FM11: Southampton F.C. Thread (still sponsored by cheese, clocks and toblerone)

Matthew Le God

My second season couldnt of been more of a contrast to first, i couldnt get out of the bottom half of table and it was 50/50 to what team turned up! I made a mistake of thinking Lambert can make the step up, he cant. Smithies, Schnierderlan and Fonte all want to leave, and the board have started to get on my back.

this is what happens when you only give me 1.2 million for championship building, you cheap swiss bast***d.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cant be bothered with a detailed update...

Season 13/14

Finished 4th in the league, won the FA cup and Carling Cup, Uefa cup was poor.

Season 14/15

Somehow managed to sneak into first ahead of Man U with a lot of luck, but i'm not going to grumble at a league title. Got knocked out of the domestic cups pretty soon and finished bottom of my champions league group.

Squad ready for 2015/16 season:

GK Zeto/Delac

RB Richards/Spence

CB Jones/Sasso

CB Galeano/Bennet

LB Coentrao/Digne

RM Chamberlain/Nani

CM Schneiderlin/McCarthy

CM Eriksen/Gonalons

LM Wilshire/Lallana

ST Sanogo

ST Walcott/Bendtner

Me and my friend started a network game. He took controll of Sheffield Wednesday (our local team) and i took controll of the saints (big league 1 side shouldnt be there just like Wednesday.) Any way suffice to say i messed up with the signings at the start of the season. Missed out on some crackers like Fabien Brandy. Cant recommend Brandy Enough, my friend got him and he propelled Wednesday to the tilte. Smithies is a must for GK will last all the way to the Prem.

fm2011-04-0613-26-03-54.jpg

Due to lack of quality up front i was pipped to the 2nd spot last day of season. All i had to do was win against Bristol City but we blew a host of chances to win, Guly Do Prado got sent off and we drew. Won the Play offs thank fully so all good.

fm2011-04-0613-29-59-66.jpg

On to the Championship and we took that league by storm, start of season expectation was mid table finish but was on top most of the season in main part to a strong defence and awsome attack. Used my parent club Man U to loan two hot strikers Macheda 14 goals in 27 appearences and Bakambu 34 goals i think. (Again cant recommend enough if you get the opportunity to get them.)Made a few bad signings like Gomez and Burgstaller but Delph, Alexa, Rippert were solid choices. My friend put his fist through his laptop a few games away from the end of the season after loosing 3-2 to swansea in last second of match. Had to fork out for a new laptop and transfer the game data over. Love this game lol

fm2011-04-0613-26-10-28-1.jpg

fm2011-04-0613-30-36-21.jpg

Now on to the third season in the promised land of the Premier League. Think we encoutered a bug because the £40mil you get for being in the EPL has not materialsied in both our finances page which is annoying. We are 2 games in first game aginst Arsenal at home We successfully parked the Bus and drew 0-0 in a scrappy game were both side got a red card early on. Secong game agianst Wigan away We lost 1-0 after dominatin play for 70min. threw the kitchen sink at them but couldnt get a break through. Got a feeling its going to be a long hard season but survival was always going to be the name of the game. Will have to see how things pan out especially with the new signings. Got a Feeling Gordan and Pearce will be influencial in my fortunes.

Did any one else notice Guly Do Prado Was made of glass? Might have just been unlucky but the guy sure knows how to pick up injuries. He would go on a 4 or 5 game hot streak then BAM! Out for at least 2 months, worst was 4 months i think. If your wandering i play a 442 formation generally but have back up 4321 and 4231 formations for when big boys come calling. Played the rigid 4321 against arsenal worked a treat.

Hey guys

Started a Southampton game a few weeks back, gotta say its definitely something new and different on this game as I'm usually a Prem team. Wanted a challenge and thought who better than Southampton!

Utterly dominated the first season, winning both the league and the JPT. Star signing was Cedric Bakambu on loan from Man City, who had just signed him. He got something daft like 39 in 31 league games, 50 odd in 40 odd overall. Bit disappointed in Chamberlain, as Chelsea swooped in January (Cortese went over my head) and stole him from me. Cant compete with the bright lights of the capital just yet ;)

Second season was a bit harder with a lot of players not really able to make the step up to a higher level, but again Bakambu on loan was inspired! Not quite as many as his first season but plenty none the less. Im also one of his favoured personnel and Southampton a favourite club now, so hopefully will be able to buy him if we get into Prem. More disappointment with players leaving; Lallana went to Pompey (traitor!), and Schneiderlin left me right in the ***** as he left on the final day of january without me being able to get a replacement in (Interestly, it was Cortese that went over my head again on both these transfers). I left my game paused about 70 mins into the last game of the season this morning as i had to get to work. However, i'm second in the league, but tied on points with blackpool who are third. It's currently 3-1 at home to Hull if iirc, so heres hoping i'll be in the Prem next year.

Cant recommend Bakambu enough on this game, albeit only had him in these two leagues so might not be Prem class, but I'm gonna try and get him and see if he can repeat his form once more. Been playing a fluid 4-2-3-1 deep, with high closing down and shorter passing. It's been a solid tactic for me especially this year, but I'm gonna need better quality of players next year. Can anyone recommend any decent cheap players for me? Its the 11.3 patch, no added databases and it'll be summer 2012, much appreciated!

Can anyone recommend any decent cheap players for me? Its the 11.3 patch, no added databases and it'll be summer 2012, much appreciated!

Julio Baptista - FREE

Lee Griffiths(will also score in the PML!)

Tomas Rosicky

Anthone Van den Borre - can play Right Back and Def Midfield. => in my game, a lot of topclass teams are after him.

Pontus Wernbloom

Swedish defensive midfielder of AZ.

I'm Belgian so I recommend Belgian (top)talents. ;-)

Try to sign Axel Witsel, Chadli, El Ghanassy or Steven Defour.

BTW: Van Den Borre is not a reject of Pompey, they couldn't pay his contract anymore after going down ;-)

At this moment, IRL, he is playing for Genk as Defense Midfielder and is again selected for the National Team... You will hear from him... ex-Pompey or not... ;-)

pooenspiel

I would always recommend looking through Citeh's reserves because they usually transfer list 30% of their squad during the summer.

Try looking at (if they havnt moved already):

Alex Smithies

Vincent Enyeama

Lee Griffiths

Vaclav Kadlec

Romelu Lukaku

Sayed Adnan

Steven N'Zonzi

Christian Fabbiani

Guilhermo Ochoa

Andreas Poli

Yannis Tafer

Yaya Sanogo

Nicolas Otamendi

James Rodriguez

Isaac Vorsah

Christian Obasi

Franco Zuculini

Leonel Galeano

Gabriel Obertan

Sergio Tejera

Lucas Digne

Jordi Gomez

I could go on forever really ha.

Get Torst Grip as a scout and let him do his job in Scandinavia.

The trick is to get toptalents early...

I got five 4,5 potential -17 players at the moment.

All the topteams are after them. They even didn't play a minute so far... ;-)

Redondo - Yeh I usually trawl the Belgian leagues, there are some bargains to be had there. Just a shame Lukaku has already gone to Milan as I wanted him to spearhead next season. Defour would be great as part of the doble pivote in DMC, looks cheap too according to his thread on here. I was only joking about Vanden Borre, I will have a look at him when I get on my game tonight.

SRL88 - There's a few names there I know of, who have already signed for bigger clubs than me. Also as a Man Utd fan, I would never sign Obertan out of principle! About Man City, only problem would be if I get to Prem they might not want to sell me any of their players, but i'll have a scout around them anyways

Cheers lads!

Just a shame Lukaku has already gone to Milan as I wanted him to spearhead next season.

In my save he is at Chelsea...

Already 2 times player of the month...

Bangs them in blindly... ;-))

Ukraine, Russia & Croatia usually produce quite a few gems as well. Every game I start I always load up players from there with national reputation.

I dont think Citeh would mind allowing their players to join you because you would be expected to be battling against relegation.

Too right to the pair of you! Lukaku does bang them in eyes closed and we will be battling relegation haha! Love the challenge though. Gotta keep a few english players though because of the homegrown ruling, otherwise i'd have a great team of Eastern European talent!

I decided I'm gonna try and train the next Le Tissier, which would be awesome. Means I need to upgrade youth facilities and training facilities though!

Too right to the pair of you! Lukaku does bang them in eyes closed and we will be battling relegation haha! Love the challenge though. Gotta keep a few english players though because of the homegrown ruling, otherwise i'd have a great team of Eastern European talent!

I decided I'm gonna try and train the next Le Tissier, which would be awesome. Means I need to upgrade youth facilities and training facilities though!

Strenghten your team first before upgrading your facilities(do this in the 2nd or 3rd season of PML football) or it will be one way ticket back to where you come from ;-)

Moral of the story is if you have big talent at your club slap a 100mil price tag on them. It stops a flood of trasfer offers for a player which could unsettle them or worst yet have the board step in on *your behalf* dont always work but welll worth doing. I managed to hang on to Chamberlain, Lallana and Schneiderlan that way.

started as southampton this morning

playing 4-4-1-1

signed:

Alex Smithies (750K)

Jordan Spence(on Loan)

Haris Vuckic (on Loan)

Anthony bartholome (Free)

Vratislav Gresko (Free)

Mahamadou Sidibe (Free)

Jlloyd Samuel (From bolton for 1,2M over 48 months, couldn't resist)

Andrius Velicka (on Loan for 45K and an option to buy him for 150K)

Shane Duffy (on Loan)

Kali (Free)

Antal Botond (free young prospect)

Jiri Bilek (1,2M over 48 months.. The best player in the league i think he can even play in PL)

Until know played 3 games for the league including 2-1 victory over Colchester and a 3-0 victory over Dag & Red and an embarrassing 4-1 loss against Exeter

played 2 rounds of league cup against leyton orient and portsmouth away winning both with 3-0

Will post update later after i play some more months!

started as southampton this morning

playing 4-4-1-1

signed:

Alex Smithies (750K)

Jordan Spence(on Loan)

Haris Vuckic (on Loan)

Anthony bartholome (Free)

Vratislav Gresko (Free)

Mahamadou Sidibe (Free)

Jlloyd Samuel (From bolton for 1,2M over 48 months, couldn't resist)

Andrius Velicka (on Loan for 45K and an option to buy him for 150K)

Shane Duffy (on Loan)

Kali (Free)

Antal Botond (free young prospect)

Jiri Bilek (1,2M over 48 months.. The best player in the league i think he can even play in PL)

If you don't win the league with this team, you didn't do well! ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hows it going lads? Just starting my second season with the saints, finished 2nd 1 point behind Peterborough on 108 pts. Im confident in my teams ability in all positions except for cm and st. Can you reccommend two top quality players to fill these positions? Iv got about 1.2m to spend....

Well I started a Saints save and had a great first season winning league 1 with ease, in the summer the chairman sold 3 of my top players so i played on regardless and signed some really amazing players for the championship. Having a great first half sitting top miles ahead of the pack my chairman decides to sell another 3 of my players, its a joke and I have given up on this save...has this happened to anyone else? I get that sometimes chairman's intervene with transfers but 6 of my best players is beyond a joke. Has completely ruined the game for me.

Ah young Padawan. Look at my post i did previously some where near the bottom of the page. You have to set your players asking price to £100m! I did this as soon as i started my save with my mate and managed to hang on to all the players i wanted too the Premiership. It just stops countless bids being made for your players which your chairman will accept given the right amount. Still got Chamberlain who is a first team regular but sold Schneiderlain and Lallana third season in premiership and im currently in second challenging for the title :) will post an update soon.

HELLO!

Southampton seemed like a great challenge having never started lower down than the championship.

Here's what my squad is. Currently top of League 1 by 5 points and in the QF of the League Cup. I play a wide 4-2-2-2 incs 2 anchor men and 2 wide men in midfield

* indicates a summer signing

Alex Smithies* 700K

Kelvin Davis

D Appiah * Season long loan

José Fonte

Dmitry Verkhovtsov * 300K

Jordan Spence * Season long loan

Dan Harding

Radhi Jaïdi

+ A mystery right back, *ivorian for 200K - i forget his name

Edu* (free)

B Bannan* 5 month loan

Morgan Schneiderlin

Dean Hammond

Richard Chaplow

John Fleck *(5 month loan deal)

Jonathan Forte

Adam Lallana

Alex Chamberlain

Rickie Lambert

Lee Barnard

C Bakambu* (season long loan)

Guilherme do Prado

F Brandy* (free)

Starting XI

GK: Smithies

DEF: Appiah - Verkhovtsov - Fonte - Spence

MID: Edu - Bannan (holding)

MID: Chamberlain - Fleck (wide advance)

ST: Bakambu - Lambert

Subs: Davies, Dan Harding, Radhi Jaïdi, Schneiderlin, Lallana, do Prado, L Barnard

Ok so just finished 2014/15 season and finished 4th on 76 points only 4 behind City who are dominating the game winning the league 3 in a row. Missed out on 3rd by 3 points. Arsenal beat Man U last day of season 1-0 denying me auto qualification was gutted. My mate finished 7th with Wednesday on 64pts but got into EC. Got to play Spartak Moscow to qualify for the Champions league proper. Also managed to get to the final of the FA cup only to be denied by City again :(. My buy of the season was Cristian eriksen a danish AMC/MC who chipped in with an astonishing 28 assists and 8 goals in all comps. hes two footed so recommend him as a buy. Bakambu was on fire with 34 goals in all comps although i hardly played him in the cups so 31 goals in league second top scorer behind Cavanni of City. Just got Neymar on a freebie for the coming season lol

This is alex from 2015, he only had Jason Puncheon tutor him but was unable to trasnfer JP's determination to Alex but still hes a first team regular and chipped in with a few good assists alex.jpg

Hello me again. Really get through this save fast!

Won league 1 at a canter. Child's Play and im currently in January and ive only lost 1 game in the Championship. Im like 20 points clear! cant believe it. Was predicted to finish 15th.

Dmitry Verkhovtsov continues to score an insane amount of goals from CB. Fleck, Chamberlain & Lallana are all approaching double figures. Main star is Goodwillie though. 24 in 24 i think it is so far! Sadly Dembele broke his leg but Bakumbu has filled his shoes scoring 2 hat-tricks in 3 games! Best game of the season a 5-5 with man utd in the league cup QF which Saints won on pens!

Bit early to say this but ' WE ARE PREMIER LEAGUE, SAY WE ARE PREMIER LEAGUE!'

Heres my squad. * indicates signing or loans

Alex Smithies

M Delac* (season long loan)

D Appiah

José Fonte

Dmitry Verkhovtsov

Jordan Spence * Season long loan

L Digne* 7 month loan

L Wallace* 1.7m

G Donati* - Free

R Toloi - *5 month loan deal

K Broadfoot* - 250K

Edu

Morgan Schneiderlin

Dean Hammond

T Harova - Think thats how you spell it - hes czech

T Cairney* (5 month loan deal)

John Fleck *(season long loan)

Alex Chamberlain

Adam Lallana

Rickie Lambert

L Griffiths* - 1.2m

D Goodwillie - 2.0m

Garra Dembele - 700K

C Bakambu* (season long loan)

Starting XI

GK: Delac

DEF: Appiah - Verkhovtsov - Toloi - Wallace

MID CENTRE: Morgan Schneiderlin - Harova

MID WIDE : Lallana - Fleck

ST: Bakambu - Goodwillie

Subs: Smithies, Jordan Spence, Digne, Edu, Cairney, Griffiths, Dembele

@Addave wow some squad you got there. I won championship in second season but didnt have a squad that good, mainly loans. See you did the good thing and got Bakambu on loan. Id recommend buying him or loaning him again when you hit PL which you look like securing even in Jan.

i know so happy with my squad. Southampton are a sleeping giant. Managed to secure Goodwillie, Griffiths and Dembele was crazy - i admit im flirting close to a financial crisis but a promotion to the prem league will sort that.

Yeh Bakambu is on my radar for next season.

Will post an update once i hit the premiership

I just started a new game with the saints the other day.. and i feeling it, but now in the championship im finding that my squad isnt wide enough, and therefore could u tell me if any of my youth is worth trying out?

its patch 1.0.3...

Starting youth offcourse

Just started a game as the Saints as I'm little bored of my Utd save and fancy something different for a while. Only made 1 permanent signing, spending £400k on Jose Semedo from Charlton, a player who completes the team and tactic I want to play. The squad has good, youthful quality in depth, with the loan signings of Ryan Tunnicliffe of Manchester United, Chuks Aneke of Arsenal and Freddie Sears of West Ham joining till the end of the season. My main aim is to win the league, if not seal promotion.

Started a save with Southampton, i won league 1 with my 1st attempt notching up 104 points scoring 110 goals :) conceeding 47.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/593/npowerleague1informatiot.png/ <-------- Link of the end of season league 1 table

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/7/southamptontransfershis.png/ <-------- Link of my transfers in league 1

Daniel Zlatkov is an amazing cb so glad i signed him, he is from a bulgarian team and is a great partner for Fonte, here a screenshot of him below.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/24/danielzlatkovprofileatt.png/

As im in the championship now i put midtable finish as my expectation and i got £2.5mil i think, i then asked the board for somemore and they gave me an extra £500,000 :) here are the transfers i have made in the championship so far, i'm only looking to bring in one more player a cb, just awaiting if he has accepted my contract offer.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/5/southamptontransfershis.png/ <------ Link to my transfers in the championship

Oh and i forgot to mention, i bought a playuer called Kike (aka Messi :D) in league 1 and he scored 38 goals in 47 games for me :) only cost £250k i think

Lambert scored 1 in 19 games :@ so im trying to sell him, puncheon scored 15 and set up 17

Just about to start my first championship game now

Well after numerous BSN/S to Premier League games I've finally divulged into my beloved Southampton to bring them back to the promise land of the Premier League.

So far after 23 games in L1 I'm top and undefeated, P23 W19 D4 L0 Scored 49 Conceded 12

Febian Brandy has just torn his calf muscle and is out for 3/4 months.

I'm struggling with Lambert though no matter what role I have for him he cannot seem to score like he does IRL. Lallana is chipping in with a few goals on Left Wing and Chamberlain is getting the assists on the Right Wing.

Now without Brandy, I'm relying on N'Guessan to keep scoring since Guly has now dried up after an impressive 6 goals in the first 3 games.

Not got much of a transfer budget for the Jan transfer widow, might have to rely on loans to back up the already impressive squad.

Freddie Sears really is top Championship/Lower Prem quality, yet willing to join Saints on loan. Been very good for me so far. It's his pace that causes real problems, coupled with decent finishing and dribbling stats for this league.

yeah had sears on loan for 3 months, didn't have the greatest of trips including being sent off 5 mins into his debut for a double footed and being subsequently banned for 3 games. Almost finished the season with the title looking like it's all wrapped up. Will post an end of season review tomorrow

So i got promoted from league 1 and i won the jpt as i posted a few posts above :) i have now been promoted to the premier league in my first season, i came 2nd, leicester won the championship and west brom won the playoffs.

I signed a few good players like Simeon Jackson who scored 24 goals and set up 18 he got my player of season, febian brandy scored 21 and my other stiker scored 14 i was the top scorers in the league scoring 104 goals, btw it went down to the last game to see who went up between me and west brom, i was 3rd and i needed a win and i needed west brom to draw or lose, ofcourse i beat cardiff 6-1 and west brom drew

i have signed 1 player so far kerlon from inter milan on a freee as he was out of contract, i havent reached 1st of july yet so gonna bring a few more players in mainly defenders...and i have been given £31 million on transfers :) to avoid relegation, i could of got 23.5 million for attempting to avoid but im confident i wont go down.

here are some screen shots :)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/829/npowerchampionshipinforo.png/ <------ Championship Table

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/29/southamptontransfershis.png/ <------ Transfer's For Championship

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/842/thomasayasseprofileattr.png/ <------ Thomas Ayasse

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/705/marcorossiprofileattrib.png/ <------ Marco Rossi

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40/simeonjacksonhistorycar.png/ <------ Simeon Jackson

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/38/adamlallanahistorycaree.png/ <------ Adam Lallana

About to come to the end of a really errr.. inconsistent but successful season. That's probably the best way of putting it. The team would go through patches where they would destroy anybody and everybody, but then one bad game would mean the start of 3-4 bad games. However, we have finished 2nd, meaning automatic promotion to the Championship. The league winners were Peterborough, who were just incredible, getting over 100 points in total.

My main stand out performer was Morgan Sneiderlein, always popping up with goals and generally great to watch. Chamberlain's good performances haven't gone unnoticed either, with both Chelsea and Man Utd looking at him, so I'm going to have to resist any urge to cash in and convince him to stay all the same.

Will update with my summer transfers etc.. later.

• 2 weeks later...
Can anyone help me, I am in desperate need of a new assistant manager and nobody decent is applying for the job! Does anyone have any reccomendations? Start of first season, 11.3. Thanks

You may try to sign Dave Watson, youth coach from Wigan, or Terry McDermott assistant from huddersfield. I find them both interesting. Or even if you are low on funds good possibility would be Simon hunt scout on a free

Having trouble with the chairman, after winning League 1 he sold Lambert for 3 million and now halfway through 2nd season battling for the playoffs he is selling Schniederlin for 5 million. How can I stop him getting involved?

Any good replacements suggested for Schniederlin? Worst of all I only got 1 million back to replace him with!

Tom Cairney on loan if possible :thup:

I got back to back promotions with the Saints, got off to a really bad start in the Prem, picking up only 3 wins and just about staying above the relegation spots (we must have thrown away 1-0 leads about 5 times in the first half of the season, so annoying). But then out of nowhere, City decided to offer me a job, so I saved it there and then with Saints, moved to City and resaved it under a new name. I can go back to Saints when I'm ready but for now I might as well have some fun with City. Just paid out £10m to bring Chamberlain with me though :D

I just finished my first season as the Saints and almost got the Swiss Army Knife in the back while finishing 2nd on the final day of the season cause Bournemouth didn't want second spot either. Although my poor cup runs didn't help my cause either >_>.

I did buy a Bulgarian Striker, Ivan Tsvetkov, on a free transfer though who was the bright spot of my season. In his partnership with Rickie Lambert they combined to score half my league goals for the season, thought he got off to a slow start as was almost about to be nicknamed Ivan the Terrible, until I gave him the best motivational speech in the history of football (Well since Sir Alex muttered something in his brogue to Ole before sending him on against Notts forrest anyway) and he came out and scored a hat-trick and proceded to score 7 in his next 3 games.

Now if someone would the Chairman an arm lengthener and some bug spray to get the spiders out of his deep pockets, I might be able to sign someone for my Championship campaign.

Edit...

After a summer of signing nothing but frees Opening match of the championship was moved back to televise The South Coast Derby. A packed St. Mary's Stadium saw Southampton stuff Pompey 3-1! Only disappointing thing about this match (besides Portsmouth scoring late) was that all my goals came from dead ball situations hope that's not a sign of things to come.

Having trouble with the chairman, after winning League 1 he sold Lambert for 3 million and now halfway through 2nd season battling for the playoffs he is selling Schniederlin for 5 million. How can I stop him getting involved?

Any good replacements suggested for Schniederlin? Worst of all I only got 1 million back to replace him with!

When a offer is accepted by the chairman, if you offer them a new contract, there is a chance they'll stay. I've found that Lambert, Schniederlin and Lallana all tend to stay at Saints.

Archived