FM11: Southampton F.C. Thread (still sponsored by cheese, clocks and toblerone)

Matthew Le God

Saints_logo_2010.PNG

Southampton F.C. Guide - Football Manager 2011

This was last year...

[video=youtube;hasAxIl_V88]

Are you ready for this year?...

[video=youtube;eJYUbw1-c0A]

Find out in Football Manager 2011

• Want a League One side, two promotions away from the Premiership pot of gold? (tick)
  • Want a team with the estate of a Swiss Billionaire as owner? (tick)
  • Want a team with great youngsters you can bring through? (tick)
  • Want a team with a great youth academy and training setup? (tick)
  • Want a team with a large fan base, modern large stadium with ability to expand? (tick)

Choose life, choose Southampton!

Picture1-3.png

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Club Information

Picture1-7.png

Home Kit for 2010/11 season White shirt with red sash, white shorts, black socks

Home Kit after 2010/11 season : Red & white striped shirt, black shorts, white socks

Away Kit: Black shirts with faint stripes and red trimmings, black shorts and red socks with black trimmings.

Kit.png

Rivals: Portsmouth

Minor Rivals: AFC Bournemouth

Affiliations: Eastleigh

Legends: Lawrie McMenemy, Matthew Le Tissier, Ted Bates, Mick Channon

[video=youtube;YB9HjYmYwpk]

Icons: Ted Drake, Charlie Wayman, Bill Rawlings, Markus Liebherr, Derek Reeves, Nick Holmes, Gordon Strachan, Kevin Keegan, Jimmy Case, Ron Davies, Bobby Stokes, Terry Paine, Martin Chivers, Alan Ball

Favoured Personnel: Peter Shilton, Francis Benali, Jason Dodd, Dave Jones, Mark Wright, Wayne Bridge, Gareth Bale, Chris Nicholl, Tim Flowers, James Beattie, Chris Marsden, Chris Baird, Matthew Oakley, Rod Wallace, Mick Mills, Mark Dennis, Glenn Cockerill, Kevin Moore, Andrew Surman, Michael Svensson, Antti Niemi, Theo Walcott, Alan Shearer, Marian Pahars, Claus Lundekvam, Peter Osgood, David Armstrong, Steve Williams, Rickie Lambert

Disliked Staff: Harry Redknapp, Milan Mandaric, Rupert Lowe, Glenn Hoddle, Agustin Delgado, Ian Branfoot, Steve Claridge, Kenwyne Jones, Billy Davies, Eyal Berkovic, Graeme Souness, Nigel Quashie, Kevin Phillips

League: Coca Cola League One

Media Prediction: 2nd

Team Captain: Dean Hammond

Vice Captain: Jose Fonte

Finances

Estimated Value: £13.75m

Loan Debt: £0

Balance: £6m

Finances Secure

Transfer Budget: £500k to £675k (though with adjustments you can raise it to £1.9m)

Season One - Expectations

Picture5.png

Stadium and Training

Ground: St. Mary’s Stadium, Southampton

Capacity: 32,689

Expansion Capacity: 54,000

Season Ticket Holders: 13,800

Average Ticket Price: £25

Average Season Ticket Price: £426

Football%20stadium%20036.jpg

St Mary's Stadium

How St Mary's could look if expanded...[video=youtube;Ppy65d5QHcI]

Training ground: Staplewood

Training Facilities: Good Training Facilities

Youth Facilities: Good Youth Facilities + Youth Academy

0,,10280~7869078,00.jpg

Staplewood Training Ground

Staff

Chairman: Nicole Cortese

0,,10280~7868897,00.jpg

Nicola Cortese with model of the training ground development

Manager: Nigel Adkins

Assistant Manager: Andy Crosby

1st Team Coach: Dean Wilkins

Coach: Martin Hunter

Goalkeeper Coach: Vince Bartram

0,,10280~9042523,00.jpg

Nigel Adkins

0,,10280~9060474,00.jpg

Andy Crosby

0,,10280~8869676,00.jpg

Dean Wilkins

Fitness Coach: Nick Harvey

Fitness Coach: Louis Langdown

Fitness Coach: James Bunce

Youth Coach: Jason Dodd

Youth Coach: Matthew Crocker

Youth Coach: Terry Moore

Physio: Mo Gimpel

Physio: Steven Sparks

Physio: Chris Lovegrove

Physio: Matt Radcliffe

Physio: Mal Godtschailk

Physio: Emma Gimpel

Physio: Mark Forbes

Scout: Andrew Stone

Scout: Rod Ruddick

Scout: Chris Welman

Scout: Bill Green

Scout: Stephen Corns

Scout: David Burke

Centre Backs

First choice is January £1m signing from Crystal Palace Jose Fonte. Battling to be Fonte's defensive partner are the experienced Radhi Jaidi, January signing from Exeter Danny Seaborne and young Aaron Martin who signed last season from neighbours Eastleigh.

0,,10280~8869742,00.jpg

Jose Fonte

Picture1-4.png

0,,10280~8869766,00.jpg

Radhi Jaidi

Picture5-1.png

Central Midfielders

French youth international Morgan Schneiderlin is comfortable on the ball and he likes to sit in front of the defense and break out quickly. Former Colchester captain Dean Hammond covers every blade of grass to break down opposition attacks. Cover comes in the form of Oscar Gobern and experienced former Plymouth Argyle captain Paul Wotton.

0,,10280~8887904,00.jpg

Morgan Schneiderlin

Picture2-1.png

0,,10280~8887941,00.jpg

Dean Hammond

Picture3-1.png

Attacking Midfielders

Adam Lallana broke into the first team and the end of 2007/08 season and has this season made the left sided midfield spot his own. A naturally gifted player he has excellent technique both in distributing the ball and running at defenders. Jason Puncheon signed in January from Plymouth Argyle is the regular right sided midfielder. Brazilian Guly Do Prado on loan from Cesena provides competition both here and for the strikers.

0,,10280~8869708,00.jpg

Adam Lallana

Picture2-3.png

0,,10280~8887891,00.jpg

Jason Puncheon

Picture1-5.png

Youngsters to watch!

Alex Chamberlain son of former England international Mark Chamberlain is a big prospect as an attacking midfielder. Nuture his talents well and he will make the right midfield birth his own. Striker Ryan Doble has already been called up to the full Wales squad despite not having played for Saints but looks a good prospect.

0,,10280~8869709,00.jpg

Alex Chamberlain

Picture3-3.png

0,,10280~9089057,00.jpg

Ryan Doble

Picture1-6.png

Picture2-5.png

My tips for success with Southampton

• Ask the board for a parent club and you might get a top Premier League team to loan some youngsters from.
  • Due to the big money backing from a billionaire's estate, spend the money very wisely to keep in the chairman good books as he doesn't have much patience.
  • Make full use of the strong youth set up at the club
  • Make Guly Do Prado's loan permanent in January if you can.
  • Try to loan quality young players from the Premiership and upper Championship clubs in problem positions.
  • Make a 4 year plan for a promotion push back to the Premiership.

Saints_logo_2010.PNG

Who to loan and who to buy for Southampton in season one?

Picture3-4.png

Goalkeepers

Smithies, Alex - £650k

Defenders

Goncalves, Jose - Free Transfer

Shittu, Danny - Free Transfer

Ball, Michael - Free Transfer

Coleman, Seamus - Loan

van Aanholt, Patrick - Loan

Midfielders

Kapo, Oliver - Free Transfer

Assulin, Gai - Free Transfer

Eikrem, Magnus - Loan

McEachran, Josh - Loan

Strikers

Aliadiere, Jermie - Free Transfer

Vassell, Darius - Free Transfer

Saints_logo_2010.PNG

This is probably the best team guide I've ever seen, an amazing work! :cool:

Me too. My Spurs thread is either going to look very cheap next to this or I'm going to have to find an inordinate amount of time to juice it up in the next day.

Great thread, still don't want to be the Saints though.

I'm a gooner, but Southampton have a special place in my heart after my FM10 game with them. In a way, it was a little too easy, but there's nothing quite like storming out of League 1 and straight into the World Club Championships via back to back promotions / premiership title / champions league title.

I hope they are a little harder this time. The chairman seemed to be happy to throw money at me. After I get bored of conquering the world with Arsenal, I'll be sure to give Soton a go.

Awesome thread mate. Started a demo save with The Saints over the weekend. Barnard is banging in goals like a boss since some thug from Tranmere broke Lambert's Ribs after he scored two goals in the first half of the opening game.

I recomend clearing some deadwood from the scouting and bringing in Glenn Cockerill. He's favoured personell of Southampton, he likes the club back and has good attributes.

FM11Jan1Medium.jpg

Lambert had 11 in 19 before tearing his calf muscle. Aliadiere and Barnard have both provided good contributions too. Barney has 9 in 18 and Aliadiere has 3 in 16, but with 8 assists as well.

Lallana has been attracting Fulham's interest, and Puncheon's been knocking a few goals too, 7 in 23... Hammond and Schneiderlin have been solid if unspectacular in the centre, and Guly was brilliant if inconsistent...

Meanwhile at the back, Jay DeMerit and Fonte have been brilliant after a slow start. Fonte's been attracting Premiership interest, and is always a threat at set pieces with 3 goals. Harding and Dickson have both been great at LB, while I had to sign Stephen Darby on loan to cover for an injured Butterfield.

I had signed Basso for goalie, but a couple of bad performances for him have led to him being dropped in favour of Bartman. He's duly repayed me by conceding 5 in 13, including 9 clean sheets!

Can't wait to get a game going on the full version!

Great opening post, probably the best I've seen. I think I'm defiantly going to have to start a game with Southampton when the full game comes out.

Looks to be some good players at the club and the facilities look good. One of the problems I see though is the low determination at the club which I'd probably have to address as I like my sides to be determined.

Alex Chamberlain looks to be a cracking prospect, 16 years old and not too far behind Puncheon. He started two friendlies for me and was rated 8.6 in the first getting two assists and 7.5 in the second where he also scored a 'lucky' goal in a 1-0 victory over a strong Tottenham Hotspur side. I'm tempted to make him first choice on the right wing and see how he fares. I think he'd benefit from a good tutor though but there doesn't seem to be anyone who could at the club currently.

Don't think I'll be alone in signing Smithies. Andrew Davies is also just about possible from Stoke as he's transfer listed. £1.6m over 48 months is a little expensive for a 25 year-old English centre-back who's as good as Fonte but with the added bonus of 18 determination, 16 influence he seems like just the kind of player the squad needs. Captaincy material maybe. My Assistant Manager thinks he should go straight to the top of the queue.

On the note of my Assistant, I sacked Crosby and brought in ex-Middlesbrough coach Colin Cooper. He looks like he'll make a fine Assistant.

Clubs very quickly seem to get interested in Fonte and I think I might move him on in January if it means I can bring in Miles Addison from Derby once he recovers from his injury. I also want to try and bring in Tom Cairney and Conner Wickham from Hull and Ipswich respectively but as it stands it they seem to be just out of reach, maybe next summer.

But for now I think Hammond and Schneiderlin will be my first choice midfield pairing. How would you recommend setting them up?

Great thread mate, have just started a new demo game with my beloved saints :) quick few questions guys, how do you get the player pictures on the demo? and why am i only finding a few of the free players mentioned in free agents threads? I have the Strawberry demo so have the largest on possible??

Thanks for your help :)

Archived