligise, but are the FIFA fair play financial regulations included in this game. probably wont know in the demo as this wont kick in until 2012 / 2013 but should give Arsenal a massive advantage over Manu, City & Chelsea.

Doubt it

Good thread SJ :thup: Have a look at De Gea as a potential Understudy for Almunia!

Do you know how much he will cost?

I'll let you know the cost of De Gea when my demos downloaded and installed. I'm gonna get him for my Real Madrid sde. Great thread btw SJ :thup:

Case and point though Jack he will cost you more, as he is moving from a rival club!! I shall put in a bid for him just to see how much he shall cost :thup:

Bought in Sergio Romero (10.5m) as a replacement to Almunia, Santa Cruz from Man City and Tamir Cohen. Haven't sold anyone (yet!) but having moderate success. Playing a 4-1-2-3 (two AMs, three STs) - drew against Man Utd (2-2) and Chelsea (4-4), won against Tottenham (3-0) and currently thrashing Werden Bremen 3-0.

Shame it's only a demo save :/

just started, signed Lukaku, Arshavin out 3 months Arghhh :mad::D

Is he still stupidly good?

Bought in Sergio Romero (10.5m) as a replacement to Almunia, Santa Cruz from Man City and Tamir Cohen. Haven't sold anyone (yet!) but having moderate success. Playing a 4-1-2-3 (two AMs, three STs) - drew against Man Utd (2-2) and Chelsea (4-4), won against Tottenham (3-0) and currently thrashing Werden Bremen 3-0.

Shame it's only a demo save :/

Exciting start :thup: is Romero any good?

Hmm, what to do?

So I've gotten round to firing up an Arsenal save. I went into the reserves and brought up nearly every promising talent in there to the first team. Now I'm looking at the first team and I immediately encounter a problem; what formation am I going to play?

At the moment, I'm thinking of playing 4-2-3-1 with three AMC's but this brings up a number of issues:

1) Fabregas is not an accomplished AMC and will require training to play there. He plays here a lot in real life. I'd be stifling his creativity if I played him in CM behind the attacking midfielders and strikers.

2) Chamakh or van Persie? Van Persie is a bigger goal threat but Chamakh would be an excellent choice for the lone striker role.

3) What do I do with Walcott? I'd usually play him on the right wing or up-front in a two-man partnership, but with the abundance of attacking midfielders in the squad I don't think it'd be possible.

Decisions... decisions...

What do you guys recommend?

If you want a good goalkeeper Sebastian Frey. You will not regret it ;)

the guy has won me more points than i can remember any other goalie doing so!!! so many wide open gaping goals the opposition have had rebounds find their players and almost every time he dives in and makes a fantastic save, i love him!!!

has almunia cost anybody any points since his downgrade in stats from fm10? :D

Started a game last night with these. My signings were:

Lukaku - £6 mill (had remaining transfer budget so went for it)

Cordobra - £3.5mill (old, yes but he still has his pace which is what I needed for my centre back position)

Montilivo - £12 mill (him and fab in the centre, oh yes!)

Santa Cruz - £2.4 mill

Hugo Almedia - Loan for season

Sold:

Rosicky - £4.1mill to Man Utd

Fabianski - Loan with future fee (£1M plus £2M)

I play a 5-3-2 as follows:

-----------------------Almunia---------------------

----Cordoba-- --Vermaelen---

--Sagna---------------------------------------Clichy

-------------Fabregas----Montilivo---------------

-------------------Arsharvin------------------------

----------Van Persie---Chamakh----------------

Can't remember the other centre backs name

Hmm, what to do?

So I've gotten round to firing up an Arsenal save. I went into the reserves and brought up nearly every promising talent in there to the first team. Now I'm looking at the first team and I immediately encounter a problem; what formation am I going to play?

At the moment, I'm thinking of playing 4-2-3-1 with three AMC's but this brings up a number of issues:

1) Fabregas is not an accomplished AMC and will require training to play there. He plays here a lot in real life. I'd be stifling his creativity if I played him in CM behind the attacking midfielders and strikers.

2) Chamakh or van Persie? Van Persie is a bigger goal threat but Chamakh would be an excellent choice for the lone striker role.

3) What do I do with Walcott? I'd usually play him on the right wing or up-front in a two-man partnership, but with the abundance of attacking midfielders in the squad I don't think it'd be possible.

Decisions... decisions...

What do you guys recommend?

1) just play him at AMc and retrain him, only need to experiment at the moment. Make him an AMC with the editor when/if you get the game

2) Rotate and see comes off best

3) Do a second tactic with an AMR set as winger attack crosses on mixed and move into channels

Started a game last night with these. My signings were:

Lukaku - £6 mill (had remaining transfer budget so went for it)

Cordobra - £3.5mill (old, yes but he still has his pace which is what I needed for my centre back position)

Montilivo - £12 mill (him and fab in the centre, oh yes!)

Santa Cruz - £2.4 mill

Hugo Almedia - Loan for season

Sold:

Rosicky - £4.1mill to Man Utd

Fabianski - Loan with future fee (£1M plus £2M)

I play a 5-3-2 as follows:

-----------------------Almunia---------------------

----Cordoba-- --Vermaelen---

--Sagna---------------------------------------Clichy

-------------Fabregas----Montilivo---------------

-------------------Arsharvin------------------------

----------Van Persie---Chamakh----------------

Can't remember the other centre backs name

Looks good, midfield looks top heavy :D

I'll almost definitely have a save with Arsenal on FM11, being a die hard in real life, but I'll probably wait until the full game.

A bit busy sorting everything for my PSG thread so I've only got time for a game with them, but I'll be seeing you guys in the near future hopefully. ;)

Nice thread so far SJ234. :thup:

interesting how the transfer budget is significantly lower than fm 2010. I've signed Sergio Romero for 9million so far. seems pretty similar to victor valdes in terms of attributes. I'm having trouble getting chamakh to score though. set him as target man but he converts very few chances :/

interesting how the transfer budget is significantly lower than fm 2010. I've signed Sergio Romero for 9million so far. seems pretty similar to victor valdes in terms of attributes. I'm having trouble getting chamakh to score though. set him as target man but he converts very few chances :/

Try him as a deep lying forward.

Archived