Speed up FM09

1.) Hack into SI

2.) Download source code

3.) Fix the damn thing

4.) Compile

5.) Play

Thats probably the only way. Forget about killing background programs, defraging and other things that in reality don't matter much.

Does anyone know how can i speed up FM09? Besides choosing an small database and cut down on the number of leagues and details level.....

Thx.

What are your current computer specs i.e Type and speed of processor, amount of ram you have, amount of hard drive space you have (this is not the same as ram), type of graphics card and amount of ram it has. If you are not sure how to find this information the point your mouse at the my computer icon and right click then select properties from the menu. Post back with what it says and you might get some better help.

1.) Hack into SI

2.) Download source code

3.) Fix the damn thing

4.) Compile

5.) Play

Thats probably the only way. Forget about killing background programs, defraging and other things that in reality don't matter much.

Thanks m8, I´m on step 3 ..... not an easy job!!! lol

Surprisingly guys none of you have asked how much RAM is he running using, what operating sytem and what CPU

If this is listed we may be able to ffer some more informed advice :)

(Now seriously)

I´m not saying my PC specs are irrelevant, but i´m not going to upgrade it just to play FM. Also, in my case, re-installing the OS, defrag my disk or killing background programs may not help. What i want to know if there is any way of disabling the 3d engine which i think is the reason why FM09 is slower than FM08.

Thx.

Got to be rubbish as that as I have a great Laptop and mines slower than Sol Campbell when it comes to matchday tactics and stuff.

You say great laptop, but laptops usually have heavy background apps and high RAM usage and poor onboard graphics cards.

I've seen very few people with modern PCs that are patched up with latest drivers etc. have any issues running the game at speed.

If it's disabled in preferences it doesn't even appear as an option on matchday, meaning it isnt' running in the background or anything, as opposed to being able to select it and then seemlessly switching between 3D and 2D.

If turning it off in preferences isn't helping, you aren't going to be able to do anything to speed it up.

Surprisingly guys none of you have asked how much RAM is he running using, what operating sytem and what CPU

If this is listed we may be able to ffer some more informed advice :)

I'm having a similar problem, as it is very slow at loading all the other results for example during an international week. My computer has 512mb RAM(which i know is not enough). How much RAM would i need to upgrade to to get the game running properly? Also I can't have the 3D mode so what graphics card would i need to get in order to have 3D mode and how much would it cost?

Disabling the 3d engine shouldnt really make much difference to the processing speed (i wouldnt have thought) as it is only processor intensive when the 3d engine is actually running - someone correct me if im wrong.

The issue will be your processor and your ram.

I am running it on a dual core laptop with 2gb ram and a 128mb laptop. I would say that for comfotable playing conditions this is a minimum spec - ignore the stuff on the back of the box.

I only have 3 nations and about 10 leagues running on a medium database...this is a guide for you purposes. Why not start with just england and small database and work your way up until you find the optimum amount of leagues etc?

I'm having a similar problem, as it is very slow at loading all the other results for example during an international week. My computer has 512mb RAM(which i know is not enough). How much RAM would i need to upgrade to to get the game running properly? Also I can't have the 3D mode so what graphics card would i need to get in order to have 3D mode and how much would it cost?

See post above. Id suggest at least 2gb ram.

Graphics, depends if you're running a laptop or a desktop. You can get a 128mb graphics card for next to nothing these days for a desktop. You can probably get 256mb for similar prices (£50?).

What are the best free antivirus and antispyware programs out there now? It's been a while since I've updated.

I've been using avg8 for a while now and not had any virus\spyware issues for ages.

have a look for yourself at http://www.avg-download-free.org/

I would also suggest you download crap cleaner from http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/ It's very good at getting rid of all the other muck on your computer.

I'm running a duro core2 processor with 3GB of ram on XP the game runs fine and I have about 20 leagues, but the match engine lags usually everytime there is a stop in play. like a goalkick or a free kick. I even updated my grahics card drivers but that didn't help either. maybe its just the game and we need to wait for the second patch.

Yes, mine is slow too.

MUCH slower than FM08.

I have a dual core laptop with 2gig of ram. I'm only running the English League (admittedly down to the BSN / BSS). The 3D match engine is fine but updating from day to day and calculating results is slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...

Too slow. Off puttingly slow. Killing the game.

if you have not reinstalled your OS for about 2 years especially, you can defrag and do all the rubbish you want your PC will still have some amount of crap on it you can't get rid of. They difference after a reinstall is refreshing :D

Are you seriously suggesting someone re-installs their OS to speed up Football Manager 2009? Scary bastid.

There's numerous reasons why FM is slow. None of them will be the least bit impacted by the file system or the registry .. sadly. I'd say that, well, yes, the codebase is the issue. Its nasty, obfuscated, bloated, un-optimized turd burger. Its probably not even properly modularised and has been hacked on and layered on for years, with all manner of deprecated branches, dead ends, weird bits and ancient horribly inefficient segments. Dirty hacks to fix bugs quickly and nobody ever investing the right time and resources in a re-write.

(Now seriously)

I´m not saying my PC specs are irrelevant, but i´m not going to upgrade it just to play FM. Also, in my case, re-installing the OS, defrag my disk or killing background programs may not help. What i want to know if there is any way of disabling the 3d engine which i think is the reason why FM09 is slower than FM08.

Thx.

Well thats not clever thinking. I would have explained that adding RAM these days is very cheap and bang for buck will make the cheapest most impressive change in FM09 game processing

3d engine - If you want speed that up just move the slider

With all games processing and memory requirements get bigger wjilst your PC updates. If you still dont want to upgrade then you'll just have to suffer with a slower game with small database etc

Your choice fella

Quoting gubbs

---------------There's numerous reasons why FM is slow. None of them will be the least bit impacted by the file system or the registry .. sadly. I'd say that, well, yes, the codebase is the issue. Its nasty, obfuscated, bloated, un-optimized turd burger. Its probably not even properly modularised and has been hacked on and layered on for years, with all manner of deprecated branches, dead ends, weird bits and ancient horribly inefficient segments. Dirty hacks to fix bugs quickly and nobody ever investing the right time and resources in a re-write.------------------

Quoting this evening seems impossible, maybe they are using the same code also into the forum :-)

Gubbs, you are super right. I wouldn't have found better words to summarize it up. Sadly they added lot of craps here and there that the game is ages slower than 08 even on quicker pc. Shame on SI.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived